gibonez

Lets talk about 22. lr

But you haven't presented any. Calling people dumb also hurts your credibility.

The 40gr solid .22 caliber round travels at a velocity of 1080ft/s. At that velocity the round has more then enough penetration power to enter you body with 104 ft lbs of energy. After entering the body the round slows to about 60% of its normal velocity, not traveling fast enough anymore to exit the body. Upon entering the round can freely do as it pleases as it bounces around your innards shreading anything in its path. Source of info? Me I'm a gunsmith in Southern Indiana and Army Sniper Veteran with a deployment to Lashkar Gah Afghanistan with B-Co, 1-21 INF, 25th ID. Ballistics is my job. If you don't want to believe me? Whoop dee doo then. Go fuck off and bug someone else.

• Like 3

Maybe Dean could add a Cooey model 600? It's an older Canadian 22 bolt action. That or the CZ452 would be money. :D

The 40gr solid .22 caliber round travels at a velocity of 1080ft/s. At that velocity the round has more then enough penetration power to enter you body with 104 ft lbs of energy. After entering the body the round slows to about 60% of its normal velocity, not traveling fast enough anymore to exit the body. Upon entering the round can freely do as it pleases as it bounces around your innards shreading anything in its path. Source of info? Me I'm a gunsmith in Southern Indiana and Army Sniper Veteran with a deployment to Lashkar Gah Afghanistan with B-Co, 1-21 INF, 25th ID. Ballistics is my job. If you don't want to believe me? Whoop dee doo then. Go fuck off and bug someone else.

And out of that, how do you get that this is the most used round by hitmen in the world?

Seriously, how do we know you aren't just making more crap up?

• Like 1

They even make subsonic sniper rounds that have 120 ft lbs of energy with a 60gr bullet. Velocity is a little bit slower than the one you mentioned but it just strengthens your argument. I believe Aguilar makes these rounds. 

Edit: Here it is

20110908-P1000452.jpg

Edited by The_Man

Anyone saying .22 calibre is weak is either:

A. Uneducated

B. Capable of shooting his/herself dead whilst cleaning their own firearm

C. Telling porkie's

• Like 2

And out of that, how do you get that this is the most used round by hitmen in the world?

And you are someone that is just a troll now. I don't see anyone else deciding to try and pull of an argument that will literally go on forever. I'm not going to provide evidence for the Hitman thing because you want me to actually make shit up now. You saying that I need to provide evidence that's my own (as if I was interrogating Hitmen on a daily) without using outside resources is ridiculous. It's the equivalent of you saying you know 2+2 because you just know, and that no one taught you. However if you want the easy answer? Because you can pay 20-25 bucks and get 500 rounds. Shits easy to get a hold of. No one that wants someone dead is going to go pay 3-5 bucks for a round that is loud as shit and easily traceable, 22s are hard to trace, quite, and effective.

Ozelot, I want to tell you a story. So sit down and shut up for five seconds and maybe you'll learn something.

Last year in October a very close, personal friend of mine whom I had known since high school shot himself in the head with a .22 pistol. Now kindly shut the fuck up, because you have no idea what you are talking about. .22 rounds are just as deadly as any bullet and if you don't take them seriously, you are doing yourself a disservice. You should never, ever, underestimate a firearm. Regardless of the caliber.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 3

Anyone saying .22 calibre is weak is either:

It is relatively weak

However relatively weak doesn't mean ineffective or harmless

The only real advantage to using one for killing people would be because it's capable of being very quiet

Everyone can easily tell when you're making things up when you make fabricated statements like this.

You know who else makes fabricated statements like this? People who work in the Emergency Medical Service field.

It is relatively weak

The only real advantage to using one for killing people would be because it's capable of being very quiet

Relatively weak when compared to what? Penetration against armored targets? The round will absolutely destroy a human being because of it's design. Honestly you guys should review some ballistics reports before you talk about firearms in a real life setting.

No, sorry, that's not how it works. You have to support your argument with your own evidence. Looking it up means you don't have any.

Yes that is how it works. If you disagree with a fact then the burden of proof is on you to disprove it.

It is relatively weak

The only real advantage to using one for killing people would be because it's capable of being very quiet

Let us not forget that 22lr weapons can come into easily concealable delivery methods such as the pen guns used by mos-sad agents during the 70s.

• Like 1

Let us not forget that 22lr weapons can come into easily concealable delivery methods such as the pen guns used by mos-sad agents during the 70s.

Let's also not forget that in a zombie apocalypse, you would need lots of ammunition for killing zombies. Since .22lr is so small and lightweight, you can literally carry hundreds of rounds in your pockets at all times. It's a very advantageous caliber for this sort of job.

• Like 1

I'm not going to provide evidence for the Hitman thing because you want me to actually make shit up now.

So you admit you made up the hitman thing, good. And no, actually, I'm not asking you make shit up, because you were the one who originally said it. You simply made shit up to begin with.

Edited by Ozelot
  • Like 1

Relatively weak when compared to what? Penetration against armored targets? The round will absolutely destroy a human being because of it's design. Honestly you guys should review some ballistics reports before you talk about firearms in a real life setting.

Its design... :rolleyes: it was designed for target shooting and came out around 1887.

"Absolutely destroy a human being"

Yeah, no, any bullet to the vital areas will "absolutely destroy" a human being, a little 40-grain pill doesn't have any magical properties, yes it might bounce around once or twice inside a skull (or not) and it might veer off after entering a body, but a .357 or 9mm JHP doesn't have any need to bounce.

If this thing was so instantly lethal it would make a great deer cartridge, but it's not, and compared to high-velocity centrefire rifle cartridges, even without expanding ammunition, yes, it is weak.

• Like 2

You can survive .22 shots to the head, but it's pretty unlikely. However a well placed shot to the head will definitely kill instantly. 

There are many benefits to using a .22 as a handy alternative weapon.

• Quiet. Even when shooting indoors, the .22 is pretty quiet compared to other firearms
  • Ammo is very common
  • .22 rifles and pistols are also very common

The only disadvantages I can think of now is limited stopping power and weakness from long range shots.

Edited by Death Dealer

Its design... :rolleyes: it was designed for target shooting and came out around 1887.

Yeah, no, any bullet to the vital areas will "absolutely destroy" a human being, a little 40-grain pill doesn't have any magical properties, yes it might bounce around once or twice inside a skull (or not) and it might veer off after entering a body, but a .357 or 9mm JHP doesn't have any need to bounce.

If this thing was so instantly lethal it would make a great deer cartridge, but it's not, and compared to high-velocity centrefire rifle cartridges, even without expanding ammunition, yes, it is weak.

I would imagine killing a deer with a 22 lr would involve shooting it in the head or a vital area then tracking the suffering animal until it died.

It's not just the skull it's any bone. Once it hits the bone it looses all its velocity and more often then not it can not exit the skin. Or when hit from far away once it breaks through the first layer it loses the velocity to break the secondary layer. It won't kill you instantly, you die on the way to the hospital or in surgery when you have holes in multiple organs. Something like a 357 can easily just punch right through you which is really bad but can be salvaged. Thus it's usually dependent on shot placement just like any other gun. Also anything JHP is deadly on soft targets so I don't understand the significance of a 9mm. Hell even a 32 JHP will shred skin once it mushrooms.

Like I said take a step back and do a little bit of research when comparing weapons in a real life setting.

EDIT:

If we are going for realism with the local weapons, why are there so many M4A1s?

It's possible they want to cut down on the millions of AR-15 clones out there by just calling it a generic M4A1. The rifle is highly modifiable so chances are later down the road you wont be seeing so many default M4A1's everywhere and more-so AR's with random parts. Although I will agree the lack of a SKS or any AK platform is disturbing. Thank god we have a nugget though.

Edited by mrscratch

.22 is the only rifle ive ever used (marlin 25) having shot hundreds of rounds with it. I can safely state that even with my cheapy little scope if someone was aiming at me from a 100metres  or so i'd be shitting my pants. You can take that to the bank!.

Please give the .22 some love and respect it deserves  :)

jufnut.jpg

Look at that tiny little bullet all the way on the left. Ewww, gross.

I doubt that little thing would even shave the hair off my head if it hit me right between the eyes.

Seriously, it's a cheap little bullet and right now we need something cool and amazing instead to attract customers to buy DayZ while it's in alpha development.

lol ozelot is being silly, the .22 is neither exotic nor harmless. 

although lol - my dad went to shoot a bull when i was younger, he accidentally took a .22, and he ended up giving the bull a bald patch between the eyes, as the bullets wouldn't penetrate the skull. 

that being said, i really see no reason why the .22 shouldn't be added. it's a very common round, and while it shouldn't be given special attention, i don't think it should be ignored. Especially on the basis of it not being cool enough, that's just dumb.

SA needs more weapons in general, and a focus should be on civilian weapons, with very rare military weapons. In fact, military weapons are so obvious they aren't cool, or amazing. Every fps gives you the opportunity to use military weapons, not many give you the opportunity or the need to use a wide variety of civilian weapons.

SA sold so many units i would really think the devs have the freedom to make the interesting game they'd planned, rather than a cashgrab with zombies, the game is estimated to have a year until beta, meaning they aren't desperate for sales at all.   

.22 -1 

ozelot - 0

• Like 1

It's not just the skull it's any bone. Once it hits the bone it looses all its velocity and more often then not it can not exit the skin. Or when hit from far away once it breaks through the first layer it loses the velocity to break the secondary layer. It won't kill you instantly, you die on the way to the hospital or in surgery when you have holes in multiple organs.

I never said it was only the skull. It is not a bouncy-ball that will ricochet several times, like I said, maybe once, perhaps even twice, but glancing off bone is not something you want when trying to kill something. In many cases it can fail to penetrate the skull in the first place.

Something like a 357 can easily just punch right through you which is really bad but can be salvaged. Thus it's usually dependent on shot placement just like any other gun. Also anything JHP is deadly on soft targets so I don't understand the significance of a 9mm. Hell even a 32 JHP will shred skin once it mushrooms.

A well placed shot with a .357 >>> a well-placed shot with a .22 LR, although both might have the same end result. A 9mm provides greater margin of error, a .32 doesn't expand as much and has bullets roughly half the weight which don't typically penetrate as far and are probably more likely to be clogged up by heavy clothing.

Like I said take a step back and do a little bit of research when comparing weapons in a real life setting.

And the same to you... I never said .22 LR was harmless, in fact I had just said it was not to be underestimated. However it is still "relatively weak" and will not cause as much destruction as many of the more powerful handgun cartridges with expanding bullets, never mind full-power centrefire rifle cartridges. Any of those could easily kill someone but if you present me with a .22 pistol, a .357 revolver and a .243 rifle I know which two I would rather not be hit by.

It seems that there will be a .22 in the game thanks to the information Gews posted. 

Who would want makeshift silencers made out of plastic bottles, duct tape and some other items in DayZ? 

• Like 1

There is so much trolling going on here. FoamNinja, I salute your deadpan delivery. Everybody else needs to run a sarchasm check before firing off angry rebuttals.