rocket

DayZ Developer Blog 3rd August 2013

That´s not the way I meant it.

Well, I do not say you should keep your gear and everything. But come on, changing your name everytime you Die? What about Youtubers, Clan Players, Persons who like their ingame names? Really?

I think the answer lays upon the "RP Servers".I am pretty sure that when the SA pops up,zombies.nu or kinda communities will get a few private servers, in which everyone will be able to have a great unkossed experience =)

All this.

Love Frankie and I think he is generally right about holding off release to provide more extensive content but I don't think that has anything to do with the evolving playstyle of DayZ or the kos mentality. Really, that's another cool part about the game. There's been trends and an evolution.

Also, ups to Razor and all thems, cuz the public mod is outstanding right now, truly difficult in survival and pvp. And I think the notion the mod is overly buggy is an exaggeration. It's been really great the last 3 months or so. They've really enhanced the survival aspect of the mod which curiously has increased pvp, not cooperation, because the stakes are higher; there's simply less loot now. Frankie shows he's part of this chorus of people who wrongly believe that turning up the difficulty levels on things like zombies, loot, infection, etc. will cause players to be more inclined to work with each other. 

Violence, banditry and trolling are so great for the game! The 'get down bitch' bandit featured in Frankie's video was a classic character of DayZ. Haven't we all met a guy like that in DayZ? Yes, he's a nuisance, but that's how he is in real life! I think we tend to take our real life personalities and project them onto our characters in DayZ (a unique feature no one's noticed before?). We can do this primarily because of voice chat. 

Anyway, I'm particularly excited to see the tidbit on animations for handcuffing a guy. We all fall somewhere on the jerk scale, but a huge part of life in DayZ is doing battle with guys who are more jerky than you. And not only winning, but believing we play the game more honorably than the 'bandits'.

I agree with this.  I didn't mean by my earlier post that adding these things would stop KoS.  Instead I meant that it would give players who KoS out of boredom, something to do.  KoS is one of the things that makes DayZ the game that it is.  You never know if the person you're approaching is friendly, or will kill you.

Imo unless they add something in stand alone that will make you actually feel bad about shooting someone, KoS will continue to happen.  What I'm hoping though is that players will have stuff to do beside KoS just because there is nothing to do.

@Fraggle I agree about the whole bandit robbing people thing.  I've only robbed a few people before and like you said, most just abort.

• Like 4

You guys can kos eachother all day/everyday. But the ones that think the same way as I and Frankie will be enjoying to have a much more realistic apocalypse in our styles (imo).

Calling others' ideas "wrong" is btw a "wrong" action to take as long as everyone remains in their bodies instead of their minds and souls getting united by a magical intervention that causes a universal unity of everything in this reality.

You guys can kos eachother all day/everyday. But the ones that think the same way as I and Frankie will be enjoying to have a much more realistic apocalypse in our styles (imo).

Calling others' ideas "wrong" is btw a "wrong" action to take as long as everyone remains in their bodies instead of their minds and souls getting united by a magical intervention that causes a universal unity of everything in this reality.

I think you misunderstand.  I don't KOS, if fact I play as a medic.  I don't want to do that on PVE or roleplay servers though, for me they kind of defeat the whole social experiment that is Dayz.   I'm just observing what I see and have seen over the last few months.  I'll take my chances on the main public servers.  

It's just our opinions so none of us can be right or wrong.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

I think you misunderstand.  I don't KOS, if fact I play as a medic.  I don't want to do that on PVE or roleplay servers though, for me they kind of defeat the whole social experiment that is Dayz.   I'm just observing what I see and have seen over the last few months.  I'll take my chances on the main public servers.  

It's just our opinions so none of us can be right or wrong.

None of what I wrote was meant to point out to you nor anyone else in here directly. It was said to be in general and pointed to those who wanna kos all day/everyday as written in my post.

But I am happy to see that you also understand that there cannot be one right way of playing DayZ and the gameplay opportunities are subjects for the players to pick and up to fully the limit of their imagination.

Edited by SoulHunter

I have to agree with Frankie...I know I am repeating myself but I am no fan of the open alpha idea I would prefer to see Chernarus+ finished first as well as all basic game mechanics ( which does not include basebuilding and vehicles) before going into an open beta. For the alpha I would be cool with a larger scaled closed alpha testing including straming and regular updates and screenshots.

just my two cents

• Like 1

I dont think that adding any features will bring KOS-situations down even a little. From my point of view, the best thing to do would be making usable loot probabilities so low that players only choise of survival is either run from town to town or try and make contact with others... Of course even then people will kill on sight in hopes that those bambies will have something that they need.

Adding some goals, such as being a hero, or making a camp or such wont help neither in my opinion. Ive seen so much of clans that have people online around the clock so they have an advantage to get all the goodies of the server, and after that what do they have to do? PvP? I dont know, but after all we will be facing same dilemma: What to do after we have everything we need or wanted?

I conclude that best thing still would be making the challenge of finding loot and surviving after looting. After hundreds of hours of empirical research I have discovered that most populated places are: big cities, military locations and airfields. Why people even should bother going in Kamenka or some other distant god forsaken place where you can find only some nasty everyday beans?   
So my humble AND very simple suggestion is, to make good loot, especially ammo, food and such goods so d*mn rare that we have to venture beyond those safe places like Stary sobor and North west airfield.      

Also making somekind of a goal like making leaderboards, would be essential to keep people motivated about making the shot or being just safe with your sweet sweet can of pasta in the bush youve been inhabiting for a hour or so...

You may applause.

• Like 3

The only way to keep the idiots and kids out is to make the game as non casual as possible...rare loot...ultra rare military loot...a lot of micromanagement...realistic vehicle controls like in ToH...no group spwaning...no metagaming ( as far as possible)...no teamspeak ( just dreaming)...no crosshairs...no third person ( more dreaming)...no server hopping...no combatlogging....etc etc etc...

AND NO SHITTY HOBBIT HOUSES AND GARDENFENCES LIKE IN ORIGINS OF COURSE

No tents or whatever place where you can keep your stuff except some vehicles but you shouldn't be able to pack it that muchs and very restrict inventory space would be the best choice. Have fun carrying that wheel when you can't carry almost anything else and when you die you really need to re-arm and not go to your tent.

I dont think that adding any features will bring KOS-situations down even a little.

You're right.  In fact, I think DayZ SA is going to be even more of a PVP cluster fuck than the mod.  All the extra micromanaged crap will do is make people KOS more often.  Add in the fact that DayZ SA servers could have a capacity of up to 150 players makes it even worse.

I dont think that adding any features will bring KOS-situations down even a little. From my point of view, the best thing to do would be making usable loot probabilities so low that players only choise of survival is either run from town to town or try and make contact with others... Of course even then people will kill on sight in hopes that those bambies will have something that they need.

Adding some goals, such as being a hero, or making a camp or such wont help neither in my opinion. Ive seen so much of clans that have people online around the clock so they have an advantage to get all the goodies of the server, and after that what do they have to do? PvP? I dont know, but after all we will be facing same dilemma: What to do after we have everything we need or wanted?

I conclude that best thing still would be making the challenge of finding loot and surviving after looting. After hundreds of hours of empirical research I have discovered that most populated places are: big cities, military locations and airfields. Why people even should bother going in Kamenka or some other distant god forsaken place where you can find only some nasty everyday beans?   

So my humble AND very simple suggestion is, to make good loot, especially ammo, food and such goods so d*mn rare that we have to venture beyond those safe places like Stary sobor and North west airfield.      

Also making somekind of a goal like making leaderboards, would be essential to keep people motivated about making the shot or being just safe with your sweet sweet can of pasta in the bush youve been inhabiting for a hour or so...

You may applause.

Applause is pushing it but nice first post. Have some beans :)

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

You're right.  In fact, I think DayZ SA is going to be even more of a PVP cluster fuck than the mod.  All the extra micromanaged crap will do is make people KOS more often.  Add in the fact that DayZ SA servers could have a capacity of up to 150 players makes it even worse.

Every videogame will have a kill on sight mentality. You don't have to fear for your life since you will respawn anyway.. so if the guy robs you off your stuff.. why not take a swing at him? And putting mechanics in place to try and change the KoS mechanic only messes up what DayZ is.

Like trying to put focus on surviving zombies by making the ridicilous like the current mod build. It in fact only encourages pvp since it's much easier to just take your stuff from a guy you've shot with that lee enfield you found in some barn.

Consequence of them trying anyway is that DayZero now actually blows the original mod straight out of the water.. If only those guys had been give custody over the mod *drool*

They have to find a way to get value for the character,not only the gear.. Only way to counter the "no gear, might aswell Kill my self and maybe the other Guy With me". This could done With some kind of learning mechanic, it can be done that it wont lead some kind of bot grinding... Im not Talking about some perks and shit, those are for cod and Nothing point based System neighter... Like regular mmorpg's have...

They have to find a way to get value for the character,not only the gear.. Only way to counter the "no gear, might aswell Kill my self and maybe the other Guy With me". This could done With some kind of learning mechanic, it can be done that it wont lead some kind of bot grinding... Im not Talking about some perks and shit, those are for cod and Nothing point based System neighter... Like regular mmorpg's have...

But this is different, he wants this to be "realistic."

I know zombies are not realistic, but he's talking about if there was a zombie apocalypse, he would want the game to be like a real one.

This is about immersion, that's why he took away the HUD.

Yeah, that would be cool 'n' all, but I'd rather have realism than fantasy.

Am I the only one who would already be very content with an SA that is pretty much a proper working version of the mod? Dean has always said he's a fan of the Minecraft method, but other than just having people pay a reduced price for the alpha, there appears to be -no- common ground between Minecraft Alpha and DayZ Alpha. When MC was released as pay-for-alpha, you could destroy blocks and craft basic tools. They didn't have horses back then, or breeding, or redstone, or pistons, or the nether, etc.. They had the basic version of the game out and they added content over time. But what Dean appears to be doing is trying to push the shelf-worthy game out as alpha and then just spend the alpha-period testing for server stability and bugs. DayZ SA Alpha release, for me at least, should just have the new server tech (the MMO thing they keep talking about), the basic expanded map with the new open buildings, proper zeds (pathing, detection, damage, etc) and the trimming of the mod's babyfat (bugs related to the limitations of modding the engine, removing unwanted entities and data traffic, etc...). Everything else can be added through monthly updates (or whatever schedule they think is acceptable). I think people just want a version of DayZ that is stable, smooth and doesn't cause frustration because of the multitude of bugs. Once that has been established, all the extra content can come (attachments, crafting, expanded medical system, and so on). And sure, I can understand that the game is not ready for alpha release just yet, but spend all your time and resources fixing just that, don't spend it on coding writable labels or making the left big toe bleed when hit.

Minecraft had basic functionality. Currently, you can't even play DayZ without crashing.

• Like 1

That could work if they were to build something truly new way to make especially your character valuable. Personally I can only think that my own life (IRL) would be irreplaceable because I wouldnt exist no more (ha ha), point being that they have already in use that mechanic to identify your cd-key and have only one character in the game at the same time. So they could (im only guesstimating if it would be possible) make a timer that would make impossible for the died player to respawn into that same OR even any server in allotted time, say... 30 minutes? Then it would give a sanction to the player for being careless, brutal or just simply... stupid.  

Of course that might lower player base and have all those not-so-welcome side effects but... man can dream, man can dream.

• Like 1

That could work if they were to build something truly new way to make especially your character valuable. Personally I can only think that my own life (IRL) would be irreplaceable because I wouldnt exist no more (ha ha), point being that they have already in use that mechanic to identify your cd-key and have only one character in the game at the same time. So they could (im only guesstimating if it would be possible) make a timer that would make impossible for the died player to respawn into that same OR even any server in allotted time, say... 30 minutes? Then it would give a sanction to the player for being careless, brutal or just simply... stupid.  

Of course that might lower player base and have all those not-so-welcome side effects but... man can dream, man can dream.

That would give me more of an insentive to kill people just to laugh at knowing they're raging on the other end having to wait an allotted time-frame to play again.

• Like 3

Rust uses pretty much that exact same thing and I don't think they have any problems...

That's not the same as Gmod. In Gmod you could freely build, which you cannot in Rust.

I do think Rust is a very sweet game, and I'd definitely buy it, and I also think it'd work great in DayZ SA.

That would give me more of an insentive to kill people just to laugh at knowing they're raging on the other end having to wait an allotted time-frame to play again.

And that guy ^ would be the reason that isn't a good idea.  Plus the possibility of dieing to glitches or something could make it even more frustrating.  Especially when you don't have much time to play.

• Like 2

But this is different, he wants this to be "realistic."

I know zombies are not realistic, but he's talking about if there was a zombie apocalypse, he would want the game to be like a real one.

This is about immersion, that's why he took away the HUD.

Yeah, that would be cool 'n' all, but I'd rather have realism than fantasy.

Word here is authentic, yes he is seeking that and I am All for it.

So You Are saying that "human being" is not capable learning by doing Something and/or studying? And there for cannot be implemented to the Game in a way or Another?

If so thats silly.. We learn All the time so why couldnt the Game character, only question is how its done right..

I actually don't want to put any pressure on the devs, but it would be nice if I knew if the release date of the game will be within the next 2 weeks. I hope not. I am going on a holiday trip and if the release was happening while I am afk, I would get a heart attack. Take your time Rocket!

Minecraft had basic functionality. Currently, you can't even play DayZ without crashing.

Did you play pre-alpha?

Did you play pre-alpha?

It's a bit different since DayZ has allot more pre built hype and so will have more players smashing the servers from day one. MC grew quite slowly.

• Like 3