SmashT

August Round-up: DevBlog, #DayZDaily, Gamescom

I personally think they've bit off more than they can chew with SA.

I'm growing to love your cheery one liners :)

Don't forget the dev team is soon to be expanded.  It may be true that the work load may have stretched them a bit (I have no idea, just speculating because it's a big project for a small team) but as the dev team grows I'm sure everything will come together.

• Like 2

I personally think they've bit off more than they can chew with SA.

*biten

And why exactly? It's only been a year and 2 days since it's been announced..What other games can you name that have had shorter development cycles? Well I can name a few but the resultant product is not much to shout about.

I'm growing to love your cheery one liners :)

Don't forget the dev team is soon to be expanded.  It may be true that the work load may have stretched them a bit (I have no idea, just speculating because it's a big project for a small team) but as the dev team grows I'm sure everything will come together.

I love you too Fraggle. 

I'm feeling this way though because I'm just growing tired of waiting for the SA, surely nobody can blame me.

• Like 1

I love you too Fraggle. 

I'm feeling this way though because I'm just growing tired of waiting for the SA, surely nobody can blame me.

Haha, our love is strong.  Loads of peeps are tired of waiting so no I don't blame you at all.

In the long run though you'll be happy they're doing things properly and not rushing it out.  Later on in development when they're adding things the modders could only dream of we'll look back and be happy that they took the time to get the foundations right to start with.  I'd say 90% of the work so far has been on things we can't phsicaly see or really appreciate at this point without a degree in programming.

Later on though, normal peeps like us will start to understand why they had to take this approach when we see the awesome things it's going to allow them to do.

I was actually just chatting about it with SmashT.  It seems to me that all of these "survival" games (DayZ mod spin-offs included) keep running into the same problems technically, they all have great ideas but keep falling down when implemented on a live server with lots of people playing and lots of other stuff going on.  It's like a wall that stops these games progressing past a certain point.

Rocket and co. are making sure that the basic foundations are firmly in place so that in the future adding content (the easy bit) can be done quickly and efficiently without running into constant technical issues.

That's how I view it anyway, I may be completely wrong.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

This is stupid.

Please enlighten us.

*Edit - Scratch that, actually please don't.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 7

I've generally been pretty positive about this whole project, but I have to admit being a little concerned that the zombies are '0% done' - as supposedly one of the biggest threats in Chernarus, a lot of work is going to be needed to turn them from what they are now (a mild inconvenience at worst, unless they walk through a wall and break your legs) into a feasible threat. Personally, I'd want that to be the first thing they sorted - once the zombie behaviour which is going to form a core part of the gameplay is down, then you can build all the player-centric stuff around that.

I could be completely and utterly wrong, and I freely admit that I don't know the first thing about programming - it just seems that as it's an area they've had so much trouble with zombie behaviour in the mod, it would make sense to work on it early and get it complete and out of the way so you can build the rest of the experience around it.

Either way, I'm still looking forward to seeing what's coming. :)

Edited by Target Practice
  • Like 4

I've generally been pretty positive about this whole project, but I have to admit being a little concerned that the zombies are '0% done' - as supposedly one of the biggest threats in Chernarus, a lot of work is going to be needed to turn them from what they are now (a mild inconvenience at worst, unless they walk through a wall and break your legs) into a feasible threat. Personally, I'd want that to be the first thing they sorted - once the zombie behaviour which is going to form a core part of the gameplay is down, then you can build all the player-centric stuff around that.

I could be completely and utterly wrong, and I freely admit that I don't know the first thing about programming - it just seems that as it's an area they've had so much trouble with zombie behaviour in the mod, it would make sense to work on it early and get it complete and out of the way so you can build the rest of the experience around it.

Either way, I'm still looking forward to seeing what's coming. :)

Well this was posted 4 days ago, so hopefully you're in luck!

Right now I'm further scoping the new proposal for zombie AI, tasking bugs associated with the MP test, and reviewing new items #DayZDaily

• Like 1

It may be true that the work load may have stretched them a bit (I have no idea, just speculating because it's a big project for a small team)

No couldnt be , not according to the DENSE

• Like 1

YZ250, on 09 Aug 2013 - 3:03 PM, said:snapback.png

Makes you wonder if working on things like Radios, Ability to write on Bottles ( ohh dear ) , and many other things I could mention, actually stop the Zombies being worked on.

You did... Else why bring it up in the first place?  :|

Yeah well here is what I did say Captain Knowitall  "

Makes you wonder if working on things like Radios, Ability to write on Bottles ( ohh dear ) , and many other things I could mention, actually stop the Zombies being worked on.

One would logically suggest no, but who knows ? "

See the reading comprehension reference now. You seem to have taken on a Role of answering everyone"s queries and views , talking down their Posts or correcting every minute detail at least get the fucking Quotes correct  ;) 

This is stupid.

Gummy, come on man... :facepalm:

Lay off Gummy you fucks, even a troll has a bad day  :lol:

Fraggle i has a questions.

How many people currently in the dev team?

• Like 2

Lay off Gummy you fucks, even a troll has a bad day  :lol:

Fraggle i has a questions.

How many people currently in the dev team?

Honestly not sure mate.  They have a small internal team and some external people (artists etc) working on it but I believe it's less than 30 people in total.

I believe that will be changing in the near future though and the team could be expanding.  I'm speculating a bit but as Arma 3 production scales down, those resources may be transferred over to DayZ.  That's my speculation though based on some posts I've seen both here and on Reddit etc.  

I'm just joining the dots but may have mis-read the situation.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

Hm but did they not show a video some months ago with the new zombie pathfinding? I remember seeing a dev version with the pathfinding indicators on screen and if i recall correctly Dean talked about the progress and how zombies could now run inside because of the new pathfinding.

I mean its good to hear the progress but after seeing the above + devblogs where they did motion capturing for the new zombies and seeing the new zombie animations in game... to hear that they are 0% done is a little bit strange to me.

That merely showed how they fixed the bugs the old pathfinding had. Not actual changes in the AI. Pathfinding is just a part of the AI. But it is surely one of the most basic parts. If pathfinding is buggy or even broken you cannot even start changing/implementing higher level AI stuff that would work reliably. So as I read and understand it they have done the pathfinding bug fixes but nothing more to the zeds. For me that counts as progress on Zeds = 0%.

• Like 1

I am disappoint that we never got an update on the apartment. Is it clean? What was under the bed? How long did it take?

• Like 5

discussion of zed AI you say?

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/126836-what-is-%E2%80%9Ethe-infection%E2%80%9C-a-definition-approach/

why not discuss in here?  :P

edit: would really love to here what sort of mocaps they are going to do.

Edited by joe_mcentire

Ooo fancy...

https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/status/368013101121036288/photo/1

https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/status/368012492967927808/photo/1

Oh also, last night... new M4 sounds... new supersonic cracks (near/far) with reverb. #DayZDaily

Also

There is one thing that interest me. Rocket said that only thing that hold alpha realease is network bubble, but thye work on MP only 1-2 days a week ( based on DayzDaily). Network programmers work alone on network bubble and everyone else work on other stuff or what ?

I only say what I'm directly involved in, not what everyone else is doing.

^^ Pretty much confirmation of what people having been saying

Edited by CapricornOne

I really hope there will be a new trailer for DayZ Standalone, like the one for the mod. It is that awesome that I even watch it today.

2am just finished writeup of new proposal for a complete redesign of zombie AI. sleep... #DayZDaily

Let me translate that for you: we will never finish the SA.

Common, get your fu##ing priorities straight: Everything that didn't work in the mod FIRST (zombies, inventory, ...) the rest LATER.

Your working on the SA for what now, about 8 month? And NOW your thinking about a new zombie AI? Fuck that.

Common Bohemia, there's money to be made with DayZ, buy yourself some capable programmers!

• Like 1

Let me translate that for you: we will never finish the SA.

Common, get your fu##ing priorities straight: Everything that didn't work in the mod FIRST (zombies, inventory, ...) the rest LATER.

Your working on the SA for what now, about 8 month? And NOW your thinking about a new zombie AI? Fuck that.

Common Bohemia, there's money to be made with DayZ, buy yourself some capable programmers!

Chill out, man! 

Go play some other games whilst waiting for DayZ. You will enjoy it when it comes out, just be patient. No great game was made in 8 months. 

Edited by Jgut90

Your working on the SA for what now, about 8 month?

Actually, they've been working on it for about a year.  I think it is pretty sad they don't have the alpha out by now but I'm beginning to think the reason we don't is because Rocket isn't doing a very good job of prioritizing things.  He has this proposed list of things he wants to put in the game but instead of working on improving the stuff from the mod, they add new stuff.  And here we are, after a year, the one glaring issue from the mod still exists in the SA.  Horrible zombie AI that gets stuck on things, zig zags, and runs through walls.

Edited by Zero3ffect
  • Like 2

Actually, they've been working on it for about a year.  I think it is pretty sad they don't have the alpha out by now but I'm beginning to think the reason we don't is because Rocket isn't doing a very good job of prioritizing things.  He has this proposed list of things he wants to put in the game but instead of working on improving the stuff from the mod, they add new stuff.  And here we are, after a year, the one glaring issue from the mod still exists in the SA.  Horrible zombie AI that gets stuck on things, zig zags, and runs through walls.

Actually, it is more like 8 months. everything before december was pretty much scrapped.

Original plan. tidy up the mod and release as a single .exe to be released in december.

Then they decided to scrap that and rebuild the game from the ground up. this involved reworking the whole engine to the point where they now have a new engine unlike anything that bohemia have used before. 

Its not like they haven't already reworked the AI, they have been working on it from the start, Rocket is simply proposing an alternative new method that could work better than what they currently have.