SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

I realy do like the new Zeds and the runnig speed they've got now! Though they are still buggy!^^

I would find it realy cool if there would be some little chance of zeds having loot and maybe in realy realy rare cases military zeds carrying a weapon maybe even in the theyre hands.

I might be going too far with this idea but they could also sometimes fire a bullet not pointing on anything but would maybe scare some people thinking there is another player arround. But i think i'm realy going too far with this idea!

• Like 2

Zombie spawning is out of control.

Curious what this proves? The guy is running around in the open, no obstructions... he's stopping short of the zombies giving up, and then he's firing a weapon? I'd say nothing unusual here?

First off... if you kill Infected, once that particular Infected respawns, it'll head straight for that last location of where the individual shot it from.

Secondly, if you don't run away long enough, then yes, the Infected will continue to chase you. But, on at least separate 10 instances on Regular and Hardcore, I've run away successfully from Infected.

Third, if you fire your weapon and if it's within earshot for the Infected to hear, you'll draw them in.

So, nothing surprising in the video...?

...and maybe in realy realy rare cases military zeds carrying a weapon maybe even in the theyre hands.

I might be going too far with this idea but they could also sometimes fire a bullet not pointing on anything but would maybe scare some people thinking there is another player arround. But i think i'm realy going too far with this idea!

I think a game that had that feature was the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? Zombie Stalkers out in the fields with weapons that they'd randomly fire? Don't remember... it's been too long since I played that exquisite game.

EDIT: Edited for rephrasing of statement.

Edited by sniperdoc
  • Like 1

Well considering this is the official thread here is another two more cents now that I have spent some time messing about with the infected....

The current implementation of the infected is far better then before, I have no idea why or how people are having these "massive issues" with them personally it sound like some people either bought the wrong game or need to rethink their strategies when dealing with certain situations.  After my first gloss over this thread I want in game to determine who was doing what right and wrong.  

Conclusions are as follows:

1. In order to escape the infected put you gun away.  Putting your gun away will mean that any time they pause or stop you will be able to gain a few feet, out running the infected is possible.

2. Infected only spawn aggroed to you if your waving a gun about and staying in the same spot.  This experiment was done by shooting a few infected and seeing what happens I then tried to run away after shooting them, they deal is this (As previously stated by Dean) and tested to be true.  "When you shoot an infected they will respawn with the knowledge of where you where when you last shot and head immediately to that position. However if you kill the infected using a melee or silent weapon they will not spawn aware of your last position". I tested this and after using a gun to kill and attract attention I switched to my fire axe and began killing them, I had one respawn several feet in front of me and it was unaware of my presence (as it was looking a different direction).

Did I mention that I love the new zombies?

• Like 2

Dean also stated that you should be able to clear given area of zeds, something that is not possible with current mechanics, and no, firing a gun does not justify an endless stream of aggroed zeds that know where you are. Instant re spawn is retard end of story. 

• Like 1

oh one thing i forgot to mention that i like about the new zeds; i like how they come swarming at you after you fire a gun (mainly because there's now more of them). makes PvP firefights way more interesting. also you better make that first Mosin round count when sniping someone, or you have 2 things to worry about.

• Like 1

Dean also stated that you should be able to clear given area of zeds, something that is not possible with current mechanics, and no, firing a gun does not justify an endless stream of aggroed zeds that know where you are. Instant re spawn is retard end of story. 

Do you even read bro?

if you don't want an endless stream of zombies stop shooting your gun off like your Rambo, problem solved.

• Like 2

That video above reminds me of the exact same thing happening in the mod but of some guy firing a lee enfield in elektro to kill zombies and then running in the pub by the supermarket and getting overwhelmed by zombies and dying. And then they would complain that zombies keep spawning.

The video we designed to show the 'broken' mechanic, and so is an unfair look at the game. It's in a city, theres a hell of a lot of zombies, and you are firing your pistol while running around in the open. This seems like a real *zombie* game now. I think he got a bit of a shock from being used to the nearly non-existent zombies beforehand. Unless he has played the mod?

As for feedback, im sure the team knows the respawn mechanic needs a lot of tweaking, but I do like the direction the zombies are taking - now they are actually part of the game.

Edited by Noface
  • Like 4

Curious what this proves? The guy is running around in the open, no obstructions... he's stopping short of the zombies giving up, and then he's firing a weapon? I'd say nothing unusual here?

First off... if you kill Infected, once that particular Infected respawns, it'll head straight for that last location of where the individual shot it from.

Secondly, if you don't run away long enough, then yes, the Infected will continue to chase you. But, on at least separate 10 instances on Regular and Hardcore, I've run away successfully from Infected.

Third, if you fire your weapon and if it's within earshot for the Infected to hear, you'll draw them in.

So, nothing surprising in the video...?

What's the point in just running away from the zombies when I'm trying to LOOT the town? I have to kill them in order to do that.

That video above reminds me of the exact same thing happening in the mod but of some guy firing a lee enfield in elektro to kill zombies and then running in the pub by the supermarket and getting overwhelmed by zombies and dying. And then they would complain that zombies keep spawning.

The video we designed to show the 'broken' mechanic, and so is an unfair look at the game. It's in a city, theres a hell of a lot of zombies, and you are firing your pistol while running around in the open. This seems like a real *zombie* game now. I think he got a bit of a shock from being used to the nearly non-existent zombies beforehand. Unless he has played the mod?

As for feedback, im sure the team knows the respawn mechanic needs a lot of tweaking, but I do like the direction the zombies are taking - now they are actually part of the game.

Everyone says they want realism in the game. Well infinite spawning Zombies isn't realistic. You should be able to clear the town (by firing your weapon) to loot it. I understand firing your weapon and attracting a ton of Zombies. But infinite is not what I have in mind when I think of realism.

• Like 1

Do you even read bro?

if you don't want an endless stream of zombies stop shooting your gun off like your Rambo, problem solved.

I do read "bro"

Also you might as well remove all guns from the game if firing a single shot ends with infinite zombie stream, because that's what's it's now. And by no means it's what it's supposed to be. There is no reason at all for zombies to re spawn instantly in the same area.

It is that simple. Infinite zeds are not fun nor are realistic. 

Do you even read bro?

You're wasting you time with that argument. Because shootkillmurderdeathcod.

• Like 2

What's the point in just running away from the zombies when I'm trying to LOOT the town? I have to kill them in order to do that.

Everyone says they want realism in the game. Well infinite spawning Zombies isn't realistic. You should be able to clear the town (by firing your weapon) to loot it. I understand firing your weapon and attracting a ton of Zombies. But infinite is not what I have in mind when I think of realism.

its your method of killing zombies that is the problem - use your axe and use a little stealth - I never have problems looting towns (well not from the zombies anyway). of course the respawn mechanic is still under development but watching your video all I can see is someone in a town full of zombies make a ton of noise which attracts more zombies, seems reasonable to me.

• Like 1

If they could run up the stairs instead of running through the walls then they would be perfect!

It's great that they can spot Bandits out in Electro. Got more kills than before thanks to them.

• Like 1

Yeah! Zombies!!

Exactly as I wished they would be.  This is now a zombie survival game..imagine that!

Edited by blowurselfup
  • Like 4

Since this is a feedback thread could everyone please stop quoting other people's comments to criticize them?  This is probably too late since it's on Page 22.

Now on to the Zombies.  So, whenever I found a gun, I would always go to a street, find a far target, zero my SKS, Mosin, pistol, take a shot or two, then go about my business.  Since I always play stealth, this one seemingly careless act I do is, in my experience, the best way to bring anyone within earshot out of the woodwork.  To groups or lonewolves, a gunshot means danger.  To fresh spawns, a ready to use gun.  The first time I tried this after the patch, I shot my sks shots (Perfectly on target as always) and ran my usual course through the corner cafe (no open doors, no trails).  Once on the other side, I crouch, check out my immediate surroundings, and instantly regret doing what I did.  5 Zombies all running at me, and I mean Running!  Not ambling quickly, not even a fast jog.  They are sprinting.  My SKS was in my hands with a mosin on my back.  Nope!  Not fast enough.  I had to ditch it if I had any hope of escape.

Now my favorite thing to do is find people in cities, fire off shots from a rooftop, and watch them scramble from the zombie madness.  But for hard, reliable feedback, here is a list.

Yay!  Fast Zombies!

-Faster is way better than what they were

-Spawning Zombies was an inspired idea.  Better than having every zombie standing dumbly in a yard until they get killed.  Then they wouldn't appear until server reset, and th-at is too easy.

-Since this ISN"T a simulator, the new zombie mechanics highlight immersion elements.  Makes strategy that much more important when moviong/firing

Things I'd Change

-I think more if not all zombies should be moving most of the time.  Even occasionally having them sprint after nothing.  Right now, I can sit Berezino in the Hospital, watch 2 or 3 zombies, and I will always now when someone is approaching.  Zombie grunts, spins on the spot, and looks SE?  So am I.  Maybe I don't want to change this...

-Zombie sight:  I'm sure this has been mentioned a few dozen times, but they can see better than me with scope.  There have been a few instances when I barely clear a treeline to scope out a town and they are already chasing me.  Once, when I was scoping out Svetlo from way up past the gas station, 3 zeds from the station were all running at me, and there were more pouring out of the town!

-MORE!!!  MORE MORE MORE!  I olove the PVP aspects of this game, and have come to regard dealing with zombies as more of a chore than anything.  I would love to see rambling hordes, a zombie migration, zombies in buildings and on roofs, in the woods, in the lou, everywhere.  All within server capabilities, of course.

-More noises!  I feel like these zombies move around with a sort of politeness.  Maybe a grunt once they first see you, and a scream when they jump, but thats not enough.  They make idle sounds, I think they should be increased.  The moan from a massive horde would be terrifying.

As per the latest changelog, post your feedback here. Keep it constructive.

Well, I'm currently trekking through the north, and in the hours I have played I have yet to see a single zombie. It's completely empty up there, so I can't really comment on the actual mechanics, other than that they don't seem to spawn in the far north at all. I've passed through completely unlooted towns and haven't seen a single one.

Oh I see now, you guys saying new zeds spawning system is great are not hardcore players looking for challenge, you are pussies who want bandits and killers gone from this game because you can't defend yourselves. 

Oh I see now, you guys saying new zeds spawning system is great are not hardcore players looking for challenge, you are pussies who want bandits and killers gone from this game because you can't defend yourselves.

Hell no. It's funny watching you guys struggle with the concept of not shooting anything that moves.

• Like 4

I've cleared lots of small towns these past couple of days,the Zeds are not endlessly spawing

I can clear them with an SKS no problem at all

I can also outrun them,sneak past them whatever.... it is a lot harder than before but that is good as the Zeds were way to easy before!

Before the hotfix,I had major Lag and desync issues which were the root of my problems with having a gross amount of lag

Since the hotfix though,killing Zeds and or running from them and clearing towns has now pretty much become as easy as before

I swear I am so close to just torturing you with my N64 quality DayZ graphics to prove a point here seriously I'm strongly considering it.

• Like 1

Aren't GAMES supposed to be FUN, last time I checked this was still a GAME. (One that's still in ALPHA but a GAME NONETHELESS). I enjoy realism to an extent. However I'd still like to ENJOY a GAME. IMO It's just not enjoyable at the moment. (Due to superhuman zombies).

On a side note, are any of the devs viewing this thread????

There is no point in buffing them they already run through walls, submarine, Go invisible and are the most annoying thing in the game. Though i do understand it because it is a zombie game but don't over do it. 

Just figured I'd register and put in my 2 cents.

I always run with a couple of friends, so I can't comment much on doing anything singleplayer style.

Since the patch has come out, I've put in about 5 hours total.

The good changes:

I guess tactical bacon is pretty ok and the spraypaint ....

The changes that WOULD be good except for they're not:

Zombie respawn (see bad changes)
Zombie agro (see bad changes)
Zombie speed (see bad changes)

The bad changes:

Zombie respawn.  I won't go overboard and lie that I had 200 zombies up my buns every second of the game.  What I will mention is that I had zombies respawning within melee range about every 4 or 5 seconds (aka not enough time to bandage).  I had zombies agro on me while standing perfectly still (I don't know how far away, but far enough that I needed a scope to see them well).

I'm all for more zombies, and I'm all for faster zombies, and I'm all for respawning zombies, BUT, not like this.

I feel like if I had just purchased this alpha (and yes, I know this is alpha), then I would chalk it up to a lost $30 and never play it again.

My suggestions would be to increase the overall number of zombies, increase their spawn time to a few minutes at least, get rid of the 'spawn on you' mechanic, and call it a day.

anyways, just my take on this.

Well considering this is the official thread here is another two more cents now that I have spent some time messing about with the infected....

The current implementation of the infected is far better then before, I have no idea why or how people are having these "massive issues" with them personally it sound like some people either bought the wrong game or need to rethink their strategies when dealing with certain situations.  After my first gloss over this thread I want in game to determine who was doing what right and wrong.  

Conclusions are as follows:

1. In order to escape the infected put you gun away.  Putting your gun away will mean that any time they pause or stop you will be able to gain a few feet, out running the infected is possible.

2. Infected only spawn aggroed to you if your waving a gun about and staying in the same spot.  This experiment was done by shooting a few infected and seeing what happens I then tried to run away after shooting them, they deal is this (As previously stated by Dean) and tested to be true.  "When you shoot an infected they will respawn with the knowledge of where you where when you last shot and head immediately to that position. However if you kill the infected using a melee or silent weapon they will not spawn aware of your last position". I tested this and after using a gun to kill and attract attention I switched to my fire axe and began killing them, I had one respawn several feet in front of me and it was unaware of my presence (as it was looking a different direction).

Did I mention that I love the new zombies?

I have found the best way is to go melee and hope for the best.

oh one thing i forgot to mention that i like about the new zeds; i like how they come swarming at you after you fire a gun (mainly because there's now more of them). makes PvP firefights way more interesting. also you better make that first Mosin round count when sniping someone, or you have 2 things to worry about.

I agree, playing with the new Zeds was actually this weekend. The only thing I don't like is them randomly spawning around your radius. You can even catch them popping into your area. Kind of breaks the immersion.

• Like 2

OMFG guys, the zombies will only aggro TO YOU if you shoot them, they then respawn with your last position locked into memory and come running as if you just fired the shot, im gonna make a video when i get some bullets of how the mechanic works and how to effectively deal with zeds and what guns are best used for just to prove that it is peoples playstyles causing issues not alpha testing mechanics that are nothing to do with end result, merely different mechanics being thrown into the game to see how they work and if could be implemented, they clearly will not be putting in the insta respawn mechanic, the actual feedback is about ZOMBIE MOVEMENT and the new animations, which increase their speed just enough that you have to sprint for a while to get out of range. the main issue is the clipping (being worked on with the new ai system that WILL make the final release) and the audio and visual alert zone the zeds have, (granted right now in the placeholder mod code zombies we have, it sucks) yes they do aggro when your quite away away AND behind them, but u know what, i just expec t that to happen now, and use my trusty melee weapon to sort them out. im hyped to make this video just to show people need adapt to the game, or give up on it

False.

I had numerous zombies spawn directly on me as well as agro on me from long distances using only my fire axe.

At no point did I have a firearm equipped.