SmashT

Rezzed - June 2013 - Developer Session

Is it just me or does the zombie pathfinding seem to have taken a step back? Or maybe its development just completely stopped after they changed it back in March.

Take a look at this video briefly:

http://youtu.be/W8xcv51C2ug?t=18m34s

Now watch this:

http://youtu.be/AKwMVPETfs0?t=16m42s

In the second video the zombie has this ridiculous arching pattern as it comes in for the attack. It doesn't find a direct line like it should, and as the first video suggests it would.

What's even more weird is Rocket specifically says in the first video that zombies don't have to be outrageously fast like they used to because they just follow you better. Which I think is the right way to go. But in the E3 and Rezzed videos they are very fast and the pathfinding doesn't seem too great.

Also, while the timing of zombie attack animations and damage was out of sync, it also looks like the zombies miss a lot in general.

I hope that the zombie problems get addressed soon. I'm guessing release in the next couple weeks and I hope the focus until then is on optimizing the zombies because while I'm quite impressed with the game, I believe a zombie game should have high quality, threatening zombies. And the threat should come from their intended danger, not the danger of glitchy creatures. I would be happy with minimal items and features and a perfect zombie system. Get on it!

Edited by AnarchyBrownies
  • Like 6

Honestly, I'm not too bothered about the zeds atm. Dean has said they're broken with many placeholder animations etc and won't really come together until everything they need for them has been added. If they still look like that in 2 weeks time and Dean says he's happy with them then I'll start to panic.

Edited by Fraggle

@AnarchyBrownies I think they did the best they could. The shitty arma 2 engine is at fault here. Even though they modified it slightly, I don't think the Dayz SA team has resources to completely redo the entire thing. I wouldn't expect anything special happening with the zombie pathfinding, other than slight improvement.

Edited by infi

If they still look like that in 2 weeks tome and Dean says he's happy with them then I'll start to panic.

Brix will be shat.

Their main focus now should be the zeds.

• Like 1

dean hall is doing a horrible job at keeping people's hype low.

currently hype levels are reaching a new peak. the highest one ever infact.

Edited by Wep0n
  • Like 1

Honestly, I'm not too bothered about the zeds atm. Dean has said they're broken with many placeholder animation etc and won;t really come together until everything they need for them has been added. If they still look like that in 2 weeks tome and Dean says he's happy with them then I'll start to panic.

Yeah, overall I'm not too worried. Really my post was about why it looks as though the pathfinding has taken a step BACK. It could be that it hasn't and it just looks to me as though it has, but I've seen multiple complaints about the pathfinding and I think so far I've seen nothing that looks like what was shown in the March video.

The sequencing and all that I'm not really concerned about but if that goes on top of more severe problems then I think there will be reason to start worrying (in a couple/few weeks, as you said).

EDIT: @infi Yeah I know what you're saying, I'm just talking about what they demonstrated the zombies were capable of in the March video vs. what they are actually doing now. According to the pathfinding video the potential seems quite awesome, but since then it has somehow appeared to regress. So I'm not talking about my expectations, just what they've previously demonstrated. There could be a very good reason why the pathfinding seems worse! It could be that it changes slightly once you introduce attacks, I'm not sure. But a little clarification on the regression would be nice.

• Like 1

The only thing i demand is a black leather coat, black pants, black leather boots, sunglasses and a sawed off shotgun... i can handle myself from there...

• Like 4

The only thing i demand is a black leather coat, black pants, black leather boots, sunglasses and a sawed off shotgun... i can handle myself from there...

I'll have to remember your name Holliday because this is how I'll be picturing you forever.

• Like 3

Sawed-off coat and pants will be craftable.

Black leather shotgun, "Not for initial release, but it's definitely something we're looking to implement further down the line." - Rocket

• Like 5

I request a bowler hat and a smoking jacket.

• Like 2

The zombies really don't look any worse than they did at E3, but hopefully we get something new soon to show some real improvement in their tracking and how they are able to hit people. Also get them slower! Way too dang fast! lol

Yeh, my main issue is that they always look as if they're on fast forward.

I remember in the early days of the mod Rocket explained they look like that because when he made the animations they were too slow so he just sped them up which makes sense for a modder with no resources. Really though for the SA there's no excuses. I don't ever really expect super polished zeds like we see in some games but I think it's fair to expect a LOT better than we see now.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

Mhm... okay... alright. So, is it going to be released this month?

Even the player running speed seemed too fast. It looked even faster than the E3 vid. I'm assuming this is purely so they can test without wasting too much time jogging about as aint nobody got time fo that. Might be the same for the zeds?

• Like 1

Dunno. You're right though it doesn't look quite right.

• Like 1

finding a mad max leather jacket with shoulderpad in game would mean i'd need to change my pants.

• Like 2

I think they should really focus on zombies before implementing anything else man i mean they will make or break the game and honestly they look really bad they need to improve them before anything else

• Like 2

all i can say is ...meh.

Im becoming slightly desensitized to the hype and build up to dayz. I stayed up to watch it and went to bed with only one thought. meh.

Dont get me wrong, i will play the shit out of this game, but nothing made me clinch my buns.

Personally now that architecture and performance has been sorted, all we need now is the game to be released, crafting is trivial at this point, just needs content, its obvious major changes have been made to the engine to enable items to be damaged etc(this is HUGE imo)

Still one major thing that needs addressing, zomble animations and pathing, i couldnt give two toss pots if the animation of the zombies are mocapped by a naked ricky martin, if those fucking zombies zigzag me, i will insta-uninstall, simple as fucking that.

I feel the alpha release is loaded though, i predict massive backlash regardless of how polished it may be for an alpha :(

i truly hope this isnt the case, but our mate Gummy will generate enough content for a lifetime.

i can see it now "Why isn't there sugar free soda, this is game breaking"

To be proactive, can we have a dedicated sub forum/sticky for SA feedback? I think it would be easier to moderate and give a nice convenient location for all the trolls to stroke each others stumps.

Edited by TurkishMonkey

all i can say is ...meh.

Im becoming slightly desensitized to the hype and build up to dayz. I stayed up to watch it and went to bed with only one thought. meh.

Dont get me wrong, i will play the shit out of this game, but nothing made me clinch my buns.

Personally now that architecture and performance has been sorted, all we need now is the game to be released, crafting is trivial at this point, just needs content, its obvious major changes have been made to the engine to enable items to be damaged etc(this is HUGE imo)

Still one major thing that needs addressing, zomble animations and pathing, i couldnt give two toss pots if the animation of the zombies are mocapped by a naked ricky martin, if those fucking zombies zigzag me, i will insta-uninstall, simple as fucking that.

I feel the alpha release is loaded though, i predict massive backlash regardless of how polished it may be for an alpha :(

i truly hope this isnt the case, but our mate Gummy will generate enough content for a lifetime.

i can see it now "Why isn't there sugar free soda, this is game breaking"

To be proactive, can we have a dedicated sub forum/sticky for SA feedback? I think it would be easier to moderate and give a nice convenient location for all the trolls to stroke each others stumps.

i agree, the only thing that i think they need to fix before the 1 week timeframe they said they set is the zombies, if they cant get them right before 1 week, delay it, i do not want an alpha sa with worse zombies than the mod, the only thing that needs to be fixed before alpha release Edited by Henryllex~

We'll have a whole forum dedicated to it. When it's released...... If we do it now it'll end up in circular discussions based on speculation. When we get our hands on it, that's when the devs want/need our feedback, good and bad.

• Like 1

Anyone citing "hype" as a serious concept is laughable. Hype is an entirely player-derived circumstance.

• Like 1

And to think you and the other mods are looking forward to the SA release.

Gummy will take his final form after it drops :lol:

then we are all fucked