jamiereid_wow@hotmail.co.uk

Has Anyone Else lost Faith in Dayz?

So like most of you I was pretty excited about the 0.45 patch hitting stable servers; and like some of you I played it on experimental a while back for 3 days to experience the new content. Needless to say the experiental was rife with issues that lower the quality of the experience; the constant dysnc being the main problem; but that was fine tbh. It was experimental after all and these things are expected. I had a good time and the game felt a little closer to that Dayz magic we loved from the mod some years ago.

What really disappointed me today after playing stable to experience the new content was the lack of any changes made to patch before it was released on stable servers. The dsync is still a big issue, and after 2 hours it just got to the point where I wasn't sure why I was continuing to play this game. If i didn't know any better I would assume no attempt to correct some of the known issues about the patch have been made to the content in the month or so it has been available on experimental. It's as if they knew the dsync would continue to be a game breaking issue but decided to push it on to stable servers anyway. i just don't see the logic in that. This combined with issues that have plagued the game since the mod; such as zeds spotting you when you know the really shouldn't or landing a hit on you when again you know it was an impossibility. These are problems that are over 2 years old yet here we are still experiencing them. 2 years on and im still getting hit by a zombie through the floor of the room below.

Does anyone honestly believe the 2 zed issue's I just mentioned will ever be fixed?

A better question would be do you believe the developers even know how to fix them?

I just feel like Dayz will always feel like modules that has been glued together and will play as smoothly as something can that has been given that design approach; instead of content that fits together as a jigsaw puzzle that was designed so each piece fits together perfectly without breaking the surrounding pieces it touches. When more new content is added I now ask myself what the colateral damage will be to the entire game structure.

We all know when new content/code is added to a game, it is innevitable that it will conflict with the existing material, and thus unforeseen bugs/glitches occur. I just feel that perhaps due to the nature of the the core mechanics that govern the sturcture of the game; the new pieces that are added will never truely fit.

Anyone else losing faith, or do you think the game will one day run as smoothly as we hope in all the key areas; old and new?

Im very worried about the impact of adding vehicles will have to quality of a already broken alpha.

(p.s. - I know its alpha, please don't start with that. I want to see the game succeed in terms of critical reception as much as the rest of you and the Dayz team) 

Hello! Every game out there is a horrible mess held together by duck tape and silly string, you usually don't have the "luxury" to write the very best code you can due to time constrains, and because the end user doesn't care in the end (read: will never see it).

• Like 1

This game has the potential to be my all time favorite game so no. I`ll never loose faith.

Loving the new patch by the way. Crashed to desktop 3-4 times yesterday though.

Hope it gets fixed soon.

Im enjoying it but I get frustrated occasionally because the last year it seems I'm constantly waiting for a good game to play , or waiting for alpha's to get finished. Still looking forward to the 'ultimate zombie experience' and I dont think we're there yet.

Also, RE CARS...I think they should have just thrown in a couple of DAY Z Mod cars & Bikes-- they are in the coding already- just turn those 'on' whilst they are working in the background on the nice new upgradable vechicles this would have given us all something to do and not be as bored. I don't see why they have to disable those, just because the new ones are going to be better. Well the new zombies are going to be better someday, but we still get along with the old ones.

I think mountain bike, motorbike, jeep, and saloon should all be turned on, just the Arma 2 versions/mod versions which are confirmed to be in the code already. When the new ones are done add them in for sure, it just gives the game some momentum in this alpha stage which is a bit boring currently.

For people say why what difference the map is too small etc. Well the vechicle gives your teams something to aim for, an end game, also the storage would be persistant, and it stops server hopping as much if you have a vechicle in progress on a server, it means you will want to stick to that server.

This game has the potential to be my all time favorite game so no. I`ll never loose faith.

Loving the new patch by the way. Crashed to desktop 3-4 times yesterday though.

Hope it gets fixed soon.

Hey at least you didn't press a button on your keyboard followed by this happening.... XD

Than you would be really screwed.

the main issue im havbing right now is the lack of M4s/Mosins

COD called, they have some leftovers :D

if anything...the rarity of said firearms i a good Thing.

We punched a cow to death.

We skinned and guttered it.

We made a campfire.

We danced around the campfire, punching each another.

I got a knife to the face for stealing the only unburnt steak.

Best. Game. Ever.

Just fix the crashes.

• Like 1

Lost Faith in the Game?..Heck No!!

But after the latest update I am at a loss with respect to how to find 5.56mm ammunition...7.62 x 39 is apparently the gold standard now and the AK47 the queen of battle. Apparently 5.56mm will only be available at crashed helicopter loot spawns and finding those before they are stripped is going to be a real bugger. And crashed chopper locations will now become bait that will draw survivors into the hasty kill zones of sniper clowns. I don't know if this is a problem but I have seen a lot of 7.62 x39 ammo in boxes and in 30round AK magazines but no AK's. I did not lose my M4A1, ammo or 40rnd magazines as some have but I think the days of over kill and automatic fire are over for that weapon. 

So there are problems such as the upgraded binoculars suddenly taking up 4 slots in your inventory (2 x 2) as opposed to 1. The change caused me to lose my extra compass, a new can opener, and a  9mm magazine. But the upside is that the binoculars now work correctly in the prone, crouched, and standing positions. All in all a good trade. Another upside is that It was cool to see a deer and a hog that I could have killed but didn't as I couldn't have cooked the meat. 

I think the development team is doing a fine job and not only have I not lost faith I am enthused by the methodical progress they are making.        

Edited by Xbow

Only real issue I am having with the latest patch is my server with Vilayer is crashing every hour when I reach over 15+ players.

Im enjoying it but I get frustrated occasionally because the last year it seems I'm constantly waiting for a good game to play , or waiting for alpha's to get finished. Still looking forward to the 'ultimate zombie experience' and I dont think we're there yet.

Also, RE CARS...I think they should have just thrown in a couple of DAY Z Mod cars & Bikes-- they are in the coding already- just turn those 'on' whilst they are working in the background on the nice new upgradable vechicles this would have given us all something to do and not be as bored. I don't see why they have to disable those, just because the new ones are going to be better. Well the new zombies are going to be better someday, but we still get along with the old ones.

I think mountain bike, motorbike, jeep, and saloon should all be turned on, just the Arma 2 versions/mod versions which are confirmed to be in the code already. When the new ones are done add them in for sure, it just gives the game some momentum in this alpha stage which is a bit boring currently.

For people say why what difference the map is too small etc. Well the vechicle gives your teams something to aim for, an end game, also the storage would be persistant, and it stops server hopping as much if you have a vechicle in progress on a server, it means you will want to stick to that server.

The problem is everything else has been redone.  The zombies aren't the same zombies from the mod, they've also been redone, new skeletons/models everything.  Their ai just sucks right now.

For cars, we've seen videos of what happens when people mod in the cars.  Your character is standing in them/sticking through the roof etc.  They would need to create animations/poses for those old cars, because the characters have been completely redone.  How would you implement the parts system as well?  Would you just not have parts, and only working vehicles?  That's dull and people would complain.  If you implement having to repair vehicles, you then need to put all those models into the game as well.  I mean I guess they could just use the old ones, but there'd be a serious difference in quality.  It's all time and resources devoted to implementing the old stuff instead of working on the new.

The thing is they are redoing pretty much everything from scratch.  They don't want to waste time implementing half ass systems, that they'll just have to scrap and replace.  I know it gets thrown around probably too much, but it's the alpha.  This isn't about the players and having a fun time unfortunately.  Trust me, I totally feel ya and wish they would make some compromises to give us as testers a better experience while we wait, but then again there's still the mod for that.

This stuff will come, we just need to wait, and it will be better than the mod.  That's the entire point.  We knew what we were getting into when we bought it early.

Now if they'd just hurry up =P

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

I definitely feel like I got my money's worth; I just don't feel like I got the experience that could be possible. The fixing off the two zed issues I mentioned above alone would make me want to play the game much more regularly.

It's been said so many times. Current zombies are placeholders and will not be the same once they get to optimising them. There's no use fixing them now as they're not going to be the final product.

I'm enjoying it for what it is which is a game that is bare bones. Nothing's done, not 1 think which is what I expect for a game that's been live alpha for 6 months. I can't wait to see it grow but I will wait.

I deliberately don't play the game that much. 1) there isn't much of a game and 2) I'd rather wait until the game is finished. When they add in new things like hunting and cooking, that makes me want to play to learn how those things work. DayZ is a game you can leave alone for 3 months and come back to and it's fun all over again.

• Like 1

Lost Faith in the Game?..Heck No!!

But after the latest update I am at a loss with respect to how to find 5.56mm ammunition...7.62 x 39 is apparently the gold standard now and the AK47 the queen of battle. Apparently 5.56mm will only be available at crashed helicopter loot spawns and finding those before they are stripped is going to be a real bugger. 

In the exp (I don't know if this has changed in the current stable) you could still find stacks of 5.56 ammo at military loot spawns, just no mags.

These are problems that are over 2 years old yet here we are still experiencing them. 

I am curious to learn how you have been able to play SA for over 2 years.

Let's go through this...

• ☑ Long rambling post
  • ☑ Complaints about an unfinished game being unfinished
  • ☑ Sweeping generalisations about features and their implementation
  • ☑ Questioning the veracity of a possible finished product
  • ☑ Whining in general
  • ☐ Demanding money back.
Well I think that's everything covered. It was close OP, you nearly had a full house. Next time though.. Edited by ricp
  • Like 4

The dsync is still a big issue, and after 2 hours it just got to the point where I wasn't sure why I was continuing to play this game. If i didn't know any better I would assume no attempt to correct some of the known issues about the patch have been made to the content in the month or so it has been available on experimental. It's as if they knew the dsync would continue to be a game breaking issue but decided to push it on to stable servers anyway. i just don't see the logic in that.

The desync you are experiencing right now is not the same problem as the rubberbanding in the 0.45 experimental version. The rubberbanding there was a navigation problem caused by the server not communicating properly with the client (happend mostly when leaving buildings, and has been fixed), whereas the current desync is just plainly poor serverperformance. I suppose you will have to wait for 64 Bit Servers before this kind of stuff is fixed.

The Zombies hitting you through walls is probarbly gonna be fxed when the new navmesh will be introduced.

Getting informed really helps avoiding frustration  ;-) 

Edited by Ronny Rotten

I would but sadly its not out yet. *Shrugs*

Isn't it great when people compare an alpha game with video showcases of another game that isn't even out yet? Does nobody remember Alien: colonial marine? For every shiny thing they show you, they conveniently turn away from the stuff that is hopelessly broken or not even done yet.

• Like 3

Isn't it great when people compare an alpha game with video showcases of another game that isn't even out yet? Does nobody remember Alien: colonial marine? For every shiny thing they show you, they conveniently turn away from the stuff that is hopelessly broken or not even done yet.

Yeah rushing wont help and even the developers said they wouldn't be proud of it if they did. So ill be fine until they feel the alpha is polished enough.

Edited by Deathlove

I'll lose faith if it releases as a full release and it's still really buggy and short on features.

I honestly feel a lot of people who are upset with the game at this stage should've learnt to read:

"If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you may want to wait until the game progresses further in development."

"It is a work in progress and therefore contains a variety of bugs. We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle."

Caveat emptor. Vote with your wallets next time ye dumb sheep.

• Like 1

It is comforting to me, that I can not visit these forums for a couple months, come back and see that topic content has not changed. It's like putting on a pair comfy jeans. Thanks guys.

• Like 3

It is comforting to me, that I can not visit these forums for a couple months, come back and see that topic content has not changed. It's like putting on a pair comfy jeans. Thanks guys.

Video game angst makes the best fabric softener. 

How do you lose faith in a game? Are you concerned that Dayz will not provide for your unborn child? Do you think that Dayz will pilfer money from your wallet for drugs? Is it that this video game may abandon you at the first sign of trouble? Is it that Dayz may bang your alcoholic girlfriend while you're at work? This is a game... It either entertains you or it doesn't; no faith required.

• Like 1

Nope. Because I'm not some impatient being. I will stick it out to the end, and I can already see this game becoming a wonderful picture in the end of this year. :)

tumblr_n3sd40jnmE1snfldqo1_500.gif

You mean Colonial Marines that looked great in all the previews, had all us Aliens fans drooling, upset Angry Joe "You fucked it up!" and came out with the biggest POS game and story ever? Do you remember how they lied to us and showed us shit that never made it to the game - the really good graphics for one thing. The shittiest of shit AI?

And I never bought the game! I just looked at every single review and couldn't believe what they were showing. OK I could believe it but like Joe, I desperately wanted a brilliant, aliens: colonial marines game and now we probably never will have.

They could have made that game great. They could have had an amazing cooperative mode where you all played through the story together with some great plot twists, sections of the game wear you all get split up and your in-game comms keeps going all static so u can barely make out what their sayi...ARRGHHH WTF WTF!!!!! BLAMBLAMBLAM!!! FUCK ME THAT FUCKER CAME OUT OF NOWHERE then through the fog of your panic all you can hear are your mates pissing themselves laughing at you over comms.

Someone needs to make a ripoff of that game and make it good - they'd make a killing Aliens: Partisan Rangers or something.

Fuckers!

• Like 1

In the exp (I don't know if this has changed in the current stable) you could still find stacks of 5.56 ammo at military loot spawns, just no mags.

I hope you're right. Unfortunately in my case the changes have caused me to trust other players even less. I was haunting the big airfield looking for a knife.  There I shot two other players on sight while they were looting the tent city area as I was out of the fear that starting over would be a real beyatch and I wouldn't be having my M4A1 & ACOG set up. It seems like an AKM and a PSO scope would be a hard to find and not entirely equal replacement. So for now I am in paranoid self defense mode. Normally I avoid contact with other players and do not shoot on sight and now I will avoid contact and shoot on sight. 

One thing really needs to be fixed and that is spawning in a standing exposed and completely helpless condition sucks. If player fails to find a safe place to spawn I have no mercy but if a player gets the imminent shut down message while making a dash across a field and re-spawns standing in the open and gets greased that's a bad deal. The default posture for re-spawning should be the prone position. I shot a player by accident because I guess the dude spawned by a barracks and  I was looking into the sun and assumed that he was a zombie so in my ignorance I riddled the poor paralyzed fucker.      

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

I hope you're right. Unfortunately in my case the changes have caused me to trust other players even less. I was haunting the big airfield looking for a knife.  There I shot two other players on sight while they were looting the tent city area as I was out of the fear that starting over would be a real beyatch and I wouldn't be having my M4A1 & ACOG set up. It seems like an AKM and a PSO scope would be a hard to find and not entirely equal replacement. So for now I am in paranoid self defense mode. Normally I avoid contact with other players and do not shoot on sight and now I will avoid contact and shoot on sight. 

One thing really needs to be fixed and that is spawning in a standing exposed and completely helpless condition sucks. If player fails to find a safe place to spawn I have no mercy but if a player gets the imminent shut down message while making a dash across a field and re-spawns standing in the open and gets greased that's a bad deal. The default posture for re-spawning should be the prone position. I shot a player by accident because I guess the dude spawned by a barracks and  I was looking into the sun and assumed that he was a zombie so in my ignorance I riddled the poor paralyzed fucker.