Sign in to follow this  
gannon46

The term bandit what it means now

I read and see all these youtube videos of folks calling themselves bandits and all I see Is plain murder so I call them murderers not bandits.

Am I wrong in that assumption? does the definition for bandit not apply to dayz? If I kill someone for no reason or for shits and giggles is that doing banditry

I see it as thrill killing/murder I remember when I first started playing I got held up by a group of gents and they had me in a situation I could not escape or run from it was die or give them my stuff. I've also been baited( I was a noob)into thinking it was someone who needed help and bam a trap sprung robbed again but still alive. I used to fear and also respect the play style. I figured it took some skill and some brains to come up with fresh traps/schemes to get players gear. so am I being harsh are bandits now just killers that use the title bandit because they think it sounds cool or makes them MLG. I don't know I just thought of bandits being a title like hero the best of the best not just some kid that shoots everything that moves. oh and I do agree KOS has its place and so do murderers but like I said above in my opinion if you do those things I don't consider you a bandit.

• Like 9

KoSer is not exactly a title people like to have, so they try to give some romantic touch to their actions by calling themselves "bandits". Yet as I posted in another thread, being a bandit, a real one is probably one of the most difficult play style. You really need to know how to play, have coordination with your mates in order to trap a player without killing him. It's even more dangerous to be a real bandit when the prey is well geared and knows how to use it. Bandits do no shot people unless they messed up their trap and they find themselves having to save their own life.

Intercepting a player and riddle him with bullets doesn't sound like a successful banditry to me. More like a failure as all the gear gets ruined in the process.

i usually aim for the legs , if i need gear or food a clear headshot is the easiest way.sometimes im lazy to do some talk with my prey, but when they are dead/uncouncious i tank them for the food the gave me, or sometimes i bandage them and give them some foos so they can wake up and keep playing with the stuff i didnt need :v

Edited by LanceroxD

I find this thread very interesting. I agree how people who shoot on sight are not immediatly bandits, but if you loot him afterwards, you're still a bandit, right? Setting up traps in DayZ seems really unrealistic imo, idk how you're supposed to trap a person, thats taking it a tad bit too far.

Bandit? Hero? Murderer? I'm a survivor, if you pose a threat to me I'll kill you, if you have something I need I'll hunt you, but if I can simply leave you alone, then I will.

• Like 3

I consider a Bandit to be someone who actually holds people up, handcuff them and then rob them without actually killing them.

Edited by ChayENG
  • Like 2

I read and see all these youtube videos of folks calling themselves bandits and all I see Is plain murder so I call them murderers not bandits.

Am I wrong in that assumption? does the definition for bandit not apply to dayz? If I kill someone for no reason or for shits and giggles is that doing banditry

I see it as thrill killing/murder I remember when I first started playing I got held up by a group of gents and they had me in a situation I could not escape or run from it was die or give them my stuff. I've also been baited( I was a noob)into thinking it was someone who needed help and bam a trap sprung robbed again but still alive. I used to fear and also respect the play style. I figured it took some skill and some brains to come up with fresh traps/schemes to get players gear. so am I being harsh are bandits now just killers that use the title bandit because they think it sounds cool or makes them MLG. I don't know I just thought of bandits being a title like hero the best of the best not just some kid that shoots everything that moves. oh and I do agree KOS has its place and so do murderers but like I said above in my opinion if you do those things I don't consider you a bandit.

That is exactly what a bandit is and often my group find ourselves saying ' I promise we are old fashioned bandits, if you do as we say we will let you live'. Basically having to tell the person we are just holding them up, that we like to do our banditry properly the way it is meant to be done and i find a lot of people respect that and a few do listen.

The issue now though is that everyone wants to swing their fists or do some kind of stupid shit, we get behind a sniper laying down and tell him not to turn around so what does he do, he tries to turn around. We catch someone eating and we tell them not to pull their gun out and press f2 so what do they do, try and pull their gun out. I try my hardest not to kill people and still be a bandit but you have no idea how hard it is in this current form of dayz, life is cheap and so a lot of people just throw it away, that is my opinion anyway, hopefully with a bit of time, life will be more precious and more people will be complient leading to less deaths by my hand but we will have to wait and see.

Edited by anotherdeadhero

Implying people do anything on SA besides kill each other

Bandit/Hero/Survivor were terms used on gameplay long past

you will never see that in standalone..

main reason most old-timer's stopped bothering 

2014 DayZ SA Bandit = 12 year olds who KOS everyone they see for absolutely no reason, who really need to just go back to COD and leave DayZ alone.

If we go by the definition of a player who interacts with people while/before robbing, torturing or killing them... then a bandit would be the rarest player type in dayz. Ive not bumped into 1. I think the rarity is why the KoS people just got stuck with the term bandit... everyones been killed by a KoS player, twice, today LOL... but a bandit by the above definition is like finding a unicorn.

Intercepting a player and riddle him with bullets doesn't sound like a successful banditry to me. More like a failure as all the gear gets ruined in the process.

Exactly. I always understood "bandits" to have the primary motivation of trying to acquire somebody else's stuff. That's what a bandit is, by definition: someone who steals things. As you said, if you kill someone, you're probably going to ruin at least half their stuff.

• Like 1

-SNIP-

As you are right, technically, killing on sight isn't necessarily banditry, I see it as more of an aggressive form of banditry. And I assume saying this the flame shall start.

EDIT: 900th post :D

Edited by Jfiles

2014 DayZ SA Bandit = 12 year olds who KOS everyone they see for absolutely no reason, who really need to just go back to COD and leave DayZ alone.

Ok, lets start with this. As you are right and there are plenty of them. A good chunk of them are not 12. You just decide they are and don't remember people of all ages kill. So, again, think, not all people who kos are 12 ;) Enjoy.

• Like 1

Get off your damn high horse.

This"not bandits but murderers who are 12 L0L" bullshit is really annoying. You bitching about the proper honorary title of nobility for some guy who gunned you down in a game is pointless. The only thing that comes of it is a heated debate between players who are butt mad over not having a "roleplayed" death and the players who do not sprint through towns fully geared so they do not die.

People will play however they want, and no amount of scripted events, increased zombie spawns, or karma points will prevent murder/banditry.

• Like 3

You can do whatever the game allows you to do. There are plenty of MMO's out there that don't allow PVP, or have safe zones etc. DayZ is not one of those. Someone can decide to kill you, at any point, in any place, for any reason, and you have to start again. That is what makes DayZ a fun game to play. 

I also find the term kill on sight rather inaccurate and in some ways insulting to the killer. Your killer hasn't always just spotted you and killed you immediately. They probably saw you some distance away and made the effort to hunt you down, track your movements and get the perfect shot off at you. Maybe it was instant for you as you ran around unaware of others, but for your killer it was likely a prolonged and fun experience hunting you. 

Hunting and killing other players has the benefit of making your own death less annoying and feel more like a learning curve. If I get shot and killed out of the blue, after the initial cursing, I have respect for my killer. They got the drop me on me and deserved to be back at the coast in my t-shirt.

My only real annoyance right now are the number of people that cry "hacker" all the damn time. I'm willing to bet the number of actual hackers in this game are a tiny minority. It seems like 99% of the so called "hackers" are just issues with the optimisation of the game and poor ping rates of either you or the other player. I was accused of being a hacker the other day because I was apparently glitching around, however to me the other guy had erratic movements. It's just the state of the game right now when people from across the world play together. In all honesty, not many people would have the time and knowledge to hack a game, and those that download hacks off the internet are probably so quickly riddled with spyware and malware that they're unable to play anymore.

• Like 1

i usually aim for the legs , if i need gear or food a clear headshot is the easiest way.sometimes im lazy to do some talk with my prey, but when they are dead/uncouncious i tank them for the food the gave me, or sometimes i bandage them and give them some foos so they can wake up and keep playing with the stuff i didnt need :v

that's why I put all my best loot in my pants now.  enjoy the ruined grenades.

Ok, lets start with this. As you are right and there are plenty of them. A good chunk of them are not 12. You just decide they are and don't remember people of all ages kill. So, again, think, not all people who kos are 12 ;) Enjoy.

It's a "figure of speech", they play like 12 year olds, not that they're actually 12 years old.  :rolleyes:

This topic comes back up at least once per month, and it's been beat to death, but when it comes up again people who've not participated in it before get to share their thoughts. The trend is always the same:

1. About 1/3 are evil and say, "If I see you, you die!"
  2. About 1/3 are good and say, "KOS is garbage, go back to CoD!"
  3. About 1/3 are neutral and say, "I'll defend myself if I need to, I will survive!"

The trend is also:

1. Bandit - is not someone KOS, typically someone who's going to hold you up and steal your stuff or cuff you and mess with you.
  2. KOS / Murderer - someone who is just going to shoot you because they can, likely not even interested in your loot/gear at all.

I believe a lot of people use "Bandit" as a blanket term for anyone who isn't friendly and resorts to shooting on sight or killing on sight, anyone seen to kill another player no matter the reason, is labeled as a "Bandit" its come down to people justifying killing another player by insisting that the one they killed was a "Bandit" a lot of "Heroes" that I know won't bother to see if someone is truly a "Bandit", and will kill them if they are wearing something "Bandity" such as a mask of any sort, or are in a spot such as sniper hill or on top of an apartment building ect.

I believe that the whole labeling playstyle as either/or needs to be put to rest, most people will react to the situation however they feel, that's where you will see the friendly survivor or the person who shoots firsts asks questions later, or whatever, we then join clans/communities that fills its ranks with people with similar interests while playing DayZ.

does the definition for bandit not apply to dayz?

bandit /'bændɪt/ n. (pl. bandits) 1 one who has a humanity of zero or below.

gWL83i1.png

ban·dit

noun

: a criminal who attacks and steals from travelers and who is often a member of a group of criminals

Synonyms: Criminal, gangster, hooligan, marauder, outlaw, mobster, pirate, raider, reaver, raider, highwayman etc...

Your conception of a bandit as a gentlemanly, "Your money or your life mam," likely comes out of a cultural understanding of how highwaymen sometimes operated in the British Isles, as they were often noted for being quite polite.

However, there are plenty of examples of "bandits," that is people who meet that bare bones definition given above, that simply relied on murder.

In short:

As long as they:

A. Attack you

B. Take something from you

Then they are a bandit.

If they:

A. Attacked you

B. Didn't take anything from you

Then it might be harder to argue they are a bandit.

Bandits, KoS'ers, murderers, assh*les, it doesn't matter. All I want is blood and some ammo.

If I see you, I pewpew and you QQ.

-420 blaze it no sc0pe yolo swag CoD fanboi  B)

Get off your damn high horse.

This"not bandits but murderers who are 12 L0L" bullshit is really annoying. You bitching about the proper honorary title of nobility for some guy who gunned you down in a game is pointless. The only thing that comes of it is a heated debate between players who are butt mad over not having a "roleplayed" death and the players who do not sprint through towns fully geared so they do not die.

People will play however they want, and no amount of scripted events, increased zombie spawns, or karma points will prevent murder/banditry.

it has nothing to to with titles and I usually laugh when I die well laugh at myself because I know I messed up, hence the title banditry and what it means now and as I said I understand also KOS etc has its place yet I still see it as murder not banditry if that's me being on a high horse well it'll probably get shot along with me oh well.

I think the term bandit is just a spill off term from the Mod. Same with hero for that matter.

In the stand alone, I think its just a lable one puts on someone to make them selves feel better about shooting another player. Or its a play style. But really is a much more lose term. Same thing with hero. I chose not to use any terms like this in the SA, instead treating every player case by case. UNLESS its a clan that is known to have a certain play style. To me DayZ SA does not have any moral mechanics or ethics in game. When I play I do not regard ethics what so ever. Theres really no need, its a waste of time. When I see other random player I treat them as hostile based off there posture. If they have gun in hand, and don't bother to make contact. There hostile to me. Simple. If they don't, and they make a real effort to show there freindly then there not hostile and I consider them to be not as hostile. But I still watch them closely. I think its a waste of my time to even consider wether someone is hero or bandit.

Also setting out just to rob other players is a waste of time to me. I never set out to kill or hold up another player, for there stuff. It just don't seem to be cool. Now if I shoot someone and get a clean head shot to were there stuff isn't ruined. I will check them to see if there is anything I may need. Or if I find a dead avatar same thing.

So in a nut shell I find myself much better off when playing the SA just not even considering these terms. Its all grey.  

Thats just me.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

Nope, actually you are using the terms as they should be, how you use them is the way they originated from the mod. It is the new wave of players that came in with the hype that started over using the word bandit for everything that was done to them (mostly because the lack of skill or knowledge they have to stay alive in the first place).

I use the terms in the same way as you do.

Bandits, KoS'ers, murderers, assh*les, it doesn't matter. All I want is blood and some ammo.

If I see you, I pewpew and you QQ.

-420 blaze it no sc0pe yolo swag CoD fanboi  B)

Pleas ban this guy, in many ways this is more insulting to me then being called a cxnt.

• Like 1