Grimey Rick

EDITED - PETITION: Should a sound be made when we log on and off?

285 members have voted

1. 1. Should a sound be made when logging on/off?

• Yay!
    • Nay!

There are several valid reasons why they're necessary:

• You're defending a building and someone logs on inside a different room and ends up shooting you in the back
  • You're exploring a contested area, someone logs on, they happen to be inside of the wall or underneath the floor and end up shooting you from the unknown without warning
  • They hard counter ghosting

First of all, it isn't difficult to run a few hundred meters out of a town/city/airfield when one is ready to log out. That way, when one logs back on, the odds of someone hearing these sounds are very minimal. One is then free to approach aforementioned contested areas at one's own discretion. Inversely, if one decides to log out inside of a contested building (fire station, jail building, barracks, police station, etc.), one shouldn't be rewarded with complete covertness thus enabling one to catch others completely off guard after they've swept a building and made sure it was clear. Secondly, with the amount of people hanging out inside walls and underneath floors, it'd be nice to have at least some warning that one of them has logged on while one is still looting a building. That way, one might have a chance to boot it out of there before they're able to draw their weapon and line up a shot.

In speaking with several role-playing friends of mine, I was provided a few less-than-stellar supporting arguments for the change, the most pertinent being non-friendlies climbing through a window to avoid detection. My response to that was that the game does not allow us to climb through windows, so it shouldn't be a possibility even from an "immersive" perspective.

Do you think the sounds when logging on should be brought back?

EDIT: teh splelingz

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 10

It was a silly placeholder that the mod never had and the SA never should have had imo.

Good Riddance.

I get it helped maybe the occasional c-logger but mostly it got innocent people killed.

• Like 15

It was a silly placeholder that the mod never had and the SA never should have had imo.

Good Riddance.

I get it helped maybe the occasional c-logger but mostly it got innocent people killed.

The mod is not standalone. How does it get innocent people killed? If you are not an idiot and don't log out in stupid places it doesn't effect you EVER. If you like to server hop, ghost or just be an idiot it will effect you? Which category do you fall in?

• Like 6

Actually it was a bug that was fixed/removed, so it was never intended to be there. What do people not get about that?

Nay!

=( , it would help with server hopping and its advantages imo.

• Like 2

Or

Just have one character per server so it does not become a problem anymore.

• Like 8

Or

oh i like that, what happens when your "standard" server is full though? should i be forced to play a fresh spawn because of a full server?

• Like 3

How did it help combat loggers? Common sense says it hurt combat loggers, and helped ordinary players cover their asses when a logger/hopper spawned into a popular building behind them.

• Like 2

Or

Dean has already said that the public servers will connected to hive. 

Actually it was a bug that was fixed/removed, so it was never intended to be there. What do people not get about that?

Nay!

Oh people "get that" but just because it wasn't intended doesn't mean that it should not be in the game and actually worked well. 

oh i like that, what happens when your "standard" server is full though? should i be forced to play a fresh spawn because of a full server?

Yes that is how it works.

Nope, guns do not load themselves for no reason.

I might support another indication sound, though.

• Like 6

Or what about that you can not log off in towns or structures in general?

Hm on the other hand, people would just alt+F4 anyway, so that would not help much.

Still I like the idea of not being able to log off in military areas atleast.

• Like 6

Some sort of sound on login is needed imo, it only promotes the right things...

+1

It saved me once, but I am glad it's gone. I wouldn't like to see any sounds for logging in.

Edited by DontGoToBalotaAlone
  • Like 4

The mod is not standalone. How does it get innocent people killed? If you are not an idiot and don't log out in stupid places it doesn't effect you EVER. If you like to server hop, ghost or just be an idiot it will effect you? Which category do you fall in?

The you need to calm down category.  :|

• Like 4

If you are not an idiot and don't log out in stupid places it doesn't effect you EVER. If you like to server hop, ghost or just be an idiot it will effect you?

The game is constantly evolving and there are plenty of non-idiotic log out choices that could get you starched.

For instance, I logged out deep in the woods in experimental in a very discrete location. Wasn't close to a town, nothing. Ace spot. When I logged in, I almost shit my pants when I ran for 5 seconds and saw 2 guys with a campfire about 50-100 meters from where I logged out/in. Both were armed with guns drawn and having a BBQ. I think they heard my feet so I introduced myself and hoped for the best.

I said I was friendly, they said they were friendly. Reiterating, they had their guns out. I asked them to put their guns away. I offered them deer steaks. One guy put his gun away, the other didn't. After a bit of dialogue, the guy who didn't put his Mosin away thought he was being slick and dipped behind a v-shaped birch tree and went ADS on my location. I proceeded to GTF outta there as quickly as possible zig-zagging the entire way out and parted with a few choice words.

Hunting, fishing, etc will put people out in the wild and it's going to make it that much harder to find a "safe" place to log out. If there was a login ammo noise, I'm pretty sure I would have been smoked.

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 4

With my fantastic 3G internet stick when the re-load sound was in I would sometimes hear it several seconds before I could see anything if move. Nay for that reason....at least until my 4 house street in n.z. gets broadband!

Good Riddance.

Pretty much this.

• Like 4

It was a bug.

I'd rather see an actual sound effect like a yawn added for logging in/out.  Something subtle so it's not a dead giveaway, but something noticeable if you're being attentive.

• Like 1

How can no one remember the horrors of the TSSSSH TSSSSH TSSSSSSSSSSH login noise with the magnum? Nope nope nope nope neop nerp n0pi do not want.

No.

It would have a big impact on people just logging in, and a tiny impact on people already playing

Yay! It's necessary to fight against ghosters.

He is not asking back for the cracking sound, just for the reloadsound or any soundnotification for that matter. 

It doesnt really matter if its any other sound or the reloading sound. Both serves the same purpose.

Edited by Khanarac
  • Like 2

The you need to calm down category.  :|

Wow, with that quality logic who am I to argue lol

Nay.

It was removed for good reason.

and that would be.... You guys are fucking on fire tonight lol