mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer blog 26th April, Video from PAX and our latest "building"

Blogage! Blogage! Let the wheels of justice turn! Don't make me burn my bra dammit!

As I don’t have a machine able to play I watch streams and Animals are great this guy ran into a Cow last night with his team and nearly pissed himself. It took away the boredom of nothingness so adding them is great!

I still think they need to up the numbers on the servers as you can watch a stream for 2 hours and all it is, is guys in a team checking out places and finding no one. Don’t want a FPS fire fight every ten minutes but the size of the maps makes contact so rare…..

I agree. DayZ has been pretty quiet lately. I have a feeling they're hiding out something pretty massive since Dean Hall's absence. Maybe we'll see some additional features that will be presented while one of the developers work on the architecture. Let's wait and see what they have to surprise us :)

Haha Fraggle I lost my shit at your post. If you can't beat the angry mod, join them ;D

On an unrelated note to the hopefully new devblog, I remember reading people can submit written work to be books and journals in dayz, has that started yet?

If so where you you submit?

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums. Now giime dat blog!

On an unrelated note to the hopefully new devblog, I remember reading people can submit written work to be books and journals in dayz, has that started yet?

If so where you you submit?

Email matt.lightfoot@bistudio.com

Even Fraggle is pushing Matt and devblog team. This is getting serious. Now gimme that part 2!

Edit:

From Reddit:

I'm sitting at base camp playing OpenTTD and drinking mango juice :) We haven't made our summit attempt yet. The company I am with, Adventure Consultants, is a Kiwi company with huge experience climbing everest. We're opting to wait until the winds have died right down, and the Jetstream has moved north from above everest, before we make our attempt.

I'm REALLY excited about getting back to work on DayZ, the team have been doing awesome work while I'm away and I have a fantastic feeling about finally getting a build out to the community for feedback once we've confirmed the client/server system is complete enough. It's the first thing I will do on my return (my return: likely late May now rather than June)

Woo Rocket is back maybe bit earlier!

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 6

just trespassing...there were some new infos about other awesome games given away just recently...and this is my first post since...about a month i guess... so take this post just as a smaller pointer ;)...my memories of dayz are fading :( do something against it dammit!

just trespassing...there were some new infos about other awesome games given away just recently...and this is my first post since...about a month i guess... so take this post just as a smaller pointer ;)...my memories of dayz are fading :( do something against it dammit!

Somebody get him an Epi-Pen stat!

• Like 1

Please... Just... pictures, anything-- we're not picky! We... we n-need something... Please...

*scratches arm uncontrollably*

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 1

Look the community is turning into junky zombies from the lack of communication!

I almost got excited about the release of GTA V (even though it hasn't even been announced for the PC yet!!), then my friend brought up DayZ and I instantly lost enthusiasm for it (GTA V!)...

DayZ has ruined my enjoyment of most other games...I really hope it makes it's June release...Patience has never been one of my strong points.

• Like 4

As I don’t have a machine able to play I watch streams and Animals are great this guy ran into a Cow last night with his team and nearly pissed himself. It took away the boredom of nothingness so adding them is great!

I still think they need to up the numbers on the servers as you can watch a stream for 2 hours and all it is, is guys in a team checking out places and finding no one. Don’t want a FPS fire fight every ten minutes but the size of the maps makes contact so rare…..

You have no idea, the mere fact someone could be there is half the suspense in playing

• Like 3

You have no idea, the mere fact someone could be there is half the suspense in playing

Agreed. If you've only watched vids and not played then you won't feel the same suspense as the player. DayZ has always been (or at least started out as) a fairly slow game. It's not about wall to wall action. When you're walking through the countryside having not seen another player for 2 hours it actually adds to the tension. Knowing you could have a sniper watching you at any time or a player could around the next corner is what adds to the tension.

Currently I think the main issues with the mod is that players tend to gather in the same predictable places. Whilst I think that's a good thing because cities ect would likely be where you'd find the most activity it can get predictable. The new areas/structures and points of interest being added to the SA should spread players accross the map a bit more meaning that wherever you are the chance of running into someone is increased.

The devs have said that the SA could potentially have many more players on the map but they've also said that they may "spend" these new resources on other things and that they will try to find a balance, they won't just flood the map with players because they can. I personally think 50 - 60 players max for Chernarus would be ideal, I think it's important that the player still feels isolated.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

I almost got excited about the release of "add random game here" (even though it hasn't even been announced for the PC yet!!), then my friend brought up DayZ and I instantly lost enthusiasm for it (Random game)...

DayZ has ruined my enjoyment of most other games...I really hope it makes it's June release...Patience has never been one of my strong points.

I've taken 2-3weeks to "almost" complete Crysis 3 because i'm never off DayZ and gave up on Far Cry 3. I've got Metro2033, Metro lastlight (free with new card :P ) and BF2 for Project Reality sat here unopened and waiting to play. Even on the dull days and there are many in DayZ, i still find myself playing it and nothing else. :huh:

• Like 2

I think Rhinocrunch mentioned it in one of his videos... DayZ makes your heart race at a level no other game does, and I doubt I'll ever find a game that gives me te same suspence and thrill.

I'm kinda sad about it, because every other game I play just doesn't do it for me since I ever played DayZ, :D

• Like 1

Don’t get me wrong I get that and yes I need to play to appreciate the parts of the game that are just checking places out and making sure you go about as safe as you can. Do you think you’ll get roving large squads more or less owning an area or Map at a time? I’m not against that in fact hiding from such a squad would make my game :)