FlimFlamm

How would you feel if 1st person perspective was mandatory?

3PP vs 1PP  

328 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel if 3pp was removed and 1pp was mandatory?

• I would feel neutral about it
    • I would feel concerned about it
    • I would feel utterly disgusted by it
    • I would feel OK about it
    • I would absolutely love it

Why should we force 1st person?

Give me one good reason, that isn't "muh realism" as to why 3PP should be removed.

We have separate 1PP and 3PP servers on separate hives, so whats the issue? People who like 1PP can play on their servers and people who like 3PP can play on their own servers without ever encountering one another.

If the issue is something like "There aren't enough high-pop 1PP servers" have you considered that it may be because people prefer 3PP and you're just being selfish?

Also, didn't read the thread. Reading threads is for chumps

I expect that a ton of people would be very upset, we would lose a lot of players. But, I think that a lot of people who try 1PP would realize how much better the game is that way and we would be left with an all around better community. Maybe we would even lose some of the people who do nothing but complain. 

Also, please note everyone has the disadvantage/advantage looking over walls.

Still true but still not really the point as it is about the emerging gameplay that is neither authentic (seeing behind objectis without actually looking over/around them) nor enjoyable (emphasizes camping and static gameplay) nor more strategic (fewer available strategies and no counterplay) nor fair (vision is still asymmetric and favor whoever just happens to be closer to an obstacle).

No it's not cheating. And no third person should not be removed because of this. But peeking still needs to be addressed. And if it's done we can finally bury all those "1st vs 3rd" topics and stop needlessly splitting the public hive into two separate parts. And of course we can finally play in third person without the peeking gameplay and play first person with third person players without a handicap.

Edited by Evil Minion

Everyone who bitches about wall peeking being unfair should go do it for a while and then let me know how it ends up when they get shot eventually any ways, by some one doing it back to them.

You don't get an omnipresent eyeball, you're always vulnerable to another angle, it's not unfair, it's not an exploit unless you consider shit like listening for people an exploit too.  

The most ironic part about this shit is the lack of perspective people who are against third person actually have.  Use your brains please, think past your immediate scenario of you being shot by a guy you didn't see, put your bias aside and reason it out.  Everyone's using the same tools and everyone is vulnerable, it's a matter of positioning not camera.  You could change the camera any way you want, and the person in ambush is still going to have the advantage.  It's you who are failing when you die to this, not the mechanic.

If you don't like playing like that, then that is your personal preference.  If you find that style of combat boring, that is your right and preference.  Play first person.  What is inaccurate is to start saying it is "cheating" to start saying the mechanic is "flawed" that it is "unfair."  It is none of these things objectively, you are the one with the problem not the camera.  You want it changed because you can't cope.  It's the same as if you went into counter strike and said you wanted a third person camera.  The game is fine, learn to play.

Edited by Bororm

Everyone who bitches about wall peeking being unfair should go do it for a while and then let me know how it ends up when they get shot eventually any ways, by some one doing it back to them.

You don't get an omnipresent eyeball, you're always vulnerable to another angle, it's not unfair, it's not an exploit unless you consider shit like listening for people an exploit too.  

The most ironic part about this shit is the lack of perspective people who are against third person actually have.  Use your brains please, think past your immediate scenario of you being shot by a guy you didn't see, put your bias aside and reason it out.  Everyone's using the same tools and everyone is vulnerable, it's a matter of positioning not camera.  You could change the camera any way you want, and the person in ambush is still going to have the advantage.  It's you who are failing when you die to this, not the mechanic.

If you don't like playing like that, then that is your personal preference.  If you find that style of combat boring, that is your right and preference.  Play first person.  What is inaccurate is to start saying it is "cheating" to start saying the mechanic is "flawed" that it is "unfair."  It is none of these things objectively, you are the one with the problem not the camera.  You want it changed because you can't cope.  It's the same as if you went into counter strike and said you wanted a third person camera.  The game is fine, learn to play.

Wrong. Some people think it breaks immersion. And those people are the ones who know what's best for everyone. They think they have the right to tell everyone how they should enjoy the game they want.

Oh and yeah, 3pp is only for dress wearing broom wielding coast rats as well.

Nobody wants 3pp.

#sarcasm btw

• Like 1

I would enjoy the low pop servers for about two weeks.

Before the players realize that they have no lives outside of their bedroom.

So the servers have more people.

And I have more loot than everyone.

So I plant landmines in front of the prison at Dolina.

And sit around and do nothing because no one goes to Dolina

and then end up saying "fuck it, I've been alive too long" and blow myself up

and travel to berizino and find a player with my old gear.

yupp.. hardcore..

• Like 1

??  explanation ??

What's there to explain? We wipe the loot with every 4 hour restart on UKA servers to prevent loot issues and all the loot respawning in one location on the map. Kept things running smoothly over the last couple of months.

As opposed to 3rd person camera glitching, which isn't gonna be prevented fully as it's just one of those things with having a 3rd person perspective in a game.

id be a quitter if they took it away because i have bad eyes and the 1pp has to much movement and too much going on with the whole screen. which is not the case with 3pp

What's there to explain? We wipe the loot with every 4 hour restart on UKA servers to prevent loot issues and all the loot respawning in one location on the map. Kept things running smoothly over the last couple of months.

As opposed to 3rd person camera glitching, which isn't gonna be prevented fully as it's just one of those things with having a 3rd person perspective in a game.

If anyone doesn't like this post please delete it, and excuse me.

quoting eugenharton

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/223307-central-economy/#entry2243705

Respawn tick happens every 5 seconds as does cleanup

Each class has nominal/minimal/maximum values defined. When a items class gets to a minimal value (usualy about 50%) it start respawning based on priorities.

Tents and backpacks/cases have the value greatly increased while other items diminish in matter of hours.

While the system cleans these items, it quickly starts restocking the original spawn points (memory points on buildings).

Items in tents/backpacks/player inventories are not part of the calculation!

you understand what this means

so .. very SADLY ..because this makes me sad .. to go back to my question:

<<we wipe the loot with every 4 hour restart on UKA servers to prevent loot issues and all the loot respawning in one location on the map>>

- every 4 hours you wipe everyone's tents and backpacks on the ground ?

- you clean up behind the exploiters ?

Edited by pilgrim

If anyone doesn't like this post please delete it, and excuse me.

quoting eugenharton

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/223307-central-economy/#entry2243705

Respawn tick happens every 5 seconds as does cleanup

Each class has nominal/minimal/maximum values defined. When a items class gets to a minimal value (usualy about 50%) it start respawning based on priorities.

Tents and backpacks/cases have the value greatly increased while other items diminish in matter of hours.

While the system cleans these items, it quickly starts restocking the original spawn points (memory points on buildings).

Items in tents/backpacks/player inventories are not part of the calculation!

you understand what this means

so .. very SADLY ..because this makes me sad .. to go back to my question:

<<we wipe the loot with every 4 hour restart on UKA servers to prevent loot issues and all the loot respawning in one location on the map>>

- every 4 hours you wipe everyone's tents and backpacks on the ground ?

- you clean up behind the exploiters ?

That loot economy description isn't the loot system that's in 0.55 at the moment, that's the new system.

From monitoring loot respawning on UKA servers, if I don't reset loot, things just tend to respawn in a single location regardless of exploiting it.

I don't wipe tents and backpacks because of exploiters, I wipe it to keep loot consistent. I send this warning out to everyone in a server message, and I believe people are happy with it given the circumstances as UKA 3rd Person being a top 10 server and our 1st Person server being one of the most popular 1PP server.

Edited by Euphobia
  • Like 1

Well said ColdAtrophy. I actually find I die much less on 3PP servers. 

Funny thing I found out is, that my enemies overlooked me a lot more on 1pp than on 3pp.

Often I was hidden in bush or pine tree (1pp) and squad went by without even noticing me.

Sometimes all it took was being prone in high grass to remain hidden.

I guess I'm trying to say that in 1pp, it is a lot harder to spot folks, which often results in chance to avoid fire fight completely.

If you die a lot less in 3pp, then I guess you are very good in taking full advantage of 3pp camera  ;)

• Like 2

400th thread of 1pp, nobody cares man stop shoving this garbage down peoples faces. Some of us require it and get headaches.

I have a good sight too, not everyone is trying to exploit the game you know.

• Like 2

You don't get an omnipresent eyeball, you're always vulnerable to another angle, i

Unless you're.......

On a roof

In a ditch

behind a wall

on some stairs

In a room

on a hill

on top of a castle

Or any one of the numerous places this poster doesn't know about.

• Like 1

nobody cares

Obviously. That's why we never see topics or posts about it. Edited by Evil Minion

Oh yeah, give the devs some bad ideas so they can kill this off faster. Great thinking.

This is an interesting thread for a few reasons...

The poll shows that a lot of people are O.K with 1pp, and that also a lot of people are passionately against 1pp only. The latter is shown not only in the poll but also in many of the responses to the thread :)

This thread was never intended as an argument for 1pp only or to influence the devs, but instead to explore opinions and get to the root differences between the two camps of opinion. A lot of people had been talking about it (it's always been a classical DayZ issue) and with the changes to 3pp coming there was a lot of varied discussion about what's what, so I thought a 'feeling' based poll would be a great way to elicit opinions. Turns out it was quite effective!

It seems that the main fissure runs between the issue of "peeking around corners and above walls" line of argument, with the typical counter either being "You can wall look too" or "wall looking isn't that effective".

I have talked to many people and most of them seem to be favorable toward 1pp, and so I found it curious that 3pp servers were more popular. The poll seems to show in favor of 1pp, but still 3pp servers are more popular.

Is this a case of hypocrisy? Are the 3pp players so dedicated that their numbers attracts more traffic from the hypocritical 1pp enthusiasts? :D

If I had to conclude based on reading the thread, I would say that 3pp remains more popular, and will remain more popular, because while people like the idea of a difficult game, they prefer to take short cuts (please forgive me, ye crowd who sayeth 3pp does not give tactical advantages).

So I guess I'm calling most of us hypocrites. Including myself actually. I have more hours on 3pp servers than I do on 1pp servers. Sometimes because of the higher population, sometimes because 1pp is less convenient when it comes to looting, hunting, landmark navigation, and yes, pvp.

My third cent.

TL;DR: 3PP will never go away, nor should it. The devs probably are going to try and remove wall peeking from 3pp by changing the way the camera rotates around you. We all say that we want difficulty and we consider ourselves purists but we're all hypocrites. The popularity of 3pp server and the results of this poll proves it.

This thread overfloweth...

Edited by FlimFlamm

400th thread of 1pp, nobody cares man stop shoving this garbage down peoples faces. Some of us require it and get headaches.

I have a good sight too, not everyone is trying to exploit the game you know.

I never wanted to shove 1pp upon anyone.

All I wanted was for people to share their opinion, for or against, whatever it may be, just as you have done.

The fact that 1pp only can cause some people headaches is an excellent reason why 3pp should never go away.

At the same time it's relevant to my desire to understand the why behind the differences in popularity of 1pp and 3pp servers.

Without the fog of war blah blah -snip- blah.

Man... I do not like RTS engines AT ALL.

But I would LOVE Resident Evil with a chance for friendlies/bandits on a large map.

What game is this?

Starcraft with zombies?

Some people just CANNOT see past the PvP aspects of DayZ.

Unless a clan supports you 24/7, you're going to spend a lot of time just staying healthy, let alone worry about the 5 minutes you might spend in PvP that week total.

Mmmm, I can't WAIT for all the changes, all the tears, all the people who leave who I will forget ever posted here....

It's gonna be like "no guns in log cabins" level tears x1,000.

Unless you're.......

On a roof

In a ditch

behind a wall

on some stairs

In a room

on a hill

on top of a castle

Or any one of the numerous places this poster doesn't know about.

Spoken like some one who's either never actually played, or can't think another step beyond as I've already mentioned.

Almost every roof top/hill/elevated position has another one higher/equally high to it.  Let's also not forget that you can't fire on anyone without exposing yourself.  The person who is waiting for the player to pop up to shoot actually has the advantage if he knows some one is there, because of the delay in going from prone to crouching/standing.  You know how you can completely negate anyone on an elevated position?  Assume they are there.  Easy, done.  If you can't assume where people are going to be and put cover between yourself and them then you need to play more.

And going back to the omnipresent eyeball thing, if you are prone behind a ledge, you can't look down for shit.  That's why people are ridiculous in these discussions, they grossly over estimate just how much you can even see.  Go do this stuff for periods of time, it is not nearly as bad as people pretend.

Even in situations like behind a corner in a room, with no windows, there's always the option of being defensive rather than offensive.  Just because you can't charge around a corner at some one doesn't mean it's an impossible situation.  How many fights in the jail have you had where you came out on top, breaching?  I've had numerous.  You don't win them all, but that's the game.  It's whoever makes the best of the situation.

Let's take the exact same scenario in first person, the person in the jail around the corner just has to position himself at the back of the hall instead of at the corner, he still has the advantage as soon as the other player comes around, and if he's sitting still he has the advantage of hearing the other player coming.  Or he can even just choose to sit at that corner and wait for the doors to open, he doesn't even have to expose himself because you can hear them open.  He chose a better position for the tools he has, it has nothing to do with the camera, except to adapt your strategy.  If you can't adapt your strategy, to fit the tools that everyone has, then you are going to fail.  That doesn't make it unfair, that doesn't make it cheating, that means you as and individual have failed.

Learn to play instead of asking the game to change for you.

Edited by Bororm

400th thread of 1pp, nobody cares man stop shoving this garbage down peoples faces. S

Yet there are 200 ish posts in such a short time.

If you don't care don't respond to the thread.

No I care....

I care that you cheap mugs, get off your arces and start paying for your own servers and host up 1pp.

Ill host my own 3pp, so the 5th post in 1 day Not merged into one thread..... clearly showed that nobody did a search, nobody decided to post a new 1pp server for all the people in the forums.

I just think its 1 person posting 5 threads clearly trying to forcely put 1pp as the only part of the game.

But guess what, you cant change hosted servers =D

• Like 1

quoted for truth. 

->1pp players kicked up a storm about how they couldn't have their immersion without being at a disadvantage

->Devs Listen and Give 1pp only its own seperate hive so they never have to deal with peeking again.

->1pp 'advocates' and 'elitists' continue to whine about the existence of 3pp daily. GO PLAY YOUR DAM 1PP SERVER AND STOP CRYING ALREADY.

this is beyond a dead horse topic at this point. the horse has decayed and turned to nothing but a skeleton and the same vocal minority continue to bash away at it day after day.

No I care....

I care that you cheap mugs, get off your arces and start paying for your own servers and host up 1pp.

Ill host my own 3pp, so the 5th post in 1 day Not merged into one thread..... clearly showed that nobody did a search, nobody decided to post a new 1pp server for all the people in the forums.

I just think its 1 person posting 5 threads clearly trying to forcely put 1pp as the only part of the game.

But guess what, you cant change hosted servers =D

This, this and a million times this.

1pp only ey, I really don't care as long as I get more guns to play with. Besides I'll get my shotgun powers back.

Lots of assumptions here. Chief amongst which is that people that like 3PP are blind because they "haven't seen the light of 1PP."

Well yes, I'm willing to bet a lot of us have. Doesn't mean that once we've tried it, we're introduced to the land of never-ending boobs and cheese-steaks never to return to the land of woe and want!

I prefer 3PP when traveling, which is 90% of DayZ. I like being able to see my character, it immerses me just the same as seeing nothing more than the last six inches of a firearm all day. It's really that simple, I like being able to see my character, that's about all I care about.

I prefer 1PP when in firefights, because it helps me actually hit what I'm aiming at.

3PP needs work. I don't like that it's exploitable. It should have more disadvantages than it does now.

But dead horse is dead. Extremism on either end isn't going to resurrect said deceased horse.

• Like 2