SmashT

November Round-up

Well, you have to consider that the zombies are really just infected people. They don't appear to want to "bite", so much as they just want to harm things aggressively (a la 28 Days Later infected). Now, granted, they do huddle around your corpse and munch on you a bit to feed. But I don't think biting is their primary form of interaction, and nor are they motivated by the Romero-esque evisceration which would leave piles of blood and guts everywhere.

I think the mass graves are interesting. But, like I said in a post a while back about making DayZ feel a bit more "apocalyptic", it shouldn't be about adding more "gore" necessarily in that it should always have a context. A pile of dead zombies in front of a military blockade makes sense. Random splatters of blood on a house, don't necessarily make sense. Now, if you would put a few huddled corpses in an attic or something, that would have a tentative background. Or perhaps a line of uninfected human bodies around what was once an evacuation point.

It's not about gore for me, it's about making the world feel "lived in" and that something actually went down in Chernarus prior to our characters spawning.

• Like 3

*snip*

Now, granted, they do huddle around your corpse and munch on you a bit to feed. But I don't think biting is their primary form of interaction, and nor are they motivated by the Romero-esque evisceration which would leave piles of blood and guts everywhere.

*snip*

Random splatters of blood on a house, don't necessarily make sense. Now, if you would put a few huddled corpses in an attic or something, that would have a tentative background. Or perhaps a line of uninfected human bodies around what was once an evacuation point.

It's not about gore for me, it's about making the world feel "lived in" and that something actually went down in Chernarus prior to our characters spawning.

snip1: If they have any compulsion to bite then it should be a somewhat common "attack" but the way I see it they would only do so more frequently to weakened, prone, or subdued (if they add grabbing for zeds) characters. I am aware they are infected and not undead but that doesn't make them not cannibals (which they obviously are in the mod). When you watched zeds scooping up your guts in the mod, were they damaging you with that animation? (Anecdote: People often forget the original zombies were Voodoo "undead" that were controlled by a shaman. Voodoo zombie > Meteor zombie > biological/chemical undead zombie > biological/chemical rage zombies.)

snip2: My thoughts on gore were simply to illustrate the fact that the original infection played out in a very bloody fashion. When 10% of the population turns and starts murdering people, there should be quite a bit of leftover evidence inside and outside of houses. If it were tastefully done I think it would add well to the ambiance of DayZ.

• Like 1

they should do the mechanism like in the move the world war z - where zombies lose interest in weakened humans.  So a group of zombies gang bang you but they stop after you become "unhealthy" and leave you alone to go crawl away and try to heal.

they should do the mechanism like in the move the world war z - where zombies lose interest in weakened humans.  So a group of zombies gang bang you but they stop after you become "unhealthy" and leave you alone to go crawl away and try to heal.

I hope you are alone with that opinion.

mwy17c.gif

• Like 1

The Z's in WWZ  only had no interest in people with terminal illness... ie they were dying, and their genetics could only harm the pathogen 

Did Rocket recently say that they currently only had 1000 zeds working stable? So it went from 3000... to 2000 and now 1000?

Did Rocket recently say that they currently only had 1000 zeds working stable? So it went from 3000... to 2000 and now 1000?

1000 with performance way above the minimum they're looking for.

• Like 1

They massively increased the workforce, so hopefully we'll see a massive increase with regards to progress from now on as well.

The next test on the server should be a good indicator for impending good or bad news.

We must be patient and expect nothing but good ones.

ae89669156ce5f5820944e6e34073723274f3927

Edited by Grabarz

exactly.

probably the alpha will be with 100 zeds, 10 players and 1 item....but hey, at least we get holding a compass in our hands instead of just pressing key for HUD popup.

no srsly. they need to release soon, otherwise it will be a joke, tho for some it already is.

so in the "end" they will do anything to bring out a somehow working version against their statements of "quality".

PS: never, ever believe what rocket says. u will be disappointed and feeling decieved. because in most cases its garbage changing from week to week.

PSS: and it really is funny when a lot of people still comment on rockets posts with the attitude:" oh yeah, im so wet, u make me horny rocket. keep that "great" work up u lustful awesome programer"

Edited by BongomanConk

PSS: and it really is funny when a lot of people still comment on rockets posts with the attitude:" oh yeah, im so wet, u make me horny rocket. keep that "great" work up u lustful awesome programer"

Welcome to the world of Game Development! Things change every week! Shocker, I know.

• Like 1

Players generate breadcrumbs even when they are not target to any zombie. Initial path could be constructed from part of that trail that is not obstructed by any other objects

339kfh0.jpg

• Like 1

snip

Q: I thought finalizing the flow into game wasn't going to hold back the release?

Finalizing the flow wasn't holding things up until the new R-Tree implementation identified that disconnecting clients character brain and inventory were not cleaned up properly. This is causing crashes and instability - and a great deal of report spam. I find it insufferable that people instantly assume I am lying whenever something doesn't match their desired world view. It's also not necessarily holding things up, we have to achieve the target and we're following multiple paths of resolution. Finalizing the flow wasn't holding things up until the new R-Tree implementation identified that disconnecting clients character brain and inventory were not cleaned up properly. This is causing crashes and instability - and a great deal of report spam. I find it insufferable that people instantly assume I am lying whenever something doesn't match their desired world view. It's also not necessarily holding things up, we have to achieve the target and we're following multiple paths of resolution. [source]

snip

Same paragraph twice. Am I the only one who actually read the text?  :huh:

• Like 1

So yesterday we witnessed something that may have been an automated stability test, and today is the usual day for the weekly MP test. Could it be the "dress rehearsal" we've been waiting for?

exactly.

probably the alpha will be with 100 zeds, 10 players and 1 item....but hey, at least we get holding a compass in our hands instead of just pressing key for HUD popup.

no srsly. they need to release soon, otherwise it will be a joke, tho for some it already is.

so in the "end" they will do anything to bring out a somehow working version against their statements of "quality".

PS: never, ever believe what rocket says. u will be disappointed and feeling decieved. because in most cases its garbage changing from week to week.

Shut up ass. You don't know what you are talking about. The mod can already do 500 zombies, so your conjecture is completely baseless. Rocket has never lied about what the product is. Must I go and find every reference where he says "If you don't like the standalone, don't buy it" or, "it's alpha, so it won't be finished," or, "this is what we hope to accomplish" or "the zombies are very much a work in progress." There is no deceit here, Bongoman... or should I call you Sergei?

Dean has been very clear about his expectations, progress, and even his failures. That's a lot more than you can ask of any other game developer, period. There are no "false screenshots," there are no lies to raise expectations. Dean has even said that he would rather have a soft launch, and that profit is really not an issue when it comes to the release of this game. People are excited because they are excited. Rocket isn't trying to hype people up, nor has he ever tried to. People just read into things and get excited for the future. That's human nature. People also get disappointed because of their own failure to manage their own expectations. So why don't you go manage your own expectations, far away from here. We don't need this type of idiotic slander on the forums. Just because you are too lazy to actually read what he has to say, then jump on the hype train, then get disappointed, does not make Dean Hall a liar. It makes you dumb. Just sayin'.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 19

Shut up ass. You don't know what you are talking about. The mod can already do 500 zombies, so your conjecture is completely baseless. Rocket has never lied about what the product is. Must I go and find every reference where he says "If you don't like the standalone, don't buy it" or, "it's alpha, so it won't be finished," or, "this is what we hope to accomplish" or "the zombies are very much a work in progress." There is no deceit here, Bongoman... or should I call you Sergei?

Dean has been very clear about his expectations, progress, and even his failures. That's a lot more than you can ask of any other game developer, period. There are no "false screenshots," there are no lies to raise expectations. Dean has even said that he would rather have a soft launch, and that profit is really not an issue when it comes to the release of this game. People are excited because they are excited. Rocket isn't trying to hype people up, nor has he ever tried to. People just read into things and get excited for the future. That's human nature. People also get disappointed because of their own failure to manage their own expectations. So why don't you go manage your own expectations, far away from here. We don't need this type of idiotic slander on the forums. Just because you are too lazy to actually read what he has to say, then jump on the hype train, then get disappointed, does not make Dean Hall a liar. It makes you dumb. Just sayin'.

AMEN ! :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:

AMEN ! :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:

There is probably a gif for that

I am in awe. Thank you.

Best qoute of the night. Period. It is also the message I would like to send to the rest of the idiots who come on spouting off like they know what is going on around here.

Here's a fact check for you, no you do not, and you need to put a cork in it.

We come here to discuss with useful information, not sit there like a spoiled brat and bitch.

Edited by zfleming12
  • Like 1