mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

Hey Rocket, here is a simple suggestion for the next "dirty devblog video".

So far everything we have seen has been on sunny, happy go-lucky days. Can we see some inclement weather or night footage :ph34r: ?

Night time might not be ideal for a showcase of the environment, but you could showcase the inventory system just fine at night! :)

Right now the new environments aren't really that scary because it is all sunny and nice out. I would bet that, during a cloudy day, the dimly lit halls of the Chernogorsk Central Hospital would be horrifying.

Imagine travelling through the reeds, knee-deep in mud, on a stormy day in the swamp. This would be very atmospheric and would bring back fond memories of Zaton, in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., with a unique DayZ twist!

This

http://www.ambweb.org/incoming/stalker-cop03zaton.jpg

+

This

dayz.jpg

Would equal a great mood for some intense, immersive, action.

Edited by Vindicator

Man, its going to be so great not having just two or three popular loot spots in a town. I can't wait to rummage around in all the new buildings we will be able to get into. It'll be scary knowing that there could be someone looting right down the hall from you or a few floors above you and you'll have know idea.

-but maybe with the new zombies people will actually have to fight them, so that would be a sign that there is someone in the building with you.

Edited by Gunther

What sucks is that it still looks clunky. I mean A3's engine improved on that. It has a good chance of swaying people of to A3.

I don't think Dayz will survive with just one map. I mean we'll play it for 2-3 months and then just get bored. When that happened in Dayz mod, we just switched to Taviana, Lingor, Namalsk etc. Been playing since May, now I'm just bored.

If they want to do it right, they need to include other maps, like load-ins, or a mission to get to the next map through challenges with varied difficulties. And they need to add in a LOT more content than different colored hoodies and motorcycle helmets. There needs to be a group mechanic implemented and stuff of that sort. The game needs end game beyond just mindless PVP.

• Like 2

What sucks is that it still looks clunky. I mean A3's engine improved on that. It has a good chance of swaying people of to A3.

I don't think Dayz will survive with just one map. I mean we'll play it for 2-3 months and then just get bored. When that happened in Dayz mod, we just switched to Taviana, Lingor, Namalsk etc. Been playing since May, now I'm just bored.

If they want to do it right, they need to include other maps, like load-ins, or a mission to get to the next map through challenges with varied difficulties. And they need to add in a LOT more content than different colored hoodies and motorcycle helmets. There needs to be a group mechanic implemented and stuff of that sort. The game needs end game beyond just mindless PVP.

2-3 months on a map is a bad thing? lol You might want to wait to criticize a games future features once a game is released. They are still finishing Chernarus which is significantly bigger and more dense than before. Once they finish Chernarus, I'm sure they'll move to work on a new map. I do agree abit with the animations, but this all still WIP stuff, in the video they talk about the new skeletons that will be put in which leads to better animation.

• Like 2

2-3 months on a map is a bad thing? lol You might want to wait to criticize a games future features once a game is released. They are still finishing Chernarus which is significantly bigger and more dense than before. Once they finish Chernarus, I'm sure they'll move to work on a new map. I do agree abit with the animations, but this all still WIP stuff, in the video they talk about the new skeletons that will be put in which leads to better animation.

Well, I heard they'll add some towns and some small areas, and a small island, utes I think, correct me if I'm wrong. That's cool I guess, but it's just small additions. I guess the pace of looting will change from popular areas(dayz mod) to vehicles and enterable buildings. But do you really think that is a big improvement? Lingor has almost every single house enterable. And yes it was interesting, but it didn't really make a radical impression on me. I already know Chernarus by heart. I've been playing Taviana lately, before that Lingor, and before that Namalsk and to tell you the truth I don't feel any nostalgia towards Chernarus. I had good times on that map, but the map itself is very bland. It does have a very "the walking dead" tone to it, but I burned through that a while ago.

Also, I'm kinda puzzled by why didn't Rocket use Arma 3's engine, which is a HUGE improvement from the clunkiness of Arma 2's. I mean, some guys already ported-in Chernarus to A3 in less than 24 hours of Alpha release. That would've been a huge leap forward in terms of movements, animations etc.

I'm a bit iffy on this one. Sorry.

Also, I'm kinda puzzled by why didn't Rocket use Arma 3's engine, which is a HUGE improvement from the clunkiness of Arma 2's. I mean, some guys already ported-in Chernarus to A3 in less than 24 hours of Alpha release. That would've been a huge leap forward in terms of movements, animations etc.

I'm a bit iffy on this one. Sorry.

It's been stated endless times that the arma 3 engine has irrelevant coding that isn't needed in dayz. Dayz SA engine will be streamlined for this game, which has been stated a million times over already on these forums.

It's been stated endless times that the arma 3 engine has irrelevant coding that isn't needed in dayz. Dayz SA engine will be streamlined for this game, which has been stated a million times over already on these forums.

I'm not that active on the forums really. I just check in on announcements once in a while.

So you're saying that there will be improvement in movements from the A2's in the video we just saw?

I really hate the reticle on the AK in the new devblog. Looks way too "arcady" and out of place, reminds me of games like dead island. Not something I want to see in a zombie apocalypse simulator but I'm sure its just a place holder. I'm still a bit worried though that some of the new changes will turn out to be a bit on the "gamey" side, even a simple drag and drop inventory menu, as convenient as it may be, would take me out of the game. It just doesn't fit the simulation formula this game is built on. Please be careful with such things.

Arma 3 is using a drag and drop inventory and it works just fine. Better than wrestling with a flawed menu system.

I'm not that active on the forums really. I just check in on announcements once in a while.

So you're saying that there will be improvement in movements from the A2's in the video we just saw?

Yes. Data is currently being motion captured and as I understand it will be added to the game further down the road along with new player skeletons, in fact skeletons that are newer than the ones used in Arma 3.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Great video. It was awesome to see people wearing different clothes! It looked more like a group of guys hanging out in their city... which was awesome. I'm excited to see how the clothing system impacts social interactions (clans, gangs, etc...) I love the fact that you'll have to open doors and boots to loot vehicles. And, yeah, that shot of the zombies milling about was enticingly daunting, I'm looking forward to figuring out how I'm going to get through that. And, I love the idea of wandering herds of zombies.

And animal tracking, possibly?! Aww, yeah... "Where is he, boy? Go, get 'em!" Excellent!

I love the details you guys are adding and if you were making slick videos, I'd wonder why you were slacking off on the game... haha! My only criticism would be for the guests... maybe now the next group will know to be more forthcoming with their commentary; it was a bit painful to look from guy to guy thinking, "Don't everyone talk at once, now." ;)

Edited by entspeak
  • Like 1

There's gonna be brand new anims + skeleton.. You didn't listen, right?

• Like 1

Man them people are SO lucky, and they don't even seem very cooperative :( aha let me test!

looks great guys im looking forward to seeing more of this :)

AWESOMESAUCE

Kudos Devs!

Edited by Zarniwoop

Man them people are SO lucky, and they don't even seem very cooperative :( aha let me test!

looks great guys im looking forward to seeing more of this :)

Don't worry, just because the guy's you saw in the vid didn't look too chatty, I can assure you they do their bit when it comes to testing and have been submitting very comprehensive bug reports that help the devs no end. Believe it or not testing isn't fun. Of course it's cool being able to see the new map but ATM most features are disabled or only enabled one at a time for testing.

• Like 1

ah...well rested and did not see the new devblog yet ;) shame on me...

Don't worry, just because the guy's you saw in the vid didn't look too chatty, I can assure you they do their bit when it comes to testing and have been submitting very comprehensive bug reports that help the devs no end. Believe it or not testing isn't fun. Of course it's cool being able to see the new map but ATM most features are disabled or only enabled one at a time for testing.

I know Fraggle it's not the best, i have plenty experience in the game industry :P just i don't think they realize how lucky they are aha

Keep up the good work Rocket! It's looking amazing! Just one thing to ask of you:P Could you pretty please turn of smoothing when you do the devblogs?

maybe if your 12 years old and have no cash flow. This game will succeed. It has to succeed. Not only for DAYZ, or rocket, but to finally start showing game companies you can't mass produce crap because we have no other choice where to spend it.

It is actually quite hard for me to find a gamer who hasn't heard of DAYZ. They may not have played it, but they have had a friend that did and would tell stories everyday at the water cooler. Also Having a friend that showed them a video. I also have several friends that refuse to play it as a mod and are waiting for SA.

The Day it hits steam you are looking at 100k immediate sales, I bet 250 the first week. I just wish those sale numbers will be released to us at some point. I't be neat to see.

A purchase for DAYZSA is a purchase for a better pc gaming experience. I can't wait to buy rocket's NEXT game let alone DAYZ !!!

i love to read reviews on amazon about cpus and graphic cards and ppl rate them worse, because they suck at dayz ;)

• Like 1

If this may be a suggestion, I hope that the zombie count might represent an estimated guess of residents actually living there. I would find it a bit odd to see a small town having almost a third of the zombie population in them (unless the herds are going around).

There's gonna be brand new anims + skeleton.. You didn't listen, right?

but what will be the impact? that is what i want to know. i always hear how a big deal this is going to be. just some info about that, that would be what i like to get ;) or is this just strictly confidential? do mean thiese skeletons smoother anmis, less clunky, more authentic and accurate med. and health system?

Edited by joe_mcentire

Just one question: is Rocket still planning a minecraft-like release (I mean early alpha release to a modest price and updates from that point) like he stated some time ago or will there be a final product release?

Because many people say they are glad that Rocket isn't rushing the game and stuff like that, and that "it's done when it's done".

What I saw in the devblog seemed really playable to me so I'm just wondering why people think it will come out at the end of the year?

And imo you really can't compare the release of WARZ with the release of DayZ SA. I think WARZ was always an obvious scam and just intended for that purpose (money cow) while DayZ had a decent and playable "franchise" mod on the market which many people enjoyed. So I don't think you can compare rushing WARZ (scam game) to rushing DayZ SA (standalone release of a playable and liked arma2 mod, with improvements, additions, new features, ...).

• Like 1

functional helmets...cars with working doors....interiors for all this huge buildings...leaving trash,...dogs....jump animation...standing on cars....4000 zeds...etc etc etc...( so many exciting infos)

and people whining about the blue sky, motion blur and video settings....

sorry but f.ck you !!

• Like 16

there are really many things i remember were suggested in the forums. i guess they sometimes take a look. a note from time to time, which topics they review, well that'd be helpful. i'd like to focus on that things.