SmashT

October Round-up: #DayZDaily

I've taken it upon my self to skip and only read what admins say because there's too many retards, and If I attempt to talk to one I get warned so.... yeah.

200-300 zombies in the mod. 3000 in SA. Yep, going to be nothing like the mod's play style/KOS cause you'll be eaten by 400 zombies at once when you shoot. Sounds amazing!!!!!

Yeah, it will really put an emphasis on stealth, melee gameplay and Silenced weapons.

Edited by sabre05

200-300 zombies in the mod. 3000 in SA. Yep, going to be nothing like the mod's play style/KOS cause you'll be eaten by 400 zombies at once when you shoot. Sounds amazing!!!!!

I hope not I liked the quiet tension building of the game ( I say that from only watching streams) Fair enough if you go in a town but please if you kill 100 Zombies as a team don’t just have a ever repeating spawn system to keep them coming.

I liked the idea that if you killed a zombie it spawned on another part of the map that did not have players and in fact they would roam the map instead of de-spawn, re spawn.

You could use them tactically, I’m sure someone would try to lead Zombies in a group into a area to cause anarchy knowing non friendly players were there.

Edited by sav112

I think the dev team doesn't rest much at all until this Alpha gets pushed out.

I know if I was working on a game of such extraordinary magnitude I would eat, sleep, shit, and piss DayZ.

I would have started seeing UI over reality ages ago.

I don't see how adding an audio man now is a bad sign. Audio can be updated after a release like everything else.

I would love to see a lot of thought put into the audio for the Zombies.

A large range of sound profiles depending on the state/alertness the Zombie is in would be great.

• Like 6

I hope not I liked the quiet tension building of the game ( I say that from only watching streams) Fair enough if you go in a town but please if you kill 100 Zombies as a team don’t just have a ever repeating spawn system to keep them coming.

I liked the idea that if you killed a zombie it spawned on another part of the map that did not have players and in fact they would roam the map instead of de-spawn, re spawn.

You could use them tactically, I’m sure someone would try to lead Zombies in a group into a area to cause anarchy knowing non friendly players were there.

What?

Zombies won't spawn in an area you've just cleaned out until you leave it. So for example. You're in Elektro. On your own (Never happens other than a server with 3 people on). You kill all the zombies there. You won't see another zombie unless it's of a roaming hoard. There won't be endless waves of zombies.

I would love to see a lot of thought put into the audio for the Zombies.

A large range of sound profiles depending on the state/alertness the Zombie is in would be great.

Yeah, and maybe since they're infected humans we can hear them coughing and such, and if in an idle state, they can stop shuffling and vomit like L4D every now and then.
Edited by sabre05

Scripted allows ~100 zombies, same as the mod in which they are locally controlled by clients.

Native engine allows ~3000 zombies, all controlled on the server.

currently in the CBD of Cherno (there are four areas of cherno now), there spawns approx ~300 zombies

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1ppaof/new_enginebased_zombies_are_a_success_dayzdaily/cd4ludh

November Round-Up...maybe?

Edited by joe_mcentire

I was thinking the same thing yesterday...this feels like its getting a bit....stalkerish...o.O

Did someone say stalker!?

*ten minute rant about S.T.A.L.K.E.R*

• Like 1

And I would love to see those zombies with their eyes, ears and lungs popped like the Walking dead infected.

flu-zombie.jpg

What?

Zombies won't spawn in an area you've just cleaned out until you leave it. So for example. You're in Elektro. On your own (Never happens other than a server with 3 people on). You kill all the zombies there. You won't see another zombie unless it's of a roaming hoard. There won't be endless waves of zombies.

Yeah, and maybe since they're infected humans we can hear them coughing and such, and if in an idle state, they can stop shuffling and vomit like L4D every now and then.

That's what I'm saying! In the Mod do they just not keep coming?

Edited by sav112

Game so close November thread not needed!

Would just be overshadowed by the "It's Finally Happened" threads that will post flood.

*Throws another bucket of gasoline on the speculation fire.

And I would love to see those zombies with their eyes, ears and lungs popped like the Walking dead infected.

flu-zombie.jpg

Wouldn't fit into the game. They are no zombies, they are infected people. If their lung is popped, they are dead.

• Like 2

Well, one: Sound design is not really vital in terms of pushing an alpha out. Two: It's going to be an alpha, it doesn't need immense sound design. They're planning that for beta/release. Three: What's it to you? It will have no effect on the performance of the Alpha come release, it won't prevent them from releasing the alpha and it sure as fuck doesn't have anything to do with you.

There's been no mention of much as of late. Doesn't mean they're sitting around in the office twiddling their thumbs and playing Monopoly. Again, it will be an ALPHA so don't expect the Zombie AI to be top notch. Worst case scenario we get the Zombie AI from the Mod. Deal with it. OR Don't buy into the alpha. It's that simple. 

You're quick to do the same. You're shitting on Dean because he's done things differently to what others do. You don't know him. All you know is he isn't a brilliant public speaker and you're one of the firsts to fling your shit in his direction saying he should shut the fuck up and BI should hire a public speaker etc. And then you damn near get on your knees and give a blowjob to someone who thinks like yourself. Hypocrisy thy name is you.

Sound design to me IS important there have been times in this development where this could have easily been started. What's it to do with ME ? Drop your childish attacking attitude it's not working. It has plenty to do with any person that comes to this Forum. 

"Worst case scenario we get the Zombie AI from the Mod" NO that isnt the worst fucking case, the worst case is what Dean alluded to which is NO fucking Zombies in the release.and is what I talked about.

"You're quick to do the same. You're shitting on Dean because he's done things differently to what others do." No I'm making a point and one that he clearly admits that at times he is very much out of his depth as a lead game Developer and it shows with many many mistakes being made.

"You don't know him. All you know is he isn't a brilliant public speaker" HUH ? All I know, well I dont think he is a brilliant Public Speaker in anyway shape or form, I will break it down as to why if you would like.

"And then you damn near get on your knees and give a blowjob to someone who thinks like yourself. " What are you on about ? A blowjob you fucking serious ?

Seriously are you new to dealing with other people ?

*snippy*

Was wondering when this was gonna come up, 'hey they should make it so we can get diseased from zombies' followed by a post of mine that just says /facepalm.

Glad to know your post wasn't facepalm worthy, but if they succumbed to their infection they would be dead (and not undead like Walking Dead Type Zombies).  If certain zombies showed symptoms that would be cool.

That's what I'm saying! In the Mod do they just not keep coming?

No, not really. 20-30 spawn around you within a 200 meter radius, they might follow you for a long while or run from afar when they hear gunshots, but they're certainly not endless.

Atleast noone is going to cry like "OMG NO ZOMBIE IN A ZOMBIE GAME?!" anymore.

Edited by Quanaril
  • Like 1

No, not really. 20-30 spawn around you within a 200 meter radius, they might follow you for a long while or run from afar when they hear gunshots, but they're certainly not endless.

I'm pretty sure they respawn if you kill all of them. I usually leave one of the crawling caterpillar zeds alive to avoid it.

The "I read this on Reddit" line is getting old.

Reading and believing anything on Reddit, is like believing everything you read on the internet. And people who swear that Reddit is legit, needs to have their gene pool cleaned with bleach.

Seriously have some sense and get your facts from the DayZ forums.

Edited by Curgon
  • Like 3

I think they'll have to find a balance.

I really enjoy stealth, and miss it from the early days. But I also enjoy firing my weapon from time to time. So, I think it needs to be approached carefully. I think, for starters, zombies need not have 100% omniscience of your exact location. If I fire a weapon in a town, those zombies don't have direct line of sight or direct auditory detection. So why is it then okay for them to converge on my EXACT location and home in on me regardless of whether I move or not? I think that an "area" effect needs to be implemented, akin to police in a game like GTA. Where the zombies are prompted to explore a general area, and only when certain circumstances are met (direct line of sight, proximity audio, or another gunshot) then they have knowledge of your exact position. This could be further offset by extending the overall range which zombies can hear gunshots, but decreasing their ability to have immediate access to your exact position.

That and I think, at least with the current mod paradigm, too much emphasis is placed on the zombies hearing you rather than seeing you. In my opinion, they are entirely too dependent on you making noise. I remember Rocket saying that their eyesight isn't so good, but their auditory perception is what they rely on. That's fine, but you have to then appropriate those qualities in-game in a manner that makes sense. Things like crawling prone in a building, or even just kneeling carefully, still trigger zombies when you're making as little noise possible without being static. Point being, as per the mod, you can't even really be stealthy even if you wanted to. I think that needs to be looked at again.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

The "I read this on Reddit" line is getting old.

Reading and believing anything on Reddit, is like believing everything you read on the internet. And people who swear that Reddit is legit, needs to have their gene pool cleaned with bleach.

Seriously have some sense and get your facts from the DayZ forums.

It would make the most sense to get the facts from Rocket, and Rocket mostly communicates through reddit.

Most info on these forums are C+Ped from over there, I think this is why people, including yours truly, joke a bit about it occasionally.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 5

SteamDB:

Last Record Update5 minutes ago (November 1, 2013 – 20:14:45 UTC)

http://www.game-monitor.com/dayz_GameServer/37.220.18.218:27016/DayZ_Steam_Testing_Server-.html

Forth update today! Seems as if they're fine tuning for release? #itshappening

As much as I would like to say "It's happenising", I can't They're regularly update several times a day. Presumably to do hotfixes or minor patches. As a result I deem this insufficient evidence as to it actually habbening. Sorry.

• Like 1

SteamDB:

Last Record Update5 minutes ago (November 1, 2013 – 20:14:45 UTC)

http://www.game-monitor.com/dayz_GameServer/37.220.18.218:27016/DayZ_Steam_Testing_Server-.html

Forth update today! Seems as if they're fine tuning for release? #itshappening

2 players on the server out of 156

156 players on 1 server that's an army

So has 3000 on the server not been possible until now? Because '3000' was raised back in the March video/Devblog and they gave the impression it was working.