poooz

What has the standalone become ?

The decisions are made by players lol, you cant blame the game, its not forcing you to KOS.

The decisions are made by the players, yes, but the current lack of any sort of consequence to KOS is why they do it. You can take people from any walk of life, put them into a game like DayZ, and most of them will KOS. It's fun, it's somewhat of a stress relief (shoot some random instead of your boss, wife, etc.), and there's no penalty besides a few ruined pieces of gear on the guy you just blasted.

No hackers seen, ever

Add me on Steam if you want to see some. We'll venture into a few full servers tonight, and head to Elektro!

Grimey Rick

(;

• Like 2

The decisions are made by players lol, you cant blame the game, its not forcing you to KOS.

The game isn't forcing anyone to KoS but it also doesn't hinder the practice. If people are given the opportunity to grief then they will. If the fact that an overwhelming majority of users kill-on-sight is an unwanted component of DayZ then game mechanics need to be added to combat this. The game IS to blame unless this is intended behavior.

Edited by scriptfactory

The game isn't forcing anyone to KoS but it also doesn't hinder the practice. If people are given the opportunity to grief then they will. If the fact that an overwhelming majority of users kill-on-sight is an unwanted component of DayZ then game mechanics need to be added to combat this. The game IS to blame unless this is intended behavior.

its a sandbox, why should it hinder anything? You have the freedom to do anything.

Edited by So Sexy
  • Like 1

its a sandbox, why should it hinder anything? You have the freedom to do anything.

That's a broad statement. All we really have the freedom to do is to decide whether or not we want to shoot people in the face as soon as we see them, torture them, let them go, or become their friend/ally. Human nature is generally jealous, vengeful, cowardly and greedy. That's the real reason KOS exists. Like a guy above me said, if there's no game mechanic to combat these human traits, putting us all into a game where we have complete freedom to blast whomever we like must be intended game mechanics.

#GriefZ

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 1

In that case the devs should state that KoS is an intended feature and consequence of the game design and put the whole KoS debate to rest. All of my friends that have purchased this game and have played less than 10 hours due to the rampant KoS can move on to another multiplayer experience that offers the possibility to have some sort of social interaction apart from shooting guns at other people.

p.s. DayZ is not a "true" sandbox game ala Minecraft or Garry's Mod. DayZ is a survival game based on a sandbox environment. The gameplay and game mechanics are tailored towards fulfilling a specific experience; in this case "survival". No matter what anyone says, the KoS mentality exhibited by the majority of the DayZ community is not conducive to a true survival experience. But maybe it is perfect for the survival experience that is DayZ...

That's a broad statement. All we really have the freedom to do is to decide whether or not we want to shoot people in the face as soon as we see them, torture them, let them go, or become their friend/ally. Human nature is generally jealous, vengeful, cowardly and greedy. That's the real reason KOS exists. Like a guy above me said, if there's no game mechanic to combat these human traits, putting us all into a game where we have complete freedom to blast whomever we like must be intended game mechanics.

#GriefZ

I'm a great example. I've got a box of 240 some rounds of 5.56 and the best M4 I can make and my destination is Svetlo and then from there Elektro. It's gonna be a firefight. I suppose it's a step in the right direction though, it'll be the first time I've geared up with a set goal in SA.

In the mod I was the friendliest neutral trader in the world, now look at me :(

As of now the only reason I don't eat rotten food is because it makes me sick. Instead, I eat fresh foods like tuna, apples, and tactical bacon to keep myself healthy. If killing people had a negative emotional impact on your character, killing on sight would decrease a lot. In the same way, the game would reward you if you helped people.

Edited by Zalvager

#GriefZ

I thought this was meant to be a realistic game...But whatever, its a matter of preferences.

im a big Frankie fan but that video just looks like the guy was lagging slightly, Frankie cried because he got his arse kicked (for once!) Its called Desync and freaking lag

• Like 2

im a big Frankie fan but that video just looks like the guy was lagging slightly, Frankie cried because he got his arse kicked (for once!) Its called Desync and freaking lag

Have you ever heard of the concept of "cognitive dissonance"? It is definitely not d-sync and lag. -_-

Since we are trying to get into the competitive gaming scene we decided to say "fuck cheaters and possibly some valid users" to make sure that the game experience is good for the majority.

So you ban players for being too good and that is how you're trying to get into the competitive gaming scene? 

LOLWUT?

As of now the only reason I don't eat rotten food is because it makes me sick. Instead, I eat fresh foods like tuna, apples, and tactical bacon to keep myself healthy. If killing people had a negative emotional impact on your character, killing on sight would decrease a lot. In the same way, the game would reward you if you helped people.

So you want to punish people for playing one way because you don't like it? Then you want to reward people for playing how you want to because that's how you play?

Go find a different game please. This one clearly isn't for you.

My favorite part was how the guy hadn't even moved an inch for the past like 8 seconds when Frankie got shot (while corner camping) by him and would have died if the guy was using hacks or not.

Edited by Weedz

So you ban players for being too good and that is how you're trying to get into the competitive gaming scene? 

LOLWUT?

No, we get some false positives from our anti-cheat engine because it is so strict. Any process that manipulates the game memory in any way causes the client to exit.

So you want to punish people for playing one way because you don't like it? Then you want to reward people for playing how you want to because that's how you play?

Go find a different game please. This one clearly isn't for you.

That's not what I said though... I said it is the most effective way of combating KOS. Anyway the game is obviously aiming for realism, so implementing a solid emotion-system wouldn't be half bad.

That's not what I said though... I said it is the most effective way of combating KOS. Anyway the game is obviously aiming for realism, so implementing a solid emotion-system wouldn't be half bad.

I agree. But many DayZ players don't want to hear that. Hopefully there is actually a game designer at BI that will realize this and turn the current deathmatch shooter into an actual survival game. I love PvP but I also want to be able to experience survival at some point.

Worst idea ever.

I don't want DayZ to tell me what to feel. I feel things for real during my play, I don't want it to pop up saying "You feel guilty" or "You are unhappy" or "You feel ennui". 

I don't want DayZ to even come close to trying to "simulate" emotions

• Like 1

Worst idea ever.

I don't want DayZ to tell me what to feel. I feel things for real during my play, I don't want it to pop up saying "You feel guilty" or "You are unhappy" or "You feel ennui". 

Then don't shoot people without a good reason. Emotions should probably be conveyed through body language, L.A Noire style. That would be pretty neat. 

Edited by Zalvager

Emotion itself is primarily a physiological experience created by chemicals in your body. Hormones and other neurotransmitters are responsible for the majority of your mental state at any given time. If DayZ thinks it can simulate health in a sandbox environment then simulating mental health is just one step closer to the "realistic" game everyone goes on about. In real life you don't murder shitloads of people and just carry on like nothing is wrong.

Then don't shoot people without a good reason. Emotions should probably be conveyed through body language, L.A Noire style. That would be pretty neat. 

I don't. When I do I feel real guilt and doubt etc. Why simulate it?

Emotion itself is primarily a physiological experience created by chemicals in your body. Hormones and other neurotransmitters are responsible for the majority of your mental state at any given time. If DayZ thinks it can simulate health in a sandbox environment then simulating mental health is just one step closer to the "realistic" game everyone goes on about. In real life you don't murder shitloads of people and just carry on like nothing is wrong.

No need to explain what an emotion is. DayZ is not real life, nor is it a simulation, it tries to create an authentic experience that balances fun with aspects of realism (to paraphrase Rocket). Some things such as simulating emotions are too far and will ruin the fun of the game. Also how the fuck do you do it effectively?

I feel actual emotions during my gameplay. I do not want my character to simulate emotions that I am not really feeling.

"You are feeling guilty" Fuck off no I'm not...

Edited by DoctorBadSign

I don't. When I do I feel real guilt and doubt etc. Why simulate it?

Good. I'm not saying that emotions should work like something ala hunger or thrist. They would be a lot more complicated if Bohemia implemented them (I hope).

Edited by Zalvager

KoS gets balanced with greater environmental threats. (...) Zeds, hunting, and all the other survival elements yet to be implemented will take care of that...

Man, I really do HOPE you're right. Without doubt, DayZ offers you the best experience when it comes to firefights in a first-person-scenario. IMO it's the most realistic FPS out there.

Anyway, I don't ... play it as such. It's a zombie-survival-game. I'd rather walk for 30 minutes to combat-rescue an injured buddy @ the NW-airfield than camp it with a mosin. I'd rather try to sneak past Zeds at moonlight, than claim to be "friendly" and empty my m4-clip the next second. I'd rather give away my last bandage to a fresh spawn, than set up for him...

I understand PVP is an important part of DayZ and always will be. Still, it could be so much more than a thrilling combat sim.

• Like 4

Wait what about him shooting them through walls when all the doors were closed, was that lag as well.

• Like 1