Grimey Rick

EDITED - PETITION: Should a sound be made when we log on and off?

285 members have voted

1. 1. Should a sound be made when logging on/off?

• Yay!
    • Nay!

A noise is sorely needed upon logging in/out for these reasons. My 2 friends and I used to play when we all had similar schedules. One day, we were shot at at balota and took shelter in the jail. One of us watched the door, the other the windows, and the third had to run around the building like a madman to ensure that we weren't being ghosted. How is that realistic? How is that fair? Another time, we engaged someone inside a building. He was pinned down, and we were planning our next move, as we were sure he would have the door covered. Lo and behold, he ghosts behind us and wipes 2 of us. A sound on login/out is the most reasonable way to prevent exploitation of a shitty game mechanic. Players shouldnt have to continuously clear a building theyve already gone through because someone might teleport behind them. If you don't want to be killed on login, dont log out somewhere stupid. If you dont want to be killed on logging out, dont log out somewhere stupid. Those who log out while in combat, pinned down, I have no sympathy for, and the game mechanics shouldnt either.

• Like 2

why don't you just be more aware of your surroundings... duh!

I've said it twice this morning - this makes three times now.

login/logout sounds are stupid.

I have NEVER played a game that made sounds that were audible to other players on login or logout. DayZ was the first in all my 20 odd years of gaming (could be that I just don't like FPS games all that much good thing DayZ is a survival sim).

Being aware of your surroundings only gets you so far. There is no justifiable reason why there shouldn't be a subtle noise made when logging on or off.

As far as your "experience" in gaming, there's never been a game like DayZ in which you lose everything upon dying. Spawning in behind someone in World of Warcraft, Grand Theft Auto, or Counter-Strike deathmatch doesn't carry nearly as much weight since they'll respawn several seconds later close to the location they died and be able to exact revenge if they so desire. When this happens in DayZ, it strips the victim of hours and in some cases, days of their life. In the opinion of many, it's a less direct method of ghosting and needs to be addressed.

Now, as I'VE stated half a dozen times in this very thread:

1) If you don't want to die upon logging on, make sure you log out in an area away from contested hotspots. Take thirty seconds and run to a random group of trees away from traveled paths. A subtle sound made when logging on will not affect you if you follow this strategy. If you're too lazy to insure your avatar's safety when logging off, you deserve to be killed when logging on, especially in a contested area.

2) A sound should also be made AFTER SOMEONE HAS FULLY LOGGED OUT AND IS UNABLE TO BE KILLED to prevent people waiting for someone to exit a building when no one is actually there. If they're close enough to the building to hear the yawn (or whatever sound is implemented) signifying that a player has logged out, they won't end up waiting an hour before deciding to move in to check it out.

This isn't really much of a debate anymore. Seemingly, the only people arguing against aforementioned sounds are those using the lack thereof for malicious intent, or are too lazy to find somewhere safe to log off before server hopping.

/thread

• Like 2

Being aware of your surroundings only gets you so far. There is no justifiable reason why there shouldn't be a subtle noise made when logging on or off.

As far as your "experience" in gaming, there's never been a game like DayZ in which you lose everything upon dying. Spawning in behind someone in World of Warcraft, Grand Theft Auto, or Counter-Strike deathmatch doesn't carry nearly as much weight since they'll respawn several seconds later close to the location they died and be able to exact revenge if they so desire. When this happens in DayZ, it strips the victim of hours and in some cases, days of their life. In the opinion of many, it's a less direct method of ghosting and needs to be addressed.

Now, as I'VE stated half a dozen times in this very thread:

1) If you don't want to die upon logging on, make sure you log out in an area away from contested hotspots. Take thirty seconds and run to a random group of trees away from traveled paths. A subtle sound made when logging on will not affect you if you follow this strategy. If you're too lazy to insure your avatar's safety when logging off, you deserve to be killed when logging on, especially in a contested area.

2) A sound should also be made AFTER SOMEONE HAS FULLY LOGGED OUT AND IS UNABLE TO BE KILLED to prevent people waiting for someone to exit a building when no one is actually there. If they're close enough to the building to hear the yawn (or whatever sound is implemented) signifying that a player has logged out, they won't end up waiting an hour before deciding to move in to check it out.

This isn't really much of a debate anymore. Seemingly, the only people arguing against aforementioned sounds are those using the lack thereof for malicious intent, or are too lazy to find somewhere safe to log off before server hopping.

/thread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_death#In_multiplayer_video_games  this is not unique nor is it entirely innovative. it is simply another way to artificially make the game more difficult while not having to add more substantive measures to accomplish it.

I am not a PVP player so none of your arguments for the silly sounds mean anything to me other than the fact that when the sound bug was in game I was constantly wondering if I was really deep enough into the woods to log on with out attracting attention (until I learned to empty my weapons before logoff). I am so glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I have no malicious intent, contrary to your assertion, and I am in most cases extremely fastidious about where I log off because I really do NOT want to meet any of you in the game on accident.

having login/logout sounds will cause people to log on to empty servers just for the sake of movement to ensure they are "safe". are you sure you want to encourage this type of behavior?

someone else mentioned having a status notification for when players join or part the server. I'd rather see that than all the "you are getting wet" messages and it will let you know that someone is coming so pay attention, or that guy you were stalking just left so go do something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_death#In_multiplayer_video_games  this is not unique nor is it entirely innovative. it is simply another way to artificially make the game more difficult while not having to add more substantive measures to accomplish it.

I am not a PVP player so none of your arguments for the silly sounds mean anything to me other than the fact that when the sound bug was in game I was constantly wondering if I was really deep enough into the woods to log on with out attracting attention (until I learned to empty my weapons before logoff). I am so glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I have no malicious intent, contrary to your assertion, and I am in most cases extremely fastidious about where I log off because I really do NOT want to meet any of you in the game on accident.

having login/logout sounds will cause people to log on to empty servers just for the sake of movement to ensure they are "safe". are you sure you want to encourage this type of behavior?

someone else mentioned having a status notification for when players join or part the server. I'd rather see that than all the "you are getting wet" messages and it will let you know that someone is coming so pay attention, or that guy you were stalking just left so go do something else.

But if they wanted to pvp, they would have to join a full(ish) server....so they would log out/in somewhere safe....So I don't think your point really stands.

• Like 1

While the textual notification may be a viable temporary substitute for a sound being made when logging on or off, it detracts from immersion while the sounds do not. I've read several times on Reddit that the DayZ team plans to remove all textual cues by the time the game is released. The textual notifications would exacerbate the current situation.

If you are not someone who engages in PVP combat, why DayZ? This game has always been based on PVP and always will be.

I may be misinterpreting your point pertaining to players being "forced" to move solely on unpopulated servers due to the suggested sounds, but they're eventually going to have to switch to a populated server to partake in the player interaction that DayZ is based emphatically upon. I don't understand why you'd suggest that they'd have to "move around" on an unpopulated server. If they're that intimidated by the simple process of finding somewhere relatively safe to log off, then perhaps DayZ is not for them. I, and several others that have posted in this very thread, have never been killed when logging on. Why do you think that is? Are you suggesting it's pure luck that out of the 1,000+ hours I've played I haven't been spotted logging on, or perhaps due to the fact that I insure I'm in a generally untraveled, hidden location?

Anyway, again, all of your points are fairly petty and don't really stand ground against the alternative which is potentially being shot in the back of the head by someone who just happens to log on in the right place at the right time. If the player that is already logged on has no chance to defend against someone magically appearing behind them while they're watching a door, that is poor game design.

• Like 1

While the textual notification may be a viable temporary substitute for a sound being made when logging on or off, it detracts from immersion while the sounds do not. I've read several times on Reddit that the DayZ team plans to remove all textual cues by the time the game is released. The textual notifications would exacerbate the current situation.

If you are not someone who engages in PVP combat, why DayZ? This game has always been based on PVP and always will be.

I may be misinterpreting your point pertaining to players being "forced" to move solely on unpopulated servers due to the suggested sounds, but they're eventually going to have to switch to a populated server to partake in the player interaction that DayZ is based emphatically upon. I don't understand why you'd suggest that they'd have to "move around" on an unpopulated server. If they're that intimidated by the simple process of finding somewhere relatively safe to log off, then perhaps DayZ is not for them. I, and several others that have posted in this very thread, have never been killed when logging on. Why do you think that is? Are you suggesting it's pure luck that out of the 1,000+ hours I've played I haven't been spotted logging on, or perhaps due to the fact that I insure I'm in a generally untraveled, hidden location?

Anyway, again, all of your points are fairly petty and don't really stand ground against the alternative which is potentially being shot in the back of the head by someone who just happens to log on in the right place at the right time. If the player that is already logged on has no chance to defend against someone magically appearing behind them while they're watching a door, that is poor game design.

so if they remove all the textual notifications from the game does that mean we will be having to hit tab just to see if we are hungry? and this doesn't "break immersion"??

its a zombie apocalypse survival sim - the other players on the map are just more things to survive against, avoidance is the best method of surviving other players. have you not noticed just how PRETTY the game is? my god, the devs have done some very amazing work on the models and textures - its almost photo-realistic, yes I am an eyecandy whore. so I've seen more than my share of vids from the mod - I think you have the two games confused as standalone is NOT the mod. the fragfest that is dayz mod is well documented on youtube and that is one of the reasons I never bothered with it, buying a whole game I wont play just to play the mod was the other reason. I have followed the development of standalone for well over 2 years now waiting with great anticipation and the minute I had the cash after release I bought it, I have now logged over 950 hours in the game and there is no sign that I will ever tire of it.

like you, I have never been killed by someone logging in behind me. maybe that's because, like you, I will find a safe place to log out and I will wait in that place for at least a minute before I actually log off usually much longer. I do however understand that at any point while I am playing someone just might log in behind me and shoot me in the head, that's why I check my six every 2 minutes, so far so good.

I never said anything about forcing anyone to do anything however I am well aware of human nature and people will CHOOSE to take the easy route and that's finding your empty server to get to a safe place so you can log in to your full sever. pretty sure that's a form of ghosting is it not?

as far as player interaction is concerned... this is a full on PVP capable game and as a result 90% of my personal player interaction involves me watching you through my scope and me deciding not to pull the trigger, the other 10% can be rather embarrassing I must admit as I am usually missing my CQC shots and having my head blown off. I don't want your stuff and I don't need your stuff but I am often happy to give you mine (all the more reason to go exploring for gear). you are merely an inconvenience on my journey of exploration and survival through a beautiful landscape full of wonder and horror.

I don't think my points are petty at all, I just don't think we are playing the same game.

edit: oh almost forgot to mention zombies, did you know there are zombies in the game?

Edited by Elle

so if they remove all the textual notifications from the game does that mean we will be having to hit tab just to see if we are hungry? and this doesn't "break immersion"??

its a zombie apocalypse survival sim - the other players on the map are just more things to survive against, avoidance is the best method of surviving other players. have you not noticed just how PRETTY the game is? my god, the devs have done some very amazing work on the models and textures - its almost photo-realistic, yes I am an eyecandy whore. so I've seen more than my share of vids from the mod - I think you have the two games confused as standalone is NOT the mod. the fragfest that is dayz mod is well documented on youtube and that is one of the reasons I never bothered with it, buying a whole game I wont play just to play the mod was the other reason. I have followed the development of standalone for well over 2 years now waiting with great anticipation and the minute I had the cash after release I bought it, I have now logged over 950 hours in the game and there is no sign that I will ever tire of it.

like you, I have never been killed by someone logging in behind me. maybe that's because, like you, I will find a safe place to log out and I will wait in that place for at least a minute before I actually log off usually much longer. I do however understand that at any point while I am playing someone just might log in behind me and shoot me in the head, that's why I check my six every 2 minutes, so far so good.

I never said anything about forcing anyone to do anything however I am well aware of human nature and people will CHOOSE to take the easy route and that's finding your empty server to get to a safe place so you can log in to your full sever. pretty sure that's a form of ghosting is it not?

as far as player interaction is concerned... this is a full on PVP capable game and as a result 90% of my personal player interaction involves me watching you through my scope and me deciding not to pull the trigger, the other 10% can be rather embarrassing I must admit as I am usually missing my CQC shots and having my head blown off. I don't want your stuff and I don't need your stuff but I am often happy to give you mine (all the more reason to go exploring for gear). you are merely an inconvenience on my journey of exploration and survival through a beautiful landscape full of wonder and horror.

I don't think my points are petty at all, I just don't think we are playing the same game.

edit: oh almost forgot to mention zombies, did you know there are zombies in the game?

This game is the result of the popularity of the Mod. It's a clone being developed with a sizeable budget. All things considered, it will unfortunately be the same thing as the Mod. We already have the same cretins that blast you on sight, yell racial slurs at you, etc. They could completely remove the ability to kill other players and there would still be people who would find a way to grief others.

I can appreciate your passion for DayZ and the reasons you play it; DayZ is an open world horror survival simulator and can be played in very different and imaginative ways. However, I'd hazard a guess that the bulk of the community plays this game for the player interactions that mostly result in killing one another. For that reason, this game needs to be balanced from that perspective.

The suggested sound effect is neither blatant not intrusive; a subtle noise that would give those within, say, a 25 meter radius some warning that they're in danger of being shot in the back of the head. You wouldn't have to worry about unloading your gun as it wouldn't be a reloading noise. I'd even be fine if it only made the noise when someone logged on inside a building. That would both deter people attempting to blindly ghost in airfields and keep those who log out in the trees safe.

Also, as far as the zombies are concerned... in their current form, let's just say that they're more of an annoyance and not much of a challenge. (;

• Like 4

This game is the result of the popularity of the Mod. It's a clone being developed with a sizeable budget. All things considered, it will unfortunately be the same thing as the Mod. We already have the same cretins that blast you on sight, yell racial slurs at you, etc. They could completely remove the ability to kill other players and there would still be people who would find a way to grief others.

I can appreciate your passion for DayZ and the reasons you play it; DayZ is an open world horror survival simulator and can be played in very different and imaginative ways. However, I'd hazard a guess that the bulk of the community plays this game for the player interactions that mostly result in killing one another. For that reason, this game needs to be balanced from that perspective.

The suggested sound effect is neither blatant not intrusive; a subtle noise that would give those within, say, a 25 meter radius some warning that they're in danger of being shot in the back of the head. You wouldn't have to worry about unloading your gun as it wouldn't be a reloading noise. I'd even be fine if it only made the noise when someone logged on inside a building. That would both deter people attempting to blindly ghost in airfields and keep those who log out in the trees safe.

Also, as far as the zombies are concerned... in their current form, let's just say that they're more of an annoyance and not much of a challenge. (;

ok you win I can live with a 25 meter radius and the inside the building sound is in fact a great idea ;)

I do hope it develops into the different game that everyone I read about was hoping it would be as well. so far its looking like it will be and that's not to say there will ever be less PVP in the game who wants that?? but it will accommodate many more play styles than the mod ever did and a result of this is more people like myself that will buy this game and play it their way. I am not alone in my play style, I read posts by people that play almost the same way I do all the time and more of us are coming so get prepared for many more survival types. just think of us as something else to hunt - I suspect that's how most of us are viewed anyway. I should mention that my play style is evolving as the features are added so even all the afore mentioned opinion is subject to change as the game changes. I actually shoot back a lot now, something I never did before. I got burned out on competitive FPS games way back when unreal tournament made its blazing arrival on the scene. yes I am that old.

DayZ Standalone is a breath of fresh air in the industry overall and I hope it sets a trend.

oh those sad poor zeds - they could use some of the mods magic for sure. but hey they were important enough for a whole studio to be working on it so I'm thinking we are on the right track :)

PS: I'll come to the dark side and change my vote but Rick, I do this for you and your compelling arguments. its guys like you that keep girls like me on our toes out there so on this point I will promote your issue and offer my thanks for making me jump at the sight of my own shadow (yes this really happens... rather a lot actually).

• Like 2

I don't mind the login noise, helps with hoppers I suppose.

When I log off I run deep into trees and then forget where I am when I log back in, gives me a little mission straight away to find out my location lol

Edited by wooly-back-jack

Not necessarily reload sound but any kind of indication that someone logs in. It happened to me at least once, I was a new spawn looting jail at the NEAF and heard reload sound. Turned around and there was a fully geared guy logging in right behind me inside of jail. I shot punched him and took all his gear.

Also an indication when someone logs out could be useful. Just a few days ago I was looting NWAF, took a shot at some decently geared guy but missed and then he ran into a hangar. I approached cautiously because I knew that if I run straight in I'd probably be greeted by a bullet, so I took my time. When I finally stormed into the hangar I saw the guy in there but split second later he vanished. Had there be a logout notice I'd go straight in and killed the combat logger. Or maybe knowing that there is a logoff sound he wouldn't combat log and spared himself from being covered in eternal disgrace of combat logging.

So yes, I think that log in and log out sounds should be present, they bring more good than bad.

Edited by coalminer
  • Like 1

No.

No War and Peace sized comment needed.

Simply..no, and all of the words containing N and O put together in that exact order.

No.

Simply..no, and all of the words containing N and O put together in that exact order.

Why not elaborate, are you ashamed of something?

No.

I generally love your posts Hets, but cant say I agree with this one.  There is very little argument supporting why there shouldnt be a sound other than Its not realistic and its unfair to those who log in \ out in poor choice areas.

Anyone confirm if there is a sound in the mod?

Its interesting to see how the "Yes's" have spiked up in numbers since more time has gone by since the sound was removed and\or the poll was edited to make more sense.

Love the added clause of the sound only happeneing when within (x distance) of a structure.

• Like 1

If we all agreed with each other all the time the world would be a boring place :)

There was never a sound in the mod, up until SA release anyway which was the last time i played. Instead of a sound there needs to be a system in that a player cannot spawn within x metres if a player is already within x metres.

For me it is on the guy logging out to have chosen a safe place to log, like in the forest in a tree which has always been the best place. Of course their are times when you have to log where you are , real life calls sometimes, but..it only takes a minutes or two no matter where you are on the map to find a forest and a tree.

• Like 1

Why not elaborate, are you ashamed of something?

Ashamed that i own war and peace or that i didn't feel the need to write a book sized post ?

Voted Yay, though there should be certain conditions met before the spawn sound is applied, so as not to punish people who legitimately logged out a day ago in some lame building. So at least the location and the time of last logout should be considered.

Edited by Powerhouse

This is a game it is not perfect it is not going to be like real life there will be problems like first person limiting your view and third person giving you a birdseye view over high walls - like the edge of the screen being blurred like your caricature's eye's are fixed in his head  and when you try to side step 2ft your caricature tries to run a marathon sideways.  we need things like login logout sounds and a subtle sound like creaking floorboards in a house and cracking twigs in the woods are more real than your caricature spazzing out when trying to load a gun this is why players are so concerned about login-out sounds in the game if they did it right the first time moor players wood like it and it wood not be a topic. For the players who say they never were killed by a player who logged in to a house they just cleared good for you when you lose hours of playing after a player logged into your building with no sound then come back and say that you do not mind there not being a login sound

Voted Yay, though there should be certain conditions met before the spawn sound is applied, so as not to punish people who legitimately logged out a day ago in some lame building. So at least the location and the time of last logout should be considered.

that is a good idea but what about the player who is just looking for food he clears the building and on his way out the door he gets shot in the back buy a player who legitimately logged out a day ago not having the sound's is punishing the player who was on the server first and teams of bandits who server hop/ghost  will take advantage of it buy camping the same building on more than one server all of them logging on to one server when one of them see a player in the building they are camping.

If we all agreed with each other all the time the world would be a boring place :)

There was never a sound in the mod, up until SA release anyway which was the last time i played. Instead of a sound there needs to be a system in that a player cannot spawn within x metres if a player is already within x metres.

For me it is on the guy logging out to have chosen a safe place to log, like in the forest in a tree which has always been the best place. Of course their are times when you have to log where you are , real life calls sometimes, but..it only takes a minutes or two no matter where you are on the map to find a forest and a tree.

stopping a player from logging in will let him know there is a player near the spot he last logged out giving him an advantage he can tell his friends who might be on team speak to go there. and teleporting him to a new spot X meters away will also give him an advantage where he can make his way back knowing there was a player X meters away from where he was meant to spawn + the server will not know if it is teleporting him right  in front of a sniper who will be outside the X meters radios putting that player at a disadvantage and in danger. There needs to be a sound it should be a distinct sound one that is related to the location in a house or in the woods so you know if it came from in the building or outside it something that can be recognised as a log in or out sound and not  mistaken for ambient sounds or other player made sounds the max radios that the sound can be heard should be not much more than the size of the average building 20m or 30m across the sound should fade buy 1/3 every 1/3 of the max distance so at the edge of the radios a player will need to be paying attention to notice the sound that will give the players who like to sneak up on others the chance to be stealthy. The time it takes to log out cannot be less that the time it will take for a player to hear you and cover the max distance of the log in-out sound's 20m or 30m to stop combat logging 

Edited by Boxer23

There's other ways to tell if someone has logged in close to you, not going to give it away but really most of you probably already know what I'm talking about.

This is what they should be aiming towards,because you still get sound bugs now,so how are you going to tell the difference..

You cant that's the issue.

And RagedDrew there are no ways to detect some1 has spawned in near..

Unless you are talking bout ESP which clean players don't use..

I had a mate who had some1 spawn right in front of him only yesterday,i got the same thing as well..

Only to kill theses players because there is no other option but to do it..

They both had m4 so they have put work into the game to get it..

There was no choice but to kill them.

we ripped up 7 people on 2 different occasions on nwaf...

thanks for the 4 drummags..we gonna put them to good use..*and thanks for your inception case(´s ) full of sks/ammo. Thanks for the saline too... you dident really see us, but you swallowed the decoy. welp..oh and thanks for the cooked steaks. :D thanks for the high capacity vest with a engraved 9mil and 5 mags...ah well...you win some you loose some... :D

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

...ah well...you win some you loose some... :D

*lose :D Edited by Murlough

This is what they should be aiming towards,because you still get sound bugs now,so how are you going to tell the difference..

You cant that's the issue.

And RagedDrew there are no ways to detect some1 has spawned in near..

Unless you are talking bout ESP which clean players don't use..

I had a mate who had some1 spawn right in front of him only yesterday,i got the same thing as well..

Only to kill theses players because there is no other option but to do it..

They both had m4 so they have put work into the game to get it..

There was no choice but to kill them.

There is a glitch where you reset back about 20m or something like that when a player spawns near you i cannot remember exactly what it is but there is one

Edited by Boxer23

I was in the police station once and I walked outside of the room I was just in only to get blasted by a guy that just logged in, in the room I was just in. It is a yay! from me, but I would prefer that if you log off inside a city it puts in the bushes just outside the city or you simply just can't log off 50m from buildings.