rocket

DayZ Developer Blog 3rd August 2013

Looks really good cant wait....

Zombies looked awesome to me, loved the chase scene they look scary & fast !  Please Dean, keep the zombies that fast and blood thirsty in the release pleaseeee ;-) 

Must release a night time blog next ;-) 

gg

Some feedback :

- I'm pleasently surprised with the animations, looks way better than before! Still, I think the "shooting from hip" animation looks terribly awkward. I hope they'll see how bad it looks and get rid of this feature (I think it's useless and a standard civilian in a zombie apocalypse would never run and gun in the first place).

- Player movements still look a bit too fast compared to the animations. Running and some transitions still look a bit off.

- Another complain I've got is with the clothing art style, the color palette looks a bit all over the place... I mean green jeans? Who wears green jeans seriously? I'd rather see more beige/camo/brown clothing. A unified color palette across all clothing would help set the tone. Inspiration can be taken from The Road, the last of us, etc...

- the clothing models do look amazing. (have you noticed the new backpacks have straps now?? epic stuff)

- Zombies are not as terrible as I would have expected. I still think their walking animation is not as good as in the mod.. Looks a bit like a parody right now. However, they do look more fluid, and the attack animations are pretty amazing.

- Everything looks a bit "fast forward", like if every animation were playing a bit too fast compared to reality.

- The attention to details on the M4 is sick. Gun feeling looks better, but sometimes the handling doesn't look natural.

- The icons in the inventory are so much better, it's good to see they're paying attention to every detail.

- Once again, the lighting looks a bit weird, too saturated, even when they are clouds, there's definitely some improvements to be made on HDR settings I think.

Yeh, I agree with a lot of that.

Regarding the HDR lighting, bloom, saturation and PPE all of that is very much tweakable on your own system, for example I don't like the camera blur when you move your head so I have it turned off.  I also have "bloom" at a much lower level than seen in the vid.   I'd imagine it'll only be addressed in detail later on in development during the proper optimisation of the game.

Regarding the colour pallete of the clothes, I agree, the new models/textures really do look good.  I actually like the mish-mash of styles and colours, it represents the fact that you're just salvaging anything you can.  If you think that eventually we will have hundreds of clothing items to choose from it'll always be a bit of a mix.  In design terms I'd hate to see them try and add an overall "pallette" to try and force a certain feel.

The gun handling is pretty basic atm.  The M4 will be the gun they use as a benchmark.  Once they are happy with it the other guns can be introduced.  ATM it does feel/look a bit weird at times but that will be improved.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

I don't want to be "that" guy, but limited information hardly stops ESPs and the like

The guy will still know the exact position of everybody within X kilometres, which kinda is the purpose of an ESP.

A cheating sniper in cherno who knows the position of everything within 2km or so is still deadly

I don't want to be "that" guy, but limited information hardly stops ESPs and the like

The guy will still know the exact position of everybody within X kilometres, which kinda is the purpose of an ESP.

A cheating sniper in cherno who knows the position of everything within 2km or so is still deadly

I do not know the way that the bubble will work.. Everyone assumes that it is like a proper sphere with a proper radius in which the players can only be aware of  the game.

I like to think of a different way when describing the bubble, which is kinda complicated to explain tho. If you wanna hear me out, i might explain it to you via PM.

basically from the video heres what i got back....

basically christmas release

motion blur / it looks like arma 3. (movements look more clanky than what we have in the mod now )

• Like 1

To rocket:

Do you feel like your ambitions with standalone are being hindered by the restrictions that the current multiplayer technology pose? Can you tell us a bit about the sacrifises that have been made due to such limitations?

Thanks

The zombies are still fast-paced in an extremely buggy way like in the mod. Their movement should be consistent, not all over the place. (eg. a running zombie randomly stops running for a second then instantly boosts back into run mode, looks silly)

basically from the video heres what i got back....

basically christmas release

motion blur / it looks like arma 3. (movements look more clanky than what we have in the mod now )

The blur can be turned off/ reduced, and the movement such as walking into a building or turning a corner is a lot smoother than it used to be, better than Arma 3 in my opinion.

• Like 1

I do not know the way that the bubble will work.. Everyone assumes that it is like a proper sphere with a proper radius in which the players can only be aware of  the game.

I like to think of a different way when describing the bubble, which is kinda complicated to explain tho. If you wanna hear me out, i might explain it to you via PM.

If you assume that there is going to be some kind of occlusion culling for sent information, that's a no

You'd have to do a HUGE amount of additional work per servertick. that's just not doable with affordable technology, especially since server capacity is to be increased

Besides that a Sniper with esp and aimbot in cherno is still deadly, even if he only receives information about players he can shoot. Actually it wouldn't affect him at all

• Like 1

Nice blog..

When the devs say 2-3 months what it really means is 5-6 months.

I'd have purchased the game even if there were nothing to do in it, but that may just be because it's been marketed nicely to me.

I am quitting playing any games in the time it'll be released anyway, so my time is up with this game for sure, given the added release time. Oh, well. It was fun being a fanboy while it lasted.

It better out before battlefield 4 and GTA 5 or it might not get any attention from me...

• Like 1

It better out before battlefield 4 and GTA 5 or it might not get any attention from me...

this.

Some feedback :

- Everything looks a bit "fast forward", like if every animation were playing a bit too fast compared to reality.

I agree completley with this. This is the biggest problem in the animations now.

I liked mostly. But yes, imo, movement feels too fast. Also, i must point on zeds - they have to be more awful and predatory. That don't mean running speed, but ability to surround the victim.

Also, give them a more spooky laugh. What they would occasionally utter. Something as here.

Survivors must be scare sh*t out from himself, when these creatures pursuing them.

The player must feel oneself as the person on whom hunts groups of sodomites, pedophiles and cannibals. And who are in real trouble.

Imho.

I liked mostly. But yes, imo, movement feels too fast. Also, i must point on zeds - they have to be more awful and predatory. That don't mean running speed, but ability to surround the victim.

Also, give them a more spooky laugh. What they would occasionally utter. Something as here.

Survivors must be scare sh*t out from himself, when these creatures pursuing them.

The player must feel oneself as the person on whom hunts groups of sodomites, pedophiles and cannibals. And who are in real trouble.

Imho.

I personally hate the zombie sounds...

It sounds like you stuck a retard inside a zombie outfit and broke his legs so he would limp everywhere...

But, alas, they have better tech  in the SA so...

Well, I don't give a damn about either of those games.

• Like 1

I personally hate the zombie sounds...

It sounds like you stuck a retard inside a zombie outfit and broke his legs so he would limp everywhere...

All zombie sounds will be re-recorded later on in development as confirmed by Rocket.  For now they're placeholders.

Regarding the colour pallete of the clothes, I agree, the new models/textures really do look good.  I actually like the mish-mash of styles and colours, it represents the fact that you're just salvaging anything you can.  If you think that eventually we will have hundreds of clothing items to choose from it'll always be a bit of a mix.  In design terms I'd hate to see them try and add an overall "pallette" to try and force a certain feel.

I'm all for lots of diversity. I think the biggest problem is the materials are just not rendered correctly. Doesn't look natural.That pink/purple hat is horrible. Those yellow cargo pants are disgusting. The green jeans, and green hoodie look like... vomit. I'm sorry it's what it inspires me when I watch the video. On the other hand, I really dig the new backpack. it's all about making things look realistic and not just tweaking some hue setting in photoshop thinking it's enough to make different clothing colors. It's just not enough.

• Like 1

Yeh, Rockets talked about that in the past, it's not something I know much about or can pretend to understand though, all I do know is that they're very aware of it.

Are they? They keep talking about only using VAC, which won't detect any cheats. I still don't understand why they didn't go with BattlEye, or atleast both...

I'm all for lots of diversity. I think the biggest problem is the materials are just not rendered correctly. Doesn't look natural.That pink/purple hat is horrible. Those yellow cargo pants are disgusting. The green jeans, and green hoodie look like... vomit. I'm sorry it's what it inspires me when I watch the video. On the other hand, I really dig the new backpack. it's all about making things look realistic and not just tweaking some hue setting in photoshop thinking it's enough to make different clothing colors. It's just not enough.

I guess the actual styling of the clothes is purely subjective.  I think we'll just have to disagree about the actual textures, to me in game they look amazing and fit with the enviroment well.  It's worth remembering though that what you've seen is a tiny example of what will be available.  For example the green jeans are aslo available in dark blue, black and so on.  

For me it's all about variation.  The more choice we have the better.  The gear isn't supposed to look "cool" as we see in many games, it's just there to be used or not.  Looting is a big part of DayZ so you'll be able to find clothes that suit the look you want or that suits your character.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

I guess the actual styling of the clothes is purely subjective.  It's worth remembering though that what you've seen is a tiny example of what will be available.  For example the green jeans are aslo available in dark blue, black and so on.  

For me it's all about variation.  The more choice we have the better.  The gear isn't supposed to look "cool" as we see in many games, it's just there to be used or not.  Looting is a big part of DayZ so you'll be able to find clothes that suit the look you want or that suits your character.

I've graduated from an art school that's maybe because those kind of things hurt my eyes so much. Graphics are secondary in terms of polygons and shaders and stuff, but for me they are important when it comes to colors and reinforcing an atmosphere. Looks like the SA lost a lot of atmosphere compared to dayz mod, which is kind of sad.

I dont see any improvements over E3 gameplay. Maybe except tons of blur, but that's not improvement.

Anyway see you in 2-3months for another dev blog where we will get informed Alpha was postponed till november/december.

Edited by Jebaka
  • Like 1

Let's evaluate what the dev team has managed over the passing of approx. a year:

Added zombie path finding - still not sufficiently functional.

Added zombie jump animations - still not sufficiently functional.

Added new weaponry - still not sufficiently functional.

Added dynamic spawn locations for objects.

Added customizable gear and weaponry - still not sufficiently functional.

Added a radio - still not sufficiently functional.

Added a character UI - still not sufficiently functional.

Changed loot system...

And possible more.

Is this what we can expect from approx. a year of development?

• Like 3