SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

Hang in there Mikey.  I know you share the love as much as any of us.  Zeds were temporarily reduced while they sorted out why they wrecked server performance.  They'll be back.  Also, loot is moving towards the new and shiny Central Loot Economy and bugs are definitely not sorted as of yet.   It can suck on some servers where either the provider is slacking or the admins.

There are some solid server out there but yes, they're tricky to find considering the above parties.

As for people shouting "alpha", well, people get conditioned and the easiest path is always the most traveled.  I'm sure you know that but I couldn't help but repeat it considering the situations. ;)  I recommend following DayZ in steam so the Status Reports get shot your way via the activity tab.  It'll save you some startling revelations when you log back in next time.

Shit, you know it's real when Voodoo gets a shock.

• Like 4

Sorry brother, you'll notice that in your absence the forums is largely a place for fan-boys to froth at the mouth towards anyone disappointed with development. Its a bit of a positive input echo chamber where terms like "alpha" and "i understand" resonate through it's long gray halls. So that being said i assume this thread will be locked like all the others. And for what its worth if you want to keep your sanity and stay interested in the project at the same time you just need to accept thats not where we thought it would be. Which for whatever reason is our reality. But they are working hard on it and new cool shit is coming. Thats all i can say. 

Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. – Plato

I like you man but don't call me a fan-boy. I'm not. I've been banned from here, steam and had posts hidden on reddit because I was complaining. Also don't pretend you weren't talking about my post(given that it's the only one in this thread could be characterised that way) because we both know you were. Don't try make me your strawman. I thought you were better than that but maybe I was wrong.

Apology accepted.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 1

Cheers mate. Thanks for the update.

The daughter is 2, the house is done and new job settled and more importantly the new p.c. is done and paid for (hence the return)

Ill be around like I was before to reaquaint myself.

• Like 2

Cheers mate. Thanks for the update.

The daughter is 2, the house is done and new job settled and more importantly the new p.c. is done and paid for (hence the return)

Ill be around like I was before to reaquaint myself.

Your kid is still in alpha man.  Expect issues!!!  Read the user agreement you nub!

• Like 5

Your kid is still in alpha man.  Expect issues!!!  Read the user agreement you nub!

Have to say, that's a great post.

And I'm out! Enjoy!

• Like 1

I like you man but don't call me a fan-boy. I'm not. I've been banned from here, steam and had posts hidden on reddit because I was complaining. Also don't pretend you weren't talking about my post(given that it's the only one in this thread could be characterised that way) because we both know you were. Don't try make me your strawman. I thought you were better than that but maybe I was wrong.

Apology accepted.

;)

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 1

I died when I read this..  :D

• Like 2

Sorry brother, you'll notice that in your absence the forums is largely a place for fan-boys to froth at the mouth towards anyone disappointed with development. Its a bit of a positive input echo chamber where terms like "alpha" and "i understand" resonate through it's long gray halls. 

If having the opinion that people should do some research before coming in and shitting all over everything makes me a fanboy- then please just call me MISTER Fanboy.

Anyone who spent more than 10 minutes looking into the state of things in .58 would see where we came from and where we're going. Instead, they spend 10 minutes writing some BS post that we need to wade through among all the other BS posts that try to justify them.

What the hell is going on? No zeds?

After all this time i was expecting a whole new experience. Only to be let down worse than when rocket was doing the deed.

Im going to read why this promising game has become a money maker with less in that the mod.

You know me but wth is happening over at Bohemia? Did they hire Sergey Titov? Or is apache25 back? Come to think about it wheres Fraggle?

This post reminds me of that documentary i saw once called Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.... this new world is so strange to me, i get so, confused...

But yeah welcome back and forgive the harshness but we get a bunch of these "back wtf happened??" type posts. I think what added to it was that you admitted you didnt bother reading up on dev prior to your post. Had you come out prepared with "just got back and wow what a difference a year makes (or doesnt) and posted what was different and how you like (or dont like) the changes or path they are on, you mightve gotten a warmer reception.

But as you well know, this is the internet and you cant please everyone :)

For me it always seemed that Zombies/Infected (and the lore around the outbreak) sadly never have been an important part of DayZ and its development. It always felt more they are doing them just because they have to because a lot of players being huge Zombie genre fans.

Rocket stated that he used zombies just  because he needed some easy to create background for an apocalyptic scenario and survival simulation and I also remember Brian Hicks saying that Zombies will never be a real big  thing or threat in DayZ since he thinks the game is more or even all about player interaction.

Hear the devs talk about all the cool stuff they are doing...basebuilding...vehicles...electric grid system...etc etc etc (fantastic job no question) but did we ever hear them talk that enthusiastic and detailed about zombies and their plans for them during the last 3 years ?

Refusing to create or even think about any lore about the outbreak is another indicator for me...and yes I know they are saying the reason for this is that they want it to be as much sandbox as possible....

The devteam has made an amazing job so far and I am absolutely sure they will continiue to do so, but regarding zombies it is more than understandable that people getting worried sometimes, especially if they have been around here since the early days.....

just my two cents

If having the opinion that people should do some research before coming in and shitting all over everything makes me a fanboy- then please just call me MISTER Fanboy.

Anyone who spent more than 10 minutes looking into the state of things in .58 would see where we came from and where we're going. Instead, they spend 10 minutes writing some BS post that we need to wade through among all the other BS posts that try to justify them.

I only use the language as it given to me, I'm sorry :(.

fanboyism:

The collective outlook and behavior of a group of people concerning a subject (movies, games, hardware, comic book characters, etc.) which when challenged results in an antagonistic, passionate, and unreasoned response.

And I didn't call anyone specific a fanboy. If you wanted to attack the OP and i had previously in the thread warned him he would be attacked there isn't much i can do if you want to internalize my remarks. If you are real broke up about it come to Lloyd and I'll buy you a beer at Montanas. We can talk about our real problems, Dang Oil Crash. And no Molsen Canadian please I drank a river dry of that shit when I worked on the rigs.
Edited by B@ker
  • Like 1

I know it's been a long time since this topic was started but I almost think it would be interesting to see at least some servers where there were slow moving zombies in hoards in the cities.  Then placing high or rare loot spawns in the cities making you have to risk the large hoards to get to them.  Less dangerous out in the open but in the city where you can be cornered more easily they would be deadly.  Just a thought, I also have no idea all the work that goes into writing the scripts for the AI either so if that is far too difficult I apologize.

Welcome back.

We are on the verge of new EVERYTHING.

Please read the status reports.

This is your only answer. 

@ OP: I would say that 0.58 (the current stable patch) has had some of the most important updates in a while.

The new CLE system is still in early iterations, but being able to adjust the frequencies of certain loot spawning on the fly circumvents the need for a big patch, meaning devs can fine-tune the loot distribution for desired player progression.

Devs have talked about adding hoards of zeds, but due to performance issues, there's no sign of infected AI across the map. We had zeds in 0.58 EXP for a while, just not to the extent the dev team is shooting for, quantity wise.

3 new vehicles should be on the way in 0.59, and with vehicles requiring additional parts, should make for a pretty interesting patch.

Even persistence is assumed ON, and issues with large camps and the despawning of items are being addressed in 0.59 EXP (coming soon...); another sign of the new CLE.

Regardless of certain issues (i.e. lack of zeds), the development of this game is making great strides towards the perfect survival game. The latest status reports have the answers to all of your questions (which have been asked a million times in a million different places). 

Welcome back, it's a great time to be a survivor.

• Like 1

-well worded defense of dayz-

RiJHn.gif

Edited by B@ker

For me it always seemed that Zombies/Infected (and the lore around the outbreak) sadly never have been an important part of DayZ and its development. It always felt more they are doing them just because they have to because a lot of players being huge Zombie genre fans.

Rocket stated that he used zombies just  because he needed some easy to create background for an apocalyptic scenario and survival simulation and I also remember Brian Hicks saying that Zombies will never be a real big  thing or threat in DayZ since he thinks the game is more or even all about player interaction.

Hear the devs talk about all the cool stuff they are doing...basebuilding...vehicles...electric grid system...etc etc etc (fantastic job no question) but did we ever hear them talk that enthusiastic and detailed about zombies and their plans for them during the last 3 years ?

Refusing to create or even think about any lore about the outbreak is another indicator for me...and yes I know they are saying the reason for this is that they want it to be as much sandbox as possible....

The devteam has made an amazing job so far and I am absolutely sure they will continiue to do so, but regarding zombies it is more than understandable that people getting worried sometimes, especially if they have been around here since the early days.....

just my two cents

Were zombies ever an issue for anyone other than the freshest players?  The initial experience was all about the zombies but it only took a few hours to really work out how they functioned and and a couple dozen more to really learn how to handle them (run into a building, sit in a tree, good ol' mod days).  They received a few bumps in threat level throughout the mod but they were never a real threat and never induced the same level of adrenaline or fear that other players did.   They served a purpose in the mod, although obviously flawed and used as a radar system (fixed when moved from being spawned by the client and actually hosted by the server), and if we look at it from a modding perspective from the days before dayz we can see the obvious need for something other than just players vs players in the survival setting.   It seems to me that DayZ wasn't a player vs. zombie mod with other players and more of a player vs. player mod with zombies.  Then again, I am looking back at the mod with both game hours and some light modding experience (something I had none of before playing the mod).

I think that is what Hicks is getting at with that quote.  I never shat my pants when I saw a zombie, my heart rate never increased the same when I saw a zombie as when I saw an actual player, especially with enough hours under my belt.  Players to this day still jack my heart rate, especially when they've already noticed me.  Zombies, not so much.  I can take on 4+ with no effort with bare fists.  More than that and I might need a bandage.  Maybe.  Oh the humanity! :)

I don't think the devs view zombies as unimportant, i think they view them as any other secondary feature when compared to the basics or even as part of the environment like dirty water supplies.  They serve a purpose but are they more important than loot that isn't dependent on a system that is easily abused and farmed by dickheads?  Are they more important than traveling around the map in the passenger seat without barfing?  More important than being able to actually store gear and not live the life of a hobo on rails?  In my opinion, no.  Then again, that is how I view zeds so my own bias may be playing a part here.

As for actual lore, whether they use what rocket's brother punched out long ago or not is still up in the air.  The zeds may or may not have a cause and after 3000+ hours in the mod an 1200+ in the SA, I really couldn't care.

• Like 2

Michaelvoodoo25 is back?!?!

HELL FUCKING YEAH!

Wait...who?

The O.G. to your B.G.

Show respect son.  You're just a fart in the wind of his brown bomber.

The O.G. to your B.G.

Right?

• Like 2

And I didn't call anyone specific a fanboy. If you wanted to attack the OP and i had previously in the thread warned him he would be attacked there isn't much i can do if you want to internalize my remarks. If you are real broke up about it come to Lloyd and I'll buy you a beer at Montanas. We can talk about our real problems, Dang Oil Crash. And no Molsen Canadian please I drank a river dry of that shit when I worked on the rigs.

Yeah... and to add insult to injury the NDP is treating Alberta Oil like early access for investors. 

Anyway... standing down- but I STILL think people should read before they sprinkle their opinions across our fertile internet soil.

• Like 1

Yeah... and to add insult to injury the NDP is treating Alberta Oil like early access for investors. 

Anyway... standing down- but I STILL think people should read before they sprinkle their opinions across our fertile internet soil.

Dont get me started on the NDP! lol

What's this about an electric grid system?  Do you have a link?  Gives a whole new meaning to the term "deathtrap" that I would love to see play out in the game.

Also, @ OP: I miss zombies too; just not that much.  Unless we can craft a snare out of a rope and a stick, I really don't have much use for zombies yet.

What's this about an electric grid system?  Do you have a link?  Gives a whole new meaning to the term "deathtrap" that I would love to see play out in the game.

Also, @ OP: I miss zombies too; just not that much.  Unless we can craft a snare out of a rope and a stick, I really don't have much use for zombies yet.

https://www.dayzgame.com/development-board

You guys make me laugh. Step outside once in a while and realise there is more to life than being a keyboard warrior.

Perhaps it was a bit naive to come back looking for answers, but hey i suppose asking members for info was a bit too much for most on this thread.

Once, not too long ago these forums were the most helpful place on the net (ill be around bringing some of that back) and if my op was taken the wrong way then i suppose you could take it the wrong way if you dont know me. Well tough, deal with it and stop with the stroppy attitudes, grow up.

I accept your apologies.

• Like 2