mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

I remember back in the day when a patch was released for the mod. These forums would come to a standstill.

There would be ober 50 pages of posts on a single patch thread within the hour

Rocket are you not worried about the sudden drop of interest.?

Sure theres a few people on the youtube video but nothing like it used to be.

I think the game needs to release soon. Do it like the Arma 3 Alpha on Steam.

WarZ is a big part of this. Its terrible and i think its putting people off alltogether when it comes to these Zombie simulators.

I love dayz and dont want to see it fail but i feel concerned :(

Rushing a game because there are impatient people is a terrible idea. DayZ had insane amounts of hype that was impossible to keep up. I'd rather they get the game right than just hurry the game out and have it suffer through problems.

• Like 3

^^Yup, it's hard not to see the irony in this. You want the game rushed out because you're worried that a failed game (because it was rushed out) has stolen DayZ's thunder. Patience is key here.

• Like 2

Rushing a game because there are impatient people is a terrible idea. DayZ had insane amounts of hype that was impossible to keep up. I'd rather they get the game right than just hurry the game out and have it suffer through problems.

I remember back in the day when a patch was released for the mod. These forums would come to a standstill.

WarZ is a big part of this. Its terrible and i think its putting people off alltogether when it comes to these Zombie simulators.

Honestly, I mean I just don't bother about things I can't change. I can't make it come out any faster. It comes out as fast as it does. It's no mystery to people what a quality product is, rushed out games don't happen because the development team can't tell if it's done or not - they happen due to external reasons.

If 300k sales occur for the game, I consider it a success. I imagine it will have recovered all its development costs ++ and met the objectives of the company.

There is not other option than "it's done when it's done" so there is no point in me worrying, that's just the way it is.

• Like 29

I still hope they do something about the lighting and color. It is way too dark an blueish ! Some people say it's just because of some clouds or the time, but in every video it looks the same.

Someone posted some screenshots how it should actually look ..

005_C1_zpscfdde992.jpg

003_C_zps43da2e1a.jpg

also the sun glare seems to be way too much, just like in the mod if we look at some old screenshots. Also the change of light / color in the current mod is just ridiculous. If you change your field of view the glare / lightning changes completely .. everything is colorfull if you look to the ground and if you look just a little bit more straight ahead / up it's getting darker. These changes are way too extrem and just unrealistic. especially as they also occur indoors ...

So please Dev-Team, do something about the colors / light / glare .... because in the game you experience these changes in lighting / glare very strongly but in realy life you don't even notice it that much. So it realy is just annoying.

Look how bright the desk and the lamp look / reflect the light:

1_dayz3.jpg

zombie-mmo-games-dayz-standalone-sun-room-screenshot.png

Everything is just fine in my opinion. I like the lighting and colour, the sun glare doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

Honestly, I mean I just don't bother about things I can't change. I can't make it come out any faster. It comes out as fast as it does. It's no mystery to people what a quality product is, rushed out games don't happen because the development team can't tell if it's done or not - they happen due to external reasons.

If 300k sales occur for the game, I consider it a success. I imagine it will have recovered all its development costs ++ and met the objectives of the company.

There is not other option than "it's done when it's done" so there is no point in me worrying, that's just the way it is.

Isnt this releasing as an alpha like arma 3 or will it be a complete game at release?

This is why you are in charge of not being retarded.

• Like 6

Could somebody please upload the dev video to another page than youtube? As odd as it sounds, but I am currently in a country that blocked youtube. And given the fact that I am barely alive since last week's devblog was not happening, I really would love to see the video. Thanks to anybody helping!

• Like 1

Hello there

It's a little early to judge on colours/saturation etc, especially from a few screen shots.

Also, remember the amount of tweaking A2's "shaders" have had?

I would not assume everything is set in stone just yet.

Rgds

LoK

I wish post process and motion blur was turned off in that video because it was annoying. Also you almost have to hold a gun against their head to get these testers talking if I were Rocket I would think my mic would be broken.

I believe that was a mixture of post-process+motion blur plus re-sampling which wasn't turned off when editing the video, you'd think they'd have a better video editor.

(Not trying to say Rocket can't edit, just let me do it from now on.)

Rocket, I just want to leave you a friendly warning!

I have big problems Lag plot (even in being low)

In Dayz Mod, ARMAII + OA or ARMAIII not know why I get so much LAG chart in GUN!, And I can run any other game as well! (GTX560 + i52310 + 8GB Ram, 1600mhz)

Do not let Dayz stay with this problem on my computer! issues would be grateful Chart!, Thanks for your work!

Edited by ramonsantospinto

Rocket how many people are testing the game now?

How are the servers handling the stress testing?

4000 zombies!! Anyways love the new environments, thank you for showing that a lot of progress has been made.

If the game is good then the people will come. I'm not even slightly worried.

To me it seems they know what they are doing and taking time to make sure things will be (within reason) fine at launch is excellent.

There is one lesson that The WarZ (and other games with a shakey launch) taught is that when you mock up your release its a very very bad situation to recover from.

Taking time and making sure the core elements are implemented correctly is the best thing the team can do, even if it takes a little bit longer then expected.

Edited by Grumpy Monkey
  • Like 1

First the testers were... awkward and didn't really participate much in discussion, it felt like Rocket had to force them to speak.

this is where the youtubers/streamers, that love to run their mouth, would have come in handy

• Like 3

4000 zombies!! Anyways love the new environments, thank you for showing that a lot of progress has been made.

The shot of the zombies wondering around in the field made me pause. If it's actually planned to be like that, wow, looting is going to be tricky. If it was just a test, still cool.

this is where the youtubers/streamers, that love to run their mouth, would have come in handy

Hmm, it's almost as if I need to test this for Rocket.

good work but its really late. dayzsa will be replaced with mods of arma3 when It comes out (probably before) so you better keep it like 10bucks if you want to sell. dont get me wrong I've played dayz since 30k players and supported everything but there is a simple law here: It was a miracle about what happened, now it cant be done with calculation no matter how big studio you have or effort you put in it. just release it.

Settings were normal/low because I couldn't figure out how to use the damn capture card so I had to run fraps.

MSI Afterburner is free, has many features, you can record, quality is great, and uses less system resources than fraps, try it!

MSI Afterburner is free, has many features, you can record, quality is great, and uses less system resources than fraps, try it!

fps is low mate. cant you see? thats why its low on every detail.

fps is low mate. cant you see? thats why its low on every detail.

Yeah, I don't know about other people. But capturing on fraps halves my framerate. There is a capture card on the machine, just need to figure out how to use it.

• Like 7

good work but its really late. dayzsa will be replaced with mods of arma3 when It comes out (probably before) so you better keep it like 10bucks if you want to sell. dont get me wrong I've played dayz since 30k players and supported everything but there is a simple law here: It was a miracle about what happened, now it cant be done with calculation no matter how big studio you have or effort you put in it. just release it.

maybe if your 12 years old and have no cash flow. This game will succeed. It has to succeed. Not only for DAYZ, or rocket, but to finally start showing game companies you can't mass produce crap because we have no other choice where to spend it.

It is actually quite hard for me to find a gamer who hasn't heard of DAYZ. They may not have played it, but they have had a friend that did and would tell stories everyday at the water cooler. Also Having a friend that showed them a video. I also have several friends that refuse to play it as a mod and are waiting for SA.

The Day it hits steam you are looking at 100k immediate sales, I bet 250 the first week. I just wish those sale numbers will be released to us at some point. I't be neat to see.

A purchase for DAYZSA is a purchase for a better pc gaming experience. I can't wait to buy rocket's NEXT game let alone DAYZ !!!

• Like 11

Yeah, I don't know about other people. But capturing on fraps halves my framerate. There is a capture card on the machine, just need to figure out how to use it.

just have to loop the feed into and press record better using a separate PC and splitting the output

just have to loop the feed into and press record better using a separate PC and splitting the output

Or I could just record on low/normal then everyone is pleasantly surprised when it looks better :)

• Like 15

never said you couldnt. but everyones a critic.