Grimey Rick

EDITED - PETITION: Should a sound be made when we log on and off?

285 members have voted

1. 1. Should a sound be made when logging on/off?

• Yay!
    • Nay!

Yes.  That's how it's always worked.

what, no this is why the "hive" was created. making a player not play with the character they have put hours in to is just silly especial because of a full server.

I think there are more important sound related issues, like the constant reload/zombie noise glitches. 

If there's a sound for logging in, it just needs to be a slight cough or something. 

To those that say they are ambushed, I play with a friend and I can hear his footsteps all around the building that we're in, so unless said person spawns and doesn't move, I don't 

understand how you wouldn't hear them...

As you say there are a lot of sound issues in the game a slight cough - reload or footsteps can be in the building or outside it you have no way of knowing. the sound needs to be related to the log in point  in a house it can be the sound of creaking floorboards or tables being bumped in industrial buildings it can be the sound of cans falling or being kicked over or glass being stepped on and out side it can be the sound of cracking sticks and rustling bushes so you do not need to go looking for every slight cough or reload sound.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        if the player is not paying attention you will still have the chance to sneak up behind him if he is paying attention then you get what you deserve when he kills you it cannot get fairer than that. if you do not like those odds then stop logging out in buildings - ghosting into buildings - or camping in them.         and instead of needing to reload your gun when you log in you can cock it to chamber a round that will give you the option to sneak and all of them together might stop some players from logging out in buildings - server hopping in buildings and ghosting 

Edited by Boxer23

As the title says.

This was a extremely necessary feature that let someone know if a server hopper or someone that got disconnected was logging in right behind you or in your immediate area.

Now that this is gone you have no way of knowing if someone just logged in 5 feet from you.

Taking that feature out was an extremely stupid move by the devs IMO.

I dont get how they didn't realize how important that sound was.

Please, bring it or something similar back.

I agree and I dont , if the sound is there , what are you gona do ?
Kill the person while logging in?
I think thats a reason why it was removed , but im not sure .
Being killed while joining is the worst thing ever , it happend to me while I was fully geared , and it sucks .

why don't you just be more aware of your surroundings... duh!

I've said it twice this morning - this makes three times now.

login/logout sounds are stupid.

I have NEVER played a game that made sounds that were audible to other players on login or logout. DayZ was the first in all my 20 odd years of gaming (could be that I just don't like FPS games all that much good thing DayZ is a survival sim).

Edited by Elle

Please, bring it or something similar back.

Please, search before posting.

Merged.

• Like 1

Would a simple, " XXXX has joined the server" in the status message suffice?  It tells everyone that someone has joined so everyone has time to check their surroundings.  Although with so many server hoppers I guess that would get annoying.

XXXX has joined the server

XXXX has joined the server etc....

• Like 1

Please, search before posting.

Merged.

I did. Nothing came up.

The search function isn't perfect.

I ALWAYS use it before posting.

Thanks for making sure though :)

why don't you just be more aware of your surroundings... duh!

I've said it twice this morning - this makes three times now.

login/logout sounds are stupid.

I have NEVER played a game that made sounds that were audible to other players on login or logout. DayZ was the first in all my 20 odd years of gaming (could be that I just don't like FPS games all that much good thing DayZ is a survival sim).

As the person above said .

Its also highly unrealistic 

Someone popping in to existence out of nowhere makes NO sense and is "highly unrealistic" too, so thats why people want it.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83
  • Like 1

Someone popping in to existence out of nowhere makes NO sense and is "highly unrealistic" too, so thats why people want it.

I find "zombie apocalypse" to be "highly unrealistic" too but I manage to have a good time anyway.

reality is highly over-rated.

I find "zombie apocalypse" to be "highly unrealistic" too but I manage to have a good time anyway.

reality is highly over-rated.

So whats your point?

So whats your point?

seriously???

the point is there are UNREALISTIC things in EVERY game. I happen to find that if my character is making a shit ton of noise when I log off or when I log on to be VERY unrealistic and after having much conversation with other gamers it seems it was a UNIQUE situation overall. thankfully it was just a bug that was found and killed and it was a very disturbing bug. if YOU want everyone to know when YOU are logging on or off why don't YOU just make the announcement in DC?

as for people popping in and out of existence in front of you..... welcome to the world of online video games.

I'm for sounds on logging in and out. Can be a foghorn for all I care.

seriously???

the point is there are UNREALISTIC things in EVERY game. I happen to find that if my character is making a shit ton of noise when I log off or when I log on to be VERY unrealistic and after having much conversation with other gamers it seems it was a UNIQUE situation overall. thankfully it was just a bug that was found and killed and it was a very disturbing bug. if YOU want everyone to know when YOU are logging on or off why don't YOU just make the announcement in DC?

as for people popping in and out of existence in front of you..... welcome to the world of online video games.

So on one hand you hate the idea of login/logout sounds because it's unrealistic but on the other had people teleporting in behind you or ghosting is fine because it's unrealistic. Right. Cheers for clearing that up.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 2

the devs need to make servers that use sounds and servers that do not use sounds.  let the players who ghost kill each other on there own servers with no sounds to warn players in the building you just had scotty beam you in to. they can pop in and out of existence like magic ninjas all day and not one complaint about it from all the other magic ninjas that will play on a server that has no login sound. and i think they removed the sound because it was glitched not that it was a glitch  i think they are fixing it or replacing it witch a new sound or sounds

Edited by Boxer23
  • Like 1

seriously???

"sigh"

I'm for sounds on logging in and out. Can be a foghorn for all I care.

So on one hand you hate the idea of login/logout sounds because it's unrealistic but on the other had people teleporting in behind you or ghosting is fine because it's unrealistic. Right. Cheers for clearing that up.

I don't hate the sounds because they are unrealistic, I hate the sounds because they give away your position while you are at your most vulnerable. I don't give 2 shits about realism, I play the game because its achingly pretty and surprisingly exhilarating. 

have you ever logged in behind someone? I have, once, it taught me to find a better place to log out. it has never happened again and I've got almost 1000 hours now. I have NEVER had anyone log in near me that I am aware of (even before they removed the sounds) and I have never been shot by someone just logging in. so if I am able to avoid other players by being smart about login/logout why can't the rest of you?

the problem is not finding a safe spot to log out it is stopping players from spawning in a building you just cleared or letting you know that scotty just beamed someone in to the building

Edited by Boxer23

the problem is not finding a safe spot to log out it is stopping players from spawning in a building you just cleared 

oh that will never happen, just like it doesn't in other games. get used to it and be aware that players can suddenly just pop into existence anywhere on the map whether you're there or not. 

Not opposed to the rust system where you spawn in laying down sleeping. Then after say about 30 seconds you wake up and can move.

r59NRbV.jpg

I don't hate the sounds because they are unrealistic, I hate the sounds because they give away your position while you are at your most vulnerable. I don't give 2 shits about realism, I play the game because its achingly pretty and surprisingly exhilarating. 

have you ever logged in behind someone? I have, once, it taught me to find a better place to log out. it has never happened again and I've got almost 1000 hours now. I have NEVER had anyone log in near me that I am aware of (even before they removed the sounds) and I have never been shot by someone just logging in. so if I am able to avoid other players by being smart about login/logout why can't the rest of you?

I've been killed a few times at the neaf because people logged in behind me. The first time was very early in the game and I didn't even get that the reloading sound was a thing. I thought it was a glitch. I've had groups spawn in too and I've been trapped upstairs. I've also had people pinned down in a house who have logged off, joined another server, ghosted behind me then rejoined and killed me.

The part I don't think you seem to get is that if you log out in the woods the chances of anyone hearing you log in or out are almost non-existent. 

I vote yes for sound of range ~200 meters.

Real life aside, it's a game and in real life people not materialize from thin air.

That's why the game need log on/off sound.

Edited by Frosti
  • Like 2

I vote yes for sound of range ~200 meters.

Real life aside, it's a game and in real life people not amterialize from thin air.

That's why the game need log on/off sound.

I think 200m is a bit excessive tbh. 50m tops imo. 

• Like 1

No to a specific log-in sound - but as soon as you start moving or adjusting your inventory in any way, you should make some noise that people in your immediate proximity can hear.

Perhaps you could reduce your noise-making by crouch-walking and/or removing your shoes.