gibonez

Lets talk about 22. lr

So you admit you made up the hitman thing, good. And no, actually, I'm not asking you make shit up, because you were the one who originally said it. You simply made shit up to begin with.

Get back under your bridge little uneducated troll.

If this .22 is going to have the equivalent stopping power of the Makarov, what's the point? The only time I see players use it is in situations in which they were desperado for gear. Even in this case, it was better to run than unload on your enemy.

I'm not criticizing excitement for the weapon, but how can the devs boost its ability over higher tier'd weapons without ruining the balance between them? If it will take 5 rounds to do the same damage the Hunting Rifle can do in one, why bother? My guess is it will need some type of special ability to seperate it from the pack or the hatchet will probably end up being the goto weapon of choice.

It's all about the availability of ammo. In the US, I would approximate, that 90% of households have up to 1000 rounds of 22 ammo. Hell I have 2500 rounds and I'm not even a gun nut. Just read about the recent 22 ammo shortage and that will tell you how many rounds are out there. 

It's a great weapon with plenty of ammo, awesome for the apocalypse. My grandfather raised cattle and he would kill them for slaughter with a 22. One well placed shot behind the ear and they went down right away.

It began as a 'non-lethal crowd control’ weapon, used to “take out key protestors by shooting them in the legs.”

Apparently that didn't work out so well so they don't use them much anymore.

Yea that because they were shooting people in the abdomen and tons of protestors died.

What were they even thinking to use that as a non lethal weapon lol.

It's all about the availability of ammo. In the US, I would approximate, that 90% of households have up to 1000 rounds of 22 ammo.

I would doubt that seeing as less than 50% of households own any firearms at all. But it is extremely common and even small boxes contain a lot of cartridges.

I would doubt that seeing as less than 50% of households own any firearms at all. But it is extremely common and even small boxes contain a lot of cartridges.

Yea they do :)

CC0032.jpg

federalrimfire.jpg

PS. .22LR is illegal for hunting in my country - it has too low kinetic energy. A hunter can't own a single .22LR bullet or gun that fires that round - that's also illegal. Maybe that round is popular in western Europe or America, but in eastern Europe is rather rare compared to any hunting round.

Here in Denmark i pay around 30 DKK, per hunting round for my rifle... For the same amount of money i can buy a box of 50 .22s.

This is my active rounds of course. Training rounds are significantly cheaper. 

Also the .22 is legal for hunting purposes in the EU, and most of Europe itself.. It is often used to shoot pests such as birds, foxes, cats, etc.

Edited by Firstbornchicken
  • Like 2

Those slagging the .22 are only exposing their lack of experience outside of digital simulators. Seriously, you know nothing Jon Snow.

• Like 3

Those slagging the .22 are only exposing their lack of experience outside of digital simulators. Seriously, you know nothing Jon Snow.

Cool Video I found on its lethality

• Like 5

I think most of us can all agree when we say that the .22 will find it's own niche in DayZ. It is apparent that it will appeal to many players despite it's controversy in this thread. Now if only we could convince the team to implement makeshift silencers so the .22 could be that much better for zombie control in cities! I'd rather be covert than have a large caliber rifle in this game! 

• Like 1

I think most of us can all agree when we say that the .22 will find it's own niche in DayZ. It is apparent that it will appeal to many players despite it's controversy in this thread. Now if only we could convince the team to implement makeshift silencers so the .22 could be that much better for zombie control in cities! I'd rather be covert than have a large caliber rifle in this game! 

Currently in game can the silencer work with any gun does it have restrictions like current real life silencers.

Would be nice if for example a .22 caliber silencer would work with .223 and 5.56 caliber weapons in game  same applies to .30 cal silencers working with 7.62 nato, .308 win, 300 win mag and maybe 7.62 x 39.

• Like 1

Currently in game can the silencer work with any gun does it have restrictions like current real life silencers.

Would be nice if for example a .22 caliber silencer would work with .223 and 5.56 caliber weapons in game  same applies to .30 cal silencers working with 7.62 nato, .308 win, 300 win mag and maybe 7.62 x 39.

I have only seen the silencer on the M4 but this is only my experience and not limited to what actually applies in game. I think it might be unrealistic for the silencer that works for one caliber to work for another weapons without drastically changing the ballistics. I'd rather have silencers made from trash that last for maybe 10-20 shots. If crafting is going to be a big part of this game then why not add more craft able add-ons for each weapon! 

For people who are saying the .22LR is a weak and worthless addition and those saying "Why would you even use it". Many had said the same thing about the Makarov PM and it's 9x18mm round, but it's still being used. I'd rather have something than nothing if it mean't it could save my life for that little bit longer.

Speaking of other "smaller" calibers, I'd certainly propose that .22 Long Rifle is indeed the most common throughout the world especially western countries, it's use as a target and small game/pest control round is paramount. However, from my experience .22LR is just one of the many small rounds used in Europe/Eastern Europe.

More over I've seen other rimfire rounds used often in equal fashion to the .22LR, such examples I can name off the top of my head are:

.22 Short

.22 Magnum

.17 HMR

.32 Rimfire

.9mm Flobert (which is actually a rimfire shotshell complete with wad and shot usually in #6 or #9 grade shot)

.410 Shotshell

A common firearm I have seen are cheap easily constructed varmint or "garden guns", usually in .32, 9mm Flobert or .410 shotshells, normally being Single shot, break barrel or bolt action designs, sometimes with a smoothbore or a crudely designed rifled barrel such as this: fab-15.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

I have only seen the silencer on the M4 but this is only my experience and not limited to what actually applies in game. I think it might be unrealistic for the silencer that works for one caliber to work for another weapons without drastically changing the ballistics. I'd rather have silencers made from trash that last for maybe 10-20 shots. If crafting is going to be a big part of this game then why not add more craft able add-ons for each weapon! 

Silencers do not change the ballistics in any weapon.

All it does is trap escaping gas, bullet travels at the same speed with the same trajectory regardless of it having a silencer or not.

• Like 1

Want to add a bit of realism to the game? Then add .22 semi-auto versions and non-.22 semi-auto versions of military guns to the game. They would be a bit of a rare find, but not really that rare. Really, how many people are going to have a high-end Firearms License for full-autos compared to people with no license that buy either cheaper .22 semi-auto versions of guns or civilian-legal semi-auto copies?

I feel .22 weapons would greatly add to gameplay.

a .22 hit to the head would kill.

a shot to the body would knock them out, and they should survive if they get medical treatment quickly.

People that want to Shoot-on-sight to defend themselves would have an extra option with this gun, to knock people out and make their escape.  (Could also take the time to loot the body)

Thus allowing the victim to possibly survive some encounters.

People that want to Kill on Sight, can follow up a second shot to the body/head if they wish.

I think a .22 Sniper Rifle would be excellent.  Maximum range would be at a "fun" range for all involved.   Bigger Rifles I feel are too OP for DayZ.

The CZ bolt 22s would be a great addition to the game, far better as the base survivor weapon to the winchester lever action in the mod.

I visited an abattoir in the army, they killed the cows with a 22 bolt action with the barrel and stock cut off and placed the muzzel right on the fore head of a 1 ton cow. click, one shot, it drops like a sack.

shot placement.

Which is the whole game with zombies, so this is the perfect weapon. upgradable with suppressors and bi pods and optics. Perfect.

I have a 25 year old Brno Mod 5 with a 4x scope and a few year old cv 453 premium with fluted barrel and a Leopold 2-7 scope on it. 

But, likely even a back pack would stop it at range, or weapon magazines, or light cover. 

The CZ 550 was common in the mod, so Presumably this map is in that area according to Rocket.

• Like 1

Want to add a bit of realism to the game? Then add .22 semi-auto versions and non-.22 semi-auto versions of military guns to the game. They would be a bit of a rare find, but not really that rare. Really, how many people are going to have a high-end Firearms License for full-autos compared to people with no license that buy either cheaper .22 semi-auto versions of guns or civilian-legal semi-auto copies?

And in addition to this, also likely a rare trigger-filing kit to turn your semi-auto weapon into full-auto only.

Who would use such a puny weapon?

People that can hit centre mass/ headshots.

If you miss your first mark it don't matter, they have such little recoil.

You can store literally hundreds of rounds just in your pocket.

The smaller the round, the more practical.

Give me a 10 .22 in a zombie apocalypse over an M82 any day.

And in addition to this, also likely a rare trigger-filing kit to turn your semi-auto weapon into full-auto only.

I think make it so you have to have a camp tool bench to modify weapons like this.

Things like double barrel to sawed off, and semi auto to full auto.

Ofcourse the disadvantage of going full auto is that now you have your whole mag gone in seconds.

Don't make it hard to do, make it realistic.

• Like 1

There's a pistol like this in Fallout New Vegas and it's terrible. I would never use it.

They should add better weapons first. There aren't even any shotguns or non-military handguns yet. Let's wait before adding exotic weird guns to fill out the inventory.

It's not "exotic weird" it's a goddamn .22 rifle... It's a common rifle that is found in households, especially in rural areas like this. It would make less sense not to add it.

Edited by Sutinen
  • Like 2

Actually the interchangeable silencers (actually suppressors but i will use silencers for ease of understanding) thing is quite common, infact you could buy a silencer that fit a 45acp and use that on anything smaller than .454 caliber rounds. With small change to the effectiveness of the silencer.

You know those videos with nagant revolvers with silencers on them? they most likely are either using 30 cal rifle silencers or 9mm silencers with spacers.

• Like 1

I think make it so you have to have a camp tool bench to modify weapons like this.

Things like double barrel to sawed off, and semi auto to full auto.

Ofcourse the disadvantage of going full auto is that now you have your whole mag gone in seconds.

Don't make it hard to do, make it realistic.

Filing the trigger won't make a gun full auto, it will make it (in rare occasions) slam fire a full mag till it is dry without stopping or ruin the gun (much more likely). Though sawn offs are fairly easy to do unless you are cutting a semi auto too short, and accidentally cut off a vital piece.

Actually the interchangeable silencers (actually suppressors but i will use silencers for ease of understanding) thing is quite common, infact you could buy a silencer that fit a 45acp and use that on anything smaller than .454 caliber rounds. With small change to the effectiveness of the silencer.

You know those videos with nagant revolvers with silencers on them? they most likely are either using 30 cal rifle silencers or 9mm silencers with spacers.

I just watched that video. I didn't know if a larger caliber silencer would affect the ballistics of a smaller round. It seems that is not the case! Interesting video by the way (adding water to the suppressor to making it more quiet). 

I just watched that video. I didn't know if a larger caliber silencer would affect the ballistics of a smaller round. It seems that is not the case! Interesting video by the way (adding water to the suppressor to making it more quiet). 

The only way that a silencer will alter the flight of the round excessively is if it hit the bullet. Other than that, all suppressors will effect the round exactly the same (in theory). But like always...

The-more-you-know.png

And i know sh*t all about the differences between "wet" silencers and "dry" silencer other than one has some water in it.

• Like 1

Filing the trigger won't make a gun full auto, it will make it (in rare occasions) slam fire a full mag till it is dry without stopping or ruin the gun (much more likely). Though sawn offs are fairly easy to do unless you are cutting a semi auto too short, and accidentally cut off a vital piece.

I'm just saying that I love crafting benches and I think they'd be a great addition for camps.

Now people will just visit and be on their way after modifying their weapons, instead of rounding up a posse and stealing everything and destroying everything else.

That's my vision for camps.

But 'slam fire', should be possible.

You see heaps of videos of people with illegally modified firearms like this and in some cases, it may be practical to do.

CQC situations it might be very helpful.