SmashT

August Round-up: DevBlog, #DayZDaily, Gamescom

I can understand lot's of the criticism etc (not that I always agree with it) but it's the anger that makes me chuckle.

Why would anyone get genuinely angry about the development of a game? Especially at this stage.  When they've taken your money and and promised something in exchange for that money the anger could be justified if they don't fulfill any promises or deliver certain things but at this stage we're just watching the development of a game, simple as that.

There's loads of games I'm following atm and it wouldn't ever really occur to me to go onto their website and tell them to "hurry the fuck up".  Some of those games I've been waiting years for and are forever being pushed back, the fact is they owe me nothing at this point, even if they miss release dates by years so I just cross my fingers and hope they pull it together eventually.

I check in on them occasionally, catch up with how their getting on and go and play something else while I wait.  There's so many awesome games around atm for PC gamers it's not like it's a hard thing to do.

Yeah Fraggle i agree, as if it's the only game for some people. I'm excited about the standalone too but since it's been only around 8 months i don't care when it's released. There are alot of games coming in the next weeks/months i can waste my time on or even play older games i didn't play before.

Q: What do you think of DayZ on consoles, Yes or no?

Yes but master race comes first, naturally.

I don't approve of this knock.

Considering myself a hardcore pc gamer, I'm not a fan of consoles and console games personally, but I don't hate on anybody who is, it's only a matter of preference really.

The reason I figure a lot of people like myself are sceptical of DayZ being developed for consoles as well is the change of design of controls, interface and overall game mechanics this sometimes means.

Pc games aren't better than console games, but they are different. As seen in the past, a compromise of design can get pretty annoying and frustrating and I guess it could be even worse for a more niche/hardcore survival game like DayZ.

I like to hear the pc is the number one system for development (though I would have liked to hear that in a less cynical and aggressive way), but I really hope that keeping a console release in mind doesn't affect game design at all.

Edited by Tempus

2yy5unb.jpg

I say, let the peasants have their fun with the leftover scraps of the magnificent and bountiful PC banquet! What harm does it ye? Nay! - Rocket

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1kougi/oh_rocket_you_always_had_a_way_with_words/cbrvfuh

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 3

Considering myself a hardcore pc gamer, I'm not a fan of consoles and console games personally, but I don't hate on anybody who is, it's only a matter of preference really.

The reason I figure a lot of people like myself are sceptical of DayZ being developed for consoles as well is the change of design of controls, interface and overall game mechanics this sometimes means.

Pc games aren't better than console games, but they are different. As seen in the past, a compromise of design can get pretty annoying and frustrating and I guess it could be even worse for a more niche/hardcore survival game like DayZ.

I like to hear the pc is the number one system for development (though I would have liked to hear that in a less cynical and aggressive way), but I really hope that keeping a console release in mind doesn't affect game design at all.

DayZ is developed for PC only at first. So The consoles are the ones who suffer this time because of their hardware not other way around. The first and original Operation Flashpoint didn't suffer anything in PC side when it came to consoles and this will be the case with DayZ.

• Like 3

I guess so. I am a little worried still, because the video game industry has changed (not in the pc's favor) in the last 12 years and in my opinion games like the new X-Com, which I still loved, suffered heavily because of console-heavy design.

I do hope that both of us are right and there's nothing to worry about, though. ;)

I don't mind if they bring it to the consoles. As long as that happens after the Final release of DayZ for the PC.

So it won't be watered down to play with a Controller.

And my point with quitting all together if they can't bring the alpha was a bit short sighted perhaps?

But then again the whole thing about not saying a release date is just annoying.

I don't play DayZ anymore since the Mod does nothing new to impress me even with all the new patches that came out since i left the Mod.

Or the Mods of the Mod for that matter. So why not tell us a Date you want to release it. So people have something to look forward to.

And if a week earlier a major build breaking bug shows up you can just tell people the situation in a detailed manner and say we need another week to make it stable again.

Yes people would still complain about, "you said that was the release date for it" blah blah. But the majority of fans would understand.

It's just the unknown that is annoying for me. Coming every few days to the Forums and into Steam to see if it all of a Sudden popped up somewhere.

Edited by NightmareGER

Did you really have to write all that for a joke tweet?

I just wanted to voice my thoughts on pc/console development.

Dean being ironic doesn't make what he said irrelevant, does it?

I'm sorry if I am mistaken and got it wrong.

Joke tweet? Rocket has said it couple times before so it's not a joke.

Obviously, neither of us know for sure but as far as I know, prior to them deciding to move to the MMO architecture, they were stripping things out of the engine that weren't needed as well as working on Chernarus+ so to say they scrapped everything would be a misconception.  I'm sure at the same time they were probably working on tons of art assets as well.  The same Arma 2 engine they were stripping code out of was used when they worked on adding the MMO architecture as well as adding some of the improvements from TOH and Arma 3.  This is why I say they have been working on it for a year.

Prepare for the old "take as long as you want Rocket" comments.  I got tons of hate on Reddit when I said Rocket should just give up if he can't get the alpha out before the end of the year.

I feel you bro.

I refuse to buy another battlefield game since it didnt come out 18 months ago. 

Would be cool if Dean would allow the people to record gameplay!

Would be cool if Dean would allow the people to record gameplay!

Providing Gamescom allow it, they are, or did you mean us testers?

Edited by SmashT

That screenshot of Stary looked like a real photo at first. Had to do a double take.

• Like 2

Providing Gamescom allow it, they are, or did you mean us testers?

Yes I meant Gamescom, I was not sure because there was no footage from the E3...

those trees....they are 100% photo-realistic

yeah amazing stuff, and those volumetric clouds are pretty photorealistic too IMO!

It's nice to see all the updates in one place.

thanks, smasht.

dayzdaily is a great idea too.

those trees....they are 100% photo-realistic

The first time I thought they took a picture of some real life Chernarus stuff, since I never seen those trees ingame. Then I realized it was DayZ. xD