Sign in to follow this  
gankaskon

What do you think will be the lifeblood of this game?

I think it will be server/clan wars. Most people find this game much more enjoyable with even just one friend to play with and I agree with that. Even since I found a group who regularly plays my enjoyment has increased exponentially and my experience have varied in the same way. After a while however doing the same old with your buddies loses it's freshness. Of course the game is only limited by your imagination, but if you only have a group of 4 you are still limited to things a group of 4 can do. You can never get in to a 15 v 15 firefight when all you have is 4 (assuming the entire 15 on your side are friendly and coordinated). You can't do things like large convoys (when vehicle types get implemented), you can't set up giant ambushes, huge raids, etc... but when you have a large group you can always parcel off and still do the small group stuff. 

Clan wars will also give group members a common enemy and something to participate in other than your own character development. Say you have a clan of 20 people warring against a similar sized clan. Even if it's a quiet day, you can still contribute to your group by doing things like looking for supplies, ammo, weapons, backup clothes, med supplies, etc and add it to the clan camp (when that stuff all works). You'll be able to contribute to the bigger cause even if you can't actively be in that firefight while you're at work or in class.

I can't even list the possibilities of a healthy community of clans working with and against each other, even better if that clan has camps on their servers that they can add to, raid camps on other servers, take enemies hostage and torture them, get in to huge fights, deal with betrayal and sabotage, etc.. It would just be awesome

There are a few problems, ghosting is the main one I know of. Ghosters ruin anything you try to do thats organized if you don't want to constantly be on the move. If you want to make any building/town/location on the map with structures your home you must abandon it when people find out where it is because they will just ghost in and ruin everything in an unfair way, this especially applied if your clan invites friendlies to their location. It's one thing to pretend to be a friendly, make your way in a kill everyone. It's another to circument that process and get aground structural chokepoints by logging in behind a building. Persistance is obviously another issue. Being able to contribute to a camp is an important part of contribution outside of running missions and makes the dayz experience much nicer.

So this is kind of mental vomit, but I think this is also an important part int he future of DayZ

edit: I forgot to say obviously base building will HUGELY change how camps and clans operate

Edited by gankaskon

I've been playing lone wolf for over a year... and I've not gotten bored. It's been fun watching the progression, new features / items / fixes coming nearly every Wednesday, a whole lot of deaths, many great adventures to the far reaches of the map, maybe an revenge murder on someone who didn't deserve it out of frustration, and a lot of time spent paranoid that someone is watching me (for good reason). I don't think clans make up even a quarter of the player base...

• Like 8

You may actually be right OP. That is what made the DayZ Epoch mod so awesome for so many people (and by far had more players and servers than even the base mod) is joining forces and making huge groups and then fighting other people who had been doing the same. Especially once base building and things are in. That was some of the funnest times I've ever had in any iteration of DayZ was meeting random people by Pwning them and getting pwnt by them over and over so much you got to know them and then eventually grouping up and starting to do things like setting up road blocks and such which is fun; but then when another big organized group comes to try and stop you it got REAALLLLY fun. Or crawling up to people's bases in a group of 10 organised like a Navy Seal raid and taking simultaneous shots to take out multiple targets at the same time so they have no time to mount a defense.

Also can't wait for base building so I can create the Great Wall of Chernarus 2.0 (1.0 got deleted by stupid server admins on Epoch who for some reason didn't want a giant wall from the ocean between Cherno and Elektro, and then North up the map a pretty good ways)

Edited by Weedz

You may actually be right OP. That is what made the DayZ Epoch mod so awesome for so many people (and by far had more players and servers than even the base mod) is joining forces and making huge groups and then fighting other people who had been doing the same. Especially once base building and things are in. That was some of the funnest times I've ever had in any iteration of DayZ was meeting random people by Pwning them and getting pwnt by them over and over so much you got to know them and then eventually grouping up and starting to do things like setting up road blocks and such which is fun; but then when another big organized group comes to try and stop you it got REAALLLLY fun. Or crawling up to people's bases in a group of 10 organised like a Navy Seal raid and taking simultaneous shots to take out multiple targets at the same time so they have no time to mount a defense.

I never understood why there had to be a dayz mod mod for this. This sounds exactly like arma 2 wasteland with all it's beauties.

• Like 1

Realism.

There will be many Dayz clones many of them will do things much better than Dayz however the only thing that will separate dayz from the clones and keep people coming back is how true it stays to realism and how brutal it is as a result.

Realism will be the only thing that separates it from the clones.

• Like 3

I think it's because this game allows for a variety of playstyles all on the same server and that makes for great interactions.  I had a broken leg, no ammo and was pinned by a sniper when a random cawadoody squeaker raced full-sprint directly at me, my death it seemed was inevitable.  As he approached me he squeaked "hey what up dude?" and dropped a splint right in my lap and kept on running.  I've also had a squad of three fully kitted guys approach me while I was minding my own, fishing for carp.  They clearly had the upper hand as I was holding a fishing rod, but before I could say "Welcome to Stary Yar!  Are you lost?"  I was dead.   I like this game because just when you think you know what to expect, somebody goes and does the opposite.

• Like 1

I want to see immersion and realism. I am primarily a lone wolf players, but I it is pretty common for me to run both ways. I find I don't like super organized groups in dayz I learned this over time. This game is all about freedom. Other games I enjoyed organized groups, not at all in day z. I am just being honest. The post apocalypse is about chaos, this is a game that simulates that. Why in the fuck do I wanna be told how to play by someone or criticized in a game were there really is no right or wrong way to play. There is nothing that drives me away quicker then video game politics. If anything I want a laid back group, if anything or just run lone wolf. I don't want to see day z turn into a pvp exclusively were your expected to play grouped game. Fuck that shit. I like playing lone wolf and really play in groups for the company. I don't want to have to be required to play in a group.

Immersion, realism and survival. The rest is up to the player or player group to decide how they want to play. Complete freedom

When I say survival, pvp is lumped in with that.

Oh and really dam gritty too, I want to see hobo beards, and those citys need to be way more run down...

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 4

Once the disease/medical system is fully implemented the game will morph into something we have never seen before. It's hard to predict the knock on effects of that level of realism at this point. Of course there will be clan activity and banditry dominating certain servers but I think that largely the bread and butter of this game will be simple survival in small bands. As vehicles become more valuable and an actual asset for survival and time savings we are likely to see a lot of play focused around that particular mechanic.

The only problem I have with big groups are the ex-military types who try to tell everyone what to do and how to do it. I feel clan wars are counter-intuitive to what DayZ actually is along with elaborate base building. The roadmap ahead should be trying to make the game harder to survive, not to have players thrive so much that people have an opportunity to build new structures from scratch. Re-purposing and barricading existing structures sure but no fortress-in-a-box builds. Please.

• Like 4

IF they really change the zombies (better AI, hordes,...), this could change the whole game to become even better.

If you are alone you need to go full stealth in the cities to get some loot there or just live of the land in a remote place.

With a big group you could risk a more open approach, but would still be in danger of attracting other groups of players and/or could get overwhelmed by a horde of zombies.

I would love to see a bigger threat by the zombies.

• Like 1

IF they really change the zombies (better AI, hordes,...), this could change the whole game to become even better.

If you are alone you need to go full stealth in the cities to get some loot there or just live of the land in a remote place.

With a big group you could risk a more open approach, but would still be in danger of attracting other groups of players and/or could get overwhelmed by a horde of zombies.

I would love to see a bigger threat by the zombies.

Your right, polished zombies and hoards of them could vary well change the way we approach the game. I think vehicles were only seeing the beginning of. There is now a prison island, which is def a hint boats will be put in possibly. The have stated late in there will be aircraft. The vary reason people play could change sure. I think when it hits beta we will probably have a cleat more clear idea of what its going to be like.

One thing I have noticed is many who play, play just after patches then stop til next experimental hits or patch. That's just an observation. But once it becomes more complete it will be interesting to see how every one adapts. I hope it allows for many different play styles. I pro game freedom.

One thing I know for sure we have ARMA 2 & 3 hard military simulators. If I want hard military simulation I will play. There great for what they do, but DayZ is different right? DayZ I think should set it self apart as a apocalyptic survival simulation, were pvp is just one aspect were survival plays a huge role.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 2

I find playing in a group of over 4 gets stupid. I generally play in a two.

I kind of agree with this. While I have played in groups of 15ish, it is completely stupid. Everything takes 10x as long to do and there is no mic discipline. I think a group of 6ish players who know when to talk and not talk is ideal. Any bigger than that you need just one or two priority speakers giving orders but that doesn't work well in a game like DayZ

I hope its clans, groups and solo players all fighting it out. With the addition of zombies down the road we will see one hard time not getting into a group or clan to stay alive longer.

Possible zombie hordes, and other events the dev.'s dream up will make it difficult to run solo. The solo players will have it harder staying stealthy. I love the sniper role myself as its my primary role in most games or support. I am not a rushing person or clearing type. But I support the other roles very well. I am the recon type so I expect others to do the same as I am.

I guess we all Roleplay in these games one way or another and I am fine with it. I would like to see massive fights in cities and outside them.

Wait until the dev.'s give us bases, compounds to defend. I plan to make a special server setup just for this type of game change. It will be so cool having all these in a solid game like Dayz. Once we get past the growing point of bugs and annoying zombie hackers hehe we should be well into our beta game by then.

I do expect much more to come out of the game, other then just picking my nose and trying to feed it with boar meat :)

Cya on the battlefield ladies =D

I want to see immersion and realism. I am primarily a lone wolf players, but I it is pretty common for me to run both ways. I find I don't like super organized groups in dayz I learned this over time. This game is all about freedom. Other games I enjoyed organized groups, not at all in day z. I am just being honest. The post apocalypse is about chaos, this is a game that simulates that. Why in the fuck do I wanna be told how to play by someone or criticized in a game were there really is no right or wrong way to play. There is nothing that drives me away quicker then video game politics. If anything I want a laid back group, if anything or just run lone wolf. I don't want to see day z turn into a pvp exclusively were your expected to play grouped game. I like playing lone wolf and really play in groups for the company. I don't want to have to be required to play in a group.

Immersion, realism and survival. The rest is up to the player or player group to decide how they want to play. Complete freedom

Oh and really dam gritty too, I want to see hobo beards, and those citys need to be way more run down...

Perhaps become part of the underground resistance, all that is required is your word.  Play how you want, but we can bring order to servers through loose grouping and resource stashes.  Wanna explore? Groovy, drop off your excess gear in backpacks at known loot trees, or arrange for a pickup if it isn't convenient to make the run to a drop site.  I would like to see the emergence of a "pen and paper" system of loose confederation among players.  I found a military tent today, it turned into a green mountain backpack after the server reset while I was transporting it---LAME.  But I did manage to clean out three bags worth of clothing and mid-high tier ammo and gear in my frustration.  

If only there was a way to play with honest people who could share stashes across many "home" servers for the common good.  Even a half-dozen shared stash areas throughout the map would be enough to gear-up after a death, or save your life if things go bad on the road/hills. Tents are here, this is why I bought the game when I did. I think it is time to start hoarding ammo, food, and tents for the long run.  It would only take a few dedicated people to start a network of survival preparedness assuredness.

Edited by emuthreat

I really think the amount of folk who want this game some sorta uber hardcore survival sim is few compared to the many who want it a bit less hardcore and more fun pvp etc hopefully the server setting will be able to be adjusted suitably so that both player types can be happy ! 

• Like 2

Having to take a dump in game. Once that's implemented I think the game will be complete.

• Like 2

I kind of agree with this. While I have played in groups of 15ish, it is completely stupid. Everything takes 10x as long to do and there is no mic discipline. I think a group of 6ish players who know when to talk and not talk is ideal. Any bigger than that you need just one or two priority speakers giving orders but that doesn't work well in a game like DayZ

Agreed, large groups become more trouble than they're worth. They become unstable very quickly, and much of your time is lost on trying to maintain cohesion... which then begins to defeat the point of playing a game in the first place, which is to have fun.

Perhaps become part of the underground resistance, all that is required is your word. Play how you want, but we can bring order to servers through loose grouping and resource stashes. Wanna explore? Groovy, drop off your excess gear in backpacks at known loot trees, or arrange for a pickup if it isn't convenient to make the run to a drop site. I would like to see the emergence of a "pen and paper" system of loose confederation among players. I found a military tent today, it turned into a green mountain backpack after the server reset while I was transporting it---LAME. But I did manage to clean out three bags worth of clothing and mid-high tier ammo and gear in my frustration.

If only there was a way to play with honest people who could share stashes across many "home" servers for the common good. Even a half-dozen shared stash areas throughout the map would be enough to gear-up after a death, or save your life if things go bad on the road/hills. Tents are here, this is why I bought the game when I did. I think it is time to start hoarding ammo, food, and tents for the long run. It would only take a few dedicated people to start a network of survival preparedness assuredness.

What you mention is kind of possible now, but will be even more possible when persistents is more a permanent thing that doesn't reset every wens. I'm sure of that. Players are already getting into trading.

Another reason I like currently playing in lose groups now, is just the state of the game right now. Its still very much in development. There's many players that really only play a couple weeks after a patch release then are no longer that active til the next patch. So its kind of wish washy. To me there's no need for a huge group commitment yet. Although there's some clans that play multiple games together. I for one don't blame people for not playing all the time and taking breaks. Lets face it its a corky alpha. Some get frustrated by that, I say simply except it alpha and take a break.So I think lose more laid back groups are really just better in day z even more so that its alpha.

To me being at times lone wolf player, makes it even better. I self contained I can take care of my self. I like the immersion and enjoy the challenge. I enjoy the freedom of it. Once I learned the map I am completely fine, one my own high pops, low pops what ever. There's places you go and don't go. You will never see me running through electro on a high pop, shooting into it from long range....yes possibly. I basically live in the wood solo.

Really for me I like TS for the company and mind meeting up with people, but what I hate is being sucked into a train wreck. Its all good though.

Edited by CJFlint

I really think the amount of folk who want this game some sorta uber hardcore survival sim is few compared to the many who want it a bit less hardcore and more fun pvp etc hopefully the server setting will be able to be adjusted suitably so that both player types can be happy !

Then please go and play H1Z1 more arcadey then dayZ.

Survival IS what this game needs. Its why you got it in the first place. The fact that most here play this game to death means the survival is no longer there. Its just to easy.

Therefore they resort to pvp because well what else is there to do. There needs to be more content. So cant blame them.

But good pvp?? please its not in this game.

If it's just server/clan wars then Bohemia have failed to deliver. Until the devs can find a way to quell the server hopping, survival is not going to matter in DayZ.

Being wrecked by zombies on a fairly regular basis. Namalsk is a good example of what I mean. On namalsk the threat of those invisible beasts that hunted you endlessly kept you on your toes between encounters. It kept the tension high. Dayz will hopefully accomplish the same level of tension with numerous, dangerous zombies. Without them, the size of the map makes danger too easily avoided and promotes reckless behavior in the search of entertainment. I wanna be scared of losing everything everytime I log in and step into a town.

I do enjoy Heli hunting, trading with other players, and PvP when I want to do that (Nothing like that cat and mouse game between you and another person). Everyone likes to play this game for their own reasons... mine are listed as above. I'm not going to bash on someone that just KOS's everyone or the person that is doing the survivalist style. Play the game you want to and find your happiness in this game.

GL&HF out there! 

How many multiplayer uber hardcore survival sims are there out there? How many less hardcore fun PVP game are there out there? Please let us have at least one survival sim since the "fun pvp" type games are more numerous than cockroaches in New York.

• Like 1