SmashT

August Round-up: DevBlog, #DayZDaily, Gamescom

Its not like they haven't already reworked the AI, they have been working on it from the start, Rocket is simply proposing an alternative new method that could work better than what they currently have.

if i look at all the recent videos i can't see a real improvment compared to the mod ... why else would rocket suggest a completely new zombie AI just now? ( because even he isn't satisfied?! )

this involved reworking the whole engine to the point where they now have a new engine unlike anything that bohemia have used before.

and i bet the performance still sucks and we get like 20 - 40 fps tops.

Rocket has said many times that zombies will constantly be worked on throughout development. Its a case of finding the right balance, the more complex the AI the more processing power is used which will effect performance, working all this out is all part of the alpha process, if you're not prepared to deal with things like this i suggest you wait for the full release before making a decision to buy the game.

Edited by Fluxley

Actually, they've been working on it for about a year.  I think it is pretty sad they don't have the alpha out by now but I'm beginning to think the reason we don't is because Rocket isn't doing a very good job of prioritizing things.  He has this proposed list of things he wants to put in the game but instead of working on improving the stuff from the mod, they add new stuff.  And here we are, after a year, the one glaring issue from the mod still exists in the SA.  Horrible zombie AI that gets stuck on things, zig zags, and runs through walls.

don't forget one thing: not everyone from the dev-team is focusing and working on the same thing. this means although some focus on - for example zeds - others can and still focus on other parts of the game.

that said, i can understand that some are confused by the latest info "zeds are 0% done" although to many this seemed to be the #1 issue.

Edited by joe_mcentire

Let me translate that for you: we will never finish the SA.

Common, get your fu##ing priorities straight: Everything that didn't work in the mod FIRST (zombies, inventory, ...) the rest LATER.

Your working on the SA for what now, about 8 month? And NOW your thinking about a new zombie AI? Fuck that.

Common Bohemia, there's money to be made with DayZ, buy yourself some capable programmers!

you're*

8 months is actually a very good amount of time to make a game.

Buying human-beings? Lol wut?

• Like 1

and i bet the performance still sucks and we get like 20 - 40 fps tops.

Then you clearly have no clue what the changes they have made with the engine,to make it perform better.. or you have not even bothered to look them up or understand them.

And avarage gamer woudnt need more than 60fps... 40fps is sufficient with dayz as its not fast paced like some cod.

• Like 2

you're*

8 months is actually a very good amount of time to make a game.

Buying human-beings? Lol wut?

yay, colors ... :rolleyes:

Then you clearly have no clue what the changes they have made with the engine,to make it perform better.. or you have not even bothered to look them up or understand them.

And avarage gamer woudnt need more than 60fps... 40fps is sufficient with dayz as its not fast paced like some cod.

i would be more than happy if i got 40 - 60 fps in every situation or place, but the truth is that it drops down to 15 - 30 fps in a lot of places and with all the zombies.

everyone can tell you that the programming / performance of ARMA 2 sucks (and that has nothing to do with your personal computer).

And my fear is that it will be the same with the SA when i am looking at rockets videos ... where he refuses to turn of all the post processing :rolleyes:

That fps problem lays withing the mod/arma bundle, so much info(everything)sent to the client that it wont need, also much calculation is made by the client(zeds). Just look up what have been said and done to undertand it.. Dont care to explain it again for people that cant do some research.. Ofc we can only trust Deans word, will see.

Edited by Zeppa

yay, colors ... :rolleyes:

i would be more than happy if i got 40 - 60 fps in every situation or place, but the truth is that it drops down to 15 - 30 fps in a lot of places and with all the zombies.

everyone can tell you that the programming / performance of ARMA 2 sucks (and that has nothing to do with your personal computer).

And my fear is that it will be the same with the SA when i am looking at rockets videos ... where he refuses to turn of all the post processing :rolleyes:

I don't know but i get around 50 fps with Arma 2/DayZ so yeah it actually depends on the PC. My Hardware isn't even the newest/best.

What excatly is your Problem the Game isn't even released and you complain about Performance/Zombie AI beacause of some Pre-Alpha-Footage

I got an idea just wait for the actual release before whinning like a little child it just makes you look stupid

It depends on rig and optimization, which is really poor with dayz mod.. Its also known that slower rigs can perform better with dayz that technically better one.

I don't know but i get around 50 fps with Arma 2/DayZ so yeah it actually depends on the PC. My Hardware isn't even the newest/best.

What excatly is your Problem the Game isn't even released and you complain about Performance/Zombie AI beacause of some Pre-Alpha-Footage

I got an idea just wait for the actual release before whinning like a little child it just makes you look stupid

I am quite sure you won't get 50 FPS constantly ... it's no secret that the performance of dayz sucks, just ask around .. i din't make that up.

My problem is that i like this game too much to stop playing it. And when i am reading that after 8 month of development zombie AI still is done "0%" it makes we sad and in my opinion shows that the dev-team isn't prioritizing right.

I am quite sure you won't get 50 FPS constantly ... it's no secret that the performance of dayz sucks, just ask around .. i din't make that up.

My problem is that i like this game too much to stop playing it. And when i am reading that after 8 month of development zombie AI still is done "0%" it makes we sad and in my opinion shows that the dev-team isn't prioritizing right.

It has absolutely nothing to do with prioritising, and all to do with the fact that they can't work on it until all the back-end stuff is complete..

It's the equivalent of designing and strategically placing seats in a "car" that doesn't yet have a frame..Yes they're quite important in the scheme of things, but you'd essentially just be putting the seats on the ground  :|

• Like 1

Wait, the zombies are 0% done? I can remember a devblog which was only about zombie pathfinding. Well, is that including the 0%? I don't know, but it sounds like Dean is trying to defend himself from bad critism.

Okay i understand your concerns/disappointment but i think most people misinterpret that statement with the "0%" done. Well maybe they couldn't fully implement the new zombiepathfinding from months ago before fixing some other stuff WHO KNOWS. I have concerns too but my faith in the dev-team still overweights that. So all i'm trying to say is let's just chill and let them do their job i'm sure things aren't as bad as you made them to be.

Edit: With the 50 FPS yeah thats why i said around 50 FPS sometimes it's more sometimes it's less and i know the performance for most people isn't as near as good as mine and i'm thankfull that it's atleast 45-57 FPS for me.

Edited by IHombreI

Wait, the zombies are 0% done? I can remember a devblog which was only about zombie pathfinding. Well, is that including the 0%? I don't know, but it sounds like Dean is trying to defend himself from bad critism.

Nah, just sounds to me like the deeper into development they get, the less satisfied they are with certain aspects of the game. The bar for quality is being raised, and I'll never complain about that.

Arma 2 runs smooth everywhere, the code & opt are just fine. Dayz is completely dif. story.

• Like 2

Arma 2 runs smooth everywhere, the code & opt are just fine. Dayz is completely dif. story.

Agreed. Maybe not so smooth when I over do things with ACE mod but it takes a bit.

Talking about Zed/Zombie/Infected AI....would'nt it be cool to see zeds feasting on dead animals especially farm animals like cows and horses...could also be a good way to distract them  :)

I think it'll be about January/February until we see the alpha. Maybe that's a good thing as I'm done with Dayz now anyway and the thought of Standalone doesn't really tickle my balls.

I'd rather wait till next year if they fix the zombies and other horrible features from the mod, though. Sure Rocket may get a tonne of flak for it but surely it'd be better to play a near working game to a complete joke of an alpha.

I think it'll be about "January/February" until we see the alpha. Maybe that's a good thing as I'm done with Dayz now anyway and the thought of Standalone doesn't really tickle my balls.

I'd rather wait till next year if they fix the zombies and other horrible features from the mod, though. Sure Rocket may get a tonne of flak for it but surely it'd be better to play a near working game to a complete joke of an alpha.

If it really takes that long for the Alpha and we gotta wait till Jan/Feb, then seriously Rocket might as well quit all together.

He was always talking during E3 that they need to get the Alpha out they need our feedback on the stuff they put in.

So lets just wait and see what the Gamescon will bring shall we?

• Like 1

Actually, it is more like 8 months. everything before december was pretty much scrapped.

Obviously, neither of us know for sure but as far as I know, prior to them deciding to move to the MMO architecture, they were stripping things out of the engine that weren't needed as well as working on Chernarus+ so to say they scrapped everything would be a misconception.  I'm sure at the same time they were probably working on tons of art assets as well.  The same Arma 2 engine they were stripping code out of was used when they worked on adding the MMO architecture as well as adding some of the improvements from TOH and Arma 3.  This is why I say they have been working on it for a year.

If it really takes that long for the Alpha and we gotta wait till Jan/Feb, then seriously Rocket might as well quit all together.

Prepare for the old "take as long as you want Rocket" comments.  I got tons of hate on Reddit when I said Rocket should just give up if he can't get the alpha out before the end of the year.

Edited by Zero3ffect
  • Like 1

I need confirmation on the quality of the consumable mushrooms in the standalone ?

iiH9a62MNq0kS.gif

Let me translate that for you: we will never finish the SA.

Common, get your fu##ing priorities straight: Everything that didn't work in the mod FIRST (zombies, inventory, ...) the rest LATER.

Your working on the SA for what now, about 8 month? And NOW your thinking about a new zombie AI? Fuck that.

Common Bohemia, there's money to be made with DayZ, buy yourself some capable programmers!

Watch Blizzard's Engine changes History for Starcraft 2 video.

They needed 5 years to perfect Starcraft plus Blizzard is a large company wich has the funds to create a sucessful game. Bohemia, is not the same.

And you're bitching over 8 months? I bet you are a 12 year old impatient fuck who can't stand waiting more than his summer vacantions to end.

Give Rocket some fucking space, he's human. 

Edited by Hosty
  • Like 1

And to me its funny when people bitch about this, like Rocket owns something to them that has to be done... Dont think so, I have projects in RL(car restoration) and I wouldnt care about people bitching that it should be ready because I promised a ride when its done. I would understand if BI would hurry rocket, but us? No.

Edited by Zeppa

I can understand lot's of the criticism etc (not that I always agree with it) but it's the anger that makes me chuckle.

Why would anyone get genuinely angry about the development of a game? Especially at this stage.  When they've taken your money and and promised something in exchange for that money the anger could be justified if they don't fulfill any promises or deliver certain things but at this stage we're just watching the development of a game, simple as that.

There's loads of games I'm following atm and it wouldn't ever really occur to me to go onto their website and tell them to "hurry the fuck up".  Some of those games I've been waiting years for and are forever being pushed back, the fact is they owe me nothing at this point, even if they miss release dates by years so I just cross my fingers and hope they pull it together eventually.

I check in on them occasionally, catch up with how their getting on and go and play something else while I wait.  There's so many awesome games around atm for PC gamers it's not like it's a hard thing to do.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 8