SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

Military grade magazines seem almost none existent at least to me. Iv found AK 74s but no damn magazines yet for them. Im hoping this gets fixed.

Iv found ammo for it but has anyone been having issues with the magazines?

Actually the magazines are rare for a reason. AK101 mags are rare too, that's obviously why.

So the probability for a barrack to spawn an AK family mag is like 1/7 from my experiences.

There are currently in the game kind of main mags (non experimental) if we don't count the aftermath green and regular mags for the AKM (30rnd) and take them all as one single mag variety, we have

1) AK101 mag

2) Drum mag

3) 30rnd mag

The probability for you to find a 30rnd mag we say is 1/7 x 1/3 that is 1/21

Now in experimental we have 4 kinds of mags.

AK74 mag + all the 3 above.

That gives us a probability of 1/7 x 1/4 = 1/28

So out of each 28 barrack you'll find only one AK74 mags says maths.

But maths is never fully accurate at probability measurement. There's always a possibility for you to find multiple mags in one barrack or none at all even after you search 50 barracks. 

30rnd mags (AKM) are always more common than the other mags.

I guess the AKS74 is even more uncommon.

Edited by Yazar8

Having a great time, but I think I am gonna go back to work on my stable characters for a bit, at least until the excitement over new weapons wears down a bit.  Shoots, I am just happy to have found an empty 5 round magazine for a carbine. 

BTW, shoes are still wearing out, just not at crazy ass fantastical rates anymore, I went from Sevtlo to the new Tent City and by the time I made it to the large train/bus station in the NW my boots were damaged, they started as pristine.  I figure that was reasonable.  Food and water still DO matter, damn near dehydrated, vision went black and white but found water in the nick of time.  Same on food, was red level starving but made it to where some food spawns (I have to admit, I hopped for the food, it was getting pretty desperate and was lucky to have found some chow, I went from red starving to neutral and went back to where I belong), still seeing in black and white though, for now.  So if you were thinking somehow that these things didn't matter anymore please feel free to de-bunch your panties cause they do.

Edited by Barnabus

Having a great time, but I think I am gonna go back to work on my stable characters for a bit, at least until the excitement over new weapons wears down a bit.  Shoots, I am just happy to have found an empty 5 round magazine for a carbine. 

BTW, shoes are still wearing out, just not at crazy ass fantastical rates anymore, I went from Sevtlo to the new Tent City and by the time I made it to the large train/bus station in the NW my boots were damaged, they started as pristine.  I figure that was reasonable.  Food and water still DO matter, damn near dehydrated, vision went black and white but found water in the nick of time.  Same on food, was red level starving but made it to where some food spawns (I have to admit, I hopped for the food, it was getting pretty desperate and was lucky to have found some chow, I went from red starving to neutral and went back to where I belong), still seeing in black and white though, for now.  So if you were thinking somehow that these things didn't matter anymore please feel free to de-bunch your panties cause they do.

Dude if people would adapt theres food all over the f'ing place.

Just because you cant find a house with a kitchen full of food it doesnt mean its difficult.

There are animals all over the map, one bag of tomato seeds can feed the entire server and you can fish for eternity from both the ponds and NOW the ocean.

Still way too easy to survive.

Were you at the kamenka forest base in a barrack? cause i was carrying an aks in my back pack but a guy who said he was russion killed me with a sawed off double barrel... was this you?

nope, i was in the military base next to vybor and i'm not russian ;) . i killed the guy carrying the AKS74U in front of the tank outside the base with an AKM.

The MP5-K is the Kurtz (short version) and typically does not come with a butt stock , you can attach one but it is not a bug. If anything it was a bug to have one attached as a matter of course anyway.

I'm having a bug where I can't take items off dead bodies, has anyone else had this?

Yep had this yesterday, all of the items on the body appeared empty (I know this bug) but I could not remove any clothing or backpack, or add anything to them to show the contents and so could not loot anything from it.

Edited by Durzos

didn't found anything related to the new AK74 and AKS74U except some ammo. youtubers and their friends hopped all the barracks continuously when last 0.50 was released. beeing the first to show the new weapons gives you a lot of views on youtube i guess...

less than 2h after the patch release, silo already had a video on youtube showing AK74, AKS74U and 30 round 5.45*39 mags, no wonder how he gets those <_<

well, you'll find loot everywhere exept the barrack wich are all looted clean

ps : i'm sick of hoppers, especially in exp where there are few servers :(

I knew it. I stopped hopping after .45 because it was just unfair for poor newbies. If only devs can have a system to prevent that that but it seem pretty hard. Edited by DaNic2553

BTW have any of you guys noticed that every house now spawns loot. I was in electro to loot the north fire station and after getting out I checked a cabin to go patch up from zombies and I found a blaze sitting on the bed. I went to the spit level houses up to see if there's loot in there. I found AMMO the right kind for the blaze. After getting out I heard gunshots so I just went to cherno. Cars also spawn loot to and big blue wheal things.

Just because you cant find a house with a kitchen full of food it doesnt mean its difficult.

There are animals all over the map, one bag of tomato seeds can feed the entire server and you can fish for eternity from both the ponds and NOW the ocean.

Yeah, well...have you ever noted that:

HUNTING (required):

To cook: paper or bandages, sticks, matches

To cook (optional): gas stove, gas canister, matches, frying pan or cooking pot

To kill preys: firearm, ammo for firearm

To kill preys (optional): axe to chop ashwood stick, ashwood stick, rope, sticks, kitchen feathers

To kill preys (optional, only for rabbits): stick, metal wire

To skin preys: any kind of knife

FISHING (required):

To cook: paper or bandages, sticks, matches

To catch fishes: axe to chop ashwood stick, ashwood stick, rope, farming hoe to dig worms, worms, fishing hook

To catch fishes (optional, only for sardines in the sea): plastic bottle, bladed weapon to cut plastic bottle, farming hoe to dig worms, worms

To fillet preys: any kind of knife

GARDENING (required):

To plant seeds: farming hoe or shovel, fertilizer, tomato seeds, greenhouse in one of the towns

So...as you can see yes, there are several options in order to avoid starvation. Many of them are either item-heavy (hunting, fishing) or offer low rewards (calories gained with tomatoes are neglegible compared to other sources). Obviously when you're decently geared those options offer a valid alternative to braving any town hoping for the best...but when you're not geared or are in an emergency, trying to grow tomatoes/hunting/fishing is laughable. As a freshly spawn player, in the time you gather all resources needed either to fish or hunt you'll be dead if in the meantime you don't opt for good old scavenging. Trying to survive on tomatoes is easier and less costly, but you're pretty tied to a single spot and tomatoes don't keep you out of "red starvation" anyway. In the beginning, you HAVE to scavenge.

While I agree this 0.50 build is a lot less punitive than the previous ones AND it should be easier surviving than before, there's no need to pose as a hard-as-nails survivalmen and act all smug-like because hey, I can hunt in a videogame!

Edited by DocWolf
  • Like 1

Trying to survive on tomatoes is easier and less costly, but you're pretty tied to a single spot and tomatoes don't keep you out of "red starvation" anyway. In the beginning, you HAVE to scavenge.

I haven't tested this, but I'd be interested in seeing if someone is able to survive on *only* Tomatoes. Based on the numbers in the wiki (18 kca energy, 105 ml water, 111 ml stomach), Tomatoes provide such little energy that you would quickly get stuffed, but still be hungry - similar to apples, when it was a rough world in exp .50 early on, I found apples are just barely a net gain energy food and they have 4x as much calories. Based on the numbers, the only vegetable worth eating if your hungry is a potato, all veggies and fruits are good sources of water.

Food Data Source: http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Food_and_Drink

Yeah, well...have you ever noted that:

HUNTING (required):

Did they fix the bugged gas stove cooking i.e. the insta burning of the meat?

While I agree this 0.50 build is a lot less punitive than the previous ones AND it should be easier surviving than before, there's no need to pose as a hard-as-nails survivalmen and act all smug-like because hey, I can hunt in a videogame!

I think he was just trying to say there's no need to server hop for food. Not only is it everywhere, but if you have the time to run from Svetlo to Tent city then you have more than enough time to loot areas for a few basic supplies for hunting/fishing/making traps. On the other hand it's experimental so I know people aren't always "playing" so much as they are testing/trying new things.

Edited by solodude23

I think he was just trying to say there's no need to server hop for food. Not only is it everywhere, but if you have the time to run from Svetlo to Tent city then you have more than enough time to loot areas for a few basic supplies for hunting/fishing/making traps. On the other hand it's experimental so I know people aren't always "playing" so much as they are testing/trying new things.

There are still problems with item spawn, and other players looting before...so it is possible to misjudge the health level of your character, plan a trip that brings him too far ahead, hit several unlucky or already looted areas...and risk an embarassing death. I don't like server hopping, especially in EXP where your character gets wiped at least a couple of times in a month: but there's no need to pose as teh pro play3r gifting the noob with condescending tips.

Lately there are too many people on the forum bragging about how to proper play the game instead of working with the community to improve it, IMHO.

• Like 1

Agreed BUT, I was in a  serious pickle, I tried cooking some boar steaks, they just never went from raw to cooked, that was when I was having thirst issues, so I took the meat out of the fire and went to find water.  After I hydrated I tried cooking the steaks again but they just never went over to cooked.  With that I was a bit leery of cooking.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 1

Did they fix the bugged gas stove cooking i.e. the insta burning of the meat?

AFAIK it's not bugged: meat is cooked much more quickly, and the time window to pull it out to avoid burning is very short.

I have only second-hand reports to quote on that, though: I never used stoves. I stick to camp fires because they can warm you too, while stoves can be used only for cooking.

I haven't tested this, but I'd be interested in seeing if someone is able to survive on *only* Tomatoes. Based on the numbers in the wiki (18 kca energy, 105 ml water, 111 ml stomach), Tomatoes provide such little energy that you would quickly get stuffed, but still be hungry - similar to apples, when it was a rough world in exp .50 early on, I found apples are just barely a net gain energy food and they have 4x as much calories. Based on the numbers, the only vegetable worth eating if your hungry is a potato, all veggies and fruits are good sources of water.

Food Data Source: http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Food_and_Drink

You are correct in that tomatoes are the least energy-dense food item available in the game. I would theorize that it is possible to survive on tomatoes alone if you were willing to take advantage of a bit of a loophole in the game currently: drinking water until you vomit. When you sit at a water fountain and drink to the point of throwing up, you free up the entirety of your stomach capacity for additional food and water, kind of like hitting a reset button. The downside is that this wastes both water and energy. If you've got an unlimited or very large source of tomatoes, you could repeat this process infinitely until you are in the condition you would like to be. It would be very difficult to accomplish that if you were already starving though, and I imagine that staying energized would still be somewhat tedious and/or difficult if you intended to travel. Due to their extremely low density, it would be hard to carry enough tomatoes to survive on while still allowing inventory capacity for other necessary items. I made myself a few tables of information regarding food I'll share below...

--------------------------------------

Inventory Energy Density (kcal/slot)
-In order from most to least dense with energy by space taken up in the inventory.
-Inedible (raw, burnt, rotten, poison) food not included due to negative side effects.

(total kcal / # of slots) = inventory density
1. Rice (3740 / 2) = 1870
2. Canned Peaches (1360 / 1) = 1360
3. Powdered Milk (992 / 1) = 1
4. Cooked Cow Steak (930 / 1) = 930
5. Cooked Fish Fillet (560 / 1) = 560
6. Cooked Boar Steak (544 / 1) = 544
7. Cooked Deer Steak (537 / 1) = 537
8. Cooked Rabbit Leg (517 / 1) = 517
9. Cooked Goat Steak (486 / 1) = 486
10. Canned Tuna (475 / 1) = 475
11. Canned Baked Beans (462 / 1) = 462
12. Canned Sardines (333 / 1) = 333
13. Canned Spaghetti (300 / 1) = 300
14. Potato (284 / 1) = 284
15. Box of Cereal (930 / 4) = 232.5
16. Cooked Chicken Breast (193 / 1) = 193
17. Banana (151 / 1) = 151
18. Soda Can (142 / 1) = 142
19. Can of Tactical Bacon (107 / 1) = 107
20. Orange (71 / 1) = 71
21. Red Berries (70 / 1) = 70
22. Apple (69 / 1) = 69
23. Kiwi (42 / 1) = 42
24. Green Pepper (33 / 1) = 33
25. Zucchini (51 / 2) = 25.5
26. Tomato (18 / 1) = 18

Volumetric Energy Density (kcal/mL)
-In order from most to least energy-dense by space occupied in the stomach.
-As above, inedible (raw, burnt, rotten, poison) food is not included due to negative side effects.

(total kcal / mL of volume) = volumetric density
1. Powdered Milk (992 / 200) = 4.96
2. Cooked Cow Steak (930 / 190) = 4.89
3. Rice (3740 / 1000) = 3.74
4. Box of Cereal (930 / 250) = 3.72
5. Cooked Fish Fillet (560 / 160) = 3.50
6. Canned Sardines (333 / 96) = 3.47
7. Canned Peaches (1360 / 440) = 3.09
8. Canned Tuna (475 / 240) = 1.98
9. Cooked Chicken Breast (193 / 98) = 1.97
10. Red Berries (70 / 40) = 1.75
11. Cooked Rabbit Leg (517 / 299) = 1.73
12. Cooked Boar Steak (544 / 340) = 1.60
13. Cooked Deer Steak (537 / 340) = 1.58
14. Cooked Goat Steak (486 / 340) = 1.43
15. Canned Baked Beans (462 / 440) = 1.05
16. Banana (151 / 170) = 0.89
17. Soda Can (142 / 165) = 0.86
18. Potato (284 / 369) = 0.77
19. Canned Spaghetti (300 / 400) = 0.75
20. Kiwi (42 / 70) = 0.60
21. Apple (69 / 130) = 0.53
22. Orange (71 / 150) = 0.47
23. Can of Tactical Bacon (107 / 255) = 0.42  
24. Green Pepper (33 / 164) = 0.20
25. Tomato (18 / 111) = 0.16
26. Zucchini (51 / 323) = 0.16

Water Density Ratio (mL / kcal)
-In order from most to least water-dense by energy value versus water value.
-As above, inedible (raw, burnt, rotten, poison) food is not included due to negative side effects.
-Items listed with a negative (red) ratio will actually lower your body's water level.

1. Zucchini (306 / 51) = 6
2. Tomato (105 / 18) = 5.83
3. Green Pepper (154 / 33) = 4.67
4. Apple (172 / 69) = 2.49
5. Soda Can (330 / 142) = 2.32
6. Orange (131 / 71) = 1.85
7. Kiwi (59 / 42) = 1.40
8. Canned Spaghetti (324 / 300) = 1.08
9. Potato (293 / 284) = 1.03
10. Banana (128 / 151) = 0.85 
11. Canned Baked Beans (330 / 462) = 0.71
12. Cooked Goat Steak (232 / 486) = 0.48
13. Cooked Deer Steak (222 / 537) = 0.41
14. Cooked Boar Steak (217 / 544) = 0.40
15. Cooked Rabbit Leg (184 / 517) = 0.36
16. Cooked Chicken Breast (61 / 193) = 0.32
17. Canned Tuna (144 / 475) = 0.30
18. Canned Sardines (96 / 333) = 0.29
19. Cooked Fish Fillet (160 / 560) = 0.29
20. Canned Peaches (350 / 1360) = 0.26
21. Cooked Cow Steak (190 / 930) = 0.20
22. Red Berries (4 / 70) = 0.06
23. Can of Tactical Bacon (3 / 107) = 0.03
24. Rice (-1000 / 3740) = -0.27
25. Box of Cereal (-250 / 930) = -0.27
26. Powdered Milk = -0.40
Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 3

Agreed BUT, I was in a  serious pickle, I tried cooking some boar steaks, they just never went from raw to cooked, that was when I was having thirst issues, so I took the meat out of the fire and went to find water.  After I hydrated I tried cooking the steaks again but they just never went over to cooked.  With that I was a bit leery of cooking.

Yeah it seems cook time varies a bit but I'm not sure what it's based on. Yesterday & day before I caught some rabbits in my snare and they seemed to cook within a few minutes with a few logs (I think 3). Today I got some deer steaks and they seemed to take forever - was probably about 10 minutes before they cooked. This time I started with 2 logs and upgraded to 3 halfway.

Yeah it seems cook time varies a bit but I'm not sure what it's based on. Yesterday & day before I caught some rabbits in my snare and they seemed to cook within a few minutes with a few logs (I think 3). Today I got some deer steaks and they seemed to take forever - was probably about 10 minutes before they cooked. This time I started with 2 logs and upgraded to 3 halfway.

My boar and deer stakes took about 5 minutes. But they went from raw to burned unless that is what is supposed to happen or do I need to add water? (I was using the portable gas stove and a frying pan) Also after I put the stove back in my inventory, this happened 

Edited by Dafix
  • Like 3

*snip*  Also after I put the stove back in my inventory, this happened *snip*

Smoke screen, confirmed.

Hey have any of you tried brass knuckles. If they are, are they a good at beating.

Similar to fists, but with a higher chance your enemy will start bleeding.

Similar to fists, but with a higher chance your enemy will start bleeding.

It also seems they hit faster and I was able to kill several zombies in one hit to the head.

• Like 3

Hey have any of you tried brass knuckles. If they are, are they a good at beating.

They can drop a zed in 1 or 2 hits.

24. Green Pepper (33 / 164) = 0.20

25. Tomato (18 / 111) = 0.16
26. Zucchini (51 / 323) = 0.16

Wow is there even a point...

Totally agree.

It's like people don't get that they find food in houses easily or the means to hunt easily because they're extremely lucky that stuff isn't looted yet not because they're pro players.

Easily possible to spawn somewhere where literally every place with food in a survivable running zone is looted and it gets kinda hard to find anything when your screen is black and white from being minutes from falling over unconscious.

Not played this experimental build mind you but people acted like this before anyway.

We have more options for getting food than ever before but they're only really viable once you've got past the first hunger stage and can search for rope etc.

Also you forgot that some sort of backpack is pretty much a necessity too unless you leave stuff lying around but that's risky and time consuming while starving, extra layer of difficulty.

• Like 1

My boar and deer stakes took about 5 minutes. But they went from raw to burned unless that is what is supposed to happen or do I need to add water? (I was using the portable gas stove and a frying pan) 

Yeah the portable gas stove has been bugged for some time and it skips straight from 'raw' to 'cooked' last I heard. It's best to cook using a fire - no frying pan or pot is necessary. I'm not sure how long you have until the meat will go from cooked to burned but it's best to keep a watch/

• Like 1

Yeah the portable gas stove has been bugged for some time and it skips straight from 'raw' to 'cooked' last I heard. It's best to cook using a fire - no frying pan or pot is necessary. I'm not sure how long you have until the meat will go from cooked to burned but it's best to keep a watch/

Cheers mate, I'll try it with fire next time.