SmashT

October Round-up: #DayZDaily

What is the situation with blood types? It´s good idea to have 1 blood type to be immune against virus. AB negative  have about 1% of population.

That's a clever idea, but I think having different blood-types would make the game more interesting. 

I don't think blood transfusions will be your standard health pack anymore, so they should be daunting for the unexperienced medic. 

• Like 1

Im betting the alpha wont release till next year.

Remember what happened last time Dean went into hiding?

Its not good news.

• Like 3

Im betting the alpha wont release till next year.

Remember what happened last time Dean went into hiding?

Its not good news.

could be true...however he's not silent this time. (see OP)

Looks like a completely new town. I've always loved Polana, now seems there's even more reasons to love it. I wish they would post a photo of one of the airfields. 

I also noticed that there aren't any evergreen trees to hide from zeds under. Looks great. Can't wait to play the damn thing.

As to the towns being made more relevant, sure, I think overall this will be good.

But I think a word of caution is in order. I like villages that are small and on the periphery, like Myshkino. Making these villages more relevant, while at the same time preserving their quaint and limited nature is important to me. Making them loot "destinations" certainly isn't the right way to do this, which is why I like that they're more focusing on residential housing. At the same time, though, with the Polana screens we've just seen... they seem to be just adding buildings rather than making towns unique. They certainly look good though, don't get me wrong, I just wish to voice a bit of caution.

This is way down the line, but ultimately what I think would be the best approach for making villages/towns relevant is to add some sort of barricade/fortification system to residential buildings as well as the ability to clear a town of zombies for some time. Simply having small towns available to be looted doesn't make them relevant, as now most places will spawn loot in SA. Imagine coming up on a small deserted hamlet and finding a boarded up house, which you could either break in to or interact with people who might be inside. I've fleshed this idea out more in other threads, so please don't bumrush me with scrupulous analysis. Likewise, imagine approaching a small town via a wooded road, only to find a foreboding (manned or unmanned) checkpoint with skulls and "TURN BACK" signs 500m away from the village which has been secured and fortified by a clan.

Also, I think this unfortunately will be the case, I've seen a lot of the player map screens from SA which show the previously unpopulated north being filled in with towns and roads. Chernarus isn't -that- big once you've filled in all the blanks, and I really want a wild frontier to be preserved to some degree.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 6

You can clear town from xombies

I had heard that about SA. But I was more keying in on the qualifier of "for some time", meaning that the spawning of zombies would stop for X amount of time once the game recognizes an area has been purposefully cleared for Y amount of time. Likewise, I'm not sure as to whether their revamping of the zombies and/or network bubble will have any affect on the spawns themselves.

Edited by Katana67

I had heard that about SA. But I was more keying in on the qualifier of "for some time", meaning that the spawning of zombies would stop for X amount of time once the game recognizes an area has been purposefully cleared for Y amount of time. Likewise, I'm not sure as to whether their revamping of the zombies and/or network bubble will have any affect on the spawns themselves.

Once you kill the zombies of a town they won't respawn until all the players left the area or until the server restarts.

Once you kill the zombies of a town they won't respawn until all the players left the area or until the server restarts.

Which brings me to the real fault of DayZ. I assume you're referring to the potential spawning system in SA and not the mod. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Why are rapid server restarts acceptable? I think this should be an area of development (akin to the network bubble in terms of importance), minimizing or outright ridding us of the need for individual server restarts.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

I have literally no technical knowledge of servers etc whatsoever but I thought the constant server restarts needed in the mod etc were a side-effect of the way the mod+Arma handles things.  I'm hoping that the new method and engine overhaul makes this much less of an issue but It'd be interesting to hear from someone that understands these things as to what we can expect.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

I have literally no technical knowledge of servers etc whatsoever but I thought the constant server restarts needed in the mod etc were a side-effect of the way the mod+Arma handles things.  I'm hoping that the new method and engine overhaul makes this much less of an issue but It'd be interesting to hear from someone that understands these things as to what we can expect.

Doesnt everything spawn with the server start?

So afaik theres no respawn of zeds or loot while the server is running.

Meaning , those restarts will be even more crucial.

Yeah, I have no technical knowledge either. Either way, I think having things being linked to server restarts is a bad precedent. It effectively limits the game to instances rather than persistent worlds. Which, as we've discussed a lot in the past, I think they need to make up their minds in terms of persistence.

I would assume, with the loot tables themselves being tied to a central table, that they could then apply that same type of concept to control other things. I don't expect things like zombie spawns themselves to be wholly persistent (i.e. having the same zombie respawn back in the same exact spot) but the reliance on server restarts not only interrupts gameplay literally, but it shouldn't be contingent for the proper use of other game systems. And hey, a server restart at the end of the day, or every few days, wouldn't bother me. But, every four hours just to have the game function as intended? That's pretty restrictive.

Edited by Katana67

That's not how I understand it, no.  Things will still spawn.  For example, if you clear a town of zeds the town will stay clear, but if players then move away from the town the zeds will spawn again.  Also, loot will be handled by a global loot table which is fundamentally different to the mod but tbh I really have no idea what that means in terms of how or when things spawn.  

In short, I haven't got a clue :/

Edited by Fraggle

No that's not how it works, the server respawns them as needed.

No that's not how it works, the server respawns them as needed.

Hey SmashT, as Rockets secretary do you have a handy quote where Dean discusses this at all?

Edited by Fraggle

Hey SmashT, as Rockets secretary do you have a handy quote where Dean discusses this at all?

Q: How are zombie spawns going to work?
A: We're probably going to spawn all zombies + loot at the start of the mission on the server to decrease lagspikes and to remove the spawning issues we had. This also allows the potential for the whole "roving zombie" crap people keep harping on to me about (seriously, I get facebooked every day with this one request).

Q: Doesn't that mean all zombies will eventually be killed?
A: The zombies respawn, but it's done at a server level, not client like previously (which was a nightmare).

I vaguely remember him mentioning the test server only gets restarted once a week or so but I don't know if that is much of an indication as barely anyone is on it unless there is an update. It's probably something that will need to be determined after the alpha release.
Edited by SmashT
  • Like 5

That's not how I understand it, no.  Things will still spawn.  For example, if you clear a town of zeds the town will stay clear, but if players then move away from the town the zeds will spawn again.  Also, loot will be handled by a global loot table which is fundamentally different to the mod but tbh I really have no idea what that means in terms of how or when things spawn.  

In short, I haven't got a clue :/

same here xD and i really thought i got that one...

• Like 1

It would be cool if there were certain items that you could only get in certain towns. I need more reasons to explore every rinky dink village. I've heard this is happening but was wondering if anyone could elaborate.

• Like 2

"I wanted to see exotic Chernarus... the crown jewel of Eastern Europe. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating Zombies of an ancient culture... and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill!"

It would be cool if there were certain items that you could only get in certain towns. I need more reasons to explore every rinky dink village. I've heard this is happening but was wondering if anyone could elaborate.

A great idea, kicking myself for never even thinking of it...

Would be great finding certain books, weapons, and the like in certain towns. Also, could be a good opportunity to bring in MMO-esque unique items (which would probably just be aesthetically different, incorporate some kind of lore, or just be different in name only).

I think the reasoning behind it is, they're making the buildings enterable, thus there will be more loot in the villages. Likewise, they seem to be interested in expanding the villages themselves (which I'm not entirely in support of). Right now, at least in my favorite village of Myshkino, there's only one enterable building to my knowledge. So it doesn't leave a lot of room to loot. There certainly are more ways of making villages more attractive though.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Hmm, looks like the trees are gonna provide a bit more overhead cover.

The edges of some forest look more dense as well. Noticed this in other screen shots too.

Yep looks like we can't get those ugly trees that you get when you disable AtoC and get huge advance.

Swapping trees is a great way to take care of that. I'm digging it.

I also noticed that there aren't any evergreen trees to hide from zeds under. Looks great. Can't wait to play the damn thing.

This, coupled with Z's running inside will make people a little more cautious imo. 

If you all can't tell, I have a thing about the trees in DayZ.

MY graphics card just Fried because of the 320.49 driver update... IF You guys are gonna release the frikin game, when im not having a new Gpu, I'm seriously gonna Smash Deans Lambo... Respect and fear this message... Because I'm having a really bad day.

Edited by Aporis

• about 4 hours ago Changed changenumber – 296589 › 297972
  • a day ago Changed changenumber – 295833 › 296589
  • 3 days ago Changed changenumber – 293723 › 295833

300000 Alpha?

#conspiracy theory

Kind of makes sense due to the fact their communication stopped around Sept. 20th and with this changenumber; it's close to 300000.

My guesses on the release..

• October 8th - "World Zombie Day."

• Somewhere around December - A year after their suppose release.
Edited by TIC321

YEEEEEEAH Release this month!

I just took a shit and had dat feelin.

Im putting 10 european euros on it ( you guys have to share under another)

this gladden my day, I hope it's true.