SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

I think the zombies aggro zone is way too big. Sometimes a zombie comes running to me from almost 100m away.

I like the new speed they have, keeps it a bit more excited, but i don't like the jump they do when they are close to you.

I have never seen a zombie make a jump like that... (reffering to the Walking Dead, 28 days later etc)

Are you serious? In a zombie apocalypse you would run like an idiot trough a city, or shooting at them staying nearly theme? 

In the mod, when zombies became a problem (Around patch 1.7.4 maybe) if you didn't sneak you would've died.

This is not a CoD.

can u read ? who said anything about cod ? i only say if u kill a zombie they should not dissapear from thin air arround u, this needs to be more realistic also no ? no problem with allot of zombies and no problem with they are harder to fight but i have a problem when u shoot one zombie in a openfield and no other zombie is arround they suddently rise from thin air arround u and keep on comming.

i love to sneak into a town without attracting zombies, the thing i dont like when clearing a whole street to finally come at a well to fill up my water bottle's suddently when drinking u have to worry about a zombie in a second while filling up a bottle.

The developers think the zombies are now more dangerous, but they are still not a lethal threat. They have just become incredibly annoying. When you enter a town, suddenly all zombies know where you are and chase you at the speed of sound. Killing them with a gun is incredibly pointless, as the zombies respawn right away (sometimes even in front of you) and those new ones run back to you, alarmed by the gunshots. An axe is way too easy, just run around th zombies and you can easilly hit them from behind.

Also: zombies seem to have developed some kind of mutated claws. It takes only one hit from a zed to start bleeding, and you don't have time to bandage yourself, as there are allways 5 zombies swarming you.

The game also seems to have a problem with spawing new players. When i spawn, the screen stays in loading mode for a few seconds but my character is already in the game, attracting zombies. I died a few times from bleeding this way.

I realy hope the zombies become a more prominent threat, but now they are just annoying as hell. 

Edited by Photasx

IMO the main issue is that they respawn to close to you. Its fine if they respawn. but make it 1 KM away from the player that killed em, and a short delay on when they become aware of their surroundings and start chasing people. Right now its a bit overkill when you have to spend tons of ammo just mowing down zombies that keep respawning right next to you. It's not very realistic. If you want to keep the dificulty then make them hear shots over longer distances so they will all converge on players shooting but at least they wont just pop out of no where.

Experiment part 1 @ NWAF: Got an M4 started shooting running about in the middle of the tarmac, eventually got hit and bleeding, switched to axe, axed the infected, bandaged myself.

Experiment part 2: Took my gun and went to a small town, found a single infected, shot it, killed 5-6 respawns of said infected, last shot I fired I moved immediately and did not get aggroed at by the respawn.

The sound of fighting even with a melee weapon will still attract other infected in the area, although on a much smaller radius then a gun shot so make every swing count.

Still love the new zombie system.

Edited by Window Licker

I ve succesfull killed one female zombie with the little hammer in 2 hits since HOTFIX. Z are not impossible to kill. Harder yes but that's good now. Please leave them as they are :D

Honestly it's very hard to survive now as a new spawn. But i like that. i like to spawn and immediately being chasing by a Z. It's just run for you life like 28  days later. It s very immersive IMO...

Maybe we need more types of zombies : runners, walkers, standers, crawlers, jumpers lol ? and could we have more gore or decomposed Z, with legs apart, or cut in half (guys, remember this poor female zombie on episode 1 of Walking dead ?)

Or zombies blocked in the background, or scratched by cars or obstructed by concrete broken buildings.

Just my 2 cts.

Cheers

• Like 1

I like the new animations they have. Although for me it is now uncommon to spot a slow, walking infected that chases you.

New animations? Good. Need some tweaks still (like turning around of them...or run in circles around them...seems to confuse them ;))

Just some things that came to my mind yesterday while playing:

• Make them slower? No way. If a weight/volume based inventory system would come, they should even be faster than a "turbo-sprint" player char, that carries a lot of stuff...
  • Maybe even give them a "set" of different attacks, ranging from a tackle (out of the leaping?) that causes player to fall...or a clinging attack? Slows player down heavily, with the ragdoll system maybe even determineable where it clinges and resolve it into different effects, maybe followed by a bite attack....
  • Attacks against Zs should probably also cause different effects (broken legs, broken arms etc.)
  • There are still far too few, but as the performance of the server gets better, the numbers will rise, I know. Just mentioning ;)
  • Zombie screams should attract other Zs in the area. This seems to happen sometimes but for sure not all the time.
  • I don't go into the "fix the wall glitch" thing here, since we all know that it is a bug (or more, an unfinished implementation) since...well...months. It will be fixed, I'm sure, so well...I'll wait for it.
  • But the future change to the Z AI should change their "senses" into "Bad sight, awesome hearing" (I think rocket announced something like this way back anyways, just wanted to say....Yes! ;))
  • And, in my opinion, they could even have more hitpoints (or whatever the "life" equivalent is called) and hit harder. The more of a threat they are, the better imho. Maybe the military Zs with their nice helmets could also a resist an axe-attack to the head (until the helmet is ruined ? ;))  Same for their nice vests...
    • Ah the military weapons...I created a bug report for some of them already, since their range is...well....If I can punch a Z in the back in the head but not hit it with a crowbar, I assume I'm swinging it with my teeths...^^ Axes are too strong, wrenches too weak, etc.
  • The respawning....well, raw prototype is raw. Announced is, that it will be implemented in a much more sensitive way and completely changed. So...I'm happy to have respawning Zs now, and look forward to the changes of the system.
  • And as usual, Lootable Zs. Clothes, Helmets, whatever they are wearing. 90% ruined? I don't care^^
  • I still wonder, if the "Zombie lifecycle" that Dean spoke about months ago, is still planned...would be interesting.

Ok, I got a little bit off the road here..

• Like 1

can u read ? who said anything about cod ? i only say if u kill a zombie they should not dissapear from thin air arround u, this needs to be more realistic also no ? no problem with allot of zombies and no problem with they are harder to fight but i have a problem when u shoot one zombie in a openfield and no other zombie is arround they suddently rise from thin air arround u and keep on comming.

i love to sneak into a town without attracting zombies, the thing i dont like when clearing a whole street to finally come at a well to fill up my water bottle's suddently when drinking u have to worry about a zombie in a second while filling up a bottle.

This spawn systeme is provvisory, so you should try to not care about it.

Anyway, it sounded like you wanted easier zombies to kill with that post, I'm sorry

New animations? Good. Need some tweaks still (like turning around of them...or run in circles around them...seems to confuse them ;))

Just some things that came to my mind yesterday while playing:

Hmmm, very cool stuff i have to say dude. I love your ideas.

I really hope Dev's are looking into this topic, huh ?

Yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ! i want Dayz finished Now !

Et que ça saute lol !

OFF-SUBJECT : this game will be moddable when it will be finished ? What the engine runs on ? i would love to know what 3d softwares they are using.

Edited by Ludz

as the title says, i had to deal with a invisible zombie today. i was sniping some zombies 800+ m at neaf to get some practice when i suddenly got hit with the typical punching sound "bam bam". i quickly got up and ran 20 m or so checking my surroundings, but there was no one. i stand there about 5 seconds and get hit again. then i ran off, thinking maybe someone patched the silencer and its a guy with a 100 % soundless m4 shooting from far away. i ran about 1000 meters. when i decided to go back checking what happend.

i went all the way back to the spot i got hit the first time. and guess what. someone hit me again, this time i started bleeding and ran about 400 meters, bandaged me and ran nealry all the way up to nwaf because i was paranoid. there i drank something and it only took about 3 seconds to go back to healthy, and thats why i think it either was an invisible zombie or an invisible player punching me, because it didn't deal any real damage. or maybe amphibia s? 

just rendering the video, then ill upload it...

video: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/182234-invisible-zombie/

Edited by Tikka

as the title says, i had to deal with a invisible zombie today. i was sniping some zombies 800+ m at neaf to get some practice when i suddenly got hit with the typical punching sound "bam bam". i quickly got up and ran 20 m or so checking my surroundings, but there was no one. i stand there about 5 seconds and get hit again. then i ran off, thinking maybe someone patched the silencer and its a guy with a 100 % soundless m4 shooting from far away. i ran about 1000 meters. when i decided to go back checking what happend.

i went all the way back to the spot i got hit the first time. and guess what. someone hit me again, this time i started bleeding and ran about 400 meters, bandaged me and ran nealry all the way up to nwaf because i was paranoid. there i drank something and it only took about 3 seconds to go back to healthy, and thats why i think it either was an invisible zombie or an invisible player punching me, because it didn't deal any real damage. or maybe amphibia s? 

just rendering the video, then ill upload it...

Merging

I have to kill them in order to do that.

Everyone says they want realism in the game. Well infinite spawning Zombies isn't realistic. You should be able to clear the town (by firing your weapon) to loot it. I understand firing your weapon and attracting a ton of Zombies. But infinite is not what I have in mind when I think of realism.

First off... No, you don't. You don't have to kill them. Lead them away from town, then run back. Does that mean it'll possibly expose you to bandits, ABSOLUTELY!

While I agree infinite Infected isn't necessarily the way to go, but when do you draw the line and have completely cleared out places?  I think the way the respawn speed is now is a bit overboard... HOWEVER, they're just testing it and even IF it stays the way it is... I'm completely content with it, considering a lot of other things have yet to get fixed, such as visual and auditory reactions by the Infected, collision detection and what not. All of that will change the way they respond to you. They'll also change WHERE they'll spawn... my guess, inside buildings away from prying eyes.

I do think that there should be a mass of Infected. Just spawning 4 - 6 Infected in Balota and then having the respawn mechanic start up in 4 hours is NOT the way it should be. 1 - 2 Infected per building every 30mins maybe? As a developer you have to consider what type of environment you have to create and that it is not just 1 individual playing the game. While you WANT realism, sometimes you have to bend the rules a little to maintain gameplay.

On a side note... Would it change the ESRB rating of the game to have Infected kids? Is that out of line? Would it draw too much criticism? Would that add a bit of "realism" or "morality" to the game? (Knowing what kind of sadists play this game, probably not) Would be interesting to see the stats though... "1000 players killed 458,000 Infected Children!" -- achievement - Child Killer!

zombies shouldn't leap

also

they are too fast, seriously.

they shouldn't be default faster than the healthy, rested and enegized player character flat sprinting with no loot.

• Like 2

Regardless of the game or medium, I always have this thought about zombies in general.  They should either be fast or smart, but not both to keep balance.  Super fast jump high zombies should be limited by things like not understanding how to open a door (but maybe could bash through one) and less likely to notice you.  Likewise, smart zombies that can use tools (weapons?) and open things should be slower and easier to outmaneuver but perhaps spot you a lot quicker.    Of course, it's be cool if newly dead zombies start out smart and uncoordinated but then over time become more mindless but better at getting around so that you have a mix of both smart and fast zombies.

• Like 1

This spawn systeme is provvisory, so you should try to not care about it.

Anyway, it sounded like you wanted easier zombies to kill with that post, I'm sorry

thanks for understanding, and what is your source that this spawn system of zombies is prowisory ? ;)

greets rigz

I don't quite understand some thing in these threads about the speed of the "Zombies" as they actually infected people and therefore there is no reason for them to move slower then a normal human.

They are infected with a variant of rabies that causes them to mindlessly attack any un-infected person they see, the survivors that we play are the percentage of the population that are immune to this variant but that doesn't stop the infected from wanting to chew our faces off.

So the only question is this do you run faster when your angry (infected) or when your scared (survivor)?

• Like 3

This is not a zombie, its retarded. If this is how dayz is making zombies harder then it's dead to me. Zombies don't sprint. 

The zombies movies with sprinting zombies are the most ridiculous retarded shit movies. and now this game. It's turning into left for dead, or serious sam. Not bad games, but ridiculous. This is not what I got the game for. 

There is no atmosphere, either there are no zombies, or they are sprinting at you. Thats not suspenseful, doesn't seem like you're surviving tucked away in a ruined town creeping around finding supply's trying to avoid the ROTTING CORPSES walking around. Now you just go to town kill the zombies that sprint at you and it's over. What kind of lame experience is this? 

What happened to us having stamina? What happened to the horror? I know it was weak before but I thought it was getting there with the classic slow zombie walking animations. And now they are back to the old mod version of runners. This is bullshit. 

You might like it because it's new about now they are harder, thats true, but this is going the wrong way, this is not how dayz should be. Dayz should be 1000's of zombies, and the danger is from their numbers. you can't run forever. thats where there difficulty comes from. 

Going in this direction I promise you there will never be loads of zombies, it's will just be sparse, with fue zombies that run at you. This is the wrong direction to take the game in. I know I'll get hate from people here, but you'll be building your own lame game. Just another shooter with no style, flare, soul. It will be shallow. I guarantee it.   Just look at all the other games that increase enemy difficulty by adding health or damage or bullshit ability's to the enemy's. Soul less. shallow.  

Go on, flame me, ruin the game. 

Agree 100%.

THIS zombie game should be about avoiding the herds, not running like hell.

We need more zombies, not faster ones.

Maybe they should spawn on the beach and at graveyards, And then drift towards towns or make herds.

• Like 2

Just recently started playing and I've been enjoying it. I agree with everyone that fixing the wall glitch should be a priority.

However, I like their speed, strength, and health at the moment. I'm guessing their super vision has something to do with the wall glitch?

One thing I'd like to see is some sort of safe haven. It seems at the moment if you can get on the 2nd level of a building they typically can't/don't follow you up, they just sit at the bottom of the stairs screaming at you. When I spawn it's hard enough trying to loot without worrying about zeds coming at me when I'm unarmed.

I think it would be kind of cool to limit them to ground floors, but maybe they scream louder and attract other zeds and so you're forced to decide whether you want to dash past one or loot and hope 10 more don't show up.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to see where the next round of changes will take us.

Agree 100%.

THIS zombie game should be about avoiding the herds, not running like hell.

We need more zombies, not faster ones.

Maybe they should spawn on the beach and at graveyards, And then drift towards towns or make herds.

As stated before, they're not dead people walking. They're living people infected with a disease.

• Like 2

I got killed with 1 hit to the head by a zombie while i was fully geared. GG Alpha.

Edited by xAtrocity

zombies shouldn't leap

also

they are too fast, seriously.

they shouldn't be default faster than the healthy, rested and enegized player character flat sprinting with no loot.

pacific...I don't know what happened to you, but please...let it happen. Some of your posts are without any insults, they contribute to the topic and are neither QQing nor ranting but really part of a discussion while still holding your point of view....Thanks for evolving :)

Imho, leaping is ok (considering it is not the standard way of moving or attacking but something not so common). And faster..I'd say: Equal. A Z in full sprint should be as fast as a (turbo)sprinting player without any loot.

But a good point: A player that has the status "energized" should maybe be a little faster than a "starving" one...and "rested" is a nice status (still waiting for the stamina system ;))

• Like 1

I like the speed and aggression and strength of the new zombies; obviously the dodgy collision detection, clipping through structures, punching you from 30 feet away running around inside the floor, spotting you through a wall from 10 miles away, etc. all needs addressing.

Overall, though, I think I would prefer zombies that you can't permanently 'kill'. I really dislike how they disappear into thin air a couple of seconds after you kill them, and then reappear out of thin air again some distance away. The whole concept of monsters that magically vanish and respawn reminds me of playing 1990s 2D platform games. Would it not be better if zombies didn't vanish when you put them down? Then maybe after a few minutes - 2, 5, 10, whatever - they'd just get up again? That would allow you to temporarily clear an area for looting without removing them altogether until the server resets. And it would be less crap-looking in terms of immersion than having respawns.

Edited by Pillock

I don't quite understand some thing in these threads about the speed of the "Zombies" as they actually infected people and therefore there is no reason for them to move slower then a normal human.

They are infected with a variant of rabies that causes them to mindlessly attack any un-infected person they see, the survivors that we play are the percentage of the population that are immune to this variant but that doesn't stop the infected from wanting to chew our faces off.

So the only question is this do you run faster when your angry (infected) or when your scared (survivor)?

I have read several similar statements now about zeds being infected not dead and therefore there is no reason for them to be slower than survivors. Serioulsy, look at them. If you have an infection your body fights it. And get weaker if the infection is a real problem, even a flu can make you feel exhausted. The zeds not only look like they have the flu or do they? The look like they are rotting while standing there. Imagine an infection that completely shuts of your brain and results in you looking the way zeds do. Let's ignore the fact that attacking the brain (behaviour) would probably also influence your motoric abilities to the negative.

Seriously, if you get an infection that results in such behavioural changes, you not caring about things like drinking water and the infection starts rotting your flesh - just look at them - exactly how fast do you think you will run? You probably would not be able to lift a finger.

Zeds are a fictional thing guys. Traditinally I always saw them as undead that just keep rotting away, but that's just me and results in me having raised eyebrows whenever I see one developing superhuman abilities or just speed even close to a healthy human. That's just my opinion though and irrelevant on how they are in DayZ.

But PLEASE stop saying thing things like "hey they aren't dead, only infected! No reason for them to be slower than a healty dude!" If you wanna go down the "realism" road, I would argue that any undead zed should be way faster than an infected. You played the game. You saw how they look. If you have such an infection, you won't be running.

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 1

I have read several similar statements now about zeds being infected not dead and therefore there is no reason for them to be slower than survivors. Serioulsy, look at them. If you have an infection your body fights it. And get weaker if the infection is a real problem, even a flu can make you feel exhausted. The zeds not only look like they have the flu or do they? The look like they are rotting while standing there. Imagine an infection that completely shuts of your brain and results in you looking the way zeds do. Let's ignore the fact that attacking the brain (behaviour) would probably also influence your motoric abilities to the negative.

Seriously, if you get an infection that results in such behavioural changes, you not caring about things like drinking water and the infection starts rotting your flesh - just look at them - exactly how fast do you think you will run? You probably would not be able to lift a finger.

Zeds are a fictional thing guys. Traditinally I always saw them as undead that just keep rotting away, but that's just me and results in me having raised eyebrows whenever I see one developing superhuman abilities or just speed even close to a healthy human. That's just my opinion though and irrelevant on how they are in DayZ.

But PLEASE stop saying thing things like "hey they aren't dead, only infected! No reason for them to be slower than a healty dude!" If you wanna go down the "realism" road, I would argue that any undead zed should be way faster than an infected. You played the game. You saw how they look. If you have such an infection, you won't be running.

Have you seen the movie 28 days later? The idea is, and although they're fictional it's supposed to be believable, that they are infected. Since they're still human they can keep some of their physical traits but over time they would degenerate. In the movie this happens and the survivors are basically able to "wait the zombies out". In this game something similar could be implemented maybe, or to keep it simple there could just be different zombies in different stages of degeneration. But, muscular decomposition assumes they're rotting. They're not rotting, but maybe starving. That could allow for what you suggest. But the "not dead but infected" comment above was directed at the idea that they're not able to move fast because they're decomposing.