bobotype3334

Clearing this up: DayZ is NOT years afterwards

Ugh the one thing that always gets to me is people saying things like "chernarus is poor" or in this one "chernarus is basically Afghanistan"....no....come on.

The place has good infrastructure...roads, street lamps, phone lines, power stations and power lines to nearly every town. That is not a developing country....its simply a war torn country....think America, UK, any country for that matter would look so hot after a long drawn out fight?  

Its all BS residual propaganda from bad blood between east and west. All those little "meanwhile in Russia" pics are to make westerners feel better that Russia won the space race and is very much one of the worlds superpowers right up there with the US and China. Now I know Chernarus isn't Russia but it seems like it gets some of that stigma attached to it.

Alls it really is is a prominently farming community. I could visit US farms, UK farms, any farms and find run down barns or old storage buildings left in disrepair. That's no indication of the farmers financial situation, I mean for one they are land owners. Not like owning a house with a few square feet of land, a farm with acres of land.....these guys should be quite wealthy.

There are countries out there where many towns and villages don't have power....no road to get there....hiking miles each day for clean water....that's a developing country ....Charnarus is faaaaaaaaaaaar from that.

Anyways rant over....I personally think its bit more than weeks, maybe few months. That's long enough for fuel to still be usable and to explain why there are so few of us left. Always remember we in alpha and the fact we see a lot of fresh fruit atm dosent mean we always will.

Later farming could be the only way to get fresh items (thinking more like potatoes carrots that type of thing). So always rotten food spawning in huses and if we are lucky a not to far gone one to salvage  seeds from. The plants in houses they may have just overlooked, but seen as that's just tidying up/creating some "dead plant" textures they may leave that kinda thing till beta :)

• Like 1

Its all BS residual propaganda from bad blood between east and west. All those little "meanwhile in Russia" pics are to make westerners feel better that Russia won the space race and is very much one of the worlds superpowers right up there with the US and China. Now I know Chernarus isn't Russia but it seems like it gets some of that stigma attached to it.

I cant hear you from the up here... on the moon.... driving my rover....

1) Even "waxed" (is that a European term? I've never heard it called that before) will rot eventually. In my house, apples go soft in about 5 days, and rot in 1 1/2 weeks.

I'm not sure if you are just unfamiliar with the term or the practice. Producers often apply a thin layer of wax over the apple to block out oxygen (which increases decay). When he says "waxed" he is referring to this practice. This is common in the US at least, I am unsure about other regions.

Interestingly, this is why it is a cliche in cartoons and TV to see people breathing on apples and polishing them on their coat. Hot breath helps soften the wax before rubbing it on your shirt to remove it. 

Edited by WolfgangErikson
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if you are just unfamiliar with the term or the practice. Producers often apply a thin layer of wax over the apple to block out oxygen (which increases decay). When he says "waxed" he is referring to this practice. This is common in the US at least, I am unsure about other regions.

I may confirm that globalization works and this practice is common also in Europe

I concur that it's been a few weeks.

Yeah, I agree that Chernarus was pretty wartorn. That explains the tons of military camps and damage.

I know someone mentioned the rusting Rify earlier as proof of DayZ being a few years later, and that's probably just left there because nobody has the money to clean it up (and it was probably rusted before.)

• Like 1

LOL you know honestly I don't even think Dead Hall knows the anser to this one.

I remember a few years ago, I visited the armaholic mod site, and zombies started showing up that you could down load. I thought, "WTF is this, amra is a military sim, not a zombie game". A few monthes later there was a super mod, "DayZ MOD" and there is a ton of super mods for arma. For some reason it became really popular fast, compared to the other mods. Even more popular then Arma it self infact. So popular they made a standalone. So its almost a accidental sucess story LOL  So I would not be supirsed if they simply never thought of a serous story line lol

Edited by CJFlint

Interestingly, this is why it is a cliche in cartoons and TV to see people breathing on apples and polishing them on their coat. Hot breath helps soften the wax before rubbing it on your shirt to remove it. 

Oh, I know what it is. I've just never heard it called that before.

Infant, hold your tongue around your elders. I'll give you what for. ;)

If you bothered to read my OP:

"If anyone wants to bring up the run down buildings as evidence of years of decay, just remember Chernarus is basically Afghanistan: Everyone is poor, and there's been civil war for months. The buildings are crapholes because nobody was taking care of them even before they were zombified."

There is paint peeling on my damn house RIGHT NOW, and I live in a first world developed nation. Chernarus is a poor, ex-Soviet farming community existing after a civil war. I don't think giving these peasant buildings a regular coat of Dulux is a priority. For Pete's sake some of them live in log cabins. I assumed I made this Very Clear in the OP to avert this kind of silliness.

Buildings are "crapholes"? Chernarus is "basically Afghanistan"?

This video begs to differ.

• Like 2

Buildings are "crapholes"? Chernarus is "basically Afghanistan"?

This video begs to differ.

Exactly. The buildings in Chernarus don't seem all that bad, in my opinion. Most houses are certainly in better shape than my own!

And, what exactly is wrong with a log cabin? (for the poster you quoted) They are easily built, easily heated, comfortable, etc. Hell, there are companies in the American West that charge big bucks to build you a customized log cabin!

Clearly the time frame DayZ is set in makes it evident it's years after the outbreak.

But naturally, due to playability, you have to have items (perishables) which are still present. 

It wouldn't make sense that these items are still around in real life, but this isn't real life. It's just a game.

Clearly the time frame DayZ is set in makes it evident it's years after the outbreak.

But naturally, due to playability, you have to have items (perishables) which are still present. 

It wouldn't make sense that these items are still around in real life, but this isn't real life. It's just a game.

Where do you get that from? There is nothing "clear" about it, which is why there are 4 pages in this topic, and numerous other topics concerning this exact subject matter.

• Like 1

then why are guns and shit so un common? if it happened dayz before, then why is everything just GONE. there would be cars and guns every where, people and zombies too. 

and finding vehicles without parts is supposed to be how vehicles work when they are eventually added and optimized, and if its the apocalypse, most people would be dead, right? then why is everything so off? its a game, but things just dont add up. 

but thats why i love this game, it doesnt have official lore for the most part. you make the story up as you go. it could be something different every time, and could even change how you play (if you role play, that is)

Looters, if we want to go down the "you make up the story as you go" path I also enjoy. People try to escape the zombie outbreak by filling up cars with guns and food, and getting the fuck out of dodge. This is why everything is so scarce.

Cars that worked were already scarce, because if you check out pictures of Czechoslovakia horse and cart was not an uncommon method of transport. So when the apocalypse happened, the smart ones grabbed all the good cars, and only the junkyard-tier ones were left.

The Survivors we play as are the ones left maybe twenty days later. The cars are gone, most of the food and guns are gone, and almost everyone's a zombie.

And you said "zombies would be everywhere, most people would be dead": um, they are?

Ugh the one thing that always gets to me is people saying things like "chernarus is poor" or in this one "chernarus is basically Afghanistan"....no....come on.

The place has good infrastructure...roads, street lamps, phone lines, power stations and power lines to nearly every town. That is not a developing country....its simply a war torn country....think America, UK, any country for that matter would look so hot after a long drawn out fight?  

Chernarus is a developing country because the affluence of the people in houses we can see doesn't even begin to match first world levels. Houses are bare apart from rudimentary furniture. It's a poor place. If it was a developed country, they would be full of bullshit clutter.

As for the infrastructure we don't even know if it was even working pre-outbreak. A country's financial circumstances can change; I read about another country in the area, Moldavia, that had complete power plants and lines and such, but could only afford to power half the country at night.

Clearly? Did you read OP? There's only a little evidence, dismissible evidence, pointing to DayZ being years later. All the rest of the ingame world points to weeks/days/a month later.

"It's just a game". Of course. But when people discuss changes to the game, they need to keep the time frame in mind because suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

LOL you know honestly I don't even think Dead Hall knows the anser to this one.

I remember a few years ago, I visited the armaholic mod site, and zombies started showing up that you could down load. I thought, "WTF is this, amra is a military sim, not a zombie game". A few monthes later there was a super mod, "DayZ MOD" and there is a ton of super mods for arma. For some reason it became really popular fast, compared to the other mods. Even more popular then Arma it self infact. So popular they made a standalone. So its almost a accidental sucess story LOL  So I would not be supirsed if they simply never thought of a serous story line lol

Exactly my point and I don"t think this is good ! Of course "this is your story" and all but I think some official basic lore is absolutely required. 

for example :

1. DayZ is taking place in an alternative timeline (2013) of the Armaverse after the events in Chernarus (Arma2)  For those who still dont know it  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARMA_2

2. Chernarus beeing an ex Soviet state bordered by Russia and Takistan  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/ArmA2_Chernarus_factbook_map.jpg

3. Chernarus being the place where the infection started...

4. some background about the virus...thx to Fluxley for digging this out

Here's the original intro found in the files of older versions of the mod

DEAN HALL PRESENTS

A USECFORCE PRODUCTION

On 12 March 2013, a prion disease and spreads among the worlds population triggering a global pandemic
The disease causes proteins in the brain to be replaced with prions ceasing regular function
Most people progress to dementia and then death as the brain is replaced with ineffective sludge
86% of the worlds population die
Some survive with the disease in a chronic state. 
Lacking regular brain function, they are scarely human. They are unable to communicate, 
driven by insatiable desire for violence, and attracted to the scent of those uninfected
Society crumbles as the pandemic spreads rapidly
You are one of the 2% who are not infected yet

THIS IS YOUR STORY

5. DayZ playing a few weeks after the complete collapse in Chernarus....

6. Refugees from Chernarus fleeing to Russia and Takistan and reordered UN forces could have brought the infection to other countries...status unknown

would be enough to make things look a bit more locical but also would leave more than enough space for unique stories and interpretations

cheers

• Like 1

Exactly my point and I don"t think this is good ! Of course "this is your story" and all but I think some official basic lore is absolutely required. 

for example :

1. DayZ is taking place in an alternative timeline (2013) of the Armaverse after the events in Chernarus (Arma2)  For those who still dont know it  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARMA_2

2. Chernarus beeing an ex Soviet state bordered by Russia and Takistan  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/ArmA2_Chernarus_factbook_map.jpg

3. Chernarus being the place where the infection started...

4. some background about the virus...thx to Fluxley for digging this out

5. DayZ playing a few weeks after the complete collapse in Chernarus....

6. Refugees from Chernarus fleeing to Russia and Takistan and reordered UN forces could have brought the infection to other countries...status unknown

would be enough to make things look a bit more locical but also would leave more than enough space for unique stories and interpretations

cheers

Sure this would work. But theres really not that many clues in game.

But whats really funny about the way it is now is there a mystery, which in some ways adds to the apoc feel. Its complete anarchy. You just don't know, your just thrusted into this world of survival and zombies. Its a game were you can almost get away with not having a story, becuase of this. You kind make your own story after you start off as a freshy.

One idea would be to leave little clues, to something like your story. You never quite know what happened, but you get kind of an idea. Like news reports, or items.

The one base that I always thought was kind of creepy, was is the base thats in the middle of the woods, NW of bolata, with the hospital and tech building. It looks like a place were some really wierd shit went one lol Why are those building there, could that have been were it all started? Anyhow its a fun topic. 

One of things I really enjoyed about fallout 3, was as you progressed through the game you would kind of peiced together the story of what happened......this sounds really dumb. But that is the only game that gave ever nightmares, one of the only games I ever played that game me the chills. LOL Not dayz I enjoy for different reasons....fallout 3....The story and the game to me was a pretty nightmarish world when I really thought about.....man that would suck.....oh man lol That still is one of my to 5 favarote games of all time. It really is facinating though, in a weird morbid way.

Edited by CJFlint

..//..

beanz for the rant

Didn't think the timeline was a concern or something that was set in stone in an alpha...

Until close to full release I wouldn't bother myself with this stuff as it can and probably will change before you know it.

You know, the expiry dates on the items in the game don't mean jack.  Everything could be expired.  You guys are just thumping your chests.

Take a trip to Zaprudnoe and then tell me this game takes place a few days after the infection hits. 

I'm going to jump in here after not fully reading the thread as I have question.

What is it that is being discussed here as I'm a little confused from reading the replies I have. Is this that Cherno is itself set in the future or that the zombie apocalypse in Cherno has happened in the past?

As for people saying Cherno is like CZ or Afghanistan (wtf? .. surely that is Takistan based on flora/fauna, albeit geographically in the wrong place), I believe neither and if anyone has ever been to places like rural Moldova Albania or Georgia then they are more like it than CZ imo.

Obviously the buildings are based on ones in CZ, but the lack of infrastructure doesn't seem right for such a western country.

I'm going to jump in here after not fully reading the thread as I have question.

What is it that is being discussed here as I'm a little confused from reading the replies I have. Is this that Cherno is itself set in the future or that the zombie apocalypse in Cherno has happened in the past?

As for people saying Cherno is like CZ or Afghanistan (wtf? .. surely that is Takistan based on flora/fauna, albeit geographically in the wrong place), I believe neither and if anyone has ever been to places like rural Moldova Albania or Georgia then they are more like it than CZ imo.

Obviously the buildings are based on ones in CZ, but the lack of infrastructure doesn't seem right for such a western country.

No offense intended, just constructive criticism: You need to work on your reading comprehension.

Next time, lurkmoar before posting. It would answer a few of the questions you have and save you time typing them out and someone else answering them.

As the OP states, it is that DayZ happens days after the zombies attacked. Not years. That is the thread.

The part about Afghanistan is referring to the fact Chernarus is similar to Afghanistan because both have been poor and fighting a war in their country, not a reference to climate or location. This was intended as a pre-emptive refutation to arguments that Chernarus is set years after the outbreak, to save argument on that fact, although people were still silly gooses and brought it up anyway. :|

Does any of this really matter though?  :|

No not really.

My view is that who cares how long ago the plague hit? I don't. In just one year grass and saplings will be growing out of cracks in the sidewalks, asphalt roads would be developing cracks, and there would be no fresh fruit or vegetables around except what you pick off a tree, shrub, or dig up out of the ground. Lightening would be starting fires in the cities and towns and forests. People would be forced to hunt, fish and gather for their food very quickly. 

So what if fresh fruit in the houses is a tad unrealistic. I believe that stuff was placed there by the DEVs to tide a new player over while he assembles a kit. If it wasn't there you would hear bellyaching and crying about starving to death all the time. So as  Accolyte said does it really matter?   

Ok not that it overly matters to me in the scope of playing the game but i would say 3 things tell me it is in the relatively early stages after outbreak .

1 The rundown condition of buildings, vehicles rusting in streets etc etc bare very little difference to the condition cherno was portrayed as in arma 2 ya know when there hadnt been a apoc merely  civil war and the devs have said it follows after the arma 2 time line.

2 those things running around trying to eat you are not classic undead zombies but infected people. How long do you think these infected people will survive for?? the disease doesnt make them immune to starvation dehydration freezing to death etc etc and once the easy caught food is gone trying to run down animals for food would have them expire very very quickly ( both from hunger thirst and the ill effects of the disease killing them..

3 DayZ the Z does not mean Zombie but Zero

But hey at the end of the day either way it doesnt change how the game is being played with what has been given to us in game.

• Like 1