SmashT

Rezzed - June 2013 - Developer Session

how would you understand then the idea of "classes", what would be your interpretation? just curious...AND dean spoke just about such a thing in the past

it was only a "wild and free interpretation" ;)

ppl should also realize that this "skills/classes are a no-go" attitude changed completely recently. they openly consider some of this stuff.

edit:

http://www.reddit.co...kill_trees_and/ for example

he said, and i quote 'entirely playstyle driven classes' which means that there is no stat bonuses or anything. it just means that a person can be an expert in medicine if they practise long enough. effectively everyone is still equal.
  • Like 3

If the soda mechanic worked in the mod, I'd probably have diabeetus :(

Can't wait to stroll through Elektro blasting metal and shotgunning pepsi.

• Like 6

Wait wait wait, stop right here. It's a game, okay? They've got the engine, but still they have the whole source code in their hands (I mean the game engineer's hands or whatever) .C++ = everything possible, isn't it?

Not trying to be gummy BTW, but this is the reality.

No, it isn't because there are finite resources. Add basketball sized computers for servers, gamers having NASA computers, trillion dollar budget, 1000 developers and then we would talk about "almost everything being possible". Game engines specialize in different things. They sometimes have to sacrifice one feature to make another feature better (or possible at all) and it's impossible to make one game engine best for every kind of games. Even Crytek did it when they updated CryEngine 2 to 3 - better graphics, details, performance, console support but much smaller practical world size limit. Hard to call it an optimization when you cut features to achieve better performance. UDK based multiplayer games are unplayable with more than 40 players on a server. These are some of the best engines and wouldn't handle DayZ and Chernarus map and there is a reason for that.

Some of technical problems of Arma engines come from big scale ambitions. Other studios usually don't do it (especially for multiplayer), because most gamers prefer tighter games with great fidelity and nice details, while MMO games hide technical limitations with archaic gamedesign and non-realtime mechanics.

• Like 6

he said, and i quote 'entirely playstyle driven classes' which means that there is no stat bonuses or anything. it just means that a person can be an expert in medicine if they practise long enough. effectively everyone is still equal.

yeah and i said i believe they could do something like perks for the ones that decide to play as medic/mechanic/etc... just look at this

Are you baking more social dynamics and mechanics into the game, or are you happy to leave those interactions up to the players?

Probably a bit of both. We will experiment – and that’s what this is all about. For me, and the game as well, people responded well to an experiment like Minecraft. But it’s no secret I follow Kerbal Space Program, FTL, and Prison Architect. Players responded really well to those experiments, so we want to continue like that as well. Social interaction is one of those areas we want to experiment with.

We’re looking at ideas, and we haven’t actually implemented these yet, but we’re looking at how we could have it so that some skills, maybe, are socially learned or enhanced. Maybe very advanced skills, like being a doctor, the ability to do very specific things like suturing, might be earned those ways.

We’re looking at how we could have it so that some skills, maybe, are socially learned or enhanced…like being a doctor

We’re still undecided about that, because we really want to have the game avoid things like specific skill trees and stuff like that. But having it socially developed as a skill, or something you get better at through repeated use, and more of those options for social interaction like suturing, setting fractures, these kinds of things are social options. The best example we have at the moment are blood transfusions, which seem to be well-received as a reason to socially interact.

If you do go forward this something like this, would it develop a greater sense of persistence per character life? Is that something you want to encourage?

Absolutely, but I don’t want to get people’s hopes up about a skill system or skill tree, so we’re more looking at how players develop the abilities to do certain things, and how players develop the ability to get better at doing things.

To provide a tangible example of something we know we want the player to do – we don’t want the player to start the game and choose how their character is going to be. That will actually come out as they play the game. An example would be wanting your character to wear a cowboy hat, camouflage jacket and black pants. You’re going to have to find those items in the world. Your humanity, and these kinds of things, will affect how you look. The way you play the game will affect your player. As we explore what the player can do, that is something we’re interested in, but it’s going to require a lot of experimentation.

We don’t want the player to start the game and choose how their character is going to be

A couple of examples we thought of were very advanced skills, such as advanced repair of aircraft and vehicles. That’s not a skill that everybody has. And various doctor-related skills. They aren’t things that everybody just has; they’re things that maybe people can learn, but they’ll require practice and maybe some social interaction.

http://www.pcpowerpl...nded-interview/

edit: so i think i understood what dean was saying

Edited by joe_mcentire

Awesome work DayZ team, the radio station idea is blowing my mind right now ("threedog ouuuuut").

No, it isn't because there are finite resources. Add basketball sized computers for servers, gamers having NASA computers, trillion dollar budget, 1000 developers and then we would talk about "almost everything being possible". Game engines specialize in different things. They sometimes have to sacrifice one feature to make another feature better (or possible at all) and it's impossible to make one game engine best for every kind of games. Even Crytek did it when they updated CryEngine 2 to 3 - better graphics, details, performance, console support but much smaller practical world size limit. Hard to call it an optimization when you cut features to achieve better performance. UDK based multiplayer games are unplayable with more than 40 players on a server. These are some of the best engines and wouldn't handle DayZ and Chernarus map and there is a reason for that.

Some of technical problems of Arma engines come from big scale ambitions. Other studios usually don't do it (especially for multiplayer), because most gamers prefer tighter games with great fidelity and nice details, while MMO games hide technical limitations with archaic gamedesign and non-realtime mechanics.

Obviously we're not talking here about CryEngine, UDK and other developement kits which NO ONE supports such a huge environment like Chernarus or Stratis (from ArmA 3). But still, it's all about the human brain, you know that quote - Brain - use it. The NASA computers have nothing to do with the normal computer architecture (Internal memory - CPU - RAM etc. etc.). You just can't believe what you're told to believe, right?

EDIT: I've been reading your post over and over again and I'm really agreed with your statement about sacrificing features to make others better, beans for that. I'm a former PAWN/Small-C developer and I've been through this many times. But I'm not about to compare myself to the magnificant DayZ developement team. Bravo!

Edited by Barrett_killz

Did i hear Dean say that the alpha will release within a week? :D

If I drank five cans of pepsi in one hour I would probably feel sick. :thumbsup:

thumbs up for attention to detail.

The key phrase to keep in mind while playing DayZ is "What would I do in real life". The game is so detailed and authentic that what you would do in real life is most likely similar to what you would do ingame. In real life you don't drink 5 sodas before working out, so don't abuse it in game. In real life cholera is deadly, so it is deadly in game. In real life radios don't have unlimited range, so they don't ingame.

Etc etc etc

:)

Did i hear Dean say that the alpha will release within a week? :D

Nope.

They have narrowed down the release to a week time period. Not this week necessarily or even next week. But their goal is too release they game in between Day Y and Day Z ( oh god variable puns ^_^).

Does that make sense? It is kinda hard to describe what he meant in words.

• Like 1

If I drank five cans of pepsi in one hour I would probably feel sick. :thumbsup:

thumbs up for attention to detail.

The key phrase to keep in mind while playing DayZ is "What would I do in real life". The game is so detailed and authentic that what you would do in real life is most likely similar to what you would do ingame. In real life you don't drink 5 sodas before working out, so don't abuse it in game. In real life cholera is deadly, so it is deadly in game. In real life radios don't have unlimited range, so they don't ingame.

Etc etc etc

:)

That's the point of every game. To implement something which avoids abusing, the devs have to sacrifice a "realism" feature. This is how it works.

Nope.

They have narrowed down the release to a week time period. Not this week necessarily or even next week. But their goal is too release they game in between Day Y and Day Z ( oh god variable puns ^_^).

Does that make sense? It is kinda hard to describe what he meant in words.

Yeah i understand, thanks :)

Why are people worried about radios being abused? This isn't the mod, loot's gonna be rare, you're gonna need batteries.

• Like 1

Great stuff. Hopefully it doesn't get released when I'm on vacation... But hey, can't complain.

But damn, still kind of a bummer to hear Rocket talk about the stances looking more civilian. I get where he's coming from, but, the stances really bother me. I wish they'd change eventually.

• Like 1

From past interviews ive seen dean give, he has said he wants zombies that eat alot (kill players) will get faster and stronger, and zombies that dont eat alot will slow down to walking pace, So in the high populated areas (the airfields, stary, cherno, electro. etc) the zombies will be tough

Will make for some interesting gameplay :D

Really?! That would be more than awesome! The features this game promises to deliver are mind-blowing! So much variety... so much beauty in the world^^

radios are a really cool addition to the game as far as communication goes. however, i am just curious who will be broadcasting music during the zombie apocalypse? i mean, is it really plausible?

• Like 1

radios are a really cool addition to the game as far as communication goes. however, i am just curious who will be broadcasting music during the zombie apocalypse? i mean, is it really plausible?

Seems to work for Fallout :|

my idea was to setup own pirate radio stations. but i don't know what they are really planing...

Looks really good. They could start up the Alpha after fixing a few of the animations(player and zombie animations) and polishing the game a bit overall(performance and maybe a bit of the UI). I predict 2-3 weeks before Alpha release.

Edited by TiredMiner

I guess like a lot of the other additions to the game you have to think about it in terms of creative potential for the player, or what the community will use them for. As I understand it, it was a relatively easy thing for them to add to the game and it's experimental so if nothing really comes of it it's not like they've invested tons of resources into it.

It won't just be random internet radio stations being streamed into the game, Dean has asked for people to make submissions for live internet radio stations that will play in-game in real time. These could be used for lot's of things.

The radio itself in game could be useful too. You could use it to lure zeds away from a building you want to loot. You could use it to lure people into a trap. You could sit around with some friends and have a party, really it's up to the player to decide.

I can't think of any other games that have tried something similar so really it's just a case of trying it and seeing if it pans out well. It could end up being forgotten about in the future or it could become really popular with well known stations and a lot of people talking about how awesome it is. Time will tell I guess, worth a try though surely?

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2