Grimey Rick

EDITED - PETITION: Should a sound be made when we log on and off?

285 members have voted

1. 1. Should a sound be made when logging on/off?

• Yay!
    • Nay!

Not a valid reason, it would be better to just have things like doors/footsteps make proper sounds.

Bugs need to be resolved, not worked around them. Also not a valid reason.

Yet it isn't a proper solution, things like login timers are always better than having to ruin the immersion once ingame.

I can hear people from one end of a building to another. I think we make enough noise as it is; if anything, we should be able to move even more silently, as sneaking up on someone is currently impossible in a normal scenario. However, there's not much to be done if someone loads in right behind you without making a sound.

Wall glitching was just one more reason on top of the others to implement the sounds again. There's currently no foreseeable fix, so in the meantime, the sounds would be a viable alternative to nothing at all.

Login timers are all fine and dandy, but in any standoff that lasts more than seven minutes (which is generally most of them), you can easily ghost the other team or be ghosted yourself without any means of defense. If you happen to be looking the wrong way or on the wrong level of the guy who decides to ghost, you're fucked.

Edited by Grimey Rick

Why should the games balance be affected just because you only have 20 minutes to spare and don't have the foresight to log off in a secluded area.

And putting in a sound to let people know when someone else just logged in is balanced?

If you join a server for the first time in the beginning of the session the server saves the fact that you joined. then leave to go to a new server and if you return to the first server before the first server restarts then your guy makes sounds when you login to stop ghosting. after restart the server deletes the list and starts over 

• Like 1

And putting in a sound to let people know when someone else just logged in is balanced?

Certainly more than allowing ppl to spawn in buildings you cleared out and shoot you in the back while you are guarding the only door.

If you join a server for the first time in the beginning of the session the server saves the fact that you joined. then leave to go to a new server and if you return to the first server before the first server restarts then your guy makes sounds when you login to stop ghosting. after restart the server deletes the list and starts over 

I thought this is a general discussion about the future sense and nonsense of some thing to anounce logging in close to your location. As a short term solution, this is debatable for ghosting, but I at least hope that servers won't restart every 4 hours later on.

• Like 1

Yes.

as people have stated before having people drop in behind you or even in your vicinity when you have already previously cleared the area is downright bad.

this is one of the biggest reasons why I am a huge proponent of a Rust style sleep system and one character per server.

• Like 2

Just stop players being allowed to log out when inside a building....

1) Stops players unrealistically spawning in a building you have already cleared.

2) Stops server loot hopping high value buildings like barracks being easy to do.

3) Stops combat loggers who are held up in a building logging out.

See...we don't need sounds as a half-baked fix when it can be solved in a better way!

• Like 1

Just stop players being allowed to log out when inside a building....

1) Stops players unrealistically spawning in a building you have already cleared.

2) Stops server loot hopping high value buildings like barracks being easy to do.

3) Stops combat loggers who are held up in a building logging out.

See...we don't need sounds as a half-baked fix when it can be solved in a better way!

So how exatly do you want to handle ppl exiting the game? Not allowing "Exit" in buildings? What about server restarts? Ppl force killing the DayZ application? Interrupting their internet connection or simply ripping out their lan cable? And we are currently ignoring the fact that servers crash or restart, too. Something like increasing the log out timer for those is again unfair for ppl that were just unlucky there, got a ISP disconnect or something else. You cannot keep ppl from leaving the game while they are in buildings, period.

Half-baked fix is still the best suggestion I heard, your idea isn't baked a bit more. Every solution discussed here has downsides.

EDIT: Maybe statistics can be made for players, looking how often the logged out when bullets flew around their heads and compare that with their other logouts - actually something more soffisticated is needed, just an example. Then auto-warn those players and if the numbers get too high, block them for a day or something... . Probably also plenty of reasons against that again...

Edited by bautschi

So... why not just remove the option to log-out within buildings altogether? If someone is forced to log out due to technical problems, just have them spawn randomly in the general area. Hell, why not make all cities and military installations no-spawning zones period? This would solve all kinds of problems!

Edit: whoops, didn't read the latest posts before posting (I was on page 4 for some reason). My point still stands though.

Edited by DCpAradoX

Yes.

as people have stated before having people drop in behind you or even in your vicinity when you have already previously cleared the area is downright bad.

this is one of the biggest reasons why I am a huge proponent of a Rust style sleep system and one character per server.

I just want to point out that your argument is what? Balance? There is no balance for what you are saying. You are suggesting something that will ALWAYS give the person that is already in the game an advantage over the person that is logging in. How is that balanced? You talk like everyone that logs in in or near a building is trying to ghost or server hop.

As for everyone that is suggesting not being able to log out in a building, this is not an option. It would make barricading a building pointless and I'm pretty sure barricading will be the only base building DayZ SA will have for a while.

So how exatly do you want to handle ppl exiting the game? Not allowing "Exit" in buildings? What about server restarts?

Anyone force quitting or just unfortunate to disconnect random teleport them outside of the building walls when they log back in. It it still so much better than allowing players to log in inside a building you have already cleared. That's the biggest issue here since that leads to getting killed by bad game mechanics.

The difference in having a sound vs not allowing people to logout in whatever places is character choice.

Everyone knows when they login a sound is made, therefore, you take care in where you logout. However it's still your choice, if I want to logout in the middle of the street out front the police station in berezino I can.

Taking away player choice is a much more slippery slope. There should be no reason I can't logout inside a building if I want to. The only reason I shouldn't want to is fearing for the safety of my return on login.

It's been a year + since I played the mod but didn't it make a sound upon login?

• Like 5

I just want to point out that your argument is what? Balance? There is no balance for what you are saying. You are suggesting something that will ALWAYS give the person that is already in the game an advantage over the person that is logging in. How is that balanced? You talk like everyone that logs in in or near a building is trying to ghost or server hop.

As for everyone that is suggesting not being able to log out in a building, this is not an option. It would make barricading a building pointless and I'm pretty sure barricading will be the only base building DayZ SA will have for a while.

Logging is conscious act. Ppl can decide where/when they log out and when they join on a server with a specific player count. Someone that just cleared out an ATC can not choose if someone is logging in behind him. I really don't understand why I would even want to log out in a dangerous area with the logout penalty for your char to vanish. It should be in a player's best interest to move out of such an area before logging out. There was one time where a guy I played with convinced me to log in the little side pocket/garage thingy of the west prison at the neaf. Logging back in resulted in getting shot before I could get my weapon out. Logging is dangerous, always, even in the woods. But how many of you actually died after logging out at a secure location? Is it really such a burden to go to a secure spot that you would choose not to use logging in warning as a help agains ghosting? For me it was always a simple thing and:

I don't want my body to hang around for a party, I am obviously one of the few who actually want to survive and don't want to be shot before being able to react on a new server and I would feel like a prick if I got the drop on someone through logging. It also helps immersion in a way, if you want to bring that argument, because this is not Star Trek.

As for the second part, if the devs can't check if a player was inside a barricaded building and make an exception in that case, they should go back into dev bootcamp.

The difference in having a sound vs not allowing people to logout in whatever places is character choice.

Everyone knows when they login a sound is made, therefore, you take care in where you logout. However it's still your choice, if I want to logout in the middle of the street out front the police station in berezino I can.

Taking away player choice is a much more slippery slope. There should be no reason I can't logout inside a building if I want to. The only reason I shouldn't want to is fearing for the safety of my return on login.

It's been a year + since I played the mod but didn't it make a sound upon login?

Freedom of choice, but not intruding on the savety of other chars, like the argument.

So many people here acting like they're Rosa Parks being told to sit at the back of the bus, haha.

Adding a sound when you log on (which was already part of the game for the last five months and didn't hurt anything, even if it was a poor choice for a sound effect) or off only hurts you if you're not insuring the safety of your character. If you don't want to possibly be ambushed upon logging in, log off somewhere away from the mainstay of contested loot areas. Your character's well-being is in your hands by making such a choice, however, the well-being of the character being shot when you log on and pop him in the back when he's already cleared a certain area is completely out of his/her control.

Not being able to log out in a building isn't a viable solution. If a player wants to log out in a building knowing full well when they log back on they'll make a subtle, yet noticeable noise that's their choice. All I'm proposing is giving the players who are already logged into the game a little peace of mind. Just because someone is already logged in isn't a reason to put them at a disadvantage.

• Like 7

So many people here acting like they're Rosa Parks being told to sit at the back of the bus, haha.

Adding a sound when you log on (which was already part of the game for the last five months and didn't hurt anything, even if it was a poor choice for a sound effect) or off only hurts you if you're not insuring the safety of your character. If you don't want to possibly be ambushed upon logging in, log off somewhere away from the mainstay of contested loot areas. Your character's well-being is in your hands by making such a choice, however, the well-being of the character being shot when you log on and pop him in the back when he's already cleared a certain area is completely out of his/her control.

Not being able to log out in a building isn't a viable solution. If a player wants to log out in a building knowing full well when they log back on they'll make a subtle, yet noticeable noise that's their choice. All I'm proposing is giving the players who are already logged into the game a little peace of mind. Just because someone is already logged in isn't a reason to put them at a disadvantage.

Pretty much it was a bug that turned out to be a great gameplay addition.

• Like 2

Login sounds could be just simple as walking sound, foot steps could make a bit sense here?

Login sounds could be just simple as walking sound, foot steps could make a bit sense here?

No it has to be an unmistakeable sound that is far different from any ambient or player made sound so the player could instantly know a player is login in near him.

• Like 2

Just a random thought I had. What if your ammo was automatically ejected on logout, so you could choose when\if to play the reload sound after login. That would make you have to choose between stealth but unprepared, or nonstealth but prepared.

Full inventory could be a problem though.

Edited by kadude

Just a random thought I had. What if your ammo was automatically ejected on logout, so you could choose when\if to play the reload sound after login. That would make you have to choose between stealth but unprepared, or nonstealth but prepared.

Not a bad idea kind of fixes both issues, I like it. Not sure how hard that would be to implement.

Just a random thought I had. What if your ammo was automatically ejected on logout, so you could choose when\if to play the reload sound after login. That would make you have to choose between stealth but unprepared, or nonstealth but prepared.

Not a bad idea kind of fixes both issues, I like it. Not sure how hard that would be to implement.

the sound of reloading can be mistaken for a player outside the house leaving you with the same problem a player in the house after you cleared it 

No it has to be an unmistakeable sound that is far different from any ambient or player made sound so the player could instantly know a player is login in near him.

for in a house it can be the sound of creaking floorboards or tables being bumped  in industrial buildings it can be the sound of cans falling or being kicked over or glass being stepped on and out side it can be the sound of cracking sticks and rustling bushes and the sounds in buildings should not be heard well from outside and sounds outside should not be heard well from in buildings 

• Like 2

Its literally impossible to secure an area now, especially say, a Jailhouse, due to the threat of someone hopping in - armed.

Yay.

the sound of reloading can be mistaken for a player outside the house leaving you with the same problem a player in the house after you cleared it 

for in a house it can be the sound of creaking floorboards or tables being bumped  in industrial buildings it can be the sound of cans falling or being kicked over or glass being stepped on and out side it can be the sound of cracking sticks and rustling bushes and the sounds in buildings should not be heard well from outside and sounds outside should not be heard well from in buildings 

id rather have the reload choice of readyness or stealthyness vs nothing was all i was saying.

oh i like that, what happens when your "standard" server is full though? should i be forced to play a fresh spawn because of a full server?

Yes.  That's how it's always worked.