mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer blog 26th April, Video from PAX and our latest "building"

Camo nets are something that could very well make it into the game seeing as they are already in the mod, albeit in a limited manner.

I think that DayZ mods have done a decent job of including camo nets, but they only reproduce the models in ARMA. Which are large, non-formfitting, and easy to be run-over. Not to mention construction mechanics like that are unreliable as it stands.

I'd love to see it akin to a deployable item on individual vehicles. And, I think this is perhaps the laziest solution to the problems with having poorly depicted landscapes. But it solves the problems of concealment from the other way around, which is acceptable.

Edited by Katana67

I could have something watchable with audio commentary recorded and processed within the Hour, ahhh but I could have been Developing in that Hour.....ahh i see where your going.........dont keep following that Road, it goes nowhere

Sure, that depend how much and what material you have to work with...lots of stuff recorded withing in a week, pictures taken etc... one hour wont cut it for a even superhuman.. (well sure you can, but how watchable it is, and logical..)

Then there is the time question, not maybe the compiling part but how much it have taken away from the actual development if you ie interview some designers and stuff middle of their work etc etc etc...

If development takes lets say 1 year, and you make dev plogs and stuff the whole time, how much time is wasted from that year to keep us in our pants... even with that, they can hear the crying but from differend people this time.

Moving on..

Was yesterday playing TOH(again) and started thinking that they should take everything from it (veteran dificulty) and port it to dayz.

Also they should remove the stupid repair system of dayz mod(for all vehicles), and you should do your own troubleshooting if the heli(in this case) wont start. When doing the startup proceduress and power wont come on?, starters wont engage?, turbines wont stay running/cuts out when trying to go full throttle?... etc etc etc

Same with visual inspection that is introduced in TOH.. even it should be brought to another level without the automatic checkup, but that person should have to use his own eyes..

You should really check for damage... rather than scroll menu showing your broken parts highlighted with red..

Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 2

Was yesterday playing TOH(again) and started thinking that they should take everything from it (veteran dificulty) and port it to dayz.

Also they should remove the stupid repair system of dayz mod(for all vehicles), and you should do your own troubleshooting if the heli(in this case) wont start. When doing the startup proceduress and power wont come on?, starters wont engage?, turbines wont stay running/cuts out when trying to go full throttle?... etc etc etc

Same with visual inspection that is introduced in TOH.. even it should be brought to another level without the automatic checkup, but that person should have to use his own eyes..

You should really check for damage... rather than scroll menu showing your broken parts highlighted with red..

Well, so you want THAT kind of realism? I see, it might be cool and all but hey, TOH is not a combat game. You can land you heli and walk around it for a good 10 minutes checking and inspecting it. In DayZ you don't have that time. Here's an interesting point - Have you ever played Wold of Tanks? This is a pretty realistic game. But there was once a debate on whether to allow the tank barrels/turrets to collide with obstacles (like they do in ArmA) or keep it the old way (keep them out of the collision detection). There was a test in which they made the turrets collide with walls, and it has been concluded that this completely ruined the gameplay. So yeah, some realism has to be given up in order to keep the gameplay interesting and entertaining. I personally don't want to walk around the car looking for scratches while having an ass load of zombies behind me :P

Edited by osallivan

It shouldn't be about what you want to have to do, but what is deemed necessary by the boss-man.

Visual inspection would add another layer of complexity to the survival/scavenging game and would be a welcome change from the oversimplified UI we have now.

At the core, DayZ isn't strictly a "combat game" either, it's a survival game.

The less forgiving the better.

Characters will still inexplicably have the skill to replace any and all vehicle parts, so it makes sense to add the requirement for the player to diagnose particular problems.

You could always just replace EVERYTHING if you can't figure out what's wrong. ^_^

• Like 3

Well, so you want THAT kind of realism? I see, it might be cool and all but hey, TOH is not a combat game. You can land you heli and walk around it for a good 10 minutes checking and inspecting it. In DayZ you don't have that time. Here's an interesting point - Have you ever played Wold of Tanks? This is a pretty realistic game. But there was once a debate on whether to allow the tank barrels/turrets to collide with obstacles (like they do in ArmA) or keep it the old way (keep them out of the collision detection). There was a test in which they made the turrets collide with walls, and it has been concluded that this completely ruined the gameplay. So yeah, some realism has to be given up in order to keep the gameplay interesting and entertaining. I personally don't want to walk around the car looking for scratches while having an ass load of zombies behind me :P

I have, and from day one this is one of the things I found weird... As wot requires fairly tactical gameplay I dont see why they woudnt add those mechanics, would suite the game perfectly. You should just adapt to it, not really harm done. Gameplay may be ruined for those that rush from the start in a lemming train. But would bring much more to a more "serious" gamers, these could be (in case of wot) lined with game modes, ie hardcore randoms etc... lots of options.

What comes to dayz/toh, game seeks for authenticity... that would bring some, If were in post apocalyptic world I would do my very best to keep my transportation in working condition... you wouldnt like to loose few rotor blades in midair? :D Or wheel from a car in infested town?

That doesnt mean that you have to do the check every time you see your vehichle lol... brain usage is adviced :D

If I would do a loot run with a heli, I would check it at my base... make the run and check it after. If I find and heli, I would do the checks and repair what I think is broken... if there is zeds then get a friend to cover your ass. Some tasks you cant just do alone, its a fact and should be like that ingame also. They shoudnt make the game by the rules that some lonewolf could hold horders of zombies of while fixing and huey with other hand :D

ps. Visual cues should vary by how bad the condition is (texture change, conditions from 1-5 etc). IE rotor blades looks scuffed and dirty in various degrees and so on. Not that you have to really check for tiny scrathes, well maybe if you would like to keep it in top condition always ^^

For parts that are not visually inspectable like starters and such they could progress, ie sometimes needs few tries to get it engaged and so on. In TOH, some helis have panels that you can open and inspect the engine etc.

Then we come to the point where should these parts be found? I woudnt like that you can find them like now in the mod scattered.. maybe spawn wrecks that can have usable parts, airfield hangars could have parts and so on..

Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 1

Well that does it. I demand an ecosystem! ...with crickets!

Funny thing is, With small details like this the game will take on a whole new meaning.

Imagine, Your prone somewhere after spotting an threat, the bleeting of sheep, bird squacking and sounds of insects will affect the player and bring an atmosphere very much like one you'd find in IRL.

Sometimes these are overlooked, however with architecture being high on the scale (for obvious reasons), I fear these will get overlooked and part of the beauty (for me) of DayZ is being put into a situation which requires steady nerves.

• Like 4

The impression I get is that when the time comes (a LONG ways off yet) the team will go into "atmosphere mode", and with gusto.

Rocket says himself, the boss encourages him to go wild and see what happens. If this is his best chance to build the perfect stress-inducing survival experience, I expect he'll be jumping in with both feet.

• Like 1

What's wrong with my spot on?

I think it's growing a second tail, is what...

• Like 1

Am I the only one that realizes that any time not spent (read wasted) on doing Dev Blogs is spent working on the game so it comes out sooner? The sooner it comes out the sooner we won't need Dev Blogs. I hound this site for the updates as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to complain that the dev team is actually developing the game rather than posting a blog.

I hope everyone realizes one thing here. I said IS there one coming out not WHY DONT THEY PUT ONE OUT. It was a simple question. I'm happy either way just curious.

Funny thing is, With small details like this the game will take on a whole new meaning.

Imagine, Your prone somewhere after spotting an threat, the bleeting of sheep, bird squacking and sounds of insects will affect the player and bring an atmosphere very much like one you'd find in IRL.

Sometimes these are overlooked, however with architecture being high on the scale (for obvious reasons), I fear these will get overlooked and part of the beauty (for me) of DayZ is being put into a situation which requires steady nerves.

Hehe, reminds me of a part in the book "we were soldiers once and young" where a soldier recalls being in the middle of the LZ albany firefight, huddled in cover from the firestorm raging around him and all of a sudden spots a scorpion crawling up his leg. He jumps up, flails around like some hamster on coffee and knocks the scorpion off, grinding it into the dirt with the butt end of his rifle. At this point ofcourse he realises there is still a battle on and bullets are flying all around him so he hits the dirt again. It's all about priorities :P

Edited by HazZarD87
  • Like 1

I know the June date got thrown around somewhere, and it's getting really close to June! :D

The June date is when progress will be reviewed when Rocket returns from Everest.

• Like 2

What progress?

The progress on the engine architecture (what they are waiting on before they can release the alpha)

The June date is when progress will be reviewed when Rocket returns from Everest.

What rocket says is what rocket says. While we think when the release will REALLY happen.

I bet on a July release, but I think after June we will start to see a ton of new stuff (streamers, regular updates, etc..).

Well whenever he releases I do hope that the options to hide stuff come out as most of us hope. Would be nice to go beyond pitching a tent somewhere in the boonies and praying to my lucky stars that someone doesn't fly a helo over it, to which it sticks out like rock concert pyrotechnics.

With mods like Epoch, i've become addicted to the mini game of looting and selling for gold, i wonder will the standalone have enough new content to keep folk interested. Granted its a Chernarus+ map but will that give it legs, with the mods jumping forward in leaps and bounds.

I bet on a July release, but I think after June we will start to see a ton of new stuff (streamers, regular updates, etc..).

I agree.

I agree.

I can't wait...

This is really cool. The game needs more derelict man-made objects, like an oil rig or something off-shore. Maybe even inland there are large areas of burnt out forest where planes have crashed without proper air-traffic-control. And on that note, no car dealerships? Maybe I'm missing something culturally...

• Like 1

HOLA HOLA not so fast

+ a ton of bugs and fixes

That's why they don't wanna release it for all ppl at the start.

HOLA HOLA not so fast

+ a ton of bugs and fixes

That's why they don't wanna release it for all ppl at the start.

No it's not. They want to release in small bursts so as not to collapse their sever infrastructure with a massive influx of folk.

It's going to be buggy to some degree no matter what.

@ DazTroyer.

SA isn't going to struggle to attract players, but if it doesn't entertain for as long, or as well as you expect, the mod-mods will still be available.

Lots of the current versions are heading in directions that SA likely won't be, so particular features aren't necessarily putting them in direct competition, just adding more choice.

Well whenever he releases I do hope that the options to hide stuff come out as most of us hope. Would be nice to go beyond pitching a tent somewhere in the boonies and praying to my lucky stars that someone doesn't fly a helo over it, to which it sticks out like rock concert pyrotechnics.

Well you'll be happy to see that in the 1.7.7 changelog, there's an additional two cache sites being included. Doesn't speak to SA, but certainly is a matter of just including the items.

• Like 1