mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer blog 26th April, Video from PAX and our latest "building"

I hope everyone realizes one thing here. I said IS there one coming out not WHY DONT THEY PUT ONE OUT. It was a simple question. I'm happy either way just curious.

Yeah I wasn't attacking your post or anything, just speaking about the community in general the past 3 or so months.

• Like 1

Oh.

My.

God.

The things that are still to be seen.

Just, you know....you know these guys will make an outstanding game no doubt. Better hide everything and be blasted away when playing it from 0 knowledge of what's inside.

My only fear is: Have you fixed/improved the clunkiness when dealing in-doors? The Shack Tac clan released a mod which fixed this and it should be implemented in the mod version ASAP.

Combined with huge cities, I think this will my fav game for sniping from in-door.

JUST TAKE MY MONEY FFS AND LEAVE ME ALONE!

As daft as it seems, I can wait for the release. I want it bad also but the need for it to be right (As a comparison to the Mod issues we faced) and as bug / hacker free as possible.

I have said it once and I'll say it again, take your time and screw the whingers.

I personally need a break from Chernarus as I was getting bloody sick of the map. I hope there are enough changes / alterations for a new experience. they have added a ship (as many of us asked and begged even) I only hope the prison and some more items are added, I can live without loads of high end military gear everywhere.

btw, whos working on the soundtrack? anyone know?

well yeah, Zeppa, I know it would add much towards the seriousness and the realism of the game, but speak for yourself. There is a reason why the gameplay designers decided to keep this feature away from WoT. In WoT as well as in DayZ, not every player is a hardcore player. I do like realism, yet I still want to enjoy the game, and not make it an auto mechanic simulator... :D

Edited by osallivan

I really want to see that Rocket pushes this game to be so hard that it isn't fun at some point of the developement just to see some reactions.

• Like 2

I hope they use the same ambient music as the mod.

It holds great memories. I don't want to see them vanish.

I really want to see that Rocket pushes this game to be so hard that it isn't fun at some point of the developement just to see some reactions.

Agreed, really hope they push the limits of what is considered an acceptable level of difficulty.

• Like 4

Agreed...

Maybe this is the game that will be differend...no limited carebear edition.

There is always large AA titles for people seeking regular gaming experience, I think many of here want something totally differend and unforgiving...

I hope that mod is a "joke" compared to SA...what comes to a difficulty.

• Like 2

Helicopters won't be in the game until much later this year it seems, so perhaps by then some changes may have been made to the density of the foliage. I doubt it's a priority though, since they'll probably want vehicles out as soon as they're ready rather than changing minor things like trees.

And as for an ecosystem...I would keep expectations very low. They are adding new animals with all new animations though, which will be neat for those who wish to live in the wilderness.

Since the Chernarus map is based on satellite data of an actual location I'm pretty sure that the variety of terrain is accurate, except for rivers inland, but Rocket has discussed that rivers are very difficult to create on this engine. New satellite data has been purchased for the SA so the overall quality of the map should improve though.

This just made me think, there should be a choice for people who dont want to risk their balls running into the major cities to get supplies/ammo, etc. Hunting lodges dotted about in addition to deer stands so basic hunting weapons can be acquired to kill animals and repel attackers.

Also it should be possible to forge a basic bow and arrow due to you being in the wilderness you should be able to hunt animal without relying on guns. Anyone thinking poison tipped? :P

• Like 1

Agreed...

Maybe this is the game that will be differend...no limited carebear edition.

There is always large AA titles for people seeking regular gaming experience, I think many of here want something totally differend and unforgiving...

I hope that mod is a "joke" compared to SA...what comes to a difficulty.

Agreed. We all know what "safe" games made by "safe" devs can offer. Sometimes they come up with a great game but more often than not it's just the same gameplay with a different story or within a different environment or better graphics than the last one. Rocket seems to want to push the boundries as far as he can with what he has available to him. This will frustrate many but those of us in for the long-haul will stick with him as long as we continue to believe he's doing it for the right reasons.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 7

Agreed. We all know what "safe" games made by "safe" devs can offer. Sometimes they come up with a great game but more often than not it's just the same gameplay with a different story or within a different environment or better graphics than the last one. Rocket seems to want to push the boundries as far as he can with what he has available to him. This will frustrate many but those of us in for the long-haul will stick with him as long as we continue to believe he's doing it for the right reasons.

I agree as well. It's a more nihilistic view than I usually stand for, but I really hope that SA is much more difficult than the mod simply because it'll clear out the proverbial clown car leaving more thoughtful and devoted players. As opposed to the massive amounts brought in by the sheer excitement of having an open-world zombie survival game at their fingertips.

There are those on the forums who constantly feel that the mod needs to cater to their survival. Because the end goal is survival.

This is not a very wholesome way of looking at things, as DayZ really is about the processes of survival and the player's individual journey. If I was just guaranteed to survive, then it wouldn't be a very fun game. Likewise, I have expressed time and time again about when players are offered layered, rewarding, and time-consuming survival mechanics... nearly every problem of deathmatching will be solved. Simply because the individual player will be less capable of doing so. This will, I feel (as also expressed by statements from Rocket) vastly improve the situation with KoS-ing. While subsequently making the game more difficult.

It's not so much about mitigating all threats, it's just about adjusting the threat levels of certain threats. For instance, as it stands now... (I've used this hierarchy before) we've got...

1. Players

2. The Game (Bugs, broken legs, etc.)

3. Zombies

4. The Environment

It should be (in my opinion, balanced with ideas such as frequency, overall damage, and likelihood)...

1. Zombies

2. The Environment

3. Players

4. The Game

Trust me carebears, you -want- this game to be harder.

Edited by Katana67

The difficulty is the only thing that worries me about the standalone. With the massive popularity there have been loads of discussions about how it should be altered and many popular youtube channels have brought up how the mod is pointless and a waste of time in it's current state. I hope all this won't give Dean reason to have second thoughts and that he will stick to his vision and give us this unfair, frustrating and beautiful thing. If it caters to streamers and such we regular players will lose much of what makes it interesting.

• Like 1

Agreed. I think he's got a a sadistic streak though and wants to see how much we (as gamers) can tolerate before we smash our monitors. When there's waves of Cholera moving from server to server killing everyone making us rage-quit he'll probably put his feet up and smoke a cigar.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 6

The difficulty is the only thing that worries me about the standalone. With the massive popularity there have been loads of discussions about how it should be altered and many popular youtube channels have brought up how the mod is pointless and a waste of time in it's current state. I hope all this won't give Dean reason to have second thoughts and that he will stick to his vision and give us this unfair, frustrating and beautiful thing. If it caters to streamers and such we regular players will lose much of what makes it interesting.

That's the beauty of it!

People are so ingrained in the thought of "balance" as an operative term for making a game better. The desire to make everything behave the same because that's what they're used to.

"Oh, the X is OP... de-tune it to nothing and I'll be happy!"

This train of thought has ruined otherwise decent games.

All Rocket has to do is -not- do this. That, and the futility of survival is a very real problem. It can be solved in ways that make it more difficult and more rewarding, rather than just making it easier.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 4

That's the beauty of it!

People are so ingrained in the thought of "balance" as an operative term for making a game better. The desire to make everything behave the same because that's what they're used to.

"Oh, the X is OP... de-tune it to nothing and I'll be happy!"

This train of thought has ruined otherwise decent games.

All Rocket has to do is -not- do this. That, and the futility of survival is a very real problem. It can be solved in ways that make it more difficult and more rewarding, rather than just making it easier.

When you crawl/jog for an hour, broken, can't see shit, no food, no drink, basic survival kit, but because your vision is so hammered, struggle to see a cow or boar, you begin wishing it was easier. Then you find a boar and some how manage to nurse yourself back to health in what felt like impossible odds and you are glad that you had that struggle.

Keep it hard!

• Like 8

Regarding all the talk about difficulty, my biggest obstacle was learning how the zombies knew where I was. They clip through walls, see me from a distance and then run outragously fast after me. Without any weapon even just taking one out is literally impossible. Hopefully the sound and visual aspects will be fixed in the SA and from the arma 3 changes, while the weapon problem is surely fixed by the use of fists (I would also love a kick too). The only weapons I ever got were a couple rifles, a few pistols, a crossbow, and a few melee weapons, and I was bummed to find that the hunting knife couldn't be used as a weapon. If there was a wide abundance of basic weaponry but limited advanced weaponry, I would praise the day z devs. I don't want a machinegun. I just want a slingshot or a bow to keep myself alive long enough to find some real weaponry.

As daft as it seems, I can wait for the release. I want it bad also but the need for it to be right (As a comparison to the Mod issues we faced) and as bug / hacker free as possible.

I have said it once and I'll say it again, take your time and screw the whingers.

I personally need a break from Chernarus as I was getting bloody sick of the map. I hope there are enough changes / alterations for a new experience. they have added a ship (as many of us asked and begged even) I only hope the prison and some more items are added, I can live without loads of high end military gear everywhere.

There was an interview recently where Rocket showed a bit of the map. I couldn't recognize a lot of it.

Regarding all the talk about difficulty, my biggest obstacle was learning how the zombies knew where I was. They clip through walls, see me from a distance and then run outragously fast after me. Without any weapon even just taking one out is literally impossible. Hopefully the sound and visual aspects will be fixed in the SA and from the arma 3 changes, while the weapon problem is surely fixed by the use of fists (I would also love a kick too). The only weapons I ever got were a couple rifles, a few pistols, a crossbow, and a few melee weapons, and I was bummed to find that the hunting knife couldn't be used as a weapon. If there was a wide abundance of basic weaponry but limited advanced weaponry, I would praise the day z devs. I don't want a machinegun. I just want a slingshot or a bow to keep myself alive long enough to find some real weaponry.

What rifle? The CZ550? You can use that!

When you crawl/jog for an hour, broken, can't see shit, no food, no drink, basic survival kit, but because your vision is so hammered, struggle to see a cow or boar, you begin wishing it was easier. Then you find a boar and some how manage to nurse yourself back to health in what felt like impossible odds and you are glad that you had that struggle.

Keep it hard!

Dont forget about the passing out part, soon as you swing and miss the first axe blow you passout and the cow jogs away and you have to find it again :D

Agreed. I think he's got a a sadistic streak though and wants to see how much we (as gamers) can tolerate before we smash our monitors. When there's waves of Cholera moving from server to server killing everyone making us rage-quit he'll probably put his feet up and smoke a cigar.

Considering the crap he had to deal with on his Military experience, I think his "sadistic" streak is well founded, You have to experience trials and tribulations before you can portray them in an medium. It has obviously made him stronger and more knowledgable, than most, of such issues.

All he is doing is putting certain experiences into a game and look how good it can be! I only dream other developers do games / programs on experiences, we may have more than plain old shoot em ups and drivel released these days.

I just hope it is more refined compared to the MOD. I will be honest, I like most have become bored of DayZ and only hope the cycle of intense experience returns after the SA release. It is only the potential and upcoming updates and changes that will keep me on board. So far so good but, I am getting a bit long in the tooth with Chernarus. I only hope Chernarus + is more engaging.

Oh and Zombies, I do hope the SA zombies are a world apart from the ones seen in games nowadayz, I need to fear them more than skirt around them as we do now.

• Like 2

Agree on the Zombie front watching streams they seem to be like Midges here in Scotland in that they are everywhere, slightly annoying and sometimes bite. But not the least bit scary.

The only times I’ve seen a team scared of zombies was when a hacker spawned like forty right next to them. Instead of thinking right new server this is hacked they played on getting chased by this mass of Zombies. It was great!

Players treat Zombies like as a minor annoyance at most. Its more of a get out they way or get lost rather than god this is scary and I feel threatened. They don’t play its for the Zombie game just player to player interaction.

Hate to say it, but don't expect SA to be any different, after you've figured them out they will not be a substantial threat either, unless in numbers...

But that's how it should be, really, their brains don't function anymore, they are z.. infected?!

Will the SA use some improvments from the mod like that zeds can smash car windows or knock/grab players driving on bikes or quads etc ?? Combined with the new pathfinding, anims and skins that would make the zeds pretty scary and dangerous...

I'd like to see the ship placed halfway up the map (off the coast) or even further north and just far enough out to make it a dangerous swim or requiring a boat.

The thing is.. Almost no matter where you place it, people will be in danger by coming remotely close to that ship regardless. It will be like Christmas come early(assuming it is released before christmas) for snipers to have a small entrance like that to shoot slow moving targets.

Edited by AtotehZ

Yeh, agreed. It'll sure be intersting wherever it is. I think there's going to be other structures/large new buildings ect too so at least it won't be the main focus for every player.