SmashT

Stable Branch - 0.53 Discussion

ok ive tried and tried and for the life of me i can not get a fire going to cook with ,,, there simply is no , Ignite , option like there used to be ,,, am i missing something , did the process change ? ive cooked hundreds of steaks and fish and cant seem to figure it out ,, thanks

ok ive tried and tried and for the life of me i can not get a fire going to cook with ,,, there simply is no , Ignite , option like there used to be ,,, am i missing something , did the process change ? ive cooked hundreds of steaks and fish and cant seem to figure it out ,, thanks

It's easiest to just let this explain how it works in 0.53:

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Fireplace#How_it_Works

:)

• Like 4

At the risk of rousing some of the haters out of their stupor, I've just got to say how much I have enjoyed 0.53 stable. I really can't put my finger on any single thing that is particularly good, or bad and perhaps that is why I like it. Everything seems to be a bit more harmonious, than in the past ... if that makes any sense.

I am also getting better performance out of my antique Phenom II machine. In the past I'd get 18-32fps. Last night I was getting more like 28-60fps, with an occasional dip here, or there. About the only thing that I have changed is that I bound the DayZ profile in Nvidia Inspector to the new executable. I don't know if that accounts for the difference, or perhaps I just had some good luck with the server lottery. I'm not really sure, because I generally play experimental. I am anxious for the experimental servers to pop up with 0.54 to see if I continue to see good performance with my usual servers.

Anyone have a character "born" with the shakes ? ,,, ive got a bloke on 1st person , its like hes got the st vitus dance or something he's always shaking its very odd.

Anyone experienced the below situation???

Successfully Hunted deer

Skinned deer, get meats

put into backpack, log out for the day

set up fireplace to cook deer meats,

meats condition became worn, when took out from backpack

i cooked them anyways, then became ruined???

no meat to eat..... 8-(

Was this a bug or intended to happen when you placed uncooked meat in backpack for a day (even logged out)????

Anyone experienced the below situation???

Successfully Hunted deer

Skinned deer, get meats

put into backpack, log out for the day

set up fireplace to cook deer meats,

meats condition became worn, when took out from backpack

i cooked them anyways, then became ruined???

no meat to eat..... 8-(

Was this a bug or intended to happen when you placed uncooked meat in backpack for a day (even logged out)????

Not sure how you got *cough* worn meat *cough* but you can't place meat directly into a fire anymore or else they become quickly ruined.  You need to use a cooking pot on a tripod.

• Like 2

Not being able to play much, since I get kicked from about 75% percent of the servers I join in.

They don't have anything that remarks them as stupid fucking clan servers or servers with whitelist/teamspeak

This annoys me A LOT

Not sure how you got *cough* worn meat *cough* but you can't place meat directly into a fire anymore or else they become quickly ruined.  You need to use a cooking pot on a tripod.

Oh yeah! come to think of it i was attacked by a zed when collecting kindling, maybe the meats got worn after the attack. Then, yes i placed the meats directly to the fire...i thought meats will be cooked the same  way in 0.52 version, okay that explains it.... thanks.

However, seems not authentic for a survival theme to have a cooking pot at all times to cook meats... don't you think???

Either we can craft a bbq stick or craft a makeshift grill to cook meat instead of looking for a cooking pot... cooking pots should be used for boiling water or soups or stews.... just my point of view..... 8-)

• Like 1

However, seems not authentic for a survival theme to have a cooking pot at all times to cook meats... don't you think???

Either we can craft a bbq stick or craft a makeshift grill to cook meat instead of looking for a cooking pot... cooking pots should be used for boiling water or soups or stews.... just my point of view..... 8-)

Has anyone tried cooking on the oven, instead of the tripod?  Do you still need a pot if you craft the oven using the 8 small stones on the fire?

Completely agree with you regarding a sharpened stick for cooking steak one at a time.

Has anyone tried cooking on the oven, instead of the tripod?  Do you still need a pot if you craft the oven using the 8 small stones on the fire?

No - getting 8 stones seems like a really annoying task so I haven't bothered...  and talk about "not authentic" for a survival scenario.  Building a fully enclosed pizza oven would be quite low on my list of effective strategies for establishing an ephemeral campsite.  Odd game design choice IMO.

• Like 1

No - getting 8 stones seems like a really annoying task so I haven't bothered...  and talk about "not authentic" for a survival scenario.  Building a fully enclosed pizza oven would be quite low on my list of effective strategies for establishing an ephemeral campsite.  Odd game design choice IMO.

I disagree.  If the end goal is for base building, and long term survival, I think this will be a great option.  Now, does it make sense at this point in the design process, when camps are wiped out each week?  That's a whole other question, but I like the concept.  Maybe too it will decrease the smoke that is visible from distance which then makes it a stealthier choice as well...

Agreed, but I think this is just one step forward in the new system of cooking. Throwing a piece of meat directly in the fire isn't really authentic either :P We'll get more options very soon, I'm sure of it.

As long as you've got a spot to search stones, it's not too bad. The tradeoff is that it takes more time to gather stones than just find a cooking tripod, but a stack of 8 stones only takes up one inventory slot versus three for the tripod. The oven really isn't that big either, it's only really enough to cover the fire and allow you to put something on top.

Edited by Tatanko

I disagree.  If the end goal is for base building, and long term survival, I think this will be a great option.  Now, does it make sense at this point in the design process, when camps are wiped out each week?  That's a whole other question, but I like the concept.  Maybe too it will decrease the smoke that is visible from distance which then makes it a stealthier choice as well...

You're right regarding base building, though I was remarking on the current state of things.  I keep reflecting on the current state of things where I plop a fire down in the safest spot close to where I'm currently at in my nomadistic (is that a word?) journeys.  In that scenario the oven is overkill in a RL sense.  I suppose I should broaden my horizon to longer term development trends because you make good points.

As long as you've got a spot to search stones, it's not too bad. The tradeoff is that it takes more time to gather stones than just find a cooking tripod, but a stack of 8 stones only takes up one inventory slot versus three for the tripod. The oven really isn't that big either, it's only really enough to cover the fire and allow you to put something on top.

Oh dear, well that explains a lot.  I thought it was 8 "stones" (which take up 4 slots and are not stackable), not 8 "small stones".  Crap!  I'll have to try it now.

In my defense though - I would have never guessed you could make an enclosed fireplace with what any given hobbit keeps in his pocket for target practice.  I promise I'll read the wiki better next time.   :blush:

• Like 2

nomadistic (is that a word?) journeys.  

I believe the word you're looking for is nomadic  :D but we all knew what you meant!

have you guys noticed the lag due to a lot of people is almost gone??

at least comparing to a few months back it was impossible to be on a 40 ppl server(or i might have been lucky with the servers,there are some where it still is impossible)

This patch is indeed great for me compared to the last months, like someone mentioned a few posts back...

I have a relatively week GPU and I have definitely better performance than ever. Bigger towns are still a problem and will probably stay a problem for a while, hopefully not forever though. Flare guns are a strange thing, first I decide to play friendly (addmittedly reckless friendly) and get oneshotted with one, then I try to kill a boar with my one flare and bam ... missed from 5 meters, the boar seemed to walk to fast. Yes, walk, not run.

But this mechanic there, that feature there, what really makes this patch better in my perspective is the FEELING, that things work slicker. Object interaction seems better, other players don't desync-hop so much around, ... . I hope we will se further progress in such areas, the netcode is one of my main worries, just look at Arma3, still shit :(.

Concerning hackers, I found not defnite numbers of banned ppl, ppl complaining about hacks not working any more, so I guess we will see.

Edited by bautschi

Ok, i thought I'd compile a small list of things I don't believe are spawning- Anyone care to confirm or debunk?

Sunglasses 

Ammo Cans

SIlencers

PS01 Scope

7.62x51 Snap Loaders

7.62x51 Stripper Clip

P1 Mag

Amphibia Mag

CQB Stock

Also, I've notice a resurgence of a bug that causes loot to disappear when swapped with an item in your inventory.  Happened to me both in a house and outside on the ground.  Once with a med kit and once with a gun. Anyone seen this? I'd bug report, but its already in there 1000+ times.

Edited by Mr Jizz

so i got a suggestion on something that can get fixed, i read something about how you are supposed to stealth around zombies and other players but i come to realize that it is almost impossible to sneak by zombies. i can be a mile from a town and a zombie will spawn and run every bit of that 5,280 ft just to get me, and there is no way of losing them they will literally follow me any where. so hopefully you can tone down the zombies some.

• Like 1

Ok, i thought I'd compile a small list of things I don't believe are spawning- Anyone care to confirm or debunk?

Sunglasses 

Ammo Cans

SIlencers

PS01 Scope

7.62x51 Snap Loaders

7.62x51 Stripper Clip

P1 Mag

Amphibia Mag

CQB Stock

Also, I've notice a resurgence of a bug that causes loot to disappear when swapped with an item in your inventory.  Happened to me both in a house and outside on the ground.  Once with a med kit and once with a gun. Anyone seen this? I'd bug report, but its already in there 1000+ times.

I can confirm ammo cans are spawning on non-persistent servers. I found one last night at a heli-crash site (US/UN chopper). 

I can confirm the inventory bug/glitch as well. Lost an SKS the to other day due to this :( 

• Like 1

so i got a suggestion on something that can get fixed, i read something about how you are supposed to stealth around zombies and other players but i come to realize that it is almost impossible to sneak by zombies. i can be a mile from a town and a zombie will spawn and run every bit of that 5,280 ft just to get me, and there is no way of losing them they will literally follow me any where. so hopefully you can tone down the zombies some.

Zombies are way too toned down.

Zombies spotting players kinda comes and goes, so to speak, they can see the tip of your head through a boarded up window from 200m away and yet again you can sometimes run up to zombies, with them reacting to you from 5m away. 

You can sneak past zombies by moving quietly and using cover.

You can lose zombies through buildings, trees, bushes(pretty much if you break their line of sight for a while, they will stop following you.

Edited by Dafix

I saw the short mp shotgun finaly fits into a backpack..so i searched for a hunting backpack ...couldnt find one in 3 hrs :/ They're still here, right?

I found like 6 1911 magz, AKM, drum + 2 mags and about 100 tortilla backpacks.now i had to drop the shottie cos whos gonna let a drum akm down :(

7.62x51 Snap Loaders

7.62x51 Stripper Clip

P1 Mag

Amphibia Mag

I found all of these today before i hit the military objects. I find them mostly at jeeps, log houses, hospitals?(3rd floor shell), corner houses,car wrecks, police stations.. pretty much everywhere. Got really unlucky with heli drops so no pso1

Edited by halp

Agreed, but I think this is just one step forward in the new system of cooking. Throwing a piece of meat directly in the fire isn't really authentic either :P We'll get more options very soon, I'm sure of it.

Well, I was finally planning to get stones for a fireplace and wanted to get them from rocks, and my pickaxe was ruined after mining four stones, that seemed quite annoying...

Zombies are way too toned down.

Zombies spotting players kinda comes and goes, so to speak, they can see the tip of your head through a boarded up window from 200m away and yet again you can sometimes run up to zombies, with them reacting to you from 5m away. 

You can sneak past zombies by moving quietly and using cover.

You can lose zombies through buildings, trees, bushes(pretty much if you break their line of sight for a while, they will stop following you.

trust me i have done all those things and the bastards still come after me. i have ran through bushes and put so much distance between me and the zombie to where i can't see it and it still is able to find me. as far as im concerned i am more sketched out by a zombie in the area then another player.