gibonez

Lets talk about 22. lr

I want to make a couple points, because I managed to read through this garbage until around page 7 and decided to stop because I only saw about 3 people who knew what they were talking about:

Well said.  I'd also love to see the .22LR implemented realistically from various barrel lengths (16" barrel will have higher velocity & energy than a 5" barrel for the same cartridge), and also agree that it's not an immediate stopping/killing round - most frequently, it'll be used as a deterrent for other players.  No one wants multiple holes punched into you that you'll have to repair.

While I'd rather be carrying a 5.56 or 7.62 rifle or a 9mm/.45 pistol, I'd MUCH rather be carrying a .22LR pistol or rifle over a pipe wrench or axe.  Currently, the M4 is non-existant in residential areas and the Mosin is fairly rare.  Having a plethora of variety in entry level .22LR firearms would be a huge plus not just for me, but for any new player to the game.

• Like 1

I hope the ammo they include in the game is Hyper velocity .22lr rounds and not sub sonic ammo.

Sub sonic rounds are a mere 1080 fps while super sonic hot .22 lr ammo costs the same yet clocks up at 1700 fps.

CC0050.jpg

• Like 1

Nice info CodeX.  That's a really good compilation and I'd love to see that stuff in the game as well.  You definitely know your stuff.

gibonez I am curious to see a ballistic gel test of that round, or a picture of what's left after shooting a possum or something similar with that ammo.  I'd imagine it would be a little messy.  I've never shot CHP before.

as said before. 22 rounds dont have enough stopping force. they are fine for small animals and for sports purposes.

i would not rely on a 22 weapon if someone sneaks inside my house in the middle of the night.

id rather have something bigger for that.

although i kinda would like to see them ingame.

(and no, 22 are not really commong in european homes. you cant just own a gun here. (in Chezh you can, but since the gun law is kinda easy going there, people buy somewhat bigger than 22. -> sports clubs use them although)

22lr is not a good offensive or defensive round.

It's great at punching holes in paper and tiny animals, and it has good accuracy at range, but that's where its benefits end. It doesn't have enough weight to cause signifigant soft tissue damage, its lack of weight also means it glances off bone instead of punching through.

In general the importance of shot placement scales inversely to the size of a bullet relative to stopping power. A through and through with a 22 will cause minor damage where the same shot from a .44 magnum will effectively incapicatate the target. And that's not even taking into consideration that for the nessasary penetration a 22 round needs to be ball or FMJ where as larger rounds have the requisite weight and power for penetration so they can be designed to deform, fracture, expand, etc so they cause even more serious soft tissue damage which further improves their effectiveness.

Now none of that means a 22 is useless, its just to point out the small kill zone of the cartridge. In reality Is rather have a 22 rather than nothing, just as I'd rather have an experianced marksman covering me with a 22 over Joe the plumber covering me with a 308, BUT that's reality. In game pain isn't something that can incapacitate a player, shooting is boiled down to point and click, and bodies aren't fully modeled with hearts lungs brains and bones. Sowhat were left with is simply how much soft tissue damage does it inflict, to which the honest answer is very little.

• Like 1

I for one would love to see more .22lr weapons.

It would require many rounds to take someone down and some firefights might actually last more than 2 seconds.

As for debating the effectiveness of .22lr...

It's the zombie apocalypse. You are unarmed and enter a house where you find a 10/22 and a box of 500 rds. You wouldn't take it?

Edited by Leto
  • Like 1

It would be cool to have a .22 hunting rifle in-game as it could show everyone that you're not into shooting people so much as hunting wildlife for food, i.e. it would be a survivor's rifle. As others have said, it should be a common low-end civilian find, along with plenty of ammo.

A nice touch, I like it. Hopefully Rocket will take note :)

Edited by Nereus77

It is a good idea, since the 22 cal, is most stored in households, besides the shotgun.

In the US maybe. Not in Russia/Europe. Here there are only shotguns and bolt action. Also these weapons are banned; usually only professional hunters have them.

as said before. 22 rounds dont have enough stopping force. they are fine for small animals and for sports purposes.

i would not rely on a 22 weapon if someone sneaks inside my house in the middle of the night.

id rather have something bigger for that.

although i kinda would like to see them ingame.

(and no, 22 are not really commong in european homes. you cant just own a gun here. (in Chezh you can, but since the gun law is kinda easy going there, people buy somewhat bigger than 22. -> sports clubs use them although)

Everyone with a brain would prefer something bigger, but I like the idea of a crappy gun for the noobs, or those looking for a challenge. Plus, if we're talking handguns, they aren't very powerful in general, a rifle is always preferable.

How common .22s are depends on where you live. In Sweden theyr'e relatively common, as every other hunter has one for cheap practice, and EVERY competitive pistol shooter has to buy a .22 as his first pistol.

Everyone with a brain would prefer something bigger, but I like the idea of a crappy gun for the noobs, or those looking for a challenge. Plus, if we're talking handguns, they aren't very powerful in general, a rifle is always preferable.

How common .22s are depends on where you live. In Sweden theyr'e relatively common, as every other hunter has one for cheap practice, and EVERY competitive pistol shooter has to buy a .22 as his first pistol.

Sure you can see the .22 as a gun for noobs but if any weapon in the game fits the survivors rifle its the 22.

It has all of the qualities to keep a person alive for long periods of time.

It has insanely low muzzle report so it wont attract people or zombies.

Good penetrating power within 200m.

Accurate and light on recoil.

Ammo is light, comes in large quantities and is everywhere.

It is the jack of all trades weapon, while it won't take out a player with one shot to the torso like the mosin a single shot to the head or heart would do the job.

• Like 1

Who would use such a puny weapon?

They've said M4's will become much harder to find, hopefully Mosins and Magnums as well. The draw to the .22 will become that it should be quiet in comparion (not a 'dinner bell' like the Mosin and Lee), and should be relatively common. Probably half the households in the US have a .22 of some sort in them and I can't imagine it is too much different in other parts of the world. They're cheap, very easy to use, and ammunition is plentiful and cheap. 

It's the perfect gun for a game like this.

It obviously wouldn't be the best weapon in the game, not even close, but it'll be something to protect yourself while looking for something better, and I'm sure some people go more for the immersion/role playing and probably wouldn't loot an M4 because they don't think it's "realistic".

Sure you can see the .22 as a gun for noobs but if any weapon in the game fits the survivors rifle its the 22.

It has all of the qualities to keep a person alive for long periods of time.

It has insanely low muzzle report so it wont attract people or zombies.

Good penetrating power within 200m.

Accurate and light on recoil.

Ammo is light, comes in large quantities and is everywhere.

It is the jack of all trades weapon, while it won't take out a player with one shot to the torso like the mosin a single shot to the head or heart would do the job.

Well, I dunno about "insanely low". I forgot to put my ear pro on before shooting once, and that was a mildly painful experience. And you can hear a .22 from quite a distance. It IS less noisy than bigger calibers, though, and thus much easier to suppress.

Edited by Rickenbacker

There's a pistol like this in Fallout New Vegas and it's terrible. I would never use it.

They should add better weapons first. There aren't even any shotguns or non-military handguns yet. Let's wait before adding exotic weird guns to fill out the inventory.

A .22 is weird and exotic? It is easily one of the most common rounds in the world, if not THE most common. A quality rifle chambered for .22lr can be picked up for under $300 and ammunition is about $25 for a box of 550 rounds. Every Walmart carries dozens of them. 

The .22 may be a lot of things, exotic is certainly not one of them. The only people who find a .22 exotic must be primarily Military Sim players like CoD and BF and have zero real world experience where you'd never see a a lower caliber weapon contained hundred of millions of homes across the world.

Edited by strngplyr

Well, I dunno about "insanely low". I forgot to put my ear pro on before shooting once, and that was a mildly painful experience. And you can hear a .22 from quite a distance. It IS less noisy than bigger calibers, though, and thus much easier to suppress.

You're correct on it still being quite noisy, but I've never fired one that was painful in anyways, but they are also VERY easy to suppress. You put a standard suppressor on a .22 and all you hear is the "click" of the firing pin really. Kinda like the MP5SD in DayZ mod.

It depends on the gun of course.

Pistols due to short barrels are sorta loud but 22 rifles especially with 16+ inches of barrel are quite low.

While still painful to the ear especially in a enclosed gun range it is much quieter than .223.

22's are nice and fun as hell to shoot. But I would not carry one as self defence. But as for a game, why not add it. it would be my zombie killer and my rifle would be for people.

There's a pistol like this in Fallout New Vegas and it's terrible. I would never use it.

They should add better weapons first. There aren't even any shotguns or non-military handguns yet. Let's wait before adding exotic weird guns to fill out the inventory.

Lmfao .22 exotic and weird.

i don't know how common are these 22 cal guns here in europe, never saw one. 
i'm sure tho that loads of shotguns/bolt action carbines are used heavily in hunt, where i live 50% of people use benelli's shotgun/carbines, they are cheap, but cool.
i would love to see benelli firearms in game, since i make the plastic parts of the nova and supernova :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CRA5xBsqYs

Awww this cutie! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34FyyGGBJwI

Edited by Paranoize
  • Like 1