poooz

What has the standalone become ?

Bandits/KoSers/PKers/Griefers, whatever you want to call them, provide the only real sense of danger in the game.

You may hate them but they serve a purpose, someone has to role play the bad guy in an open world game

Bandits/KoSers/PKers/Griefers, whatever you want to call them, provide the only real sense of danger in the game.

You may hate them but they serve a purpose, someone has to role play the bad guy in an open world game

I don't think anyone in this thread wants the human threat to be removed. No one hates KoSers... but I feel many would appreciate an in-game experience that didn't revolve around KoSing and griefing like in Mod.

For the game and KOS rampage:

After Zombies will be increased in numbers in each town and their path-finding gets improvement, there will be huge difference in KOS numbers as you'll need a friend to loot or survive.

Also after they implement vehicles and base building /tents and such , you'll be looking for groups to gather vehicle parts faster or to increase your own security at your base.

All of these will promote "team-play" and reduce KOS.

Edited by =1PARA=Prime=C.O=
  • Like 1

Whoa. Where did Dean say that?

he said it in an interview with pc gamer if i remember correctly. 

The problem from day one was allowing us to buy this game in pre Alpha/Alpha stage. Some folks just cannot handle the aspects of gameplay that is currently in place and cannot wait patiently enough for it to get to where the devs want to take it to.I firmly believe as others,who did play the mod,that it will become something other than what it is at the moment.The mod was much of the same way too.It evolved from the beginning of what we experienced into newer updates and ideas of gameplay within the original. Others created different versions of the mod that involved the way the folks could interact with the environment(s)/Maps,other players and, even what gear you started off with.The downside was that hacker/cheats finally took over almost every aspect of (all versions of) the game unless you had a private server to keep out the Ne'er do wells.Many things are to come of this game of survival and I, for one,look forward to seeing how it develops and learn to survive no matter what they throw at me.(Minus the hackers & cheaters of course...)

Edited by AdmiralBull
  • Like 1

Explain how you'd do 1 & 2.

1. Vehicles, rare items, bases to name a few.

2. Stats, perhaps some cool appearance type things, and learned skills that develop over time

I don't even like that idea. They were just ideas for an emotion-based system.

Item persistence will already be possible. This will, in my opinion, lead to an increase in KoS as character life will be de-valued even further.

1. More stuff to do in-game will not reduce KoS. There will still be a significant portion of the community that are dedicated to griefing.
  2. This will also not decrease KoS. In fact, it may increase it due to the increased sense of disappointment and sadness at losing character progress. Permadeath is both a blessing and a curse in this regard.
  3. Better PvE challenges may slightly decrease KoS but it will never lead to an extensive decrease in the griefing mentality of players or the inability for players to trust each other.

In my opinion there are only two ways of reducing KoS to manageable levels:

1. Add challenges that require a group to surmount (e.g. premium loot requires a team).
  2. Add the ability to trust other players (e.g. a party system.) Totally "unrealistic" but totally necessary to dissuade the "friendly, friendly, shoot" behavior.

Adding both of these would be optimal. KoS would decrease but not disappear. Gameplay would become team oriented. Groups of randoms could team up to take on groups of clans. Instead of immediately shooting on sight people would determine if a random was possibly an asset or a hindrance.

Okay can you think of an emotion based system that would be good? Cause I can't.

More stuff to do in game will reduce KoS because a lot of people don't have anything better to do at the moment. Once you have a gun and get geared up you have very few options for what to do. Most decide they might as well use up their ammo on other players.

If you spent ages developing some skills on your character that will be wiped on their death, would you want to risk it in unnecessary or unprovoked PvP? If this was implemented you would not eliminate KoS but a lot of people that engage in it now out of boredom might think twice.

Nothing will ever end griefing, but I would posit that an emotion system is the worst solution because it will change nothing. My suggestions, which are planned will have some impact I'm certain.

its a sandbox, why should it hinder anything? You have the freedom to do anything.

And in other topics you bash people who want to add more features to this game. As you state, you have freedom to do anything, why do you bash people who want pooping/surrender flags then??

Would you like to expand on that ?

I would..I feel Day Z community is tearing the game apart, and the developers are partly to blame

They have not given us much in the way of team-friendly play, or items. But they have given us much in the way of PVP- combat, items. Nearly everything added to the game regulary is focused on guns and ammunition, and only fuels the PVP Deathmatch you have going on.

The alpha warning is apparant, and you don't have to remind me about the game still been in active development. However from what we have seen so far, it isn't good and seems as if the game is been designed to be a PVP Deathmatch and less of the co-op survival game I had hoped for.

There are guns everywhere from military bases , airfields where we would expect down to houses and sheds, everywhere has guns or ammo. You will typically find one in the first town. Melee is clunky and not responsive. The zombies AI is terrible. I could go on. Basically I would have at least expected zombies to not be running through walls at this stage.

I have wrote other posts about how to improve the game drastically even using the current updates and tech. What pisses me off is they can change the zombie melee damage to only die from headshot but they cant try anything else? These zombies are supposed to be a temporary experiment, and they have left them broken for over a month...Why can';t you do a different zombie style every week or every update at least! for example lower their speed about 20% because their run animation is slower than the ground they run over (gives a treadmill effect)... or make them more powerful and slower..or fix the damn pathfinding...My character cant walk through a wall..so why can a zombie/??

- random events- heli crash, submarines loot, zombie hordes

-Zombies a threat- zombies should equal the village they spawn sized accordingly- 2 or 3 zombies spawn per every house not 1 or 2 for the whole village

-Most less fatal weaponary to reduce killing on sight- see stun guns, tazers, Bladed weapons, melee weapons improving (instead of Guns and lethal ammo)

-Team work enabled movements- see, giving someone a leg up onto a high ledge/roof

-carrying someone with a broken leg at walking speed rather than them crawling

-dragging someone who is unconscious

-cpr and chest compressions

(and thats just off the top of my head)

-Extra annoying is the developers not even bothering to keep the forums up to date,,, Updates are released with no patch notes...Developers use REDDIT instead of their official forum...

the list goes on.

It takes about 20 mins to tool up to a *reasonable* standard right?

I've said this before if you go round killing people (newspawns) because your a douche then for each min someone is under 30 mins since last respawn then you get 3 mins added to your wait when you eventually die before you can respawn....

So if your a total douche and spend all day killing new spawns essentially ruining the game in an act of vandalism then when you eventually die you could be spending hours or even days thinking about what you've done before your allowed to rejoin :-)

It takes about 20 mins to tool up to a *reasonable* standard right?

I've said this before if you go round killing people (newspawns) because your a douche then for each min someone is under 30 mins since last respawn then you get 3 mins added to your wait when you eventually die before you can respawn....

So if your a total douche and spend all day killing new spawns essentially ruining the game in an act of vandalism then when you eventually die you could be spending hours or even days thinking about what you've done before your allowed to rejoin :-)

Cue packs of griefing noobs provoking players into killing them...

your armed and unarmed noob tries to force you to do anything????? break a leg and run away

your armed and unarmed noob tries to force you to do anything????? break a leg and run away

Which part of "packs of griefing noobs" was unclear?  Good luck with shooting a leg while 5 of them are whaling the snot out of you with their new uberfist powers.

One of the worst things they added was giving you the ability to punch players, even if it will stay you shouldn't be able to kill somebody in 1-2 hits. 

Dean did warn us. We did get early access. Got around 500 hours playtime now. I'm also impatient about the slow updates ,but what can you do? Complaining sure won't help. Two million players are playing an early alpha. Some of them are propably not used to the harsh nature of games like these. I have killed more than I have died. That is currently my "end game". Doesnt matter if you have a gun or not. Your just more of a threat with a gun. I don't camp the coast though. I camp the inland villages close to the coast.

but what can you do? Complaining sure won't help. Two million players are playing an early alpha.

Giving honest constructive feedback is actually GOING TO help . They look at our opinions and form judgements based on many players assessments.

Looking at the majority of feedback in this thread (you call it 'complaining') I would say that not only has it been most constructive, and useful feedback from players with many hours

we have also come up with more suggestions and solutions to KOS and other issues than the developers have in months. Reading through this thread and putting into practise the ideas selectively would fix many of the problems in Standalone.

So no, Complaining will help, Constructive critism is how we improve upon products, and an alpha game is designed to allow people to help to shape and inspire the design choices taken in future.

• Like 1

I guess i just notice the whiners more than those who give constructive criticism. Whiners are those people who say development is going to slow for example.

Its propably going as fast as it can. They have hired more people and i`d bet that the next few updates will bring a lot of candy for us.

I watched every single piece of video that came out before the alpha was released.

Got extremely hyped ,but also knew what to expect. To be honest ,i haven`t had as many problems in the standalone as i`ve had in Arma 3.

Guess im lucky.

Most off the bugs and glitches i have a gripe with has already been mentioned and reported.

Got some flashing textures on buildings ,trees etc sometimes. Not sure what`s causing that.

My biggest complaint is the FPS drops in cities ,but that will propably take some time to fix.

Edited by SteenRNS
  • Like 1

Sometimes, freedom of speech is so annoying. I mean, what the hell is this thread. The game CLEARLY says Alpha and unfinished product. And yet people complain about something they agreed to? Oh come on guys, you wanted the game so badly, almost everyone of you was like "GIVE ME THE GAME, I DONT CARE ABOUT BUGS! I WANT TO PLAY IT NAAAAOOOW!!!!1111oneoneone" and then they release the game, tell everyone to NOT buy the game because it is not even remotely finished, you actually were reading this when buying the game (or you just don't give a f*ck, in which case it's your fault) and now you are like "DUDE, THIS GAME SUCKS! IT'S NOT NEARLY FINISHED MAN AND EVERYTHIGN IS BUGGY!".

Holy sh*t, some people need attention I guess. Go whine somewhere else, what is this, kindergarden?

Even if you think "Oh, but I bought the game, I expected the game to work by now, it's not my fault it takes so long", well, still your fault, because you could've bought the game LATER, when it is actually WORKING.

Gamers are so annoying these days.

• Like 3

*snip*

you speak right out of my heart...

have some beans

the majority play those roles because there are no consequences. It's tough to play a hero or an "actual bandit", but saying your are a bandit and killing people because that's what bandits do takes no effort.

Edited by Thaeggan

DayZ hasn't become anything yet because it's not even close to complete.  Come back and rewrite this thread once we're in beta. 

What has a game in alpha become?

This forum never fails to amaze me.

I know right?  It's like a construction company starting a project and they just dig the hole in the ground and the people who bought the building start raging about how it doesn't look like what they bought.

• Like 4