mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

I don't know if I'm head over heels in love with the jumping, but it's nice to get a small proof of life update. :)

I noticed a few issues / wonders (No offence meant)

Players start with underwear?

No 3rd person view except when showing pathing?

Player sat down with rifle, rifle not shown fully.

Vault, have you combined a small jump with a vault? this movement will change the gameplay great.

Barefoot and booted feet make same sound.

Loving the rotating movement, not just a circleing movemenet (Except when holding a weapon?)

As this vid showed the graphics low, I wonder how it will look when they add interiors into the flats. Add new skeletons and I am finding it hard to see the game running smooth unless you have a beast of a machine.

Waving? you meant putting your hand up for axing a question?

Running in buildings but walking up stairs?

Floating loot in cars? 13.47ish

If they are crashed vehicle they will make it hard to scavenge parts from.

Zombie pathing, when player ran over the knackered washer, the zed stopped! are obstacles an issue for them still?

Apart from the above, I thank you for sharing and cannot wait until it is ready for release.

Well what can you say, it simply looks WOW!!! 4000 zombies on the map is frigging awesome and the map looks amazing. So can't wait to get stuck into it, sooner rather than later, please. :)

As for the motion blur, it looks like high AA and post processing is on, should be better when we play it and turn all that off. Kinda wonder why devs use it at all, most turn it off for crisper visuals and better fps.

Edited by DazTroyer

Michael, there were no zombies on the server when I was on but I was running maxed out with AA turned down to 'high' and post-process and ambient occlusion disabled and my PC isn't great. It runs fine and I'm thinking there's probably still optimisation to be done before release. :)

Also, you need to understand that the current build isn't ready to be played and they're currently updating at least once per day, so any issues will be fixed before release.

• Like 3

Will there be a performance hit on the new pathfinding? Have read that performance will probably land on the same as it is now with the mod in terms of FPS. And it doesn't matter if you rush it out or taking your time, you will still have over 300k sales the first 10 dayZ of release, that I'm pretty sure of. 500k within a month 100% sure. 20-35 € times a couple of 100k is something. 1 mil players within 6-7 months for a shitty mod with a great idea, chances are good the numbers will improve with a awesome game with a lot of thoughts put into it

Edited by Mad mega

Looks promising.

I'm just wondering though. With all the work you still have to do to make the game perfect. How would a release before New Year even be possible? :S

Edited by Snilex

functional helmets...cars with working doors....interiors for all this huge buildings...leaving trash,...dogs....jump animation...standing on cars....4000 zeds...etc etc etc...( so many exciting infos)

and people whining about the blue sky, motion blur and video settings....

sorry but f.ck you !!

Car doors opening are nothing special enough to hold of release,

Interiors - looking awsome, obviously a good amount of time was spent on them, major props here

Leaving trash behind - nothing vital but nice touch

Dogs - same as trash, not vital but a nice touch

Jumping - about damn time yet not vital

Standing on cars - ?? whats so special about that?

4000 zeds was a test, will never happen on a server as it takes up too much resources. But its great to know that something 1-2k zeds may be a possibility

IMO most of the above (interiors and zed test aside) is LESS important to me personally than say some work beeing done on the lighting/colours for example.

Also, is this even still planned to be released as an alpha/minecraft model? You are working on stuff that really really did not need to be done just yet in order for the game to be released as an alpha. Even building interiors could have been added gradually..

• Like 1

Also, is this even still planned to be released as an alpha/minecraft model? You are working on stuff that really really did not need to be done just yet in order for the game to be released as an alpha. Even building interiors could have been added gradually..

That's just how it works when developing a game, if you are waiting for your animators etc to finish work on zombies you don't just have the rest of your team sitting around doing nothing, you have them working on something else even if it's not stuff that is critical for the alpha release.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 3

Rocket Says: Done when it's done.

this sentence is fashionable at the moment. You know if you have 10 working days or 3 months. All work in the industry have a dead line.

Do not make me believe that you did not.

You can tell us if the project is scheduled for mid 2013 or more year-end.

Stop to take us for idiots! Thx

• Like 2

The main issue with first person in the mod is that the FOV is terrible. It needs to be increased a bit IMO.

In the video some of the loot is showing up as those little green pouches, like in the mod. Hope that is going to be changed :)

City looked great and I think all these new areas are going to add a lot of exciting game play to the map. Another issue with the mod IMO is that there are not enough higher value loot points. So really, you only get decent action at the NWAF. If NEAF was made a little bigger (a barracks added etc) it would be awesome. Also Green Mountain would be a great place for a higher grade loot spawn - the battles to try to take and hold that place would be immense. The key I guess is finding the balance between adding more interesting areas yet still keeping plenty of forest/wilderness. Also some thicker trees are needed in places for hiding tents/cars, as at the moment they are easily found by choppers. Some camo net/cover (rare spawn) would be a nice addition to the game. I'm rambling - you've probably already addressed most of these things

I like the vault animation, the animations still seem very Arma2 style though. Is that going to change with the new skeletons/animations? Good progress on zombie path finding too! I can't wait for this game, keep up the good work!

Oh yeah, meant to say it would be awesome to have a mapper working full time on another map from like now. Then in 6 months time it would be ready to provide an alternative to chernarus!

Edited by aces
  • Like 1

Great. Yeaaah! Rocket is great, instead of showing us what he likes to show, he just made a video and showed what he had.

I would like them to have entered one of these buildings:

47a77146.png

Are they going to be enterable? All the plants? Coool!!!

Rocket Says: Done when it's done.

this sentence is fashionable at the moment. You know if you have 10 working days or 3 months. All work in the industry have a dead line.

Do not make me believe that you did not.

You can tell us if the project is scheduled for mid 2013 or more year-end.

Stop to take us for idiots! Thx

I'm sure they've set themselves internal deadlines but why set themselves up for a fall by telling us X will be achieved by Z date? It serves no purpose apart from putting more pressure on them than they already have and raising hopes. If one of those deadlines was to move or be changed for unexpected reasons (which is highly likely in game development, especially when trying things no other game has ever attempted) this forum would then be overflowing with tears by people feeling let down, cheated or lied to as we've seen in the past.

I think by telling us it's done when it's done is actually treating us like adults. We just have to have patience, like an adult.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 7

You know if you have 10 working days or 3 months.

No you don't, because developing a game is not a linear task. Unexpected shit happens. In a project as complex as DayZ, implement a feature might break another one, and then it's extra debugging time that you can't possibly predict. That's why games are delayed. It has nothing to do with the "profesionalism" of the devs, hell i'd say a studio that takes time to delay a game and debug it is more professionnal than one that release a messy code full of known bugs just for cash

"It's done when it's done" is all fine and dandy when you expect a fully finished game, this was expected to be released as an alpha. Unless the done when its done means they dumped the minecraft model/alpha release and are just going for a completed game release. Either way it would be cool of them to man up and throw us an ESTIMATED release date atleast..

• Like 1

"It's done when it's done" is all fine and dandy when you expect a fully finished game, this was expected to be released as an alpha. Unless the done when its done means they dumped the minecraft model/alpha release and are just going for a completed game release. Either way it would be cool of them to man up and throw us an ESTIMATED release date atleast..

You always seem so angry about this game...

• Like 5

The current build isn't playable.

They haven't given an estimated release date because they just don't know. While they've made a lot of progress, there's still a lot of work to be done and they don't know how long it's going to take. Like Fraggle said - everyone just has to chill out and be patient. :)

• Like 2

You always seem so angry about this game...

Must be my general dislike over Rocket and the general fanboy attitude of the forum making you feel that way. Im actually a pritty calm person.

Must be my general dislike over Rocket and the general fanboy attitude of the forum making you feel that way. Im actually a pritty calm person.

I know exactly how you feel.

Yesterday I signed up to a birdwatching forum to tell all those damn birdwatchers how they suck.

Damn fanboys!

• Like 12

but what will be the impact? that is what i want to know. i always hear how a big deal this is going to be. just some info about that, that would be what i like to get ;) or is this just strictly confidential? do mean thiese skeletons smoother anmis, less clunky, more authentic and accurate med. and health system?

Rocket posted this on reddit about 11 hours ago on the skeleton topic, when someone had a similar concern to yours:

by Elecxelin dayz

"The old skeleton is ten years old. Just think of games from ten years ago... The first model with the new skeleton is in game (but with only one LOD), and even running on old animations it looks better. When using new animations I imagine the result will be stunning. An example is that the underarm of the old model stretched terribly, making shoulder animations awful. The new skeleton looks fantastic."

edit: spelling

Edited by TheTuss
  • Like 4

I know exactly how you feel.

Yesterday I signed up to a birdwatching forum to tell all those damn birdwatchers how they suck.

Damn fanboys!

See this is what im talking about, I never once stated I am not a fan of the game. I actually love it, and as far as I know, this forum is about the game, not about kissing Rockets backside.

See this is what im talking about, I never once stated I am not a fan of the game. I actually love it, and as far as I know, this forum is about the game, not about kissing Rockets backside.

Cool. Well now wev'e cleared that up lets talk about about the recent devblog.

• Like 1

I have one criticism, Rockets choice of testers.

There was no enthusiasm, no constructive feedback, no sense of fun and they contributed very little, next time try inviting some popular youtubers who are vocal, opinionated, confident and know how to communicate honest opinions to a viewership.

• Like 7