SmashT

October Round-up: #DayZDaily

I don't think so.  What makes you think something happened?

Someone said something along the lines of "the good news about SA lately". I think they must've meant "rampant speculation" in place of "good news".

It's called realism.

Totally agree. I think DayZ is not suited for people whose preference is to be a control freak, i.e. who are playing games in order to be at least good at something. What the majority of people seem to want from a game is to be able to win by being the fastest or most experienced player. Or even thrashier like in Payday, where you can suck all you want and still win!

Some will ask: Well, what can be wrong about a little success after a shitty day. But there are thousands of titles out there, which give you just that! And almost none which give you that feeling of danger and fear, because you can actually loose it all and which actually let you be inside the character.

In games like this one things can and are supposed to go wrong from time to time and even IF you are creative and clever and have a good team, things should be able to go wrong, just because of the human factor.

I would absolutely love to see things like stamina. Actually, there should be a whole bio-system! And not a bar that just goes down until exhaustion and one that goes up in case of a pulse meter. Of course it could be displayed like that, but there should also be other things having influence. For example one should count in adrenalin as a major factor that is having a huge effect on bodily functions and power. I think a ongoing discussion about that would be great...or had there been one before?

As I said, things SHOULD go wrong from time to time just as in life...until this is not happening, the game misses part of its purpose for me. However, I do understand that things like a bio-system need to be properly balanced, otherwise too much complexity can make it less playable and fun.

Yeah that can't be right, I bunny-hop all the time during paintball...

No joke, one time during Paintball, a friend of mine were rushing past this hallway that was under an exchange of fire. My friend and I decided to rush across, and in the process, he made this strange jump-roll thing that managed to get him across and get me out (I was running to the left of him, so obviously anything that hit him would shield me, little did I know that backfired).

True story.

I would assume, and swear to god I've heard Rocket mention it before, that the "stamina" system will at least function differently than it does in the mod.

As to the statement above, yes, there should be wildcards. But that shouldn't (and I'm aware that this may not be your intent by implication) override a dutiful player who takes his or her time. What I mean by that is, certain things shouldn't be insurmountable. Even things which are out of the player's control, should be able to be mitigated through proper preparation.

For example, <insert rapidly onsetting natural disaster here> should be able to be managed by someone who's got <insert appropriate survival gear here>. Or, more specifically, massive snowstorm should be able to be countered by player who has shelter/fire/clothing. It's not a statement of certainty, but even the unexpected can be prepared for. You're still at the whims of your own foresight and it should always be up to you how or how well you handle a situation.

Sort of why I've never had any pity for people getting killed on the coast or at NWAF, you know what you're likely to get in to when you go to these places... it's your choice and your own flaws/strengths that will dictate whether or not you succeed/fail.

To put that in the perspective of DayZ, things like "zombie sense" shouldn't be all-powerful. That doesn't mean they can't be unforgiving, brutal, and difficult. I've discussed this before, but making zombies a very dangerous threat also needs to be accompanied by a thoughtful treatment of mitigating factors. Like "stealth", whereby zombies can be regularly avoided by crawling/prone. This is a fairly rudimentary example, but you understand my meaning of having wildcards and tough situations, but always favoring the careful and considerate survivalist.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Your picture is scary and cool at the same time. Why're you doing this, sir?

lol

This is the latest tweet from this Russian SA tester:

A guy asked the tester, "@artsnoww How has it been determined that it (the SA) is getting closer to being released?"

And the Russian tester's reply is, "@Viktor_Dotsenko Trust me."

#IIDS #HABBENING

#HEKNOWSTHERELEASEDATE

#PANIC

#DISBELIEF

#HATRED

#REMORSE

• Like 1

Your picture is scary and cool at the same time. Why're you doing this, sir?

lol

This is the latest tweet from this Russian SA tester:

A guy asked the tester, "@artsnoww How has it been determined that it (the SA) is getting closer to being released?"

And the Russian tester's reply is, "@Viktor_Dotsenko Trust me."

#IIDS #HABBENING

#HEKNOWSTHERELEASEDATE

#PANIC

#DISBELIEF

#HATRED

#REMORSE

we must kidnap and interrogate him now

Why's this "Chosen One" alpha tester doing this to us? Is this how he gets out of his responsibilities, is this how he act?

Bailbondshhh

Just because John red the receipt wrong to you, you taking some kind of drugs or drinking?

Come to my office!

• Like 1

Bailbondshhh

Just because John red the receipt wrong to you, you taking some kind of drugs or drinking?

Come to my office!

Haha! Finally somebody gets the reference!

Why-why're you doing thishshh, sir? It's that Chrishshhh again. lol I love that man

Haha! Finally somebody gets the reference!

Why-why're you doing thishshh, sir? It's that Chrishshhh again. lol I love that man

You want to give me your name and number and i'll give it to the police?

I I dont understand why Chrissshh is such an asshole

Oh whats

You want to give me your name and number and i'll give it to the police?

I I dont understand why Chrissshh is such an asshole

Oh whats

Don't call your house anymore, you're talking to my plant!

Just say "hi, Fred" and I'll know this isn't a recording--just say "hi, Fred".

Edited by HumanBeing25

what I am saying is that a slower pace in combat or similar situations is more realistic than sprinting and jumping and running around all the time....you just sprint when you absolutely have to ...and  that's the way it should be in non casual games...

Yes, that is maybe common for real combat game like Arma 3. But this is zombie apocalypse, you are being chased by zombies not by human with mad gun (atleast what we expect to be in DayZ SA). And so on, to save your life you have to run like a fool, not just casually jog near them. 

You are not making a good point even in war combat. Have you ever seen a solider casually jogging from cover to cover under enemy sniper/machine gun/infantry fire? I don`t think so. They must run to save their lifes. 

However, in DayZ you are a common citizen not professional trained solider, so you don`t have mad skills with guns and you can fight like them. Not even close. I think there should even be some kind of skill scale. Firstly when you find a gun, you should be accurate about 20-40% on target, and by time you should gain skill of shoting.

Because, once more, DayZ is not PvP or PvE or whatever based. It`s a survival game where players fight mainly zombies, then hunger, thirst, cold etc and last the humans.   

I think there should even be some kind of skill scale. Firstly when you find a gun, you should be accurate about 20-40% on target, and by time you should gain skill of shooting.

This is a horrible idea.

However, in DayZ you are a common citizen not professional trained solider, so you don`t have mad skills with guns and you can fight like them. Not even close.

With that logic women characters in SA should have 50% worse vehicle handling skills than men.

// haha I couldn't resist

You act like firing a gun with accuracy is rocket science, it's not.

Edited by SomebodyEpic
  • Like 1

Because, once more, DayZ is not PvP or PvE or whatever based. It`s a survival game where players fight mainly zombies, then hunger, thirst, cold etc and last the humans.   

If you're talking the mod, then your list is way off.

If you're talking hypothetical SA hierarchies, maybe. I'd prefer it if zombies were the primary threat, humans second, then the environmental actors (which is not to suggest that they won't be a threat, I want them to be far more significant than in the mod), and lastly bugs (because I die far more due to bugs than I do players in the mod).

Also, it's worth considering that "humans/bandits/whatever" might not be an apt category to include in the same list as zombies and environmental factors. The latter two are ambient game systems, even zombies. Humans have their own volition and variables, so you'd have to place the onus of threat on the individual rather than a reductionist "average hostility" of other players.

Edited by Katana67

If you're talking the mod, then your list is way off.

If you're talking hypothetical SA hierarchies, maybe. I'd prefer it if zombies were the primary threat, humans second, then the environmental actors (which is not to suggest that they won't be a threat, I want them to be far more significant than in the mod), and lastly bugs (because I die far more due to bugs than I do players in the mod).

Also, it's worth considering that "humans/bandits/whatever" might not be an apt category to include in the same list as zombies and environmental factors. The latter two are ambient game systems, even zombies. Humans have their own volition and variables, so you'd have to place the onus of threat on the individual rather than a reductionist "average hostility" of other players.

TL:DR. Just sayin'
  • Like 1

This is a horrible idea.

With that logic women characters in SA should have 50% worse vehicle handling skills than men.

// haha I couldn't resist

You act like firing a gun with accuracy is rocket science, it's not.

The idea was just a tought, ofcourse it would be horrible to have that in game. 

Ok, in one case, like hunting rifles, pistolc etc you can learn how to shoot more easily, but not with a AS50 for example. Also I wasn`t talking just about shooting, I was talking about combat, you surely can`t fight like a solider. 

btw. Justice for women drivers :D :D

@Katana67 - ofcourse I was talking about SA, not about mod. Mod became Arma wasteland months ago. 

Yes, that is maybe common for real combat game like Arma 3. But this is zombie apocalypse, you are being chased by zombies not by human with mad gun (atleast what we expect to be in DayZ SA). And so on, to save your life you have to run like a fool, not just casually jog near them. 

You are not making a good point even in war combat. Have you ever seen a solider casually jogging from cover to cover under enemy sniper/machine gun/infantry fire? I don`t think so. They must run to save their lifes. 

However, in DayZ you are a common citizen not professional trained solider, so you don`t have mad skills with guns and you can fight like them. Not even close. I think there should even be some kind of skill scale. Firstly when you find a gun, you should be accurate about 20-40% on target, and by time you should gain skill of shoting.

:D  yap soldiers in combat situations are sprinting for cover or to cross open ground as quick as possible etc etc...but they are not sprinting all the time since the ability to sprint especially fully geared is very limited even for trained soldiers ...beside this during sprinting your are not able to scan your surroundings properly, you can not aim properly and there is also a high risk of tripping...

I never suggested to remove sprinting completely...but to make things more realistic and challenging it should be handled by a proper stamina system ...

• Like 1

as long as movement is handled the same way as in the mod ( be able to run non stop and be able to outrun zeds) gameplay will nearly stay  the same as right now...starting at Kamenka...running to Balota Airfield...running to Cherno...running to Stary and then running to NW Airfield...no break need..only some water and a can of beans maybe...with less guns and ammo in the SA you could do that  even more safely...

• Like 2

Read this on the FAQ thingy for SteamDB, so it's neat, and I'll keep my hopes up, with a whole pound of salt though, so I don't get butthurt if it doesn't come out soon.

It'd probably for the better.

"Does this mean that when new entries are recorded in the history denoting nothing but a "changenumber" change

For un-released apps, like the one you linked, the app is still private, and we can't see what actually changed, because we have no access to the data.

For release apps, sometimes changes are on Valve's end (e.g. store/community), which are the changes in something we don't monitor/have no access to."

Edited by RawR_Rampancy

all the people who thought 28th of october would be release day..its 28th today and no news, no release.

guess you were wrong :D

It's 2pm. I'll give them a couple more hours then I will lose interest forever and take up another hobby. Dancing maybe.

• Like 3