mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

I use a PCI card, recording does absolutely nothing to my framerate.

Like I said: open broadcasting software

Not impressed, I don't understand the format of it but ok........... just didn't really show anything and everyone was awkward on it.

Please for the love of god, turn off motion blur and post processing, it just makes everything look like crap. ARMA 3 does it too be default and I don't understand why, I'm not liking HDR though, I wish I could turn it off in ARMA 3 because it gives everything this haze to it.

I don't want zombies to move faster or follow you faster either, the problem with them right now is they aren't fun to fight. Like they glitch out all over the place, their animations suck and all the time I go "fuck sake I aggro'd" and I often wonder why. Like the way they spot or hear you seems rather random right now. I'd rather a more gamey system like MGS guards or something, that was it would be predictable. It isn't fun to aggro either, you have to drag them into a building to slow them down otherwise they're impossible to hit. I'd rather Slower zombies but just having more of them and more ways to kill them with fun items like Dead Rising or something.

I just dunno what is taking so long to release it, I feel like the hype is going down and you've missed the window a bit. I'm fine with buying what you have now and getting updates released like how Dayz used to be. If you're up front and honest that people are buying an alpha then there can be no complaints.

If it ends up being released at the end of the year or something, I'll just find it hard to care. I got bored of Dayz like Oct last year and have been waiting ever since. However for some reason waiting turns into bitterness and lots of my friends feel the same where they're bored of waiting and they ain't interested any more. I mean I'm still interested, however if I'm not gonna have any friends playing, I'll find it hard to stick around. Similar thing happened with Planetside 2 where it's like, we're waiting for too long for something to be implemented, my friends quit, so I did because it isn't fun and no one cares enough to go back to it anymore.

So I think the Dayz hype train is only declining and you need to release it sooner rather than later. It's fun to by an alpha game and get updates for it often anyways, that is why I loved Dayz so much back in the day because there was always something new. As soon as there stopped being new stuff, I got bored of it and haven't had any desire to go back to it since.

I don't want the UI to be streamlined either, I love how it takes ages to use it. If it's gonna become quick then suddenly the risk of looting is gone and suddenly the time is taken out too, so there is no risk in switching between items. In real life you don't have everything on a hot bar, you'll have to go through a bag to get stuff...

Really though all I wanted form Dayz SA is a Dayz game I didn't have to go round and install on peoples PCs because they found to to complicated to do so. Then a new map or a Chernarus that was actually fun to play on, you know maybe a big city in the middle so people travel instead of staying in the same locations. Maybe some NPCs and base building that was seamless and not instanced because that would suck. Obviously the zombies fixed or taken out because right now they add nothing to the game, just serve to annoy.

I'm not impressed by the video though, I think it was poorly done, and I dunno you came off like too protective over your own work. Really I'd like to see a more natural video where you're just having a play session....

Just give it that Frankie1080p guy and that 5hizzle twitch TV guy and watch them play on the same server with other people like TB and Yogscast, it would be more fun having a video series like that, where they stumble upon new features instead of having them forced.

Edited by Miffy
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don't know about other people. But capturing on fraps halves my framerate. There is a capture card on the machine, just need to figure out how to use it.

Indeed it does, take a note of that guys.

Rocket, don't worry about certain individuals trying to rush you. Most people I've spoken to with at least half a brain understand the need to release the game when it's ready, and not sooner. A great game is far more important than a rushed version - something to last and capture the masses, instead of something that looks rushed and disappoints.

Take your time and the game will certainly show it. Looks great now by the way!

• Like 5

Haha those cans of beans look in far too good condition :) think they need to be a bit more dirty!

• Like 1

snip

*shrug*

It would be pointless me trying to make the game you want, because I only know the game I want. I'm making that game, based on what you said, I don't think you will enjoy the standalone. There's nothing wrong with that at all. And yes, the video is poorly done and unprofessional. But it was published within hours of capture and didn't hide anything. Objective achieved. I'm happy with that, we enjoy making the videos it turns what is normally a chore into a fun little extra task.

Edited by rocket
legendary mispelling
  • Like 25

great!

but i hope in future it has a Chinese language package,because many Chinese player support dayz,play dayz mod. :)

great!

but i hope in future it has a Chinese language package,because many Chinese player support dayz,play dayz mod. :)

One of the reasons we chosen the TKOH engine is because it already had additional language character support (TKOH was released with a Japanese language edition).

I'm keen to have it translated for as many languages as possible, Chinese and Korean are very high on that list.

• Like 7

Or I could just record on low/normal then everyone is pleasantly surprised when it looks better :)

Ah yes, under-promise and over-deliver. That's just what Sergey would do.

:D Nice work, fellas. My credit card is ready.

EDIT - Btw, I like these raw, "thrown-together" video blogs. I see them as a way to quickly touch base with the players/fans. Besides, if you posted a polished, professionally-produced "behind the scenes" mini-documentary each go 'round, people would bitch that you should be expending that effort on the game instead. Cheers...

Edited by Drunk in Cherno
  • Like 10

Horah! 3 things that kind were "meh" in the blog. First the testers were... awkward and didn't really participate much in discussion, it felt like Rocket had to force them to speak. Wish they could have someone like dslexy on this.

I concur. It would have been a boon to the aforementioned development team if they were to avail themselves of a more scholarly individual; One that could endeavour to thoroughly elucidate on the transfiguration of our beloved mod. Such variance in method, when applied to successive video broadcasts would serve to illustrate the trajectory of their efforts with much greater acuity.

Edited by Bribase
  • Like 1

I have a question? When's the dayz website going to be active and what is it going to consist of???

Thanks for a great dev update.

I like the idea of fingerprints. That satisfying feeling when you match the prints of a dead bandit to the ones you pulled off your raided camp, or murdered friend. I wish we could find shell casing on the ground, but I'm sure that would be a performance issue.

• Like 2

Yeh I mean opinions are opinions and this game is not made by me, I wouldn't know how anyways. I'm just speaking as someone using my own personal experiences and as a fan of the game...

I just think releasing the game wouldn't cause complaints, people are not stupid and know what they're buying. If you try to fool people like Warz, then you get that result, if you try to put some bullshit DRM on the game like Sim City, then you get that result. If you say the game is Alpha, buy it at this knocked down price, be honest about it and continue to support it, then you get the result of Minecraft or ARMA 3.

Dayz is really in that category too, I don't know a single person who bought ARMA 2 and it's obvious that most people bought the game for Dayz than they did originally. People basically bought Dayz, they didn't buy ARMA 2 and no one has complained, there hasn't been a big outcry. We all knew what we were buying...

Personally I feel like Dayz SA should be released now, there is a good window now, not much coming out for quite awhile that will compete. You don't wanna release towards the end of the year or anywhere near COD, BF or GTA etc etc.

I just wanna play Dayz again before I get tired of waiting lol.

Edit: What I have found though is the private servers and custom maps have tended to go towards a different direction and people have gone that way too. I'm just hoping on release of SA that you don't prevent that because it's my personal preferred way of playing. I'm a purist and any form of instancing or making stuff easier would just be the end for me, it has to be seamless, it has to be hard and I want maximum customization, no matter what the cost to the smoothness of the game. To the point I play Project 1999, SWGEmu and Feenix server for WoW Vanilla, for me these emus are better than what the developers have tried to make.

It is important to allow mods, history has shown that games with mods do better than without, Dayz has proven this. BF1942 with DC Mod, BF2 with PR mod, HL2 probably sold more on the millions of Source based mods, that it ever did for the SP game. The original HL wouldn't be as big as it is now without CS, TFC, DoD NS etc etc.

Edit: My complaint isn't about the video being unprofessional or anything like that, I just don't think it was good. As someone who will watch anything on a game I cannot wait for and who will watch every episode of a TV show like Breaking bad in a weekend because someone recommended it to me.... I just don't think it was worth watching. There was no real content and it wasn't presented in a way where I knew what the hell was going on. I don't get why you're so reserved on showing certain things other than they're not really in the game yet. If the new inventory is really in there, then show us so we can give feedback, people wont hate you for it.

I dunno though, you're way smarter than me, people who make these games are and it is your game.

Btw. Watch a Show called "Life After People"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XDbcMND7fY

It's great research.

Sadly most dogs will starve locked up in houses :(

Edited by Miffy
  • Like 1

Does anybody have a link to the video other than youtube? I can't watch it, as youtube is blocked in China and all proxy servers I have are not working atm. Thanks

Personally I feel like Dayz SA should be released now, there is a good window now, not much coming out for quite awhile that will compete.

It does not matter when it comes out. DayZ need no window. There is no compete today, tomorrow, in one week, in one month or in one year.

Edited by NoCheats

What is it with people demanding professional videos? Isnt the whole point of a dev blog to give us a snippet of what the guys are doing? Why would you bother creating a cinematic masterpiece when all you are doing is showing people where you are in development and what you are doing?

You honestly can't please everyone can you?

• Like 2

I'm glad the video doesn't look like one of those many hype generators pushed out by other companies. I prefer a slapped together Rocket and Matt vid over a video created by a committee of pencil pushers standing behind some underpaid video editing monkey. It feels more grounded and seems aimed at informing the fans rather than generating preorders.

I like the idea of fingerprints. That satisfying feeling when you match the prints of a dead bandit to the ones you pulled off your raided camp, or murdered friend. I wish we could find shell casing on the ground, but I'm sure that would be a performance issue.

For some reason I thought he meant fingerprints as in smeared food or blood to suggest the can wasn't just some old trash loot but a can recently used by another player or bandit. Well, I hope he meant that. Going full CSI in a zombie apocalypse seems kind of weird in my book.

• Like 2

Will there be an animation that can happen when a player picks something up? Would be nice to be able to see which person is taking the items out of a lot pile. Either an arm reach out or even just a floating object up to the players chest and disappears.

• Like 2

i still dont think ive ever seen an answer to this query..

how do the devs. plan to handle new spawns/ new players being able to get up to speed on acquiring weapons with which to fight back, if Zombies will now basicly be able to stay latched onto you ASAP, no matter were you go inside/outside

if a fresh player cant ever loss a Z. how can they ever be expected to stop to loot something,..

with the current mod, i still remember it was hard as hell to stay alive when u didnt know how anything worked.. and that was with Z's that didnt see you easily or have a hope in hell of catching you.

i just see this is a problem that perhaps hasnt been flushed out yet. cuz basicly everyone testing knows every trick in the DayZ handbook..

perhaps sitting someone down who has NEVER played, offer them no hints and tips, and watch to see how they get along/survive/die..

Edited by Siberian
  • Like 1

Wow, that escalated quickly lol. Chill out guys. The team is doing the best, they have lives you know, they are not robots, they can't work 24/7...

Now, as far as the video goes, I would agree with some people about the motion blur. It really sucks, it is suitable for Need for Speed, but not DayZ :)

Other than that - I heard well that Rocket said it was a quick "dirty" video blog, so I can't complain about the quality.

AND I am still interested whether if they are going to work on the wilderness and the nature as well ^_^ This question has been bothering me, I really don't want to see those boring forests from the mod again...

The city looks quite impressive, so I would expect the same from whatever is beyond cities.

Just to recapture what I said about this matter: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125037-dayz-devblog-22nd-february-2013/page__st__200#entry1206468

• Like 1

maybe if your 12 years old and have no cash flow. This game will succeed. It has to succeed. Not only for DAYZ, or rocket, but to finally start showing game companies you can't mass produce crap because we have no other choice where to spend it.

It is actually quite hard for me to find a gamer who hasn't heard of DAYZ. They may not have played it, but they have had a friend that did and would tell stories everyday at the water cooler. Also Having a friend that showed them a video. I also have several friends that refuse to play it as a mod and are waiting for SA.

The Day it hits steam you are looking at 100k immediate sales, I bet 250 the first week. I just wish those sale numbers will be released to us at some point. I't be neat to see.

A purchase for DAYZSA is a purchase for a better pc gaming experience. I can't wait to buy rocket's NEXT game let alone DAYZ !!!

I like the enthusiam, just don't get too carried away :D The game hasn't even came out yet!

• Like 1