Grimey Rick

EDITED - PETITION: Should a sound be made when we log on and off?

285 members have voted

1. 1. Should a sound be made when logging on/off?

• Yay!
    • Nay!

To be honest... Even when there was a log in sound aka your gun reloading. Most people didnt even hear it or realise it. Because I always logged into a building and then check through the walls to see if anyone is upstairs and they never even realised I was below them.

I voted no. There are good reasons to have it but they can be solved in a much better way. Solving them with a log on/off sound is bad for normal gameplay.

Id like to see a huge pink beam shooting up to space when people log into servers.

• Like 2

Sound if loggin in/out at house!

Dont know is is that even possible, but in forest theres no need for sounds imo.

I prefer beam sound from star trek.

:lol:

Man....when you want to logout you are going to do it IN A SAFE PLACE! Because any guide on youtube will tell you that!

I've killed guys in military base were server hopping, and also in Pubs in town....right in the builiding they wanted for!

Results? They died!

And why? Because they are such idiots

And you? You deserve the same end!

Watch around surroundings bla bla bla...all excuses. A player moving onestly all around the same server and play well without glitch out must be rewarded. Not like those kids that move on an empty server where they want to and then they COUNTER SNIPE you in the building they desire 200m far away, or in your same building with different floor!

And with no sounds? Oh great.....let's go play Star Trek online then! Teleporting guys everywhere! You sucessfuly reach a building and camping on 4-5 each floor and bang! whats up? One spawned right on your building! And maibe even without moving he looks around with 0 cache and inform other guys how many there are inside!

Do you know that an Italian clan i know with over 15 members have SPOTTER ACCOUNT? The spotter account is steam account that have only DAYZ as game. The game has been payed by all members (1,50 euros each person) . This account is made to scan high populate territories and watch where people are camping and how many. Also server Hopping, to have a clear vision also through ZERO CHACE fresh game, to look around and count clearly how many are inside a building!

How do i know these things? One of my friend is in that clan.

Saying things like votes says that all, it doesn't mean that a thing isn't still umbalanced, because also those quite 40 votes are the dimonstration that still something wrong, it's not a mature thing to say.

And the words: "Oh yeah, and for server hopping, it does ruin the game. I enjoy gearing up and exploring more than anything in this game", says everything about you and many other people that represents along with the cheaters, how much easy it is to demolish a good game experience with a great potential.

Loser...

My god, calm down man. Clearly, there are two sides in this debate, both with their own arguments. Don't call people names, it doesn't help with the discussion that's taking place here. And why does the sentence "Oh yeah, and for server hopping, it does ruin the game. I enjoy gearing up and exploring more than anything else in this game" say anything about him (and other people) in relation to cheaters? Unless he's being sarcastic ofcourse. Furthermore, stop making assumptions about people, it's unnecesarry. There are more reasons to say nay other than being a 14 year old, a glitcher, a serverhopper etc. People have a right to state their opinion on the matter and you have a right to disagree, but you'll have to accept that. Stop making assumptions and the name calling.

FYI, I changed my nay into a yay. I too hate it when I clear a building (or I'm sure it's clear) with my buddies and some serverhopper spawns in and kills us. A yawn for example wouldn't be bad at all imho.

• Like 4

Man....when you want to logout you are going to do it IN A SAFE PLACE! Because any guide on youtube will tell you that!

I've killed guys in military base were server hopping, and also in Pubs in town....right in the builiding they wanted for!

Results? They died!

And why? Because they are such idiots

And you? You deserve the same end!

Watch around surroundings bla bla bla...all excuses. A player moving onestly all around the same server and play well without glitch out must be rewarded. Not like those kids that move on an empty server where they want to and then they COUNTER SNIPE you in the building they desire 200m far away, or in your same building with different floor!

And with no sounds? Oh great.....let's go play Star Trek online then! Teleporting guys everywhere! You sucessfuly reach a building and camping on 4-5 each floor and bang! whats up? One spawned right on your building! And maibe even without moving he looks around with 0 cache and inform other guys how many there are inside!

Do you know that an Italian clan i know with over 15 members have SPOTTER ACCOUNT? The spotter account is steam account that have only DAYZ as game. The game has been payed by all members (1,50 euros each person) . This account is made to scan high populate territories and watch where people are camping and how many. Also server Hopping, to have a clear vision also through ZERO CHACE fresh game, to look around and count clearly how many are inside a building!

How do i know these things? One of my friend is in that clan.

Saying things like votes says that all, it doesn't mean that a thing isn't still umbalanced, because also those quite 40 votes are the dimonstration that still something wrong, it's not a mature thing to say.

And the words: "Oh yeah, and for server hopping, it does ruin the game. I enjoy gearing up and exploring more than anything in this game", says everything about you and many other people that represents along with the cheaters, how much easy it is to demolish a good game experience with a great potential.

Loser...

Wow. Never seen so much random nonsense in a post before. Good job.
  • Like 1

Logging out sound? Naaa.... 

Logging in sound? It most certainly should be there, this was the best "ghosting" protection we had...  Should it be direction specific though?  Not at all...

• Like 1

My god, calm down man. Clearly, there are two sides in this debate, both with their own arguments. Don't call people names, it doesn't help with the discussion that's taking place here. And why does the sentence "Oh yeah, and for server hopping, it does ruin the game. I enjoy gearing up and exploring more than anything else in this game" say anything about him (and other people) in relation to cheaters? Unless he's being sarcastic ofcourse. Furthermore, stop making assumptions about people, it's unnecesarry. There are more reasons to say nay other than being a 14 year old, a glitcher, a serverhopper etc. People have a right to state their opinion on the matter and you have a right to disagree, but you'll have to accept that. Stop making assumptions and the name calling.

FYI, I changed my nay into a yay. I too hate it when I clear a building (or I'm sure it's clear) with my buddies and some serverhopper spawns in and kills us. A yawn for example wouldn't be bad at all imho.

agree with you last words

My character pops in game a minute before I even have visual or control. 100% no on broadcasting my arrival while the game is still loading for me...

My character pops in game a minute before I even have visual or control. 100% no on broadcasting my arrival while the game is still loading for me...

Stop playing DayZ on your Game Boy.

For you, it would make even more sense to log out in the woods. If what you say is true, why would you ever, ever log out anywhere even remotely close to where someone might be walking along?

• Like 2

I voted yes, but only when you are changing servers, if you log off and join to the same server again, the next day for example,  there must be no sound when logging in.

The sound could be something like Sci-Fi movies, changing dimensions sounds or something :P

For you, it would make even more sense to log out in the woods. If what you say is true, why would you ever, ever log out anywhere even remotely close to where someone might be walking along?

- I don't recall saying I log remotely close to where someone might he walking.

For you, it would make even more sense to log out in the woods. If what you say is true, why would you ever, ever log out anywhere even remotely close to where someone might be walking along?

- I don't recall saying I log remotely close to where someone might he walking.

So what's your issue with a sound when you log on, then? If you're in a safe spot away from any dangerous areas, no one will hear it anyway. This isn't a global sound, it's a subtle sound only heard within your vicinity, say the range of one side of a building to the other. It's strictly for preventing people from getting an unfair advantage over you in a defensive position, à la ghosting or logging in after you've cleared a building.

Edited by Grimey Rick

oh i like that, what happens when your "standard" server is full though? should i be forced to play a fresh spawn because of a full server?

Yes.

Yes.

care to explain your reasoning?

Sound if loggin in/out at house!

Dont know is is that even possible, but in forest theres no need for sounds imo.

I prefer beam sound from star trek.

:lol:

omg yes this please

i do agree however that it should be in building or city's only.

Edited by pycco

So, let me get this right... Even though I as well as others logout in a tree line/forest making sure we're not seen(which we have control over). You want us to now make a noise upon login, alerting players in the vicinity that someone is nearby?

From the get go this gives an advantage to the passer by hearing this noise and will instantly start looking for the source. I have a decent connection and still there is a few seconds where your character is a sitting duck loading in, more so with a gamey mechanic such as making a noise when logging in. There is no real safe place in the game to logout but I sure as shit make a conscious effort to find the safest spot I can not to be seen but there's nothing you can do about being heard. This is my issue with any noise.

I will say I've never been killed logging in but when the reload sound bug was in, I was always waiting to be killed logging in, it was a shitty bug and I'm glad they removed it.

If people want to camp buildings then they should be more aware of their surroundings or clear it and gtfo. I am not saying ghosting or sever hopping isn't a problem but there's got to be another fix rather than making a noise on login.

I am definitely not a ghosting, server hopping asshat but do have qualms with this noise upon login due to it giving anyone an advantage over the person logging in. To generalize people that are against the noise as ghosting, server hoppers is an asinine statement.

I still say Nay.

So, let me get this right... Even though I as well as others logout in a tree line/forest making sure we're not seen(which we have control over). You want us to now make a noise upon login, alerting players in the vicinity that someone is nearby?

From the get go this gives an advantage to the passer by hearing this noise and will instantly start looking for the source. I have a decent connection and still there is a few seconds where your character is a sitting duck loading in, more so with a gamey mechanic such as making a noise when logging in. There is no real safe place in the game to logout but I sure as shit make a conscious effort to find the safest spot I can not to be seen but there's nothing you can do about being heard. This is my issue with any noise.

I will say I've never been killed logging in but when the reload sound bug was in, I was always waiting to be killed logging in, it was a shitty bug and I'm glad they removed it.

If people want to camp buildings then they should be more aware of their surroundings or clear it and gtfo. I am not saying ghosting or sever hopping isn't a problem but there's got to be another fix rather than making a noise on login.

I am definitely not a ghosting, server hopping asshat but do have qualms with this noise upon login due to it giving anyone an advantage over the person logging in. To generalize people that are against the noise as ghosting, server hoppers is an asinine statement.

I still say Nay.

What I don't get is the few people like you voicing their experience with never having been killed upon logging on, but are dead against a subtle sound being made. If you survived the months of "SHK, SHK, SHK-SHK" then how is this going to affect you in a negative way?

Continue finding safe spots before logging out. The sound won't hinder you in any way, shape or form. The sound would only be used to alert people when someone logs on in the same building as them; hell, it needn't even be directional, simply a neutral sound letting you know someone just logged in around you and to be wary for potential incoming cheese.

If we're going to have countless threads pertaining to realism in guns, medical instruments and general survival, then surely to Christ the people starting said threads understand that someone magically appearing up/downstairs from you without the ability to scale walls and climb through windows falls under the category of unrealism?

Guy #1: Okay, here's the jail, let's sweep it and post here for a while to inventory our supplies.

Guy #2: Good idea. I'll check upstairs, you check the bottom level.

Guy #1: Okay, all clear.

Guy #2: Same here -- you watch the door as it's the only point of entry while I organize my bag.

Guy #1: Roger that.

Guy #3 silently logs on upstairs as Guy #1 watches the door and Guy #2 sorts his bag.

Guy #3: lol noobz

Guy #3 kills Guy #1 and Guy #2 from behind.

Guy #2: WHAT THE FUCK?! I THOUGHT YOU WERE WATCHING THE DOOR?!

Guy #3: yey i tuk a "caclualted risk" and now im fluly gear loll thx guise

Guy #1: ...

yYL7AAT.jpg

EDIT: Because formatting.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 7

You know what really breaks immersion? When you go to low pop servers to loot without risk and then whine when you get killed by someone trying to do the same thing.

This can happen anywhere. and does.

If the noise can be localized to only the immediate area (like a few meters only), maybe.  To deal with ghosting they just need to add stricter restrictions on leaving a server, moving to another and then quickly rejoining the first one.  In that case it is pretty clear what was going on and adding a few minutes to the wait timer wouldn't be out of line.

So what's your issue with a sound when you log on, then? If you're in a safe spot away from any dangerous areas, no one will hear it anyway. This isn't a global sound, it's a subtle sound only heard within your vicinity, say the range of one side of a building to the other. It's strictly for preventing people from getting an unfair advantage over you in a defensive position, à la ghosting or logging in after you've cleared a building.

Because when i log relatively close to a city (not in the middle of a building, but close enough to move into the city without crossing large spans of open field) I don't think my character should make a BEEP sound to inform any campers that my squad is near...

Also, unless you live up in your moms attic, people occasionally have to log out for a minute or two to answer a door, or tend to something IRL, and then come back to resume playing. There shouldn't be an alarm alerting any passer-bys when someone in logging back in from their trip to the restroom irl.

Your arguments FOR noise upon logging in is very pathetic

Edited by retti

What I don't get is the few people like you voicing their experience with never having been killed upon logging on, but are dead against a subtle sound being made. If you survived the months of "SHK, SHK, SHK-SHK" then how is this going to affect you in a negative way?

Continue finding safe spots before logging out. The sound won't hinder you in any way, shape or form. The sound would only be used to alert people when someone logs on in the same building as them; hell, it needn't even be directional, simply a neutral sound letting you know someone just logged in around you and to be wary for potential incoming cheese.

If we're going to have countless threads pertaining to realism in guns, medical instruments and general survival, then surely to Christ the people starting said threads understand that someone magically appearing up/downstairs from you without the ability to scale walls and climb through windows falls under the category of unrealism?

Guy #1: Okay, here's the jail, let's sweep it and post here for a while to inventory our supplies.

Guy #2: Good idea. I'll check upstairs, you check the bottom level.

Guy #1: Okay, all clear.

Guy #2: Same here -- you watch the door as it's the only point of entry while I organize my bag.

Guy #1: Roger that.

Guy #3 silently logs on upstairs as Guy #1 watches the door and Guy #2 sorts his bag.

Guy #3: lol noobz

Guy #3 kills Guy #1 and Guy #2 from behind.

Guy #2: WHAT THE FUCK?! I THOUGHT YOU WERE WATCHING THE DOOR?!

Guy #3: yey i tuk a "caclualted risk" and now im fluly gear loll thx guise

Guy #1: ...

EDIT: Because formatting.

Well, here's the thing... Any noise still gives a disadvantage to the person logging in no matter where they are(reasons already given). Even though I haven't been killed with or without the sound happening, at least now there is no chance that a random passer by is going to hear me logging in and pop me because they knew someone was nearby. A person logging in is easy pickings within that few seconds of login regardless or what anyone says.

Even IF it's just a few metres, that in of itself reduces the area of a search one has to find the person that's logging in, increasing the chance that person will be found and killed.

I didn't say anything about realism did I? I said it was a gamey mechanic that could probably be solved in another way, but it seems you just want to inject what you think I said into your response, then make half of it about the thing I never even talked about. Comprehension is the first thing about forum discussion and I use the word "discussion" extremely loosely here in this thread.

My answer is still Nay about noises upon login/logoff and it won't change for reasons stated multiple times. Fix ghosting/hopping another way, which I'm sure they will and are working on. Private hives is one answer but there are other solutions out there for the public hives I'm sure. Noises not being one of them.

They removed it for a reason and again, I'm glad it's gone.

Because when i log relatively close to a city (not in the middle of a building, but close enough to move into the city without crossing large spans of open field) I don't think my character should make a BEEP sound to inform any campers that my squad is near...

Also, unless you live up in your moms attic, people occasionally have to log out for a minute or two to answer a door, or tend to something IRL, and then come back to resume playing. There shouldn't be an alarm alerting any passer-bys when someone in logging back in from their trip to the restroom irl.

Your arguments FOR noise upon logging in is very pathetic

My "argument" for the implementation of the sounds that were, although erroneously, part of the game for the last six months is solid. It's too easy to cheese people without making a noise upon logging in. One aspect of the game is finding a safe place to log out as the next time you log on you might be lagging or have a zombie near you if you're not far enough from a town/city.

If you run thirty seconds outside of a city, find a random group of trees and log out, you'll never have an issue with being killed when logging on. I've got 1,112 hours logged now and have never been killed when logging on. I have, however, been killed by people magically appearing behind me in contested areas after I've cleared an area.

If your life is so busy (or your bladder so weak) that you have to log on and off every few minutes, then this game is not for you. This is the type of game you dedicate time to sitting down and playing, not an action RPG like Diablo III that you can hop on and off of without consequence.

An emergency, while a viable argument, is at the same time kind of silly as you can't design a game around random events in the players' lives. You can, however, design a game around reducing the amount of possible cheesy tactics (which is what it is, whether or not you agree).

Well, here's the thing... Any noise still gives a disadvantage to the person logging in no matter where they are(reasons already given). Even though I haven't been killed with or without the sound happening, at least now there is no chance that a random passer by is going to hear me logging in and pop me because they knew someone was nearby. A person logging in is easy pickings within that few seconds of login regardless or what anyone says.

Even IF it's just a few metres, that in of itself reduces the area of a search one has to find the person that's logging in, increasing the chance that person will be found and killed.

I didn't say anything about realism did I? I said it was a gamey mechanic that could probably be solved in another way, but it seems you just want to inject what you think I said into your response, then make half of it about the thing I never even talked about. Comprehension is the first thing about forum discussion and I use the word "discussion" extremely loosely here in this thread.

My answer is still Nay about noises upon login/logoff and it won't change for reasons stated multiple times. Fix ghosting/hopping another way, which I'm sure they will and are working on. Private hives is one answer but there are other solutions out there for the public hives I'm sure. Noises not being one of them.

They removed it for a reason and again, I'm glad it's gone.

What other way are they going to solve it then? I don't hear any suggestions from you, just a bunch of banter about how "game breaking" having a very brief, subtle sound play while logging on and off is. If anything, they should have just left it alone until they could implement a better way of accomplishing the same thing.

And for someone who's "never been killed while logging on", you seem to feel very strongly about an issue that wouldn't even affect you.

The original sound didn't harm legitimate players. Having a more appropriate sound reintroduced into the game won't hurt legitimate players either. The only people it will affect are those who are too lazy to find a safe place to log out, those who are attempting to cheese others, and server hoppers. Period.

• Like 3

Nah..
Think of it as practice for when you can actually jump thru windows.. People will be able to sneak into the building your in without using the doors.
Well I hope that will be here soon... otherwise it will just make you a more aware player. And puts a lot more suspense into the game.
Always Watch your 6 in DayZ!!!

What other way are they going to solve it then? I don't hear any suggestions from you, just a bunch of banter about how "game breaking" having a very brief, subtle sound play while logging on and off is. If anything, they should have just left it alone until they could implement a better way of accomplishing the same thing.

And for someone who's "never been killed while logging on", you seem to feel very strongly about an issue that wouldn't even affect you.

The original sound didn't harm legitimate players. Having a more appropriate sound reintroduced into the game won't hurt legitimate players either. The only people it will affect are those who are too lazy to find a safe place to log out, those who are attempting to cheese others, and server hoppers. Period.

By indirectly calling me a server hopping/ghosting douche is an obvious troll especially after I stated legitimate concerns, as well as not being one of said asshats.

But hey, I'll bite... How bout not being able to logout within a certain x distance to a building, town or city? Simple yet effective, yeah? Problem sorted. I'm sure there are other ways but it just seems that people all for the sound upon login don't want anything else because they're not coming up with anything either. Am I right?

By indirectly calling me a server hopping/ghosting douche is an obvious troll especially after I stated legitimate concerns, as well as not being one of said asshats.

...what? When did I call you that? For starters, I didn't even type "douche". I simply stated what the sound helped prevent during its six month tenure as part of the game. I've given multiple reasons for its inclusion in the game. You've given one, and not a very strong one.

"I don't want to get shot when I log on."

THEN DON'T LOG OUT IN CONTESTED AREAS.

If you've never been killed when logging on (due to smart choices on your part while logging out, thus supporting my point), why the hell would you be against its inclusion?! You've already figured out how to trump the sound. No area in this game is safe to log out, but some are exponentially safer than others. The sound effectively kills ghosting, server hopping and cheesy game play in one fell swoop.

But hey, I'll bite... How bout not being able to logout within a certain x distance to a building, town or city? Simple yet effective, yeah? Problem sorted. I'm sure there are other ways but it just seems that people all for the sound upon login don't want anything else because they're not coming up with anything either. Am I right?

That's technically what I've been saying all along: don't log out near a busy area. If that's how they wanted to combat the aforementioned problematic issues, I'd support that decision. It seems like a lot more hassle than just adding a simple yawn (or something of that nature) when someone logs on (which is 99% as effective), but if they could swing it I'd have no qualms.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 3