SmashT

Rezzed - June 2013 - Developer Session

You do realize the radio broadcasting stations are roleplaying stations by the players themselves? I for one am really looking forward to the radios.

oh well if it is then fine :) was just kind of worried you would start hearing 80's shitty disco everywhere ahah

• Like 1

oh well if it is then fine :) was just kind of worried you would start hearing 80's shitty disco everywhere ahah

Again, as people mentioned, I'm sure it'll be quite difficult to actually find and sustain a working radio (what with the battery requirements and whatnot) so I doubt it'll be that much of an issue. However, I do agree with your comment about the broadcast in the demonstration not sounding like it's being emitted from a radio. Hopefully the demo, was just that, and that feedback or interference wil lbe added to improve immersion. As I said, it'd literally take 5 minutes to create a working solution in an open-source audio programming environment such as Pure Data

Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 1

Since I can't remember:

Did it ever come up that clothes you find someplace can have germs on them? I recall Dean spraying with this disinfection bottle at items he found and saying something about it but what magnitude will that have? Can every item be contaminated? Sorry if this a stupid question ;)

I think so. Anything can be infected with diseases.

I wonder if the disinfectant can be infected??!!

So every time you pick something up you are in peril of infecting yourself? Sounds tricky...

I think you will just have to get into the habit of disinfecting everything, though surely not all diseases are killed with a little spray bottle?

I think you will just have to get into the habit of disinfecting everything, though surely not all diseases are killed with a little spray bottle?

that sounds....odd. i don't know if i would want to constantly use disinfectants on any item. that sounds too real to be fun

Edited by joe_mcentire

A Radio station that plays The World War Z Audiobook would be great imo to get into the whole Zombie Apocalypse vibe whilst looting for gear. :beans:

Edited by Moxyz1

that sounds....odd. i don't know if i would want to constantly use disinfectants on any item. that sounds too real to be fun

I agree - disinfecting every little thing you find would get old very quickly

You do realize the radio broadcasting stations are roleplaying stations by the players themselves? I for one am really looking forward to the radios.

I thought Rocket has said many times that you will be able to pull stations from the internet. Or did I misunderstand him? I'll have to find him saying it somewhere but I'm pretty sure he's said it a lot.

I agree - disinfecting every little thing you find would get old very quickly

maybe adding a "disinfect entire belongings" would do the trick. and of course it matters how the disinfection will work: immediately or is it something that works over time. so do you need to disinfect right away or is it enough to do it sporadically..

Edited by joe_mcentire

I thought Rocket has said many times that you will be able to pull stations from the internet. Or did I misunderstand him? I'll have to find him saying it somewhere but I'm pretty sure he's said it a lot.

Yes, it will stream live radio from the interwebz. Live radio stations that have been endorsed by the devs as I understand it. They are currently accepting applications.

I even think 500k is still too much.

I think DayZ SA will be lucky to even have 25k people.

or can you use infected water in the disinfectant botteland run around infecting stuff > :D

Edited by King Tubbs
  • Like 1

Nobody's requiring you to disinfect anything. Rocket recently stated something along the lines of "if you don't disinfect something, it doesn't mean you will get infected". It's just risk mitigation, as are most things in DayZ.

:| I think you're a dumbass. One of us is right. Any guesses?

• Like 3

Believe me, if Frankie uploads his first video about the standalone, every second viewer will buy it, regardless of being bugged as hell or not. The fact that the game costs at the beginning way less than after development is a very good reason for many to buy it immediatly and Frankie will, of course, tell them about the price.

Yes, it will stream live radio from the interwebz. Live radio stations that have been endorsed by the devs as I understand it. They are currently accepting applications.

Eeeeeexcellent!

That 1.7 million players is overall, I can guarantee there are not that many that play the game currently.

Yes I do realize that 1.7 players is the total number of people who bought the game from day one. Maybe you are right, but there are many DayZ players who stopped playing the mod and are just waiting for standalone. A few friends of mine are not even mod players but they will be getting standalone. We shall see how many will play it when it comes out.

I guess like a lot of the other additions to the game you have to think about it in terms of creative potential for the player, or what the community will use them for. As I understand it, it was a relatively easy thing for them to add to the game and it's experimental so if nothing really comes of it it's not like they've invested tons of resources into it.

It won't just be random internet radio stations being streamed into the game, Dean has asked for people to make submissions for live internet radio stations that will play in-game in real time. These could be used for lot's of things.

The radio itself in game could be useful too. You could use it to lure zeds away from a building you want to loot. You could use it to lure people into a trap. You could sit around with some friends and have a party, really it's up to the player to decide.

I can't think of any other games that have tried something similar so really it's just a case of trying it and seeing if it pans out well. It could end up being forgotten about in the future or it could become really popular with well known stations and a lot of people talking about how awesome it is. Time will tell I guess, worth a try though surely?

I totally agree with you and don't get me wrong, I never said I didn't like the idea. It reminds me of the movie American Psycho where christian bale is killing the guy with an axe and "too hip to be square" is playing in the background. It adds a further darkness to the scene in a facetious way. Like it makes you think "thats fucked up/awful/etc." but almost laugh because "too hip to be square" is setting the mood.

It just seems like a small immersion breaker due to the fact that most people would worry about their own survival rather than broadcast music to listeners who may not exist. I would still vote for it every time, but this will always be in the back of my mind. Just my .02.

The way I see it is, the more radios someone tries to troll people with, the more free radios I get to run around and collect.

Im gonna open up an Electrical shop in Electro and sell Radios :P

• Like 1