SmashT

August Round-up: DevBlog, #DayZDaily, Gamescom

Joke tweet? Rocket has said it couple times before so it's not a joke.

The way he said it was a joke.

I know it's coming for PC first.

It's too bad this month is almost over, I hope there'll be more DayZDaily soon after.

All what I'm looking forward to with all this progress is the Networking Bubble and some extra content to the zombies

Again, to those who are worried about DayZ being "watered down" by the inclusion of a controller (and subsequent console version) I say this...

I play DayZ with a 360 controller. There, I said it. The only capabilities that I really don't have (partially because I'm too lazy to deal with mapping software) is that I cannot access my inventory (which I'd map to a D-pad button or A), lean (which I'd map to two corresponding buttons, probably on the D-pad), or freelook (which I'd bind to one of the shoulder buttons as a hold feature) without a keyboard. Thus, I have a keyboard and controller, which actually isn't as cumbersome as you'd think once you're used to it.

But the point is, the controller isn't limiting my gameplay. There are about five or six buttons that lay unused on my controller, and if I could map them, I would be 100%. The D-Pad isn't being utilized at all, and the shoulder buttons aren't either (one is, but it just pulls up the map). This doesn't even take into account the possibilities that could be implemented with "holding" certain buttons, which is a feature entirely ignored in Arma/DayZ (I actually think if you hold B, you go into prone rather than clicking which goes to kneel, I could be way off though as I'm recalling from memory).

Flying is easy as pie, with even more buttons being unused. I'm pretty sure I only mess with the sticks and triggers, otherwise the rest is not used.

Mind you, this is all with the current mod. I assume SA's control scheme will be much more streamlined.

Point being, I think the "complexity" of Arma's interface is vastly overstated. Controllers, if properly mapped, can handle most if not all of the functionality regularly used in DayZ with very few sacrifices.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Duke Nukem Forever has been in developenment for over a decade,Aliens Colonial Marines for almost 8 years.Rocket have announced Standalone last year(June or July i am not sure)

I can wait for half a year more now,that is if they deliver us a good game and not something like that WarZ thing.

Duke Nukem Forever has been in developenment for over a decade,Aliens Colonial Marines for almost 8 years.Rocket have announced Standalone last year(June or July i am not sure)

I can wait for half a year more now,that is if they deliver us a good game and not something like that WarZ thing.

It's no longer called The WarZ, they have renamed the game to Infestation: Survivor Stories.

Win for copyright issues!

DayZ wins people's choice award at Gamescom. But hey, nobody cares anymore right? 

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/08/27/the-winner-of-igns-peoples-choice-award-of-gamescom-2013-is

The amount of butt-hurt is touchable :D

These comments are even more hardcore than youtube.

Btw Arma 3 wasn't in the poll? At least I don't remember that.

Edited by St. Jimmy

The best ones are the ones that confuse WarZ with DayZ  :lol:

Or the young guy from work excitingly tells me Hey Dayz SA is out on Steam and they have renamed it Infestation, took me 5 Minutes of calling him a fucking Idiot to believe he was mistaken

• Like 3

Not so related to the SA but two different interesting upcoming... things? :)

GDC China 2013 adds DayZ, Ubisoft, Crytek production talks

http://www.gdcchina.com/news/2013/08/gdc_china_2013_adds_dayz_ubiso.html

The Benefits of Players Writing Thier Own Stories In Games (DayZ and KSP)
http://guidebook.com/guide/11947/event/5193936/

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 2

All You Zombies: Why the Genre Still Holds Our Attention.

http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/all-you-zombies-why-the-genre-still-holds-our-attention

Please join Stephen “Stepto” Toulouse along with Chet Faliszek from Valve software (Left 4 Dead) and Dean Hall (Bohemia Interactive) alongside other zombie game industry vets in a discussion around what attracts gamers to zombies, inspiration when making a zombie game, whether the genre needs a break, and where do we go from here.

Are there usually streams from PAX? I'd love to see this...

EDIT:

And you should all vote for DayZ here:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/joystick/homepage.php

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 2

All You Zombies: Why the Genre Still Holds Our Attention.

http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/all-you-zombies-why-the-genre-still-holds-our-attention

Please join Stephen “Stepto” Toulouse along with Chet Faliszek from Valve software (Left 4 Dead) and Dean Hall (Bohemia Interactive) alongside other zombie game industry vets in a discussion around what attracts gamers to zombies, inspiration when making a zombie game, whether the genre needs a break, and where do we go from here.

Are there usually streams from PAX? I'd love to see this...

EDIT:

And you should all vote for DayZ here:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/joystick/homepage.php

Just finished voting.  I got sucked in to voting for the rest of the categories, with the exception of "youtube gamer" which I find to be stupid.  Thanks for the link!

Edited by twinturbonet

it's devblog day today yay!!

Edited by joe_mcentire

Lots of stuff for Dean to do at PAX!

Friday — The PC Gaming World Congress

6:30 p.m. @ Pegasus Theater (Sheraton Hotel, 2nd floor)

We’ve assembled a dream team of PC gaming personalities to debate the state of our dear hobby: Dean Hall (Creator, DayZ, Bohemia Interactive), Jon Mavor (Co-Founder, Uber Entertainment), Chris Taylor (Founder, Gas Powered Games), and Chris Roberts (Founder, Cloud Imperium Games).

For an hour, we’ll invite our esteemed speakers to reflect on the issues that matter most to PC gamers and developers and paint a picture of what the next few years in PC gaming will look like. Finally, a congress worth listening to!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/30/pc-gamer-at-pax-prime-2013-pc-gaming-world-congress/

We will be filming it and posting the video, but probably not until next week.

Oh...

Edited by Terrorviktor

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd no devblog or update for the end of the month. Not bitching but i'd kinda like to know how the zombie rework/network bubble/optimisation is going. See you next thread.

Not bitching but i'd kinda like to know how the zombie rework/network bubble/optimisation is going. See you next thread.

Work on the network bubble isn't going to begin until next week. Work on the current zombies has ceased as they are redoing the AI from scratch.

• Like 6

Work on the network bubble isn't going to begin until next week. Work on the current zombies has ceased as they are redoing the AI from scratch.

anyone infos about that ai proposal in particular? besides pathfinding i guess they want to do also other stuff or am i wrong?

The reboot of the zombie pathing shows the dedication to quality IMO.

I would hope the Devs have spoke at length with others who have tackled the same or similar pathing problems, and can learn and expand on their work.

awfully quiet again....there is something cooking..

Edited by joe_mcentire

awfully quiet again....there is something cooking..

They are at PAX getting busy with loads of interesting panels, the bastards. :)

• Like 1

Then Rockets got to go to China and give a talk, then hop a plane to PAX Guatemala city and from there get in a sail boat and do the Bermuda triangle GamesCon, then about 5 more PAXs in various locations around the world and then back to the game.

• Like 2

Can any of the Test players of the closed Alpha say something towards the Character creation?

Or do you spawn with some randomized character?