SmashT

Experimental Branch saw many changes in 0.44

Holy crap all of you are reading way too deeply into this thing about pigs and boars. Just leave it. Holy crap.

The game aims to be authentic... If it were authentic there would be no bald, domestic pigs added.. They would be wild boars/feral pigs. This isn't "reading too much into it", it's just giving a suggestion backed with facts/science. 

How would you feel if the Devs included a weapon called "M4A1" and it had the weapon model of an AK47? Not very authentic, right? Know how many people would throw a shit fit? A lot.

• Like 1

The pig looks cool... but that is not a pig you would find in the wild.

Sure after the fence is broken and the pigs got free.

But I read that it will be just 3 generations and they look like this

Edited by elLoCo
  • Like 1

Hello there, I am 10 credits away (and still going at it!) from a biology degree so maybe I'll be able to shine some light on this! Actually, the degree is not necessary, but here it goes anyway. The act of rooting causes the snout to flatten a bit causing the skull shape to transform to that of the boar in the same generation. It's not the pressure itself flattening it out, but the act triggers a change, like an infant suckling on a woman's boob can make it swell with milk. Also, domestic pigs have no tusks because they are cut off. I'm unaware of how the hair works, but I can only imagine it gets bristly as well. There was a wonderful documentary on pigs a while ago on animal planet I think it was. Also, the tusks won't regrow if removed (but sometimes they miss some roots and they regrow).

So after just one generation, you'll have skull, tusks, hair and all. But I am to understand it has only been a few weeks since the infection? This would require a few months, but not many.

Also, peccaries and pigs are related, ish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suina

Pigs and peccaries belong to the same sub-order, but not family. Does the lay word "related" require they be at least family level? I have no idea.

Edited by agouti
  • Like 1

Hello there, I am 10 credits away (and still going at it!) from a biology degree so maybe I'll be able to shine some light on this! Actually, the degree is not necessary, but here it goes anyway. The act of rooting causes the snout to flatten a bit causing the skull shape to transform to that of the boar in the same generation. It's not the pressure itself flattening it out, but the act triggers a change, like an infant suckling on a woman's boob can make it swell with milk. Also, domestic pigs have no tusks because they are cut off. I'm unaware of how the hair works, but I can only imagine it gets bristly as well. There was a wonderful documentary on pigs a while ago on animal planet I think it was. Also, the tusks won't regrow if removed (but sometimes they miss some roots and they regrow).

So after just one generation, you'll have skull, tusks, hair and all. But I am to understand it has only been a few weeks since the infection? This would require a few months, but not many.

Also, peccaries and pigs are related, ish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suina

Pigs and peccaries belong to the same sub-order, but not family. Does the lay word "related" require they be at least family level? I have no idea.

Good info.. The Peccaries are what we call "Javelinas" here in the SW United States.. they're different from Eurasian Wild Boars.

Being in different families, yes they are different. I'm just saying, the comment made earlier about them not being true swine is... to what end? Yes, they are not biologically a part of Suina, but they're close. 

Edited by agouti

Being in different families, yes they are different. I'm just saying, the comment made earlier about them not being true swine is... to what end? Yes, they are not biologically a part of Suina, but they're close. 

I understand. I wasn't contradicting anything you said. I was just saying that so people didn't misunderstand. :)

:|

Pigs, Boars, domesticated or not, in the end we'll have fresh bacon to top our tactical bacon! B)

Edit: hmmmm, bacon.....

(I know no matter what happens when this patch come out the first thing I do is find a complete tracksuit, and start dancing, like crazy... )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APnPH9u8-zs

Edited by Odin Lowe
  • Like 2

:|

Pigs, Boars, domesticated or not, in the end we'll have fresh bacon to top our tactical bacon! B)

Edit: hmmmm, bacon.....

(I know no matter what happens when this patch come out the first thing I do is find a complete tracksuit, and start dancing, like crazy... )

#there is no tracksuit top eva

I can't believe this discussion never made it off the topic of pigs.

I keep coming back hoping for more.

• Like 1

#there is no tracksuit top eva

Does "eva" means "ever"? If so, then no, not ever. In the next experimental patch we'll see a tracksuit top. Already officially announced. (on this very thread)

166xdfl.jpg

Get ready for some crazy Russian redneck parties!!  :lol:

Edited by Odin Lowe
  • Like 1

I can't believe this discussion never made it off the topic of pigs.

I keep coming back hoping for more.

Kinda like going to the strippers for love.

Can't wait for the hunting ! And the crossbow for sure ! Will you have to skin and gut the animal or just cook it when it's dead?

Can't wait for the hunting ! And the crossbow for sure ! Will you have to skin and gut the animal or just cook it when it's dead?

I believe it will basically be something like:

1. Shoot/slay animal

2. Crouch beside animal

3. Option to skin/butcher

4. Take edible/usable pieces of animal

• Like 1

Hi i would like to suggest the zombies get slowed down, its ridiculous, why would zombies run 5x faster because they're dead? and it's very lonely, it would be nice to bump into a few more zombies, albeit when they are a little bit slower. i know it's alpha and all, just the whole running for 5 hours before bumping into something is very boring, and also annoying when a 200 mph zombie just introduces itself through a wall or the floor.

• Like 2

Hi i would like to suggest the zombies get slowed down, its ridiculous, why would zombies run 5x faster because they're dead? and it's very lonely, it would be nice to bump into a few more zombies, albeit when they are a little bit slower. i know it's alpha and all, just the whole running for 5 hours before bumping into something is very boring, and also annoying when a 200 mph zombie just introduces itself through a wall or the floor.

Indeed. I would so like to play again after two months abstinence from the game, but at the moment the game is nothing but annoying due to the worst zombies the game has ever had, including DayZ Mod. I wish they'd just roll back to the old ones until they got them fixed.

They are much too fast, they all of a sudden appear from nowhere so you can't sneak in to a twon or building with any sort of control over the situation by estimating potential threats around you, they can be invisible or appear without making a sound until they punch you from behind...

And I can't believe they even haven't managed to fix the random sounds getting triggered. How hard can it be? Rocket had been talking about a massive team upgrade for the second time in the SA history, making promises after promises, but instead of crucial improvements we get NOTHING but a few eyecandy features and more diverse loot, i.e. features that are not ESSENTIAL.

Please fix the game! I miss it dearly!!

• Like 1

They are much too fast, they all of a sudden appear from nowhere so you can't sneak in to a town or building with any sort of control over the situation by estimating potential threats around you, they can be invisible or appear without making a sound until they punch you from behind...

In fairness since most of us know how to tackle them with melee to the head in first person they are manageable...

In fairness since most of us know how to tackle them with melee to the head in first person they are manageable...

They're manageable, yes, but they're still a monotonous chore.

I heard some guys implemented cars into the game. Don't know where else to ask, does anyone have a link?

I heard some guys implemented cars into the game. Don't know where else to ask, does anyone have a link?

Where did you heard and what did you heard?

If you saw this map with cars maybe it was Chernarus plus map imported in Arma III.

Anyway, cars have to be expected at the end of Q3 and in Q4, according to the roadmap, that might change.

Where did you heard and what did you heard?

If you saw this map with cars maybe it was Chernarus plus map imported in Arma III.

Anyway, cars have to be expected at the end of Q3 and in Q4, according to the roadmap, that might change.

It looked like DayZ SA, with the new AK. It was a russian site, I don't know I started watching a stream and the guy  closed the page after a few moments so I had no chance to see the URL.

But it was russian... and he said that some modders added cars to DayZ SA. ^^

• Like 1

It looked like DayZ SA, with the new AK. It was a russian site, I don't know I started watching a stream and the guy closed the page after a few moments so I had no chance to see the URL.

It's probly just the old mod files injected into a very early , very stolen version of standalone , that's what I've heard has been done .. My advice guy is dont go searching for something like that ... Even if you're crazy enough to take the time to get a hacked version of dayz it'd be old cars, old arma 2 collision(death Rocks and bridges) , and most likely a lot of weird bugs -and glitches , not to mention the viruses along with it if you're going through a Russian site haha ...

If you can be patient i say just wait for standalone to legitamitely get cars in the game , it will be much more qualitative and legal :) .

Edited by Grapefruit kush
  • Like 1

just the whole running for 5 hours before bumping into something is very boring,

Join a server with one or two free player slots. 

Problem solved.

It looked like DayZ SA, with the new AK. It was a russian site, I don't know I started watching a stream and the guy  closed the page after a few moments so I had no chance to see the URL.

lol, well someone has got to, since the devlopers at their snails pace arent adding sweet F A. Roll on when they release it and the modders can get their hands fully on to it i say. We will actually get a good game then.