boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

Build notes coming soon... 968MB

Where are the build notes?

Nope. Experimental branch isn't about anything we want, it's only about acquiring data towards general progress of development. It just helps globally towards making a more stable experience overall, not just for the "stable" branch. 

so it's only for data, not feedback. 

I understand Improved AI and new models of zombies but this zombie ninja superheroes is a disaster is impossible to fight them.

What good is a roadmap if not met then?

I have the feeling that you are a novice group and nop are able to fix bugs and pull this off and just getting going nonsense but what really matters not arreglais (zombies through everything, horrible netcode and a painful performance) Sorry to be so hard and hope I'm wrong but that's what I think.

• Like 1

Tents are disapearing after 5 min when set up, all your stuff in there is gone. A well stuff happens. I will loot up again but it is a annoying bug.

I have found absolutely no food, played on multiple servers, in a prison that was unlooted but no food to be found, is this a joke?

Also, only found one visible zombie, lots of invisible zombies though so thats fun. Please let this update be an april fools joke because if this is the devs best work then they are truly a joke.

The persistence, global economy, loot tables and general loot mechanics are all work in progress so it's not as much as "forcing" something rather than creating it. They're not making experimental builds or stable patches to have us play the game, they're making it and we have access to the software while it's being programmed and created. We can clearly see how much it impacts development to have to make a somewhat stable build game so that people can play it. If anything having a functioning multiplayer game slows down the creating process, but, that's the way it is...

My recollection is that, it has been the stated intention of the devs all along, that they would enable persistence just as soon as the CLE was turned on. Now that they have enabled both, our mission (should we decide to accept it) is to play and submit bug reports, so that the bugs can be addressed and the tuning can occur, keeping in mind that the bulk of the tuning will happen only after we get to the beta stage.

It is not the purpose of an alpha build (any alpha build, no matter what you label it) to to provide us with uninterrupted sunshine and butterflies. We are crash test dummies and we need to embrace that fact, or move on. No one likes change, but for progress to occur, change is necessary. As the game evolves, we have to evolve with it. We have to improvise, adapt and overcome. We still have a long way to go and we will encounter a countless variety of bugs, ranging from the serious to the minor, along the way. With the right attitude, there is no reason why we can't have a little fun at the same time.

Granted, not everyone can deal with the changes, or they may more readily adapt to some changes better, than others. That is to be expected. But all of this rage and the personal attacks contribute nothing positive and it certainly solves nothing. I know that it's not always easy. But please ... please try to submit a bug report before you rage quit. If you are going to take a break from the game (and there's nothing wrong with that), if you can do it dispassionately, please share your experiences and let us know what happened. Bear in mind, though, that no one is amused if you stamp your feet and throw your toys out of your stroller. You will either be attacked, or ignored.

Speaking of labels for the various builds, someone else said it pretty well, earlier today (paraphrasing):

Dev speak: Experimental

Translation: This shit may actually cause your PC to burst into flames.

Dev speak: Stable

Translation: Your shit may not burst into flames, but some seriously crazy shit is about to happen.

Until we get to a release build, that is the reality.

TL/DR: Chill and document the crazy shit that you see.

• Like 6

Edited by Veyda

crazy shit 1: on 2nd/3rd floor of fire station i can climb the outside ladder to the roof from the inside. i guess that's a good way to escape zombies lol

as far as fps goes, haven't noticed a big drop. although like others have said, there gets some desynch/rubber banding every few minutes. was on a low-to-me ping server with 28 people on it. (the usual low-to-me servers didn't have that happen prior to .55)

crazy shit 1: on 2nd/3rd floor of fire station i can climb the outside ladder to the roof from the inside. i guess that's a good way to escape zombies lol

I managed to do that a couple of months ago, but I haven't been able to do it since. I guess I haven't been able to find the secret passage.

The zombies seem to have given me less damage but take longer for me to kill, they are doing more damage to my gear though

They are definitely tougher. They also move more quickly, so they are a much more difficult target to hit. Obviously, desync doesn't help, either.

Pretty torn about this patch. Sneaking around zombies is fun and it's cool that they are harder to kill, but the desync makes them more of an annoyance than terrifying. They teleport to you and spam hits without animation. The biggest problem is that I'm not afraid of them killing me they just spam a bunch of low damage hits that ruin clothing.

The loot is also a bit perplexing. It is definitely cool that loot has no specific buildings that it's limited to. I thought that was one of the dumbest things about the loot tables previously. But this seems to come with a trade off. Yeah it's cool that there's a small chance you find an AK in a civilian house but every military place I've gone too was packed full of civilian loot. I did a bit of testing by hopping a few servers at the military base way up north in the barrack. I found more often than not barracks filled with dresses and knitted hats. It basically negates the need to go to places like this. My character has a silenced MP-5, an m-65 jacket, a high capacity vest and a skull balaclava and none of it was found at a military base or chopper crash. So why go to dangerous places when there isn't any point?

I know it's early and this will get fixed. Game is going in the right direction, just a bit frustrating.

SOLUTION: Start posting suggestions and useful and positive feedback, find ways to overcome the obstacle and the threat? Converge and produce solutions to the new difficulties?

They should stop pushing things to stable before it's at least somewhat playable. Its ok that it's alpha and all but why can't they actually use exp to adress major bugs. There is so many issues going on right now that there is no point in pushing superhardglitchy zeds on us at this point.

loot spawns def need work if you are finding knitted hats in barracks and aks on a stove lol it shouldnt be absolutely random across the board. Tweaks here and there i hope!

Edited by cash81

as far as fps goes, haven't noticed a big drop. although like others have said, there gets some desynch/rubber banding every few minutes. was on a low-to-me ping server with 28 people on it. (the usual low-to-me servers didn't have that happen prior to .55)

You can do this in many places, like the large garages that have exterior ladders. I've used that glitch to escape from zombies that glitched through walls before.

I cleared out the camp north of Tisi, holy cow, I shot at one and it scrambled every freaking zed in the camp, must have been six to eight more come down on me at once.  I had an MP5 and four mags used up 3 switched to my AK74 and used up 2 of the 3 of those I had.  Got them all, cost me my health,  color vision, pants, shirt, boots, HC vest (all ruined) and a shit pile of ammo (crazy desync and dancing zeds).  Check out the rest of camp kill two more zeds with the AK.  

Make my way further up north, this time I am gonna sneak in and engage with a melee weapon.  Check the town from a distance with binos, no zeds in sight, cool, move into and check out a house, nothing good.  Come to a road, look left, look right, all clear, jump the fence, out of no where here comes the queen bitch zed.  WTF??  Where the hell was she at?  I am swinging the axe, not connecting to a zed standing right in front of me, keep swinging, trying to switch to AK, I am dead.  FUCK.

OK, no problem, move on to a night server.  Same thing, axe would not connect with the zed right in front of me, I have NO guns on this guy, at least not any with ammo.  Hit the bitch with a prod that had a good battery, nothing, didn't work at all even though I had just killed a zed with it.  I had checked the battery, it still had juice.  I am dead, again.  FRAK! 

I am going out for pizza, see you on .56.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 3

I just did a test and went through Cherno on a pretty full server with no weapon wearing an orange raincoat. Made it from the spawn point near the construction area all the way across to the supermarket (saw 3 people and 2 in the distance and 1 tried to kill me with a pipe wrench). Not one zombie attacked me or even chased me. In the end I died, but it wasn't from the zombies. I got pinned down by the usual Cherno sniper douchebags... 1 on top of the firestation and the other on top of the Tall industrial towers. The first one broke my leg with his first shot. The second one took 7 or so shots to hit a guy crawling in the grass. But I survived and ate and drank for about half an hour or so... and had no problem with the zeds. Now, you'd say... well, you still got killed. Yes, but in regular gameplay, I'd never stick around Cherno like that. Dealing with the zeds requires stealth. But, it's not impossible, it's not even ridiculously hard. Come on.

http://www.twitch.tv/entspeak/b/644599120

http://www.twitch.tv/entspeak/b/644602848

There were some weird sound issues in there... don't know if it was the game or someone messing around. The reason the recording is split is because I alt-tabbed to see if it was the game or my computer.

Edited by entspeak

They should stop pushing things to stable before it's at least somewhat playable. Its ok that it's alpha and all but why can't they actually use exp to adress major bugs. There is so many issues going on right now that there is no point in pushing superhardglitchy zeds on us at this point.

The zeds in 0.55 exp were super harder and even more glitchy. The zeds in 0.55 stable, while not perfect, have had several rough edges smoothed, already.

I'm have some good feedback on this patch.

I play on an erratic satellite connections shared by a family of 6 so my lag and desync is always present, I play on a low pop no ping kick server mostly pve avoiding people if I see them. With the stealth mechanics in place I can play slow and smoothly strategy wise I'm almost always seeing the zeds (and a deer) before they see me now. I stay crouched observe, pick a target, shoot it, re-position, observe again repeat with way better success than melee was giving me before.

I think it's the desync but I'm having a hard time hitting with a pistol under 15m I dumped 2 15rd clips through one at 5m or less one to no effect. Had to back pedal and kill it with an aks74u, ruined jacket instantly. 

The less loot/food is keeping me moving with purpose and for me anyway making a nice cycle of combat, replenishing and keeping me entertained.

I am curious if I'm supposed to be getting "winded" crouched and moving slow, I don't believe I did before?

• Like 1

I'm have some good feedback on this patch.

I play on an erratic satellite connections shared by a family of 6 so my lag and desync is always present, I play on a low pop no ping kick server mostly pve avoiding people if I see them. With the stealth mechanics in place I can play slow and smoothly strategy wise I'm almost always seeing the zeds (and a deer) before they see me now. I stay crouched observe, pick a target, shoot it, re-position, observe again repeat with way better success than melee was giving me before.

I think it's the desync but I'm having a hard time hitting with a pistol under 15m I dumped 2 15rd clips through one at 5m or less one to no effect. Had to back pedal and kill it with an aks74u, ruined jacket instantly. 

The less loot/food is keeping me moving with purpose and for me anyway making a nice cycle of combat, replenishing and keeping me entertained.

I am curious if I'm supposed to be getting "winded" crouched and moving slow, I don't believe I did before?

I've played stealthy, since even before it was necessary. The zeds saw right through it, or course, but I've surprised many players. To answer your question, yes, your character will still sound like he has asthma, even when crouching and moving slow.

• Like 1

so it's only for data, not feedback. 

Pretty much. That's what Hicks said when the first "complaints" about broken loot or mechanics. During a certain period (0.43 experimental I think.) they changed the season to winter, and started testing the first iteration of the rain mechanic and getting colder while being wet. 70% of players complained that the game was unplayable and totally broken, but the answer we got is that we're pretty much guinea pigs on experimental, and they got the data needed to refined and tweak the mechanic. 

So no matter how almost everyone hates or find a certain aspect "game breaking" or not working, they acquire data towards where they think the game should go, as it's their choice, we're only participating in the process, not really influencing it. 

• Like 6

Cue the whining about about the new crosshair, less zoom and 'omg, zombies too hard nao!' in 3... 2... 1...

... That was post #6 ... yepp, why not start with either

- A  whining about those who are about to whine or

- B  a selfproclamation as a DayZ god basically declaring anyone who will complain about anything a f****** noob, because everything is perfect as it is or

- C  ...

you know what, forget about C. Or D, E or whatever one could read in there. And the post DOES NOT EVEN DESERVE to be singled out! I read every single post in order to not repeat already written stuff (too much) and maybe half was actually about the patch itself. FFS ppl, really???

When I look at 0.54 and 0.55, I can say I liked absolutely everything new I saw in this patch till now. We see quite a development step there. Well, I did not like the loot distribution, but I can't really compare it, because I was playing in private hives where fresh loot came in with every server restart.

I love the introduction of actually working stealth mechanics with zeds. Concerning the discussion about harders zeds, harder zeds are definitelly needed. That circle dancing got old pretty fast, so YEAH! Problem is, "harder" is not really clear enough. Let's take running for example. You can make running harder by adding weights to your ancles. But you could also make it harder by taking a hammer and smashing your left big toe. Both make it harder, but one of the two ways might be slightly prefferable to the other.

If we get fast agile zed attacks, I want to be able evade / block in a fast and agile way. With the current char moving as (s)he is, we only see half of the coin. It was probably about a year ago somewhere in this forum, same arguments, harder zed are needed, but what about the char? I don't think I ever read about any planned changes there. I don't know what's planned, so I cannot judge the new zeds melee as actually being better or worse in the long run. One thing I once saw was the zed stumbling back after being hit, but with the current desync/lag/performance/teleporting zeds I was not able to reproduce it. Either way, if an interesting, skillbased melee system is wanted in the end, more options than running and hitting with the left mouse button will most probably be needed. Otherwise we will end up with one or two effective monotone systems in meleeing zeds just like circling was before.

Concerning problems with lag/desync in general and all that being gone with the final release...play some Arma 3 and bask in the wonderfull amount of glorious feeling you get when you put a full mag into your enemy just in front of you, he puts a full mag into you and then while both of you are spamming your reload button ... wait for it ... you both a die at the same time. DayZ going out as the final version does not automatically mean those issues will be gone. And that's a problem. If we have fast zed melee and (hopefully) fast and not monotone char melee, that must not happen or it will be hell.

When I played today no zed seriously hurt me. Evasion and breaking line of sight work pretty well, but I mostly stuck to locking them into houses. Some ppl said that they move through doors/walls ... worked every time for me today. The important part was starting to sprint back out of the house before they got too close, that would end in getting hit, and actually getting the door closed in full sprint when leaving the house.

But I can see how some ppl are frustrated about melee. Melee is and will probably be for some time spamming the mouse button, somewhat feeble attempts at evasive movements and praying to the gods.

Before everyone realizes what's up..  B)

Will trade pristine camo Mosin w/ pristine compensator and 2 boxes of ammo for any pristine semiauto pistol w/ mag and ammo. Also have pristine LRS if you have binocs.

Meet me in the Black Forest hut. PM for server details.

EDIT: Trade no longer available. Lost the whole set when I put the gun down and it glitched into the ground. :(

bet we'll see more of these ^ as people figure out that the Infected and melee don't mix any more.

Whatever the situation now is, if infected and melee don't mix at final release, the devs will have failed in a hugely important aspect of the game as far as I am concerned. You can evade, shoot, lock zed in ... but melee is important in DayZ ... again, my opinion.

Nope. Once they are next to you they hit you until you run away or they die. Was unable to avoid hits properly.

This post was about circling still working or not. There are two ways of circling, one using A and D, the other only sprinting and doing the cirlce completely with the mouse. You are faster with the second way, it worked for me concerning not getting hit. It also worked for the zed with me hardly hitting it, too. Gotta test more. Oh, I did it on a full server in performance eating Chapaevsk, that also plays into the situation I guess.

But I have to repeat, I saw a great deal of development in this patch, great!

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 3

Alright its been a couple hours and before I go and install the update I would like to ask two questions

1-is the loot broken like in the first exp .55 update(I don't mind this it was very challenging and I liked it)

2-is the rak spawning more commonly in exp update three I found one at a police car at sevgrino wondering if they are not super rare again.

Its not at all that bad as it was in the first exp 0.55, where you had same items swarming the entire town.

Rak spawns at the BMP wrecks. Found two @ one wreck today so i wouldnt say it's gonna be rare at all(its worse than 74su or mp5 anyway?), unless the prison stops giving birth to rak mags.

gotta love civ. loot drops lel

by the time i found the first heli side(which was looted anyway) i had it all. even carrying a muvfukin' chainsaw :D

30xbvyg.jpg

Edited by halp
  • Like 1