gibonez

Lets talk about 22. lr

Who would use such a puny weapon?

someone who wants a VERY common weapon and ammo with very little recoil.

jufnut.jpg

Look at that tiny little bullet all the way on the left. Ewww, gross.

I doubt that little thing would even shave the hair off my head if it hit me right between the eyes.

Seriously, it's a cheap little bullet and right now we need something cool and amazing instead to attract customers to buy DayZ while it's in alpha development.

ok would you like me to shoot you with one? get that bigger is better state of mind out of your head. .22 LR is an awesome round, its verry common, has low recoil and ITS A BULLET you shoot it.

I really cant wait to see people fighting it out with 22lrs in dayz and since ammo comes in such huge quantities it would be pretty funny to see the prolonged firefights.

The high bullet drop combined with the inexperience of players with such weapons will be funny to watch first hand.

yeah, watching nubz shooting people with a .22 (thinking its a god gun because guns are so rare) from the other side of cherno putting their sights right on raging thinking WHY WONT THIS GUN HIT

ok would you like me to shoot you with one? get that bigger is better state of mind out of your head. .22 LR is an awesome round, its verry common, has low recoil and ITS A BULLET you shoot it.

10mm-1.jpg

Look at this ballistics test. Do you even see a .22 on there? No.

There's a reason for that.

10mm-1.jpg

energy_transfer_22LR.jpg

There u go.

1st off, ozelot, I can't help but to think you're a troll, #1 by the random hate for the .22lr being implemented and #2 most of your arguments seem intended to piss people off. Not trying to be offensive, but you ARE acting like a troll.

On topic: I'd love to see a .45 acp and .22 1911. Carry my .45 for protection, and the .22 for them zombies.

Edited by JESUSARIUS REX

Hello there

The this round vs that round for stopping power lethality argument has existed since before the beginnings of the net.

The main thrust of this thread is should .22lr or other be in game.

Almost any round can kill/incapacitate, heck if I stub my toe or get punched in the nose or tread on a plug/lego, I stop whatever Im doing.

It hurts.

Do .22 belong in dayz from an "semi realistic" view? Should the common round of choice be some Russian super round meant for breaching engine blocks but fired from a metal tube?

Or as was suggested before by a German chap (i think) as a more common round he has encountered in his hunting trips?

Lets stick to that. The other argument is eternal.

Rdgs

LoK

Well as I stated previously the Russians are the only guys to ever mass produce steel cased 22 ammunition. So the guns should be out there even if they are not "popular" which in itself is a touchy debate because 22's have a bad reputation in gun communities only because of it's size. See this thread as a prime example of the state of the 22. Then put it in the homeland of the legendary AK-47. Not many people are going to talk about their 22's when you have LOCAL competition with the nuggets/sks/ak platforms. Edited by mrscratch

its a valid point, .22 should be abundant in the dayz world...its just too common.

as for the people who say it cant harm you??

the beauty of .22lr is that it doesnt have the penetration power to make an exit wound, so a head shot leaves the bullet ricocheting around in your skull, insta death.

Same with the body, it may get logged pretty nicely in your leg, vs a .223 will just pierce cleanly and exit.

These guns would be great for filling the role the Winchester plays in the mod: ideal gun for friendlies. Plentiful ammo, relatively quiet, great for taking out zombies. Not so good for PvP. Just holding a .22 rather than a Mosin, for example, could say something about a player. Just like you react to someone with a Winnie differently to someone with a Lee.

Hello there

The this round vs that round for stopping power lethality argument has existed since before the beginnings of the net.

The main thrust of this thread is should .22lr or other be in game.

Almost any round can kill/incapacitate, heck if I stub my toe or get punched in the nose or tread on a plug/lego, I stop whatever Im doing.

It hurts.

Do .22 belong in dayz from an "semi realistic" view? Should the common round of choice be some Russian super round meant for breaching engine blocks but fired from a metal tube?

Or as was suggested before by a German chap (i think) as a more common round he has encountered in his hunting trips?

Lets stick to that. The other argument is eternal.

Rdgs

LoK

After doing some research I have found that several Russian gun manufacturers produce various .22 rifles and ammunition for hunting including Tula Arms. This coupled with the fact that the .22 has been the most produced and sold caliber in the world for the last two years would lead me to beleive that the .22 is just as popular with hunters in Russia/Eastern bloc countries than in the United States.

If you can jury rig a suppressor, then assuming the weapons/ammo are both 1) abundant (relatively) and 2) small in storage and 3) very quiet, then they're perfect zombie-killing sidearms. I'd use them a ton, because for zombies those are the only 3 metrics that are really important.

Even unsuppressed, a 22 Rifle is about 145 db vs ~165 db for a 16" .223 AR. So right off the bat, a 22 Rifle is about 100 times quieter than a .223 rifle. Even a rudimentary can will take that down to about 130 db and a good can will get you to around 120 db on a rifle.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=.22+hitmen

I don't know why you have to be such an anus about it when a simple search shows that it's pretty accepted that a silent killer greatly benefits from using .22 caliber weaponry. Way to make a mountain out of a molehill.

22 Pistols are NOT quiet. Even 22 rifles with 18" barrels are quite loud when fired indoors or in a semi-enclosed area.

The reason 22 pistols are preferred is because they are cheap, (more-or-less) reliable, readily available, and easily concealable. Anyone doing a serious "hit" gets rid of the gun as soon as possible after the killing, or just leaves it at the site of the killing The gun you're using only has to fire a single magazine/cylinder worth of ammo at most so no point in spending the time and money getting a high dollar weapon. The person is going to ambush their target from the back if at all possible with a shot to the head so long range accuracy is moot.

This is the .22 I wanna see xD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBAagmzI1eo

After the sandy hook incident some local gun store was trying to sell one of those for almost 600. If you want to see a nice 22 search for the ruger 10/22 with a slide fire. Some guys got his tweaked our so he can bump off 30 rounds with no issues

10mm-1.jpg

Poor logic. They are missing many other types of ammunition. Since you seem to just look for what you want to see then please take a look at this:

60 grain sub sonic sniper round (.22): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GwRgIpbflA

Two images of the same test. Watch the video for full effect. 

2eebyit.jpg

21cb0qw.jpg

22 LR CCI 40 grain Velocitor PLHP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFsDDgztf50

25jz0qe.jpg

Yeah... so um, what was that reason they didn't show .22 other than poor sampling? 

Edited by The_Man
  • Like 2

Poor logic. They are missing many other types of ammunition. Since you seem to just look for what you want to see then please take a look at this:

60 grain sub sonic sniper round (.22): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GwRgIpbflA

Two images of the same test. Watch the video for full effect. 

2eebyit.jpg

21cb0qw.jpg

22 LR CCI 40 grain Velocitor PLHP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFsDDgztf50

25jz0qe.jpg

Yeah... so um, what was that reason they didn't show .22 other than poor sampling? 

Because it sucks.

So you admit you made up the hitman thing, good. And no, actually, I'm not asking you make shit up, because you were the one who originally said it. You simply made shit up to begin with.

He did not make it up. It is a statement I have heard from a good number of years from many different sources. As has been stated the Israeli military employs its use. The mafia in New York were known for doing a double tap to the back of a persons head with a .22 when eliminating a person.

While not exactly proof it is covered in detail:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080818140047AA41Gc5 

Because it sucks.

It is extremely useful for its purpose. I suppose most people are just uninformed or just obsessed with large calibers. Glad to see they will be using the Ruger 10/22 in this game. Extremely accurate and will be a great addition to this game. 

• Like 1

Well people may think that these bullets are harmless, but if you think of it as a sub-sonic / nearly sub sonic 5.56 round its a different story. 

But on the other hand these small bullets wont be able to pennitrate tactical vests, As these appear to be body armor. Same will go for the balistic helmets.

I hope they do add these resistances into the game. Mind you its not all lost, you can still shoot the arms legs and face!

Maybe we can even see a bolt action .22 rifle capable of chambering .22 Magnum! A good point to keep a .22 as theese puppies travel up to 600 m/s So you can imagine a .22 LR x 3 damage. You will have a nice medium range marksman rifle there!

strelivo_22WMR_big.jpg

Edited by jamoy1993

DMR and MG42 please! A lot of them were made in that part of Europe anyway!

The first weapons I'd like to see now are decent semi-autos (like the SKS, but 7.62 instead), and especially the AK's. Both 7.62*39 and the AK-74 variant (5.45*39).

And functioning silencers.

As has been stated the Israeli military employs its use.

It began as a 'non-lethal crowd control’ weapon, used to “take out key protestors by shooting them in the legs.”

Apparently that didn't work out so well so they don't use them much anymore.

What are you talking about 22lr is insanely accurate.

Heck most competition guns are 22lr for a reason.

the-evil-thumbhole-943.jpg

Most 22 lr rifles are built for accuracy and come out fitted with bull barrels this is due to how popular they for plinking and target shooting.

The main reason so many target rifles and pistols are .22LR is that it's an incredibly cheap round, so you can get lots of practice in. Plus it's tiny, so it's seen as less dangerous in some countries. It's not very accurate or useful beyond 100m, even in rifle loads.

That said, I'd love to see some .22's in the game, as they're far more likely to be found in the hands of civilians than military sniper rifles. More .22's, and more hunting rifles in 6,5 and 7,62x45 (since this is in the former Eastern bloc after all).

And the Ruger Mk II isn't all that bad, it doesn't jam as long as you keep it clean. Doesn't need much dirt before it stops feeding properly, though, and it doesn't seem to like the cold much.

As a citizen of an ex Warsaw pact country and ex communist goverment I can say this.  In my country it is illegal to use this type of caliber in weapons other designed for competitions only. If you own a weapon that fires this caliber you can't use it for hunting. These are some of the calibers allowed for hunting in my country:

222Rem 5,6x43
223Rem 5,6x44,7
5,6x50®
5,6x52®
22/250 5,6x48,5
5,6x57®
243Win 6,16x51
6,5x57®
6,5x65®
6,5x68®
270Win 7,04x64,5
7x57®
7x64
7x65® 7,21x63,3
7mmRem.Magnum
308Win 7,62x51
30-06Springf. 7,62x63,3
30R Blaser 7,62x68
300Win.Magnum 7,62x66,5
8x57J®S
8x68S
338Win.Magnum 8,59x63,5
9,3x62
9,3x74®
9,3x64
375Hutt.Magnum 9,5x72
416Rem 10,57x72,4
404Rimless(Jeffrey) 10,75x73
458Win.Magnum 11,5x63,5

I am a hunter myself and I legally own a Remington-25 Modular or R-25 Modular that uses the .308 Win as ammo.

R-25.jpg
Its based of the AR-15 platform but designed to use a bigger a caliber.
Edited by raynor009
  • Like 1

The main reason so many target rifles and pistols are .22LR is that it's an incredibly cheap round, so you can get lots of practice in. Plus it's tiny, so it's seen as less dangerous in some countries. It's not very accurate or useful beyond 100m, even in rifle loads.

True, once upon a time they used to do biathlon with centrefire rifles at longer ranges, however safety, training and space considerations made them switch to the .22s a long time ago.

IMG_7836.jpg

00264641AAE93FC9D7E0.jpg

Everyone can easily tell when you're making things up when you make fabricated statements like this.

He's actually right. They are extremely deadly, especially up close, and very very quiet.