SmashT

Rezzed - June 2013 - Developer Session

I've only just seen that American Psycho axe-murderer video for the first time and that is hands down the most acceptable behaviour I've ever seen.

HEY PAUL.

I'd make distress calls and morse code messages on a loop to freak people out.

That's exactly all I'd do if I could be bothered to do a radio station. Just something to create more in-game atmosphere.

LIKE THE MESSAGE IN LOST THAT HAS BEEN PLAYING FOR YEARS AND YEARS OMFG.

• Like 1

I'd like to hear all kinds of short horror stories. It would be epic to listen those while traveling in the wilderness.

This is looking good. Much better demo of the crafting system. I love how complex the health system is! Foot wear meter!!! That's amazing! My uncle was in Vietnam and explained to me early on that a soldier with good foot hygiene was a happy solider. I love the idea that footwear actually matters.

Now release the damn alpha already!!

PS: Those radios are going to get annoying as hell.

• Like 1

Woops! No I completely forgot tbh. I'll wait until they're wanting some feedback though because usually the first thing people do when they get a chance to talk to them is smash them with a hundred ideas of what they would do if they were making the game.

Believe it or not everyone think they can do better :/. Cheers for reminding me though :)

ha i was thinking of it because of the Q&A yesterday ;)

Edited by joe_mcentire

Why does Rocket have a Rahamadi map on his laptop (beside Chernarus) ????

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 2

lol, you won't actually have a "foot-meter". Thats the debug menu the developers use.

As a player it just means your shoes will degrade over time or if you run around on concrete for days on end with bare feet then you're gonna be in pain.

I won't ever last that long, but cheers for clearing that up for me.

The crafting side is going to be so fantastic, Flare, jerry can, nails, and a single sniper shot from meters away!

Game's looking great, still pumped.

Not so sure of the whole radio station thing and what not but willing to see how it goes, have a feeling something great may come out of it though, something that hasn't been thought of yet, we'll see.

Loving the crafting, there are infinite things that can be done with it which will add so much to the gameplay.

Zombies will be a constant WIP throughout the whole development so not too worried about the current state, I doubt they'll ever be perfect but I expect there'll be vast improvements over the coming months.

I seem to be very much in tune with Rockets vision, the more I here of it, so still very excited to play this game.

I really don't understand the point to these showcases.

On one hand Rocket will claim that only a small and devoted portion of the DayZ fan base should buy the Alpha. On the other hand, in this demonstration, he mentions wanting "hundreds of thousands of people" to access the game for testing.

The Alpha will have very little features, much less than the mod (we haven't seen tents, campfires, vehicles, flares & chemlights, etc), yet Rocket feels the need to talk about many, many awesome things they'd like to eventually put in the game. His trademark "but first we need to get the Alpha out there" is going to make people think that development will rapidly pick up after release.

The reality, that many of the "hundreds of thousands of" buyers don't realize, is that in the history of game development has no product ever increased productivity after releasing to the public. Productivity will slow down after release.

For that reason I do not think these hype conferences are honest.

Not sure if the alpha will have more feature, but I am pretty sure it will have more content & gameplay experiance. As for the panel, I always liked them, create hype, show vision and unlike some other game company, they wont just say : Oki for this new feature, you ll need to buy it for 10$. This other one for 5$, or you can get the prenium pack for 50$ and will have free feature for the next year.

Biggest thing, Dean is passionate about this game and will make a game for the gamers, not to reach certain numbers of sales.

• Like 1

PS: Those radios are going to get annoying as hell.

i really don't see that happening. you can simply shoot them to break them, and it's not like there are gonna be a hundred radios lying around in a village.

Yeah, rocket walked like 20m away from the radio and the noise was pretty well muted.

I don't get where people just think of only the item, rather than the circumstances which surround said item.

As others have said... you'll need to find batteries and the radio itself, which may indeed be more valuable to you on your person rather than on the ground blaring 80's music. All of which are circumstances which decrease the likelihood of radios being used as bait, which will no doubt happen. But, it's not like EVERYONE will do this or even have the means to do this at any given time.

Edited by Katana67

what i do not understand...

these things about the radio can be changed literally within some minutes. so everybody be cool!

Edited by joe_mcentire

Well don't know how I feel about accessing radio stations, it's a major immersion breaker for me. The sound should be processed to simulate low quality speakers you would expect from such radios. Also it feels extremely wrong that those stations aren't affected by the zombie apocalypse, when ingame everything looks destroyed and humanity seems to do not so well. I just really can't see what this feature would add to the game. IMO it's kind of stupid and adds nothing to the gameplay. I don't see why rocket would be so excited about this. he should focus more on improving the elements that worked in dayz mod, rather than bringing loads of new poorly implemented/useless stuff. (dig the coat and hat and crafting system, though)

I don't see why they wouldn't run the feed through a filter before being output in the gameworld. It would be the easiest thing to create a patch in Pure Data for said purpose, which is then easily embedded into the engine.

I foresee a lot of hostage taking and blood becoming some form of currency, as renegades start to setup blood clinic facilities across Chernarus. Survivors will just be corralled and drained of blood, life will never be the same again.(Just imagine the scene from The Road in the basement, minus the cannibalism factor).

With the new medial system i think it's about time I dust of my doctorate in ID infectious Disease (I wish) or learn as i go. The standalone is going to have such a hard learning curve, that it's inevitable people will become frustrated and it puts the focus on us as players to reevaluate or form of gamestyle. Which to some gamers is an unwritten rule you just don't cross. But for many others, we just relish in the challenge.

Can't wait......

I just want to start a cannibal crew... Edited by ApocalypseMaow

cant wait

radio + timed IED = LOTS of dead zeds

Edited by King Tubbs
  • Like 1

I hope that "in a week" thing is true.

He didn't say in a week.

Well don't know how I feel about accessing radio stations, it's a major immersion breaker for me. The sound should be processed to simulate low quality speakers you would expect from such radios. Also it feels extremely wrong that those stations aren't affected by the zombie apocalypse, when ingame everything looks destroyed and humanity seems to do not so well. I just really can't see what this feature would add to the game. IMO it's kind of stupid and adds nothing to the gameplay. I don't see why rocket would be so excited about this. he should focus more on improving the elements that worked in dayz mod, rather than bringing loads of new poorly implemented/useless stuff. (dig the coat and hat and crafting system, though)

Bikeman suggested a filter on the radio sound in his interview with Rocket, don't remember Rocket's exact response so check that out.

Also it feels extremely wrong that those stations aren't affected by the zombie apocalypse, when ingame everything looks destroyed and humanity seems to do not so well. I just really can't see what this feature would add to the game. IMO it's kind of stupid and adds nothing to the gameplay. I don't see why rocket would be so excited about this. he should focus more on improving the elements that worked in dayz mod, rather than bringing loads of new poorly implemented/useless stuff.

You do realize the radio broadcasting stations are roleplaying stations by the players themselves? I for one am really looking forward to the radios.

The only things I'm still slightly worried about is the effect of the engine changes on responsiveness (with everything being done serverside) and zombie pathing which still looks awful.

Edited by Bass50
  • Like 1

DayZ presentation and Q&A

This brings excitement for me. I'm so happy to see more things and not the same ole... "Yay, Motorbike helmet" While I knew there were more things being added I thought the repetitiveness of showing off the same things bore me. Poop filled syringes for all!

Edit: While the combining items is cool and desired, I hope there is some actual crafting in the future. You know, making stuff and not just taking existing things and adding them together. Even if it's as simple (in thought, maybe not function) as finding reloading tools, collecting shells, powder, manuals, bullets, so you can reload your own ammunition.

Edited by Dreygar

Okay lets say 500 thousand players, still pretty far from the 1.7 million DayZ players.

That 1.7 million players is overall, I can guarantee there are not that many that play the game currently.

That 1.7 million players is overall, I can guarantee there are not that many that play the game currently.

I even think 500k is still too much.

Yes, he did

He said they have a certain week in mind, not that they will be releasing in a week.

• Like 3

Yes, he did

I'm afraid you missunderstood his words.

Dean said and I quote: "...we've set a date now, like a window of about a week, and we're not going to say what window that is...".

If you want to listen again it starts at around 25 minutes and 45 seconds in the rezzed dayz video.