mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer blog 26th April, Video from PAX and our latest "building"

I've encountered a new revelation in my "forest enhancement" discussion.

There has been one area that I have never really explored in my year of playing DayZ, the area between Berezino and NEAF. The wooded area along the coast near Black Lake.

I was pleasantly surprised at how detailed and varied this woodland environment was. There are rock formations (which is suggestive of a coast, but not necessarily the case with inland forests), trenches, ditches, groves, and underbrush. If only the rest of Chernarus was more like that area. Just makes traveling through the woods less like traveling through a collonade of trees with no underbrush to speak of.

That, and the newly debuted "The Forest" survival alpha looks great. I don't expect any kind of forests approaching that displayed in the trailer in DayZ, but it certainly provides an immersive example to strive for.

• Like 8

Yeah, that area's really distinctive and it's much more interesting. I've had some scary moments in there being chased by people but because of the design you actually stand a chance of finding cover. In a lot of the other woodland areas it's just featureless with no cover at all.

Yeah, it's basically just hills with trees slapped on. Sometimes there might be bushes and low-branch trees.

Edited by Sutinen

Agreed about the forests...

But the wreck becoming a hotspot, I dont necessarily thing so... If the loot spawn is made some what smart, not like in the mod... mod has hotspots only because there spawns the best gear, and if the ship is off shore and spawn avarage items it would be a just another place to loot like any places on land, except its on the sea and harder to get to.. there for not so popular... same if its on the shore, easyer to loot and its equal to houses etc etc as a place, only looks cool. But if its a cargoship I would expect it to spawn better than avarage loot, at least wide variety of items and there for worth the trip....

we can only speculate..

Edited by Zeppa

I've encountered a new revelation in my "forest enhancement" discussion.

There has been one area that I have never really explored in my year of playing DayZ, the area between Berezino and NEAF. The wooded area along the coast near Black Lake.

I was pleasantly surprised at how detailed and varied this woodland environment was. There are rock formations (which is suggestive of a coast, but not necessarily the case with inland forests), trenches, ditches, groves, and underbrush. If only the rest of Chernarus was more like that area. Just makes traveling through the woods less like traveling through a collonade of trees with no underbrush to speak of.

That, and the newly debuted "The Forest" survival alpha looks great. I don't expect any kind of forests approaching that displayed in the trailer in DayZ, but it certainly provides an immersive example to strive for.

Yeah, it's nice in the north east. Also, damn that forest game looks GOOD!

Checking in... we having a dev blog or update tomorrow? Man, I can't believe we are close to June already. I don't know how "June" is relevant to DayZ, but I could of sworn I saw a whole bunch of "June" posts back in December lol.

Edited by twinturbonet

Checking in... we having a dev blog or update tomorrow? Man, I can't believe we are close to June already. I don't know how "June" is relevant to DayZ, but I could of sworn I saw a whole bunch of "June" posts back in December lol.

Don't ask questions like this. Last time I asked if there was going to be a dev-blog, you would have thought I suggested that we be able to ride bronies in the standalone.
  • Like 3

There's no predictable pattern in the dev blog updates, Fridayish is the most accurate.

Also I wouldn't bet all my belongings on a June release, before Rocket has provided solid proof that he survived his trip to Mt. Everest. We're also dealing with software development in general and with Mr. Indie-rock developer of 2012 in particular, so your guess is as good as mine. Although I did predict BI wasn't holding back the release to January 7 to avoid the Steam holiday sales.

Junes the date when everyone starts sending the death threats because the game isnt 100% finished :D

• Like 5

This is all just apart of the plan. Dean doesn't want everyone buying the game. The delay of news and info will put off some people, which will then buy it later when they hear their friends ranting over it.

This way the servers are not decimated on launch day (will happen either way.)

Anyone who thinks they will be playing SA in June should seriously reconsider. The only thing I expect for June is the completed server architecture, some other cool stuff produced by the art department, and possibly a release date the 2nd week of June. Although I could be wrong and maybe tomorrow Rocket will release DayZ SA from atop Mt. Everest with every feature implemented including a masturbation simulator [to replace the heat pack].

• Like 3

This is all just apart of the plan. Dean doesn't want everyone buying the game. The delay of news and info will put off some people, which will then buy it later when they hear their friends ranting over it.

This way the servers are not decimated on launch day (will happen either way.)

Much better theory than umadCRUNCH's delay-hype-sell theory.

... every feature implemented including a masturbation simulator [to replace the heat pack].

This would be awesome. The non-hud visual side effect could be that all the female skins get hotter and wear less clothes the more time you go between taking care of business. And your focal point could constantly drift towards their cleavage.

Edited by TD-4242
  • Like 1

Havnt really had time to read through the whole forum, but are they planning on adding something that adds abit of danger when traveling through the fortresses (except for other players)?

Some animal like a bear, maybe a snake or so. Traveling through the forest is (atleast from my experience) mostly risk-free, since you rarely encounter any players there and there is no places for zombies to spawn from.

Perhaps add some wood-cabins (with some zombie spawns around/inside them) which would increase the density of players prowling in the fortress in those areas, hunting for supplies.

Havnt really had time to read through the whole forum, but are they planning on adding something that adds abit of danger when traveling through the fortresses (except for other players)?

Some animal like a bear, maybe a snake or so. Traveling through the forest is (atleast from my experience) mostly risk-free, since you rarely encounter any players there and there is no places for zombies to spawn from.

Perhaps add some wood-cabins (with some zombie spawns around/inside them) which would increase the density of players prowling in the fortress in those areas, hunting for supplies.

Yes danger in the woods is confirmed (more like hordes of zeds wandering the woods scaring the shits out of players and boars alike), no info (i think) on dangerous animals for alpha at least. About wood cabins: We have deer stands and IMHO the woods need to feel like a wilderness,with not much human stuff in, and a dangerous wilderness at that.

Deer has also been confirmed( not really dangerous I know :P ) and I remember Rocket saying that the map designers have started redoing the northern part of the map (which is mainly wood and farmland). I really hope they will implement the new arma 3 fog in the SA, especially in the forest areas.

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 1

MMMMMMM. Misty forest at night would be a winner.

• Like 2

MMMMMMM. Misty forest at night would be a winner.

Hear hear, I'd fap to that.

bring on the next devblog! ..... please :-)

EDIT:

Oops there's already 2 weeks passed since the last devblog. I've lost a week somewhere...

Edited by St. Jimmy