rocket

DayZ Developer Blog 3rd August 2013

Not really.

• Very Rare Ammo: 1 bullet may result in you getting 2 off the corpse. Humans love to gamble. I think this would actually increase the KoS rate.
  • One shot isn't always enough to kill someone.  Plus if you miss you risk blowing your cover and getting killed yourself.

• Economy: same as above, shooting someone could potentially result in doubling your wealth. And why trade when you can access and take everything the guy has at the cost of one bullet?
  • ​Possibility of the guy having a friend watching from afar who kills you afterwards.  Or another player even hears the shots and comes to investigate, sees you, then shoots you.  Maybe even zombies chasing you.

• Value of Life: this might help a little. Having people learn certain skillsets over time, like making fires or applying more effective bandages etc, may help people to think twice before doing something stupid.. But then again, is shooting someone on sight a stupid thing to do? I'd say it isn't, because it increases your chances of survival, since that's one less potential source of death to think about.
  • Like I said in the first response, if you end up missing the shot, you could get yourself killed.

The only thing that will make people think twice about shooting on sight, is a consequence. Is the shot worth the potentially lethal situation that might follow or not?

I've answered in red your statements.  

However I think if we truly want to stop KoS we are going to need some form of morality introduced into DayZ.  Something that will make players actually feel bad about shooting someone.  Not like the morality system we have in the mod.

Edited by Skat3rat

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fuck do you think you're talking to?

Sincerely,

Max Bickle

I think he talkin' to you.

• Like 1

I've answered in red your statements.  

However I think if we truly want to stop KoS we are going to need some form of morality introduced into DayZ.  Something that will make players actually feel bad about shooting someone.

dude... the morality system will still have to be an auto-imposed skill system... without all the niceness that comes with traditional auto-imposed skill systems...

Not really.

So, you've never watched Taxi Driver?

I thought that was godfather... naw man, I haven't watched taxi driver. is that the comedy with Danny De Vito? which episode?

Edited by codestargod

dude... the morality system will still have to be an auto-imposed skill system... without all the niceness that comes with traditional auto-imposed skill systems...

By morality, I meant something that will make players feel bad about killing others.  Not something like we have right now in the mod.

By morality, I meant something that will make players feel bad about killing others.  Not something like we have right now in the mod.

So let's say that there is a morality system in place... how exactly will this make a person 'feel bad'?? ooohh nooes... i haves -1000 morality. whut am i gunna do now?

You still have to tie this into some physical encumbrance that the avatar will accrue or it is pointless. And what about the plusses associated with +ve morality? This will require advantages being awarded.

In the real world, the encumbrance is that your ass get's haulled off to the penetentiary and be sexed up by hairy obease men if you are bad, or if you are good, you get lots of sex with beautiful women, along with fame, money and an assortment of psychidellic drugs, thereby gaining various advantages this way. Either way, certain skill proficiencies are acquired to be boasted (or not boasted) about.

It still boils down to having some kind of skills based system, which is what I have been a strong advocator of since the begining.

Edited by codestargod

Afaik there won't be any morality system or imposed repercussion for killing another player, except that of by engaging a player you are running the risk of ending up dead yourself due to the various reasons mentioned already.

As Dean says

We can't directly effect the way players play, without affecting the whole premise of player freedom.

It still boils down to having some kind of skills based system, which is what I have been a strong advocator of since the begining.

If you're hinting at a traditional "skill system" then I'd strongly disagree. You want skills and zombies go play WarZ. However a subtle implementation, far removed from a tiered system (for example), like Dean has been hinting at sounds like it may work.

• Like 1

And Rocket said,

Let there be light!

and light there was.

And Rocket saw that it was good, and he said,

My creation, it is good.

And on the 656th day, Rocket released his creation onto the world, and Rocket said,

My creation, it is good.

And Rocket set upon his creation a price-tag, and he said,

My creation, it will cost 10-25 dollars.

And he saw that it was good.

Edited by HumanBeing25

The last type of personality could be dealt with to some extent if there were some mechanism to tag the bastard's IP/game serial number via some form of external reporting system per server. It would require the victim to file a police incident report immediately after the KoS event. It would be up to a marshaling group deputized by administrators to investigate the scene of the crime in order to establish who the other avatars present were, and who fired the first shot.

With the client-server architecture now in place, it is entirely possible to chart the path of each client logged on to establish who was present at the scene of the crime. It would be a simple matter of checking to see whose historical paths intersect.

If a suspect or suspects are determined, then these would be monitored descretely for their ingame activities, warned and/or perm-banned.

Why would you suggest banning someone that kills people to fuck up their day? Killing someone is perfectly legal in this game, it doesn't brake any rules, any terms of service agreements or anything of the sort. Banning someone for killing you means you're either a pussy, or an admin power abusing pussy. Even to suggest reporting someone and tracking their IP/CDKey for killing you is fucking stupid, if people didn't want to get killed in DayZ they shouldn't be fucking playing the game in the first place.

• Like 2

Afaik there won't be any morality system or imposed repercussion for killing another player, except that of by engaging a player you are running the risk of ending up dead yourself due to the various reasons mentioned already.

As Dean says

We can't directly effect the way players play, without affecting the whole premise of player freedom.

Did anyone watch that episode of Seinfield about the show they were going to do about "nothing"? This is an awful lot like that. So how'd that work out for them?

Why would you suggest banning someone that kills people to fuck up their day? Killing someone is perfectly legal in this game, it doesn't brake any rules, any terms of service agreements or anything of the sort. Banning someone for killing you means you're either a pussy, or an admin power abusing pussy. Even to suggest reporting someone and tracking their IP/CDKey for killing you is fucking stupid, if people didn't want to get killed in DayZ they shouldn't be fucking playing the game in the first place.

If you throw a brick into a pack of wild dogs, the one who screams the loudest is usually the one you hit the hardest... :rolleyes:

Edited by codestargod

If you throw a brick into a pack of wild dogs, the one who screems the loudest is usually the one you hit the hardest... :rolleyes:

That doesn't excuse the fact that what you are suggesting is as retarded as Helen Keller. You suggest to kick/ban someone because they killed someone in a game about killing things with a malicious intent? Why don't you just ban 97% of the DayZ community off the bat? It's one of the most stupid suggestions I've heard since Christians state that being gay is a choice. It's fucking cretinous to the core. 

If that came to fruition then the game would be utter horse shit. Thank fuck Rocket isn't idiotic enough to implement anything as mind-bogglingly stupid.

• Like 3

That doesn't excuse the fact that what you are suggesting is as retarded as Helen Keller. You suggest to kick/ban someone because they killed someone in a game about killing things with a malicious intent? Why don't you just ban 97% of the DayZ community off the bat? It's one of the most stupid suggestions I've heard since Christians state that being gay is a choice. It's fucking cretinous to the core. 

If that came to fruition then the game would be utter horse shit. Thank fuck Rocket isn't idiotic enough to implement anything as mind-bogglingly stupid.

Well, if it's believed to be sufficient horse-shit enough to keep the third personality type I mentioned from buying the game, then I have proven my point and it should be implemented.

Now why do I get the feeling that you are this illusive third personality type? :rolleyes:

Edited by codestargod

So let's say that there is a morality system in place... how exactly will this make a person 'feel bad'?? ooohh nooes... i haves -1000 morality. whut am i gunna do now?

You still have to tie this into some physical encumbrance that the avatar will accrue or it is pointless. And what about the plusses associated with +ve morality? This will require advantages being awarded.

In the real world, the encumbrance is that your ass get's haulled off to the penetentiary and be sexed up by hairy obease men if you are bad, or if you are good, you get lots of sex with beautiful women, along with fame, money and an assortment of psychidellic drugs, thereby gaining various advantages this way. Either way, certain skill proficiencies are acquired to be boasted (or not boasted) about.

You can't tell me that wouldn't feel even some form of guilt if you killed someone irl even if there was not consequences to our actions.  This is what I mean.  If we want to stop KoS drastically then there will have to be some means of a person actually feeling bad about killing someone.  The problem is this is just a video game, and all you're doing is killing pixels.

There are a lot of good ideas that could possibly stop someone from shooting another player, like having limited ammo, but ultimately you would need some way to make a player feel bad about killing.  I'm just not sure if you could do that in a video game.

Well, if it's believed to be sufficient horse-shit enough to keep the third personality type I mentioned from buying the game, then I have proven my point and it should be implemented.

Now why do I get the feeling that you are this illusive third personality type? :rolleyes:

No I'm not that player architype. I shoot people if they're a threat, such as in my vercinity, going where I need to go, shooting at me etc. I still think that what you are suggesting is fucking ridiculous beyond words and the fact you suggested it leads me to believe you turn into a whiny bitch when killed by the aforementioned 'naughty people'. While you're at it why not track and ban IPs of people who say Fuck shit balls twat or cunt? Some people might find those words offensive! LETS BAN THEM!! Fucking stupid if you ask me.

EDIT: In fact, while you're at it, why not remove guns, melee weapons and the melee mechanism? That will stop people killing other people! YEAH! Make it a zombie survival horror FPS simulator without guns because someone might just use a bullet to hurt someone else! 

Edited by sabre05

You can't tell me that wouldn't feel even some form of guilt if you killed someone irl even if there was not consequences to our actions.  This is what I mean.  If we want to stop KoS drastically then there will have to be some means of a person actually feeling bad about killing someone.  The problem is this is just a video game, and all you're doing is killing pixels.

There are a lot of good ideas that could possibly stop someone from shooting another player, like having limited ammo, but ultimately you would need some way to make a player feel bad about killing.  I'm just not sure if you could do that in a video game.

Agreed. and i just explained how 'making a player feel bad or good' based on their actions is simulated. It is simulated by using a reward/sanction system. That is, Encumbrances  or Assists are added to the avatar depending on the players' past actions.

Yes, it has been done and is not new, but is the only way to assign pphysical meaning to morality in-game.

Edited by codestargod

No I'm not that player architype. I shoot people if they're a threat, such as in my vercinity, going where I need to go, shooting at me etc. I still think that what you are suggesting is fucking ridiculous beyond words and the fact you suggested it leads me to believe you turn into a whiny bitch when killed by the aforementioned 'naughty people'. While you're at it why not track and ban IPs of people who say Fuck shit balls twat or cunt? Some people might find those words offensive! LETS BAN THEM!! Fucking stupid if you ask me.

EDIT: In fact, while you're at it, why not remove guns, melee weapons and the melee mechanism? That will stop people killing other people! YEAH! Make it a zombie survival horror FPS simulator without guns because someone might just use a bullet to hurt someone else! 

Fine, then... if not perm ban, then the designers should make it possible for the wrath of god to manifest itself ingame. That is, if the player's morality is too low, they get a message from god warning them of this fact. If they still have not taken heed of god's warnings, they come down with a serious bout of the shittings. Or, they suffer from bad luck or poor concentration from the guilt, and mysteriously loose random items now and then, have weapons jam on occasion... just until they boost their morality back up to where it should be.

In tracking IPs after a victim has reported them, appointed marshals can track them down in-game, monitor them from a distance, give them warning...  or a taste of their own medicine. They could potentially be the Big Brother that you never had.

Edited by codestargod

Fine, then... if not perm ban, then the designers should make it possible for the wrath of god to manifest itself ingame. That is, if the player's morality is too low, they get a message from god warning them of this fact. If they still have not taken heed of god's warnings, they come down with a serious bout of the shittings. Or, they suffer from bad luck, and mysteriously  loose random items now and then... just until they boost their morality back up to whee it should be.

You are still contradicting everything Rocket is working towards. He doesn't want to get rid of KOS 100% and he couldn't if he tried, he also doesn't want to rape people who KOS of their gaming experience. He wants to make it easier and more of an option to work with people sure. But he doesn't want to take a steaming shit on the lone wolf who kills anyone in his way. 

In tracking IPs after a victim has reported them, appointed marshals can track them down in-game, monitor them from a distance, give them warning...  or a taste of their own medicine. They could potentially be the Big Brother that you never had.

So you would suggest giving someone the ability to see someone who just shoots and doesn't ask question on the other side of the map? 1 That defies the point of the whole bubble system being put into place and 2 it would be so easy to hack that system to track everyone.

• Like 2

Fine, then... if not perm ban, then the designers should make it possible for the wrath of god to manifest itself ingame. That is, if the player's morality is too low, they get a message from god warning them of this fact. If they still have not taken heed of god's warnings, they come down with a serious bout of the shittings. Or, they suffer from bad luck or poor concentration from the guilt, and mysteriously loose random items now and then, have weapons jam on occasion... just until they boost their morality back up to where it should be.

:lol:

You're on a wind up surely?

Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 1

what you jusr said...

Dude... just offering suggestions for how rocket could make this game more enjoyable for everyone.

another suggestion ifs for skills/abilities to be a feature that could be enabled/disabled server side.

Edited by codestargod

Dude... just offering suggestions for how rocket could make this game more enjoyable for everyone.

another suggestion ifs for skills/abilities to be a feature that could be enabled/disabled server side.

You know what I'd enjoy? Nothing you've suggested. As for skills and abilities, what's to stop someone from skilling into guns doing more damage/taking less durability/finding more ammo and fucking up people for no reason? You just contradicted yourself quite hard then.

Never going to happen. Everything you're suggesting goes against everything that made this mod popular in the first place.. The sense of freedom and "anything can happen". Removing player choice and forcing people to choose a path (a la a skill tree/system) is not what this game is, has ever been, or should ever be about.

Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 6

The sense of freedom and "anything can happen". Removing player choice and forcing people to choose a path (a la a skill tree/system) is not what this game is, has ever been, or should ever be about.

Amen

Well, if rocket really wants to add something that should stop the kos mentality he should add a possibility to find out who killed you and make a reward system for other players like you get killed by someone, you find out who it was, you get some bountyhunters and pay them with ammo or weapons or whatever to retrieve your stolen gear and kill the bandit.