boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

There has always been complaints about them running fast, but until we can see increase population of infected I think they should stay this quick.

I think their speed + stamina is actually a nice compromise. They are fast enough that close distances fast but you have an option to escape by running as they tire. This will get super interesting when player stamina becomes an issue. Yeah in the beginning when you have basically nothing you can run away but later when you've decided to carry around 5 guns and half the ammo in Chernarus, running probably won't be an option.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 3

I did die to zombies today, it was amazing. I was at one of the new summer camps, took a shot with my trumpet at a zombie head (I had only seen two) and missed. Before I knew it I had 5 or 6 of the bastards on me and broke my leg. It was silly, I didn't need to shoot the zombie in the first place. I was appropriately punished for the mistake.

Same thing almost happened to me too. I was at the summer camp in the far far NW. Cautiously going through it and only see one zombie, my trumpet shot hit him in the upper chest and he came charging. Next thing I'm getting hit from behind and I start running, but behind every building was another infected and by the end of it I was being chased by a real horde  :D I was more lucky than you and got to a house and locked myself in there. Took out a few from the  window and then methodically cleared the camp, but I still had to run back to the house 2 more times LOL

• Like 2

I deleted the game. This game is shit . I want my money back .

Thanks for funding one of my favorite games. For your contribution you get a........  :beans:

• Like 2

So far the only maps I've found have been the Western portion, anyone find the north, south or east bits?

Also, the bow not working really make me sad.

I have a north and a west on me atm

Same thing almost happened to me too. I was at the summer camp in the far far NW. Cautiously going through it and only see one zombie, my trumpet shot hit him in the upper chest and he came charging. Next thing I'm getting hit from behind and I start running, but behind every building was another infected and by the end of it I was being chased by a real horde  :D I was more lucky than you and got to a house and locked myself in there. Took out a few from the  window and then methodically cleared the camp, but I still had to run back to the house 2 more times LOL

Hah, I wish I had done that, I was over-confident at that point and tried to hold my position for too long (too long being defined by my leg breaking). The ice-pick is great for zombie melee but it has its limits.

• Like 1

I definitely like how the zombies don't automatically wreck your stuff and I DEFINITELY like the stealthy aspect, but I really think their tracking should be reduced by a little. It really seems like they're following a scent or something. Also, the hunger needs to be slowed down a bit. I can definitely keep a player alive, but it's ridiculous having to eat so much. I don't think it's realistic at all. I also wish that you had the ability to rotate certain items for easier storage because it makes sense.

I really wish they would stop adding features and just finish the game by fixing all of the bugs. The modding community could then take over because I think they could honestly do a better job in some ways... and people would still buy it.

Look at Garry's Mod, Skyrim... oh, and that other big one... Minecraft!

I can loose infected in the woods and breaking line of  site in cities sometimes, though if I run around too much in a city trying to loose one I pick up another infected.

Now that my character has been alive for over a week I don't need to eat as much. I think you are so depleted when you first spawn you eat like a baby bird, just piling it away. But once you have been healthy for about 5-10 hrs of gameplay, and you consistently find food your energy levels are so high you can go for a longtime without eating. 

The thing with mods like in Skyrim is they are never really as good as they could be. There were so many mods that were good that I tried to stack to make the game more realistic and challenging, but eventually they would start conflicting with each other and bugs or crashes would occur. Be patient and let them finish the game so we don't have a bunch of half ass mods attempting to do things they functionally could never achieve.

Hah, I wish I had done that, I was over-confident at that point and tried to hold my position for too long (too long being defined by my leg breaking). The ice-pick is great for zombie melee but it has its limits.

The best I found for infected melee is a stun baton. 1-2 hits and they are down, not sure about military infected though. Used it so much my battery died, and haven't found a battery since (10hrs), I think I need to go to the coast and trade a bambi some food for their battery....I bet that would surprise them

• Like 1

I simply hate the new updates, when i started playing DayZ I could last for about 3 days before something went wrong, my only issue was lag

now all of a sudden after the 1st of April. I will respawn 20 times in two hours.

spawns are screwed.

Zombies are overpowered

A zombie can hit a tree 100m away from you and you somehow die

you get stuck inside walls

there is absolutely no loot

you die of starvation or you die of dehydration in a matter of minutes, not realistic at all considering that a human being can survive up to 10 days without food and only 3 days without water (tried and tested myself)

you have to hit a zombie in the head with an axe about 20  tims before he dies

the only two possitive things regarding the updates from the 1st of April is that lag isnt an issue that much anymore and the fact that zombies are attracted by gun sounds.

at first I thought that it may have been and april fools joke but the joke is long over, who can I approach for a refund.

other people mentioned this between the 1st o april and the 7th, yet the update on the 8th fixed abslutely nothing.

these devs are becomming like EA...

• Like 2

you die of starvation or you die of dehydration in a matter of minutes, not realistic at all considering that a human being can survive up to 10 days without food and only 3 days without water (tried and tested myself)

OP is right, you won't die this quick. But It's not realistic that I  can run 14kms in an hour with 2 weapons, a backpack full of gear, ammunation and magazines. I can ram a wall whilst going with 80km/h with a truck, the truck makes it alive without a scratch, the driver survives the hit without his nose bleeding (his seatbelts weren't buckled either) and most important, I can stop a bleeding COMPLETELY from some rags I crafted from a t-shirt and I can do this alone (I am no medical expert) , even though if I got shot from my back, how da fuk am I supposed to bandage my back? I have a backpack on me? And also, I can still run while getting shot. Oh and, after bandaging, I have no pain, I can continue running aswell!

This is the fact: Survivors at DayZ are some superhuman race, just like the nanosuit from Crysis.

Are you aware this is a computer game?

Edited by Yazar8
  • Like 3

The best I found for infected melee is a stun baton. 1-2 hits and they are down, not sure about military infected though. Used it so much my battery died, and haven't found a battery since (10hrs), I think I need to go to the coast and trade a bambi some food for their battery....I bet that would surprise them

As St. Jimmy originally pointed out, the one handed weapons work well because they swing faster and can keep an infected staggered while you swing.

Honestly, I've had the most success with a hammer or hatchet.

This is more inconvenient as now my Fire Axe is just "taking up space" and I can't "wear" a hatchet....

you die of starvation or you die of dehydration in a matter of minutes

This is the main issue. If only spoiled fruit can be found per 100 houses which poison you to death anyway, it's impossible to contend with the game's survival mechanics. I fully support Rocket's statement that (and this is paraphrasing) the eat-drink cycle has to be sped up considerably because if survivalists only ate and drank and often as humans absolutely needed to, no one would ever leave the forest, and that wouldn't be an exciting game, but it's compounded by piss-poor spawns and the inability to distinguish server quality without wasting half of your character's life wondering if the population is 0 because the server just started or the 30+ loot clan just left.

• Like 1

You guys aren't the only ones. We've canceled the server hosting (as many others have) until its more finalized.

All I and others can suggest is go play something else until the game starts correcting itself. Time is all that is needed. Do provide some feedback under suggestions-bugs as the dev.'s will look at this.

If players, hosts aren't happy with the current system, they will make changes.

They do realize what is happening, as this is .55 testing and its mixed reactions to the current system. Its not hard, its buggy that is all.

Try to come back and provide suggestions to fix the structure to your liking. Do not think this will be finalized the way it stands.

And lastly take the forums with a grain of salt, a handful of players do not make up the majority of players.

My two cents so far.....

*Zeds are tough and dangerous and I like it. I never run headless into towns anymore. Scouting is essential. However, their ability to hit from just about anywhere and from distances wich should be safe is annoying as hell. Fix that plz.

*Loot are too hard to find. This is a game not a simulator. Either make it easier to find food or extend the time between healthy and starving. Picking apples extravaganza is not my cup of tea.

*Spawning/joining servers. "Please wait"....yeah right, my dude is already inside the game and helplessly exposed to whatever threat surrounds him/her and I cant do diddley about it. FIX!!! Or somehow make it impossible to be attacked when spawning.

Besides this and a few bugs here and there (it´s an Alpha) I really enjoy the game.

Have fun.

/Reacher

Plenty of people are not only staying alive in .55, but are thriving. So far, many if not most of the people complaining can be put into one of the following categories:

-People who are pissed off because they can no longer gear up in 5 minutes flat and then go off murdering people for sport.

-People who do not understand that survival is the core of DayZ, and that just feeding yourself enough to stay alive is going to be a challenge in itself.

-People who believe that zombies are just sacks of meat and bones to be used for target practice, and not the psychotic murder-machines that they need to be.

• Like 6

As St. Jimmy originally pointed out, the one handed weapons work well because they swing faster and can keep an infected staggered while you swing.

This is more inconvenient as now my Fire Axe is just "taking up space" and I can't "wear" a hatchet....

I used to be a huge fan of the hammer in previous patches and screwdrivers. Things changed for a bit, I might have to re-visit them. Currently I'm loving the pickaxe most of all.

• Like 1

I think clothing condition is bugged in many ways right now.

You can be wearing items that show as pristine after repairs and still be getting cold.

Take them off, put them back on, no longer cold.

Also, experienced a "jam" with the Longhorn.

Directly after firing, the model in my hand area of the inventory showed a round in the gun but the top right corner text was red indicating empty.

Trying to eject the round did nothing and I had to drop the gun and pick it up again and then the gun shown as empty and could be reloaded.

Edit: Looking forward to more complete "riot gear" which would protect our extremities better from odd infected hits.

Police grade arm and shin protectors and the like, that sort of impact resistant plastic/rubber stuff that isn't quite ballistics level protection but great for hand to hand.

A riot shield might be great in some instances too....

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 2

I had a nice geared character killed by robbing bandits last night, after I died I spawned in Berezino... I was geared, moisn +stripper clip, warm clothes/pack/hi cap vest, hydrated/energised in about 1.5 hours. Its not hard guys. Zeds still go down in 1 hit from fire axe if you time it right.... 2-3 hits most of the time. I know persistence is still an issue on some servers but all the ones I play on seem to have enough gear and I only play on 50 pop servers!

My gawd! I was just thinking we need more of these posts!

You got any friends who want to sign up for the forums just to tell us how bad they suck at dayz because they have the attention span of a goldfish?

Please tell me more.

Edited by BCBasher
  • Like 1

It's all a matter of taste. Currently 0.55 is my favorite iteration of DayZ to date. I've been playing since December 18th 2013 and right now I can't get enough of DayZ.... 

It's only temporary, so better enjoy it while we can!

• Like 2

It's all a matter of taste. Currently 0.55 is my favorite iteration of DayZ to date. I've been playing since December 18th 2013 and right now I can't get enough of DayZ.... 

It's only temporary, so better enjoy it while we can!

I'm hoping they keep going in this direction but experience tells me these whiners get their casual cake spoon fed to them more often than not. 

• Like 1

* However, their ability to hit from just about anywhere and from distances wich should be safe is annoying as hell. Fix that plz.

This is a game not a simulator. 

This is mainly do to netcode. It's all about the bandwidth, ping and desync. Playing on low ping servers, with a bandwidth between 100 and 300 makes those "long range infected hits" disappear. (I killed about 200+ infected since 0.55 hit stable, and this only happened to me once, and when I checked my bandwidth was at 3500 due to background downloads.)

Actually, DayZ is a survival simulator.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity: how old are you?

14 year olds need different games. CS:GO is fine, or LOL or whatever lifts their skirt. Arma and Dayz are 18+ year games, you should not even own them...

Now, gentlemen, let's be fair. It's not the age, it's the experience and the mindset. These often go hand in hand, but not 100% of the time.

I was just as cerebral when I was 16 as I am now, and enjoyed playing simulators, strategies and adventures.  <_<

Edit: Looking forward to more complete "riot gear" which would protect our extremities better from odd infected hits.

Police grade arm and shin protectors and the like, that sort of impact resistant plastic/rubber stuff that isn't quite ballistics level protection but great for hand to hand.

A riot shield might be great in some instances too....

Agreed, but those should be really rare. Yet, I'd love the ability to duct tape a few Vogue magazines around my shins and forearms as makeshift riot armor.  ;)

My favorite right now is Brass Knuckles. Works well for one-shotting zeds most of the time (aim for that ugly mug), as well as suckerpunching unsuspecting players unconscious to the back of the head. Plus, with the right color gloves it's almost invisible when equipped, so unobservant people mistakenly think you are unarmed and lower their guard.  ^_^

Edited by Veyda
  • Like 1

Heres my two cents after countless hours on .55!

-Zombies are stronger now

-Melee weapons=ineffective, 5-6 hits. Head hit = 1 hit

-Dodging zombies is ineffective. Either run away (tire quickly), lock in house (close door with zombie inside) or shoot (will attract players/zombies)

-Tents are still broken

-Loot is hard to find! Check cars (apts north of cherno, north of novy sobor, north side of map cities), check outhouses (moon on door), deerstands!!! [izurvive dot com is the site i use]

-Crashed UAZ's currently spawn guns (jeep with open top)

-Your clothes will get ruined. Zombies tend to go for headgear and pants first

-More zombies now

-Stealth works to a certain extent, keep 20m away, they will not see. Also if they are not turned your way sprint behind them (not too close tho)

-If a zombie is near you, his hentai tenticles will hit you with no mercy

-Cannot cook animal meat without a pot or pan, however you can eat raw meat if in dire need! Chance of getting food poisoning, can be cured with charc tabs.

-Cars will leak gas if front two wheels are destroyed, when you crash your shoes and pants will get ruined

-Police stations often spawn guns, clothing, handcuffs, and the .55 infamous mp5/9mm rounds

-Heli Crashes are bugged! Personally not finding loot at them, reports online say they are not spawning loot anymore. All are stuck in particular locations

EDIT: Heli's are still spawning loot--(ShoobieStomper)

-You can grow food! (Need:bottled water, digging device [shovel, pickax, hoe], fertilizer [to speed up growing], and seeds [tomato,bellpepper,pumpkin]) Takes 10min with fertilizer. Some plants may grow and be spoiled, plants will get spoiled if you do not pick them right when they are ripe. Cannot cut seeds out anymore

Alright guys! Thats all for now. If this helped you throw me some beans, or head over to my twitch to see some gameplay and ask for some tips.

Good Luck out there,

Stay Sharp

-TT

Shout out to TT, life saver and patient hero.

Basically everything he said is legit. My experience so far in .55 is that I'm living off of apple trees, hugging towns. Zed are more challenging but not impossible, I'm finding the gear I need it's just taking longer. Cheers, see you in Chenarus.

Edited by Spectator

Since .55 I find stuff I never found before. like smersh vest and backpack who can complain about that?^^

a few pumpkins solve every hunger problems and wells with clean water are everywhere. the zombies are much tougher so I either avoid them or shoot them

i love the new stuff and changes.

stuff is still buggy ofc, but I like the direction this is going.

• Like 5

Hmm, quick question: Where are the pistol idle animations for player character in the menu?

I have a very similar setup on both these characters and somehow only one is showing is pistol.

Not showing pistol in hands.

9rtw7n.jpg

Clearly holding it up. Both have an suppressed engraved 1911 at them same place in their backpack. (Suppressors or other attachments for pistols in the menu not showing right now.)

14t7ecz.jpg

Both have same backpacks too, weapon at the same spot. Might be just a simple glitch though...