rocket

DayZ Developer Blog 3rd August 2013

Firstly, rocket stated that wepons could be considerd levels. This will make the game crap. ALL Weapons have certain advantages and disadvantages, so there should be no clearly defined levels for guns. To say that there exists some better weapon that will automatically trump a previously owned weapon is absurd.

Take all that he says with a grain of Salt because it changes frequently

Yap Rocket always stated that progress (levelling) in the game will be made by getting better gear (weapons) ..

See? This is bullshit... >:(

For the blood and poop stains...they can't do unique interiors for every single house

You could create multiple template skins, add some random noise, and then randomly assign to the interiors.

It would simply require that the wals of houses become objects with properties. Skin templates also become objects with properties as well. One of the properties for a wall object is a randomly assigned skin object. In this case, you could even have an entirely new look on server restart by simply reshuffling the skin object assigned to a wall object.

Easy peasy... The power of object oriented programming. Hopefully his programmers know of this concept and have built it in at the core level, but from the sound of it, their OOP is at house level, and not at wall level. In this case, it is not granular enough... uhoh. :(

I hope they see this...

Edited by codestargod

After reviewing this blog again, I am seeing and hearing some things that would be considered crap.

Firstly, rocket stated that wepons could be considerd levels. This will make the game crap. ALL Weapons have certain advantages and disadvantages, so there should be no clearly defined levels for guns. To say that there exists some better weapon that will automatically trump a previously owned weapon is absurd.

Advantages/disadvantages over for example: revolvers vs semi-auto handguns, repeater shotguns vs. bolt actions, automatic rifles vs. double barrel shotguns should be incorporated into the game, as it is a key reason why there are still so many variations of old, yet fine weaponry out there for people to choose from, and most of it has to do with the functionality that the user would like to exploit from that gun. If the current DayZ concept of 'gun levels were true', then there would have long been designed a gun to render all others obsolete. Clearly, this is not the case. Currently, even though you do have a variety of weapons to choose from in DayZ, there is nothing really to set one rifle apart from the other, other than the fact that one fires multiple timess, whereas the other does not. This is BORING and childish!!

You don't just design an authentic weapon model forDayZ by designing moving parts for it, and maybe tweeking with the detail. You start with the internal functionality, right down to the level of the type of ammunition it uses. Any less and it is all one big farce.

Secondly, where are all the blood and poop stains that go on the inside walls of building?? I am tired of seeing pristine hotel rooms in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.

Lastly, if beans sound crunchy or have a crunchy texture when you munch on them, then maybe you shouldn't be etating them unless you desire a serious 'bout of the shittings... just a thought.

You are reading too much into what he said.  He is talking more about the weapon uprgrade, and attachment system.  You will, in essence, be able to 'level-up' your weapons.  Not to mention, gear has always been the 'levels' in DayZ.  The better you are prepared, the more you can handle. 

Also people like to use different weapons and gear, regardless of the merits or percieve disadvantages of said gear.  People also like to play different roles in their chosen groups/playstyle. 

People really need to learn how to NOT read between the lines.  Stop pulling more out of Rocket's mouth than it spews.  He's not lying to you, you people are lying to yourselves and getting all frazzled in the head.

Sheesh.

• Like 8

People really need to learn how to NOT read between the lines.  Stop pulling more out of Rocket's mouth than it spews.  He's not lying to you, you people are lying to yourselves and getting all frazzled in the head.

Sheesh.

I think you are reading between the lines here. I never accused rocket of lying, so stop lying to yourself and (possibly) getting all frazzled in the head (I suspect)... :P

Edited by codestargod

I think you are reading between the lines here. I never accused rocket of lying, so stop lying to yourself and (possibly) getting all frazzled in the head (I suspect)... :P

Exactly what i thought

No, but your theory-crafting is basically putting words in his mouth.  And you are getting worked up over one little thing he said in an interview.   He was giving an analogy.  Look up what that means, kid.

• Like 1

Graphically the game looks pretty but other than that, i'm kind of underwhelmed.

Dean Hall: "Guns are the levels in this game".

Not for me. For me, guns are the thing i spend hours finding and then they get taken away from me in a second because some guy shoots me in the head because there is no other way to interact with people.

I've been playing a mod (origins) that has a really good humanity system and i think it even effects the stats/abilities of your character. That is a leveling system.

THIS GAME NEEDS MELEE! In this teaser video you could see a guy crouch-moving without a gun and it looked like he had a lower/stealthier than people with guns. It would be amazing if this player could be a melee expert and have special abilities with knives.

Dean seem pretty much against the idea of creating quests in game which i think is a mistake. Raiding NPC bases is a great incentive for people to interact in more meaningful ways and provides different gameplay options.

Ultimately, i think the SA faces some stiff competition from the day z modding community which seems stage to say...

I know many of you will not agree with me but i don't need you to. This is just my honest opinion, like it or lump it. 

Edited by Rek Seven

@AlfalphaCat

I Sir, challenge you to a duel. *slap*

Edited by codestargod

It's so cute when trolls don't know they are a troll.

I win. Enjoy your injuries. :)

THIS GAME NEEDS MELEE! In this teaser video you could see a guy crouch-moving without a gun and it looked like he had a lower/stealthier than people with guns. It would be amazing if this player could be a melee expert and have special abilities with knives.

They're working on a melee system for both bayonets and unarmed/melee weapons. Dean said this a fair few pages back.

It's so cute when trolls don't know they are a troll.

I win. Enjoy your injuries. :)

hmmm... I didn't think you are that cute tho, but suit yourself.

also, if you are going to go for to the trouble of introducing a hostage system, you need to introduce blindfolds. 

They're working on a melee system for both bayonets and unarmed/melee weapons. Dean said this a fair few pages back.

Ah okay, that's good to know. Thanks!

I hope that a person that only uses knives has different abilities. e.g. unique stances, combat rolling, quicker movement, throwing knives etc. 

Edited by Rek Seven

I don't think a hostage system is that important so much sothat it needs to be in the first release. Sounds to me like people are anxious to stir up strife and recalcitrance instead of actually surviving. Remember, it is primarily a zombie apocalypse and not cops and robbers game.Let us strive to preserve civility, even in the midst of distopic conditions.

Edited by codestargod

I don't think a hostage system is that important so much sothat it needs to be in the first release. Sounds to me like people are more interested in stirring up strife for other survivors instead of actually surviving. Remember, it is primarily a zombie apocalypse and not cops and robbers game.Let us strive to preserve civility, even in the midst of distopic conditions.

It depends on what systems they add in the future. Eventually i would like to see the ability to grow crops on farms... well i have zombies to kill and guns to loot so i'm going to need slaves to tend to my fields  :P

Edited by Rek Seven

Nothing has changed, people cant read or\and listen...or just wont(or want to) understand. Nothing is enough for some people. It hurts my brain reading through this thread... Stupidity is overwhelming.

• Like 2

Dean seem pretty much against the idea of creating quests in game which i think is a mistake. Raiding NPC bases is a great incentive for people to interact in more meaningful ways and provides different gameplay options.

Revenge your death with your friends and start a war against the people who killed you. I died once in Stary when helicopter came and started to shoot me. We knew what group had the helicopters in that server and we started to look for their base. We learned that they kept their helicopter in the gas station between Polana and Gorka and that they have some kind of base in the factory between Polana and Orlovets. First we tried to raid the helicopter base and destroy the helicopter but it wasn't easy because there were people guarding it and we had to fall back because of too many losses. On the second day we gathered 10 people group from friends and friends friends and went to raid the factory with success.

Those kind of quest you can do in DayZ. There's no need for scripted things.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 7

Am I the only one who would already be very content with an SA that is pretty much a proper working version of the mod?

Dean has always said he's a fan of the Minecraft method, but other than just having people pay a reduced price for the alpha, there appears to be -no- common ground between Minecraft Alpha and DayZ Alpha.

When MC was released as pay-for-alpha, you could destroy blocks and craft basic tools. They didn't have horses back then, or breeding, or redstone, or pistons, or the nether, etc.. They had the basic version of the game out and they added content over time.

But what Dean appears to be doing is trying to push the shelf-worthy game out as alpha and then just spend the alpha-period testing for server stability and bugs.

DayZ SA Alpha release, for me at least, should just have the new server tech (the MMO thing they keep talking about), the basic expanded map with the new open buildings, proper zeds (pathing, detection, damage, etc) and the trimming of the mod's babyfat (bugs related to the limitations of modding the engine, removing unwanted entities and data traffic, etc...).

Everything else can be added through monthly updates (or whatever schedule they think is acceptable). I think people just want a version of DayZ that is stable, smooth and doesn't cause frustration because of the multitude of bugs. Once that has been established, all the extra content can come (attachments, crafting, expanded medical system, and so on).

And sure, I can understand that the game is not ready for alpha release just yet, but spend all your time and resources fixing just that, don't spend it on coding writable labels or making the left big toe bleed when hit.

Edited by Applejuice
  • Like 2

Never played the game but can you actually keep a heli over a server restart????

Rocket on twitter :

Right now I'm further scoping the new proposal for zombie AI, tasking bugs associated with the MP test, and reviewing new items #DayZDaily

Dat Frankie vid is gr8, Rocket should talk to Frankie more often...

Edited by AP_Norris
  • Like 1

Am I the only one who would already be very content with an SA that is pretty much a proper working version of the mod?

Dean has always said he's a fan of the Minecraft method, but other than just having people pay a reduced price for the alpha, there appears to be -no- common ground between Minecraft Alpha and DayZ Alpha.

When MC was released as pay-for-alpha, you could destroy blocks and craft basic tools. They didn't have horses back then, or breeding, or redstone, or pistons, or the nether, etc.. They had the basic version of the game out and they added content over time.

True enough about the Minecraft release. It released as an ALPHA, DayZ SA is currently Pre-Alpha. Want to look at Minecraft when it was pre alpha? Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9t3FREAZ-k

• Like 2

#itsabug #NightmareFuel #WhyDayZIsntReleased

BQ-wiTTCIAIxXF1.png

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 7

#itsabug #NightmareFuel #WhyDayZIsntReleased

BQ-wiTTCIAIxXF1.png

Keep that motherfucker in as a special zombie! 10 meter swing range! #makeitso.

• Like 2