billyangstadt

Please, stop building villages everywhere

...Could we at least have proper zombie counts? Hordes in the cities?

That way: small village - small risk, small reward

City - high risk, high reward

They are doing something towards that in .56:

-From the .56 temp changelog-

• System: Redistribution of existing infected spawns to high population areas

They are doing something towards that in .56:

-From the .56 temp changelog-

• System: Redistribution of existing infected spawns to high population areas

Tried it on experimental. A bunch of zombies in bigger cities and military zones - better, but still far from good.

On the other hand, small villages usually have no zombies at all.

freaking kidding me quit nitpicking the map looks great it looks and feels what a country side looks like and thats what they are aiming for.Eitherway they have plans for the mod support later on down the line so let them do what they are doing some crazy modder will make epoch style map eventually.

While I'm sorry you feel this way - the environment team has a set roadmap ahead of them, and a clear vision. I assure you there will still be a heavy majority of the terrain across Chernarus+ that is pure forest.

I understand that there's a roadmap already set and people are working hard to met deadlines, but the environment team should consider the possibility of re-work their first assignments. The northwestern part of the map, as someone already said, seems quite good and even with an increased urbanization the transition between wilderness-->settlements looks and feels good. The rest of the map...well, let's say it's not nearly as good, especially the first villages and cities plopped down on the map.

Some of the "most used" parts of the map (the coast for example, but not only that area) could be improved greatly repositioning buildings, redesigning street and settlement layouts, rethinking rural areas and so on. Also, more attention to the quality (not quantity) of wilderness areas could be really a good thing: the trees seems sparse, there's basically no undergrowth...the woods looks and feels artificial, fake. Exactly like some (a lot) of the original towns and starting areas.

Also...where are the characterizations of the environment announced a year ago? More signs of the collapse of the civilization, roadblocks, gridlocks, blood stains, trash...more stuff that helps immersion and erase the sensation of wandering in an abandoned TV-movie prop.

Edited by DocWolf

I have to wonder what makes a village or a town that is a replica of all the other cities and towns so interesting whereas before we had beautiful countryside to wander over and more than enough towns for a 40 player server when 90% of the building you couldn't enter!

Nope, let's just slap more and more shit on the map because having 10,000 houses to search is fun!

No - it isn't.

Varied terrain is fun and interesting along with unique areas with unique buildings. All the castle locations feel exactly the same - why not a hill fort instead? Why not have big gaps between towns or is the player base that bad, they  can't survive for more than 500m before needing another town to search?

What about the sense of being lost in the wilderness - never gonna happen because walk in any direction and if a few minutes, oh there's another village with all the same buildings in it.

• Like 2

I have to wonder what makes a village or a town that is a replica of all the other cities and towns so interesting whereas before we had beautiful countryside to wander over and more than enough towns for a 40 player server when 90% of the building you couldn't enter!

Nope, let's just slap more and more shit on the map because having 10,000 houses to search is fun!

No - it isn't.

Varied terrain is fun and interesting along with unique areas with unique buildings. All the castle locations feel exactly the same - why not a hill fort instead? Why not have big gaps between towns or is the player base that bad, they can't survive for more than 500m before needing another town to search?

What about the sense of being lost in the wilderness - never gonna happen because walk in any direction and if a few minutes, oh there's another village with all the same buildings in it.

That's your opinion. I on the other hand would prefer a massive urban area. Something like Novo, electro and cherno all together. You would still have plenty of rural areas to count trees in and suburban villages and towns but one major city with several different types of high rises. I'm talking like Stalingrad a week into the German arrival.

• Like 1

Disagree OP. Go visit these new villages and towns, they're works of art, the north/northwest of the map are some of the most interesting environments in the whole of the map. There also remains a great deal of wooded areas just not so much wasteland forest that existed before which was only useful as a stash spot.

• Like 2

I find it fascinating that some people think they know what makes a better environment then the developers. If every player chimed in as to what they think would make a better map, DayZ would never be completed.

Are you a city developer/ planner? Have you ever designed an actual city before?

I have played DayZ a lot. And I don't see any problems with how close the villages are to one another. You think they're too close? That's your opinion. Doesn't make it a fact.

I trust the developers over anyone I've seen in these forums. So many egos proliferate throughout these forums, self convinced of the quality of their own ideas. Yet, have no experience developing a game of their own. DayZ is stil in an alpha state. None of us have any clue as to their overall plan.

It's good to share your ideas. But to whine over the design of the game doesn't help anyone especially the developers. If you don't like the direction the game is headed, don't play it. But do us all a favor and stop pretending you know better.

As this rate, there will be so many villages, there will be no secluded areas to set up camp. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't you have the option, at release, to have your own private server and securely make a camp anywhere?  Is the push for more forests just a result of alpha development?

At this point in the development of the map, not a lot is going to be added. We will get little things here and there like the summer camps, but there is only one additional town left to be added and it's a really small one. Everything beyond that is going to be reworking existing areas, examples of which can already be seen in the form of Black Lake, Skalisty Island, Gorka (0.56), Stary Sobor (0.56), etc.

• Like 1

That's your opinion. Doesn't make it a fact.

I trust the developers over anyone I've seen in these forums.

Anyone can have an opinion, they're like assholes everyone's got one.

Being a dev doesn't make it fact either. But, they know the final goal of DayZ, while we have no clue, so trust them.

I question naysayers ever exploring the north much. The north of Chernarus + is seriously remarkable. There's plenty of hiding spots there, due to rock formation, and they work better than a big forest. I hope he gets to remake the far west in the same fashion. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they did something to the very center.

• Like 1

Deforestation isn't just a Chernarus problem its a global problem. You may be OK with it but your characters kids and your characters kids kids will have to live in that environment. Global warming is a real issue in the virtual world and we need to address it before its to late. Maybe we can activate the DayZ Greenpeace initiative to spread awareness.  And how about the senseless killing of those defenseless virtual bunnies?  Please, wont you help? For less than a Koruna a day you can feed a starving Chechen fighter.....
 Ok that's enough shtick.

• Like 4

I love hearing these city people talk about "country" like they have any idea what it is

check Google Earth and zoom in on central European forested areas - there are plenty of them. You think you can walk through those, city people ?

You think you can drive a truck through those ?

OK, city people - what do you do after the apocalypse ?

You stay in the city and you shoot each other.

lol

And how about the senseless killing of those defenseless virtual bunnies?  Please, wont you help?

Well, once upon a time we had a pig crusader on the forums known as Shrub Rocketeer™, but he was banned :(

• Like 1

I find it fascinating that some people think they know what makes a better environment then the developers. If every player chimed in as to what they think would make a better map, DayZ would never be completed.

Are you a city developer/ planner? Have you ever designed an actual city before?

I have played DayZ a lot. And I don't see any problems with how close the villages are to one another. You think they're too close? That's your opinion. Doesn't make it a fact.

I trust the developers over anyone I've seen in these forums. So many egos proliferate throughout these forums, self convinced of the quality of their own ideas. Yet, have no experience developing a game of their own. DayZ is stil in an alpha state. None of us have any clue as to their overall plan.

It's good to share your ideas. But to whine over the design of the game doesn't help anyone especially the developers. If you don't like the direction the game is headed, don't play it. But do us all a favor and stop pretending you know better.

Strange argument, has anyone designed a living infected humaniod that kills on sight? No, neither have the devs. I have however seen a gazillion zombie films, read books, etc. So I'd be up there in what I think should be expected in The Infected/Zombies. I think the devs are getting there.

I have some experience of looking at transport infrastructure in cities but that was pertaining to cycle lanes. I would therefore say I have slightly more experience than most on here about city planning, so what I says is gospel, which is the map is lovely.

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

I have to say that when the game is released, there could be a new official map maybe set in Russia or some other northen country(Finland ftw). Could be maybe 400 square kilometers, BUT somewhat same amount of towns as Chernarus+.

That way there would be a lot of wilderness, few towns, and you could still actually get lost in the woods. Now, as someone already stated, walk in a random direction for 5-10 minutes and bam there's a road/town. Chernarus is good as it is, but a new map would be something fresh.

I have to say that when the game is released, there could be a new official map maybe set in Russia or some other northen country(Finland ftw). Could be maybe 400 square kilometers, BUT somewhat same amount of towns as Chernarus+.

That way there would be a lot of wilderness, few towns, and you could still actually get lost in the woods. Now, as someone already stated, walk in a random direction for 5-10 minutes and bam there's a road/town. Chernarus is good as it is, but a new map would be something fresh.

I highly doubt it. The devs have said a few times that they don't plan on creating a new map. Not now, nor in the future (after the 1.0 release). They want that the community does it with the mod-support. 

Edited by PaniXx

..//..

..//..

I don't see any problems with how close the villages are to one another. You think they're too close? That's your opinion. Doesn't make it a fact.

..//..

:) :)

Yes I planned New York, Osaka, and Stalingrad

cool hu? I had some help with Osaka (it's not so great what do you think ?)

The villages are too close it's not an opinion its a fact.

When you say "Doesn't make it a fact" ..

in fact that's your opinion

My opinion is that your opinion is not factual

but in fact, that's a fact and not my opinion

I also plan forests. A fact about planning forests is they should look like

forests

I'm right, so I don't mind if we agree to differ

xx

:) :)

Edited by pilgrim

I like the new northern villages and cities. And I can't wait to see the old towns being reworked. They did a great job on the new towns. They have so much details and were made with love - you can see that.

Furthermore, I think when stamina and weight hits in (hopefully as good as in Arma3 but a bit harder-because we are not trained soldiers), we'll be happy that there are more towns than in the mod.

• Like 1

Strange argument, has anyone designed a living infected humaniod that kills on sight? No, neither have the devs. I have however seen a gazillion zombie films, read books, etc. So I'd be up there in what I think should be expected in The Infected/Zombies. I think the devs are getting there.

I have some experience of looking at transport infrastructure in cities but that was pertaining to cycle lanes. I would therefore say I have slightly more experience than most on here about city planning, so what I says is gospel, which is the map is lovely.[/quote

What's even stranger is your claim of knowing better because you've seen a few zombie films, therefore you know what's to be expected of a zombie / infected game. What's expected? I don't care what you "expect" in a game just because you've seen a few related movies.

Oh, and your experiences with bike paths gives you special insight into designing a city for a video game? You're proving my point. Thank you!

All I see in your post is your huge ego. You've watched a few zombie films so you know what's good for a game? What? You know about bike paths, so you know something about city planning? What the hell?

I don't want "what's expected". I want a fresh take on the zombie experience. And that's what I see the devs of DayZ are giving us. Watching a few zombie movies means nothing in the development of DayZ. Your opinion is no more valid then anyone else's here. So don't tell us you have more to offer then the rest of us. That clearly isn't the case.

They are going to pack Chernarus tight with towns and buildings.

When the map is expanded, they will work on huge patches of wilderness.

• Like 1

When the map is expanded, they will work on huge patches of wilderness.

Have I missed something or what is this? I thought the devs have said that map won't be expanded

Have I missed something or what is this? I thought the devs have said that map won't be expanded

There have actually been multiple conversations where the developers speak of expanding the map.

They will.

What do you think debug land is there for?

Edited by therandomredstone

There are still PLENTY of isolated areas on the map.  There will still be plenty of isolated areas on the map once the NW is done, which it isn't btw.   I have a 3 tent camp set up on experimental that is in a very good spot not too awful far from NEAF.  It's not so crowded as people make it out to be.

You have to learn to take advantage of what terrain there is. 

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/ranger.pdf

Edited by Barnabus

This isn't rural Los Angeles.

As this rate, there will be so many villages, there will be no secluded areas to set up camp. The small corner of the NW is started to fade now with these new additions.

I realize you need to keep adding, but expand the map first...it's already cluttered.

No to bigger map, its rather big to have 0 de sync. We are going to experience more issues.