mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer blog 26th April, Video from PAX and our latest "building"

Will Duke Nukem be featured in the stand alone?

:D

Response from Rocket " Not in the Initial release but its something we are looking at adding in future updates "

Every Q & A Rocket replies the same :) Question from Nerd in the back row " Rocket will I be able to create a Master Chef Kitchen in Day Z SA, and fit it out with all the latest electrical gadgets ?"

OK you know the reply sing it all together NOW " Not in the Initial release, but its something we are looking at adding in future updates"

Edited by YZ250
  • Like 9

@YZ250

Ugh the blue hath hurt mine eyes!

Have my beans anyways.

Changed for you, have some beans

I could have something watchable with audio commentary recorded and processed within the Hour, ahhh but I could have been Developing in that Hour.....ahh i see where your going.........dont keep following that Road, it goes nowhere

Just because I feel like debating something pointless, why do you say that my suggestion leads nowhere? It seems like what I suggest is exactly the logic being used by the dev team and it seems to be leading them to finishing the game.

Actually I should have said, "Are we on a Duke Nukem time frame?"

:P

I am a fan of the GRID racing series. There. I admit it.

Ever since Grid was released in 2008 I was hooked, and since 2008 I was anxiously awaiting their promised release of Grid 2.

They are releasing it in Summer 2013.

Why the eff haven't they released a weekly dev blog and live alpha testing streams like allllll the other game developers have always done since the begining of time????? It's been five god damn years!! ..very unprofessional.

I trust that you whinny peons get what I am trying to say here. <_<

Edited by codestargod

Have you asked em?

Unlike oher places we are infomed and kept in the loop, O.K. it's not every week but better than aboves example of 5 years. We should be greatful and content.

Impatience

Perhaps there is only one cardinal sin: impatience.

Because of impatience we were driven out of Paradise,

because of impatience we cannot return.

W.H Auden

Why the eff haven't they released a weekly dev blog and live alpha testing streams like allllll the other game developers have always done since the begining of time????? It's been five god damn years!! ..very unprofessional.

I trust that you whinny peons get what I am trying to say here. <_<

Did they say they would have a DEV Blog every week, cause if NO, then you have NO point......peon

Just because I feel like debating something pointless

Your SPOT ON !

Did they say they would have a DEV Blog every week, cause if NO, then you have NO point......peon

I think Rocket intended to release an update weekly, but then reality caught up with him and he realized there weren't time enough to reserve every Thursday to compose a dev blog. He probably simply found himself busy with more important stuff to handhold the community on a weekly basis.

It's a few pictures and some text. That doesn't take much time.

Would this make a difference to anything?

Im sure it would at least make people bitch about the given update, when it doesnt have 30 minute detailed video, 100 screenshots and 4 paged pdf file attached about the development..

• Like 1

I think Rocket intended to release an update weekly, but then reality caught up with him and he realized there weren't time enough to reserve every Thursday to compose a dev blog. He probably simply found himself busy with more important stuff to handhold the community on a weekly basis.

Yeah i know Dallas and agree. I'm happy with the involvement we have in the development already, the little things we get an insight into we already knew mostly are happening anyway, but it gives us something new for me to add to our website to introduce more people to DayZ. I add all Pics on the Development and Video straight to our Site

Yeah i know Dallas and agree. I'm happy with the involvement we have in the development already, the little things we get an insight into we already knew mostly are happening anyway, but it gives us something new for me to add to our website to introduce more people to DayZ. I add all Pics on the Development and Video straight to our Site

From that perspective I can definitely understand a higher desire of more updates, maybe it would be worth expressing as constructively as possibly, how maybe just a weekly standalone screenshot, would help the DayZ fan/news sites generate a little activity. :)

• Like 1

From that perspective I can definitely understand a higher desire of more updates, maybe it would be worth expressing as constructively as possibly, how maybe just a weekly standalone screenshot, would help the DayZ fan/news sites generate a little activity. :)

All sites were asked to give their details to Matt initially, assumed updates would originally get sent directly. No big deal it didnt happen. Check out our Site we still have a very big Dayz banner directing people back to here.

We are all part of something fantastic here, Rocket just need to delegate a little more.

Actually I should have said, "Are we on a Duke Nukem time frame?"

:P

Nah we are still on the Bohemia Interactive time frame :P

• Like 1

well i think it shuld be squeezed betwen two rocks on shore, like if it had been washed up from a big wawe

Just another thing that I've noticed playing DayZ as of late and considering what we've heard about the SA...

Something needs to be done with the "Wilderness". Now, I don't intend that to mean "Plop a jail down above Petrovka and a few other facilities and call it a day". The Wilderness must remain just that, wild. Which brings me to a blaring deficiency with the current Chernarus map. There are no detailed landscapes or biospheres. There are no rocky outcroppings, snaking gorges, cliffs, creeks, rivers, dense forests, etc. Now, I've never been to Eastern Europe, but I assume that the forests and landscapes are not as singular as what we have now. We've got fields, mountains, and forests. There is no variation in these, other than the color of the trees.

Specifically, there is little to no underbrush in the forest. Which has huge implications for gameplay, meaning that it is nearly impossible to conceal oneself or items in the forests. This can be done, certainly, but the places in which it can be done successfully are fairly limited.

With that being said, I am certainly in favor of maybe adding a derelict military bunker in the Wilderness or a few cottages buried in the trees. But the Wilderness should remain wild, but needs to be expanded upon and made more immersive.

It is encouraging to hear that they're adding a "swamp" landscape, but it seems almost like an eco-themepark. It's just a small area on the coast with no different atmosphere than a non-swampy coast. There are no tall reeds, mists, or distinguishing features. It seems that they just sunk the coast a bit so that it is under waist-deep water and put a walkway going through it.

This duality affects gameplay directly, by limiting the survival mechanics into two or three archetypes. You have the "Lay my camp in the forest and stockpile loot" and the "Stay on the move in cities and scavenge/kill folks" mindsets, with a few exceptions. There is no incentive to just live off the land. This is because of several things, one of which is that the landscape is boring and uninspired (as was prudent in ARMA II).

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 7

There are no ecosystems.

Well that does it. I demand an ecosystem! ...with crickets!

Edited by codestargod

Hopefully in the SA the woods (trees) also cover more. Now in a heli you can spot a tent or a hidden car easily xD

Hopefully in the SA the woods (trees) also cover more. Now in a heli you can spot a tent or a hidden car easily xD

With ATOC forced you wouldn't spot them that easily but then the shitty laptop gamers would cry that their fps isn't good.

Helicopters won't be in the game until much later this year it seems, so perhaps by then some changes may have been made to the density of the foliage. I doubt it's a priority though, since they'll probably want vehicles out as soon as they're ready rather than changing minor things like trees.

And as for an ecosystem...I would keep expectations very low. They are adding new animals with all new animations though, which will be neat for those who wish to live in the wilderness.

Since the Chernarus map is based on satellite data of an actual location I'm pretty sure that the variety of terrain is accurate, except for rivers inland, but Rocket has discussed that rivers are very difficult to create on this engine. New satellite data has been purchased for the SA so the overall quality of the map should improve though.

Edited by Authentic Contiguity

Helicopters won't be in the game until much later this year it seems, so perhaps by then some changes may have been made to the density of the foliage. I doubt it's a priority though, since they'll probably want vehicles out as soon as they're ready rather than changing minor things like trees.

And as for an ecosystem...I would keep expectations very low. They are adding new animals with all new animations though, which will be neat for those who wish to live in the wilderness.

Since the Chernarus map is based on satellite data of an actual location I'm pretty sure that the variety of terrain is accurate, except for rivers inland, but Rocket has discussed that rivers are very difficult to create on this engine. New satellite data has been purchased for the SA so the overall quality of the map should improve though.

The foliage thing could be done in a few different ways, adding more is one. Beefing up the current trees is another. Making ATOC consistent across all players is another as well. However, my thoughts were more lingering around a "camo net" that could be tweaked to suit different environments to cover vehicles and/or tents. When they roll the vehicle customization out for the SA, I would hope they'd allow for players to essentially attach bushes to their (ground) vehicles to disrupt the outline in place of armor plating or somesuch. There are many solutions to this problem.

I more meant ecosystem as just an archetypal landscape, rather than the scientific definition of living organisms living with flora, etc. Perhaps biosphere or some other analog would be a better thing. I think the scarcity of animal life is a great thing, though it would be nice to see more animals than just boars and rabbits in the woods.

Chernarus may have been based on satellite imagery, but that does not mean that it is a wholesome picture of what is on the ground. In 2009, publicly available high-quality satellite imagery was just breaking onto the scene, so I am curious as to the level of detail in the original Chernarus imagery. Furthermore, for instance, when I look at imagery of my own rural area on Google Earth in 2013... The canopy of the forests masks many small creeks, gorges, cliffs, ditches, that I know to be part of the landscape.

What is evident to me, is that yes... they did use satellite imagery. But it did not end up translating into a detailed forest environment. It's essentially a textured smooth heightmap with trees on it.

And also, as an aside, I'm merely outlining a problem and not assessing the likelihood that it will be fixed.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1